Council To Blame

Guest 2smart4u

Guest 2smart4u

As much as we all agree that the mayor is making a huge blunder with this stadium nonsense. The taxpayers of Harrison need to understand that the Town Council controls the "purse strings". The Town Council controls the finances and any mayor in any town can only spend the money that the town council gives him. If the Council decided that this stadium deal is a joke ( which it certainly is) and voted against it, then the mayor is out of luck, the stadium's dead.

So don't let your council person off the hook, if this $40,000,000 deal goes through, blame your councilman and vote his a-s out of office.

As much as we all agree that the mayor is making a huge blunder with this stadium nonsense. The taxpayers of Harrison need to understand that the Town Council controls the "purse strings".  The Town Council controls the finances and any mayor in any town can only spend the money that the town council gives him. If the Council decided that this stadium deal is a joke ( which it certainly is) and voted against it,  then the mayor is out of luck, the stadium's dead.

So don't let your council person off the hook, if this $40,000,000 deal goes through, blame your councilman and vote his a-s out of office.

I can't wait for Doran's newsletter about this one.

(Wait, was that Peter smiling?)

Guest Yankee Fan

Sports fans complain loudly, and engage in robust arguments with opposing fans. They have a long memory. I know because my small Connecticut home town was split down the middle‚ Red Sox fans on one side and Yankee fans on the other. The Red Sox fans never let us forget that their team gave the Yankees their best early players, including Babe Ruth.

Except for one or two fervent issues, voters tend to give politicians a free ride about dozens of other positions that may affect them adversely in their daily lives and dreams of a better future for their children. Single-issue voters are easily captured by politicians who support them on that issue and are allowed to escape accountability for dozens of other subjects.

Guest 2smart4u
Let's not forget who the mayor "hand" picks to be a councilman!!!

All you need to turn things around in this town is to have 4 council people united together. 4 votes can defeat any hare-brained idea the mayor or anyone else comes up with. Do we have 4 such brave people on the council now ?? Doesn't appear that way, does it. We sure didn't have them when the mayor proposed building a stadium holding 25,000 people and a parking deck holding 1,500 cars, with the proceeds going to the COUNTY. We sure didn't have them when the mayor decided to bring 7,000 new housing units into town, despite having severly overcrowded schools. We sure didn't have them when the mayor sold the high school stadium before a replacement was ready. Don't let ANY COUNCILMAN off the hook for the things that have occured in Harrison, they're all responsible. They had the power to do the right thing AND THEY BLINKED.

Guest Senior Harrisonian
All you need to turn things around in this town is to have 4 council people united together. 4 votes can defeat any hare-brained idea the mayor or anyone else comes up with. Do we have 4 such brave people on the council now ??  Doesn't appear that way, does it.  We sure didn't have them when the mayor proposed building a stadium holding 25,000 people and a parking deck holding 1,500 cars, with the proceeds going to the COUNTY. We sure didn't have them when the mayor decided to bring 7,000 new housing units into town, despite having severly overcrowded schools. We sure didn't have them when the mayor sold the high school  stadium before a replacement was ready.  Don't let ANY COUNCILMAN off the hook for the things that have occured in Harrison, they're all responsible. They had the power to do the right thing AND THEY BLINKED.

I've lived in Harrison for a long time and I can tell you I've never known a councilman that thought for himself. For whatever reason, they've all been puppets of the mayor. I don't see any of them as having the b--ls to say no to the mayor. Another poster said the council controls the finances, the town's money. He's exactly right. The mayor is by law supposed to submit an annual budget to the town council for approval or rejection. I've never heard of ANY town council member voting against ANYTHING the mayor proposed in ANY year. Look at this $40,000,000 bond issue. Has anyone heard of ONE COUNCILMAN voting against this outragious amount of money to build a stadium and parking deck whose receipts are going to the COUNTY. NOT ONE COUNCILMAN THOUGHT THIS WAS A BAD IDEA ??? I rest my case !!

I've lived in Harrison for a long time and I can tell you I've never known a councilman that thought for himself. For whatever reason, they've all been puppets of the mayor. I don't see any of them as having the b--ls to say no to the mayor. Another poster said the council controls the finances, the town's money. He's exactly right.  The mayor is by law supposed to submit an  annual budget to the town council for approval or rejection.  I've never heard of ANY town council member voting against ANYTHING the mayor proposed in ANY year.  Look at this $40,000,000 bond issue. Has anyone heard of ONE COUNCILMAN voting against this outragious amount of money to build a stadium and parking deck  whose receipts are going to the COUNTY. NOT ONE COUNCILMAN THOUGHT THIS WAS A BAD IDEA ???  I rest my case !!

