Kearny's Tax Increase Nightmare - Part I

Jim Mangin

Kearny’s Tax Increase Nightmare – Part I

The budget presently being considered by Mayor Santos and the Town Council will increase taxes $720 a year on a home assessed at $100,000. What’s being done about this? The Mayor attributes this increase to the same villains he’s attributed every increase since becoming mayor – unanticipated increases in health benefits costs, insurance costs, dumping fees and sewage costs. If the same increases occur year after year – they’re no unanticipated, are they? If we know WHY taxes are going up, WHAT are we doing to prevent it?

First - increased health benefits costs. The Mayor and Council should immediately begin charging a copay for health benefits to anyone who works less than full time. That would include the Mayor and Town Council, aide to the mayor, municipal judge, and Assistant Town Attorneys (when Santos became Mayor no Assistant Town Attorney rec’d health benefits. Now at least two, possibly three do). The time to do this is now. Re-appointments will occur in January and this simply needs to be made a condition of re-appointment.

After part-time status enrollees begin paying a copay, it should be expanded to full-time employees with a contract as each contract is renewed, as a condition of renewal. This would include the Business Administrator, Chief Financial Officer, Tax Collector, Town Clerk, Tax Assessor, etc. These officials are not members of a bargaining unit. They have individual contracts.

Once all these enrollees are paying copays for benefits, this should be expanded to the unions as well. During negotiations the Town can then point to the fact that all non-union employees pay a copay for health benefits.

This plan of action will drastically cut the impending tax increase. More than that, it’s a way of dealing with an issue, instead of just paying it lip service. Taxpayers deserve better.

Jim Mangin

The budget presently being considered by Mayor Santos and the Town Council will increase taxes $720 a year on a home assessed at $100,000. What’s being done about this? The Mayor attributes this increase to the same villains he’s attributed every increase since becoming mayor – unanticipated increases in health benefits costs, insurance costs, dumping fees and sewage costs. If the same increases occur year after year – they’re no unanticipated, are they? If we know WHY taxes are going up, WHAT are we doing to prevent it?

First - increased health benefits costs. The Mayor and Council should immediately begin charging a copay for health benefits to anyone who works less than full time. That would include the Mayor and Town Council, aide to the mayor, municipal judge, and Assistant Town Attorneys (when Santos became Mayor no Assistant Town Attorney rec’d health benefits. Now at least two, possibly three do). The time to do this is now. Re-appointments will occur in January and this simply needs to be made a condition of re-appointment.

After part-time status enrollees begin paying a copay, it should be expanded to full-time employees with a contract as each contract is renewed, as a condition of renewal. This would include the Business Administrator, Chief Financial Officer, Tax Collector, Town Clerk, Tax Assessor, etc. These officials are not members of a bargaining unit. They have individual contracts.

Once all these enrollees are paying copays for benefits, this should be expanded to the unions as well. During negotiations the Town can then point to the fact that all non-union employees pay a copay for health benefits.

This plan of action will drastically cut the impending tax increase. More than that, it’s a way of dealing with an issue, instead of just paying it lip service. Taxpayers deserve better.

Jim Mangin

Bravo. Long overdue.

Jim Mangin

Yea he keeps playing the same old song. As if we didn't spend money on anthing else. If these are the only costs we have, our tax rate should be the lowest in the state. But the mayor directs the attention of the pulic to the old whipping horse the employees and garbage pick up. Always trying to say look these are the people that are sticking your money in their pockets and making the taxes go up. But if you notice our Mayor never mentions education costs. No we can't mention that one because we might piss off the teachers. The costs he always puts in his flyer are not as much as the boards share. Which by the way goes up every year. People you put a lot of money in the pockets of board employees and a lot of them live out of town. So don't forget to mention these costs Mayor. Or did Mary say keep that on the down low. After all she is the board president.

Yea he keeps playing the same old song. As if we didn't spend money on anthing else. If these are the only costs we have, our tax rate should be the lowest in the state. But the mayor directs the attention of the pulic to the old whipping horse the employees and garbage pick up. Always trying to say look these are the people that are sticking your money in their pockets and making the taxes go up. But if you notice our Mayor never mentions education costs. No we can't mention that one because we might piss off the teachers. The costs he always puts in his flyer  are not as much as the boards share. Which by the way goes up every year. People you put a lot of money in the pockets of board employees and a lot of them live out of town. So don't forget to mention these costs Mayor. Or did Mary say keep that on the down low. After all she is the board president.

Kis my ass!

Mary

Does anyone else find it curious how Mary Torres craves power; BOE President, Mayor's Aide, KMUA Councilperson? Yet she still tries to remain anonymous by being one of the only people that does not have their picture on any of the websites.

Guest Where's the Beef?

Jim, How much of a co-pay? How much would that save on health insurance costs? We need those numbers otherwise this is all about posturing and making it look like something is being done, no?

