Kearny's Tax Increase Nightmare - Part III

Jim Mangin

Kearny’s Tax Increase Nightmare – Part III

In an earlier post I mentioned that the budget presently being considered by Mayor Santos and the Town Council will increase taxes $720 a year on a home assessed at $100,000. Why? The Mayor blames the same villains he’s attributed every increase since becoming mayor – unanticipated increases in health benefits costs, insurance costs, dumping fees and sewage costs. WHAT are we doing to prevent it?

Part III – Dumping Fees – Don’t be misled by this one. The Mayor has blamed rising dumping fees each and every year. Do our rates for dumping garbage rise every year? No, they don’t. The rates rose in 2003 and there is a rate increase coming in 2006. But what about the other years?

The truth is that we are paying more each year to dump our garbage. But my question is, what are we doing about it? If the rates stayed the same, why are we paying more? The increase in garbage needs to be looked at instead of just blaming non-existent rate increases.

For example, in 2004 our garbage tonnage rose significantly. But, our recycling tonnage dropped! What does that tell you? Are we enforcing the recycling ordinances as strictly as we should? Was transferring the Inspectors from the Public Works Dept to the Health Dept a good move three years ago, or did our recycling efforts suffer because of it?

Here’s an example of the example. In 2003 the Town was forced to pick up the garbage from the General Kearny apartments on Belgrove Drive. Cali Carting agreed not to charge the Town for this pick up (John Cali is one of the greatest benefactors this Town has). Part of the 2003 increase in dumping fees was because of the tonnage created by this complex. But, why don’t they have to recycle? Why should the rest of the Town be forced to pay dumping fees for the cans? bottles, newspapers, etc. that the General Kearny apts. should be recycling? Remember, we pay to dump garbage. We get paid for recyclables. I drive past the General Kearny apartments (both Belgrove and Clarke St) six days a week and I’ve never seen one recycling container. Why isn’t this enforced?

Multiply this example by the entire Town and you can see part of the reason why our dumping fees increase year after year. Now is the time to address the problem, instead of just talking about it.

Jim Mangin

• 3 weeks later...
Kearny’s Tax Increase Nightmare – Part III

In an earlier post I mentioned that the budget presently being considered by Mayor Santos and the Town Council will increase taxes $720 a year on a home assessed at $100,000. Why? The Mayor blames the same villains he’s attributed every increase since becoming mayor – unanticipated increases in health benefits costs, insurance costs, dumping fees and sewage costs. WHAT are we doing to prevent it?

Part III – Dumping Fees – Don’t be misled by this one. The Mayor has blamed rising dumping fees each and every year. Do our rates for dumping garbage rise every year? No, they don’t. The rates rose in 2003 and there is a rate increase coming in 2006. But what about the other years?

The truth is that we are paying more each year to dump our garbage. But my question is, what are we doing about it? If the rates stayed the same, why are we paying more? The increase in garbage needs to be looked at instead of just blaming non-existent rate increases.

For example, in 2004 our garbage tonnage rose significantly. But, our recycling tonnage dropped! What does that tell you? Are we enforcing the recycling ordinances as strictly as we should? Was transferring the Inspectors from the Public Works Dept to the Health Dept a good move three years ago, or did our recycling efforts suffer because of it?

Here’s an example of the example. In 2003 the Town was forced to pick up the garbage from the General Kearny apartments on Belgrove Drive. Cali Carting agreed not to charge the Town for this pick up (John Cali is one of the greatest benefactors this Town has). Part of the 2003 increase in dumping fees was because of the tonnage created by this complex. But, why don’t they have to recycle? Why should the rest of the Town be forced to pay dumping fees for the cans? bottles, newspapers, etc. that the General Kearny apts. should be recycling? Remember, we pay to dump garbage. We get paid for recyclables. I drive past the General Kearny apartments (both Belgrove and Clarke St) six days a week and I’ve never seen one recycling container. Why isn’t this enforced?

Multiply this example by the entire Town and you can see part of the reason why our dumping fees increase year after year. Now is the time to address the problem, instead of just talking about it.

Jim Mangin

I thought PART III was Revenge of the Sith. Will PART IV be called A New Hope?

Archived