The only councilman who looked out for whether something made financial sense was Councilman Millan. You probably voted against him because the Mayor lied about his record. The "My People" councilman had more balls and ethics than the Mayor and his "Yes Mayor" councilmen. The conflicts of interest abound and yet the AG's office, Hudson County prosecutor's office and the Feds have done nothing. They better hurry up before the Mayor sells town hall to the developers.

stop beating a dead horse, milan was and is as bad as all the polititions in this town, but he was a little more obvious about who came first and it was himself above all others because it was all about him.

stop beating a dead horse, Millan was and is as bad as all the polititions in this town, but he was a little more obvious about who came first and it was himself above all others because it was all about him.
HOW THE HELL CAN YOU SAY THAT. PLEASE BACK YOUR COMMENT UP. Because Mr. Millan cared more about Harrison then anyone on that council and it cost him his seat. Mr Millans list is long. He used to say he stands on his record.

Hence I'll remind you of his record:

-Millions in grant money

-The NPP program (which now is dissolved)

--------Which gave a grant to fix under 280

--------Which gave the grant money to put new lights on Harrison ave

--------------Which was supposed to put new lights on FER BLVD, new sidewalks (like Kearny), Gave property owners CDBG (Community Development Block Grants) to fix facades of buildings

--------Which gave money for the Gazebo at the High school

{Mr. POWELL TOOK CREDIT FOR MOST OF THESE PROJECTS & YOU NEVER HEARD $HIT FROM MR. MILLAN, BECAUSE HE ONCE TOLD ME "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO TAKES CREDIT, AS LONG AS THE JOB GETS DONE"}

-the first snow melting machine

-The Beautification committee

-(out of office) Stopped a major catastrophe not allowing the town to buy 81 homes, because he for saw that the state was going to run out of money. If he didn't stop this, the town would have purchased those homes, like they did in Newark and 4 other towns and are vacant this current day, filled maybe with drug addicts.

-He painted under 280

-The Harrison Fest (which has dramatically lost money the last 3 years)by the way has anyone seen the financial statement from the fest????

-The Christmas lights (which are now paid with tax payers money)

-Various Senior Citizen projects

-Starting a recycling program

-Raising money to give High School Graduates Scholarships for College (through the Harrison Fest)

-He's the only one that challenged the Mayor

-He's the only one that went to School after he got in office, so he can better himself

HERE ARE MY FACTS. SHOW ME YOURS

Guest Angry Taxpayer
HOW THE HELL CAN YOU SAY THAT.  PLEASE BACK YOUR COMMENT UP.  Because Mr. Millan cared more about Harrison then anyone on that council and it cost him his seat.  Mr Millans list is long.  He used to say he stands on his record.

Hence I'll remind you of his record:

-Millions in grant money

-The NPP program (which now is dissolved)

--------Which gave a grant to fix under 280

--------Which gave the grant money to put new lights on Harrison ave

--------------Which was supposed to put new lights on FER BLVD, new sidewalks (like Kearny), Gave property owners CDBG (Community Development Block Grants) to fix facades of buildings

--------Which gave money for the Gazebo at the High school

{Mr. POWELL TOOK CREDIT FOR MOST OF THESE PROJECTS & YOU NEVER HEARD $HIT FROM MR. MILLAN, BECAUSE HE ONCE TOLD ME "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO TAKES CREDIT, AS LONG AS THE JOB GETS DONE"}

-the first snow melting machine

-The Beautification committee

-(out of office) Stopped a major catastrophe not allowing the town to buy 81 homes, because he for saw that the state was going to run out of money.  If he didn't stop this, the town would have purchased those homes, like they did in Newark and 4 other towns and are vacant this current day, filled maybe with drug addicts.

-He painted under 280

-The Harrison Fest  (which has dramatically lost money the last 3 years)by the way has anyone seen the financial statement from the fest????

-The Christmas lights (which are now paid with tax payers money)

-Various Senior Citizen projects

-Starting a recycling program

-Raising money to give High School Graduates Scholarships for College (through the Harrison Fest)

-He's the only one that challenged the Mayor

-He's the only one that went to School after he got in office, so he can better himself

HERE ARE MY FACTS. SHOW ME YOURS

The residents of Harrison should be outraged over the actions of this town council. Consider this; a council persons main responsibility is to represent their constituency, the people of their ward. Where was this responsibility when they took the vote on the $40,000,000 for this stadium deal ?? Was ANY town resident asked for an opinion or thought before they voted on this ?? I can't find any evidence of anyone knowing about this vote. At the next meeting, ask your councilman why you can't ask a question or discuss a topic that's not on the agenda. The council sets the rules of the meeting, not the mayor. Why doesn't your councilman want you to talk ?? Is that the way he represents you ?? The residents of Harrison have to stop being sheep and demand to be heard. This is your town if you use your vote to control it. Join me at the next meeting and demand change or there's going to be a house cleaning next year.

Archived