Guest Catch 22
Does anyone else find it curious how Mary Torres craves power; BOE President, Mayor's Aide, KMUA Councilperson? Yet she still tries to remain anonymous by being one of the only people that does not have their picture on any of the websites.

I don't know if Mary really craves power, its more likely that she is one of a very choice few that Santos trusts. So he gives her all the jobs. (outside bd. of ed.) The circle is very small and female. I will overcome my strong desire to make a crack about now. LOL

Jim, How much of a co-pay?  How much would that save on health insurance costs?  We need those numbers otherwise this is all about posturing and making it look like something is being done, no?

According to the State Health Benefits website, family coverage costs about $10,000 a year, while prescription and dental coverage cost about $3,000 and $1,000 respectively. That's about $14,000 each for the 13 individuals I identified. A 33% copay (also identified on the SHBP website) would save taxpayers about $60,000 in this fiscal year.

But more importantly it would set the groundwork for additional copays from other groups on the Town payroll. The budget being considered by the Mayor and Council appropriates almost $9 million for employee health benefits. Even a 10% copay would save taxpayers almost $900,000 a year. You have to start somewhere.

My point was that the Mayor blames the rising cost of employee health benefits for the tax increase. But, what's being done about it?

Jim Mangin

Guest Where's the beef?

So let me get this straight -- using your number of 900,000, that would save the average household a little less than one dollar (yes, one dollar) a year (yes, a whole year). Yes, you have to start somewhere, but, Jim, this is a bunch of hot air at the end of the day.

Guest Guest 99
So let me get this straight -- using your number of 900,000, that would save the average household a little less than one dollar (yes, one dollar) a year (yes, a whole year).  Yes, you have to start somewhere, but, Jim, this is a bunch of hot air at the end of the day.

So let me get this straight -- you're an idiot!! Do the math, stupid. Oh wait, you did! And there are over 900,000 households in Kearny. And, at an average of three people per household, that's about 2,700,000 residents, right? No wonder there are no parking spaces. :lol::huh::P:(:lol::lol::huh:

According to the State Health Benefits website, family coverage costs about $10,000 a year, while prescription and dental coverage cost about $3,000 and $1,000 respectively. That's about $14,000 each for the 13 individuals I identified. A 33% copay (also identified on the SHBP website) would save taxpayers about $60,000 in this fiscal year.

But more importantly it would set the groundwork for additional copays from other groups on the Town payroll. The budget being considered by the Mayor and Council appropriates almost $9 million for employee health benefits. Even a 10% copay would save taxpayers almost $900,000 a year. You have to start somewhere.

My point was that the Mayor blames the rising cost of employee health benefits for the tax increase. But, what's being done about it?

Jim Mangin

Hey Jim Mangin

Do you pay, A co-pay at the Kearny Shop Rite?

If you do not why should hard working town employees pay it?

Yes taxes should be cut, Why bame town employees for the high taxes?

Guest Guest_Taxpayer_*
Hey Jim Mangin

I think what former-Councilman Mangin's point was that Mayor Santos has done nothing to save any taxes. He instead has used stop gap measures to fill budget holes. Quess what! there is nothing else to sell, nothing else to borrow, and the gap must be filled by raising property taxes a lot. $1000 per house or more. Mayor Santos says raising taxes is a last resort. Well, it is now the only resort we got left. Mayor Santos talks a good game but his administration has done very little to reign in the spending of our money. Mangin wants to run government as a semi-business. Having employees pay a portion of their health care will weed out anyone that is getting duplicate benefits, those who don't need the benefits (are covered by their spouses) and otherwise make the town employees realize how thankful they should be for having health benefits. Maybe they will be nicer to us taxpayers.

I am sure there are other areas like not filing frivolous appeals on cases you know you will be losing. How much does Castano rake in every year? A lot more than $300,000.

Councilman Mangin continue to express your ideas. Thank God for this website otherwise those of us who realize what's going on would have gone crazy without an outlet because the rest of the folks still have the blinders on. I cannot wait until they realize how poorly our once full-time Mayor Alberto Santos performed his duties.

I think what former-Councilman Mangin's point was that Mayor Santos has done nothing to save any taxes.  He instead has used stop gap measures to fill budget holes.  Quess what! there is nothing else to sell, nothing else to borrow, and the gap must be filled by raising property taxes a lot.  $1000 per house or more.  Mayor Santos says raising taxes is a last resort.  Well, it is now the only resort we got left.  Mayor Santos talks a good game but his administration has done very little to reign in the spending of our money.  Mangin wants to run government as a semi-business.  Having employees pay a portion of their health care will weed out anyone that is getting duplicate benefits, those who don't need the benefits (are covered by their spouses) and otherwise make the town employees realize how thankful they should be for having health benefits.  Maybe they will be nicer to us taxpayers.

I am sure there are other areas like not filing frivolous appeals on cases you know you will be losing.  How much does Castano rake in every year?  A lot more than $300,000.

Councilman Mangin continue to express your ideas.  Thank God for this website otherwise those of us who realize what's going on would have gone crazy without an outlet  because the rest of the folks still have the blinders on.  I cannot wait until they realize how poorly our once full-time Mayor Alberto Santos performed his duties.

He was always in it for his own gain.

Hey Jim Mangin

I'm not blaming Town employees for high taxes. I'm blaming the Mayor for not making any attempt to reduce the costs of health benefits.

And yes, I do pay a copay for my benefits package at Shop Rite. Very few groups in the private sector don't pay copays these days. In fact, to get the same Traditional coverage that Town Council members get through the State Health Benefits Plan I would have to pay a copay of $1,054.66 a month. ( I don't pay that. I opted for a less expensive coverage plan).

Other measure the Town can take would include increasing the payment for an employee who waives their benefits. Or maybe just doing a better job of advertising that the option to waive and receive a payment even exists. I'll bet most employees don't even know they can do that.

Again, let's do something. Anything, besides just talk.

Jim Mangin

So let me get this straight -- using your number of 900,000, that would save the average household a little less than one dollar (yes, one dollar) a year (yes, a whole year).  Yes, you have to start somewhere, but, Jim, this is a bunch of hot air at the end of the day.

Before I respond to this, do you want to clarify or retract anything? Let me know.

Jim Mangin

I'm not blaming Town employees for high taxes. I'm blaming the Mayor for not making any attempt to reduce the costs of health benefits.

And yes, I do pay a copay for my benefits package at Shop Rite. Very few groups in the private sector don't pay copays these days. In fact, to get the same Traditional coverage that Town Council members get through the State Health Benefits Plan I would have to pay a copay of $1,054.66 a month. ( I don't pay that. I opted for a less expensive coverage plan).

Other measure the Town can take would include increasing the payment for an employee who waives their benefits. Or maybe just doing a better job of advertising that the option to waive and receive a payment even exists. I'll bet most employees don't even know they can do that.

Again, let's do something. Anything, besides just talk.

Jim Mangin

How much do employees get for waiving their benefits? Can anyone do it? How much does the town save? :rolleyes:

Guest poorfolk
How much do employees get for waiving their benefits? Can anyone do it? How much does the town save? B)

The town gave employees a choice, when their spouse works for the town and they also do they can give up their benefits and just carry their spouses and then they will receive a check for I think 2000-3000 bonus check for not keeping their benefits.

The town gave employees a choice, when their spouse works for the town and they also do they can give up their benefits and just carry their spouses and then they will receive a check for I think 2000-3000 bonus check for not keeping their benefits.

That's exactly right, except the payment is about $4,500 - at least that's what it was in 2004. The Town saves over $9,000 for every employee that takes advantage. In my opinion it should be promoted more since everyone wins - the employee and the taxpayers.

The legislation was changed recently to include employees of the Board of Education, but the Kearny Board of Ed doesn't offer it. I have no idea why.

Jim Mangin

That's exactly right, except the payment is about $4,500 - at least that's what it was in 2004. The Town saves over $9,000 for every employee that takes advantage. In my opinion it should be promoted more since everyone wins - the employee and the taxpayers.

The legislation was changed recently to include employees of the Board of Education, but the Kearny Board of Ed doesn't offer it. I have no idea why.

Jim Mangin

You'd have to be insane to give up your families insurance coverage for $4500.00.

Jim Mangin

All due respect Jim, but I'm not sure that was solely an employee benefit. Weren't the members of the council, part time employees with jobs elsewhere, also able to partake in this system. Not to trivialize the time and energies of the council, but if this is a financial benefit to them, I think it needs to be noted.

R.I.F. (Reading is fundamental)

They are not giving it up.  They have coverage through their spouse.

R. I. A. (Read it again) jackass.

They are giving up their coverage through the town of Kearny to be covered by their spouses benefits program. The problem is is that most of the town employees are to stupid to realize that Kearny provides a top flight benefits package and their spouses benefits probably pale by comparison. So they've just given up a great benefits program for a lousy $4500.00.

What happens when their spouse benefits hit their max, or when something is not covered.

Once again, you'd have to be insane to give up a benefits program provided by a municipal government for $4500.00.

R. I. A. (Read it again) jackass. 

They are giving up their coverage through the town of Kearny to be covered by their spouses benefits program.  The problem is is that most of the town employees are to stupid to realize that Kearny provides a top flight benefits package and their spouses benefits probably pale by comparison.  So they've just given up a great benefits program for a lousy $4500.00. 

What happens when their spouse benefits hit their max, or when something is not covered.

Once again, you'd have to be insane to give up a benefits program provided by a municipal government for $4500.00.

Try again.

Read this very carefully:

I was talking about this scenario. WHEN BOTH WORK FOR THE TOWN.

I expect an apology.

Archived