Tragedy in Harrison

Guest Former Town Resident

As I see it , my home town is in the middle of an ongoing , unfolding tragedy. The tragedy is being caused by many poor decisions. A decision to build 7,000 new housing unit which will result in thousands of additional kids enrolling in the school system. A school system that is already overcrowded and using trailers as classrooms. A decision to build a soccer stadium in a town that's already overcrowded. A decision to build a 1,500 space parking garage to handle a 25,000 seat stadium. A decision to float a 38 million dollar bond issue to facilitate the building of the stadium. That's $38,000,000. on the Town "credit card" which will be the responsibility of the town residents to pay off. That's something like a family that doesn't have enough income to pay it's bills, going out and buying a Lexus on their Master Card. A decision to sell the only place in town where the high school kids can play sports before a replacement was ready. A decision not to include passive recreational space ( grass, trees, park benches, a place to fly a kite or throw a frizbee ) within the redevelopment area. A decision not to hold public hearings on this whole redevelopment issue, to see what the town residents want. To see if the town residents wants a soccer stadium, to see if they want to incur 38 million in debt to build it. A decision to not let residents speak openly at council meetings to voice their concerns or opinions (the only town I know of with that policy). In my opinion, these decisions have pointed Harrison down a road where "quality of life" is not considered. It seems the only goal is to cram a house onto every undersized lot in town, to develop every square inch with new housing or commercial space. And if you think that all this new development will lower your taxes, forget it. The increased need for police and fire protection, garbage pick-up, sanitation costs and school costs will eat away at any potential savings. I can only imagine what it will look like the first time this stadium has a sell-out event. 25,000 people in maybe 8,000 cars trying to get into a 1,500 car parking garage.

As I see it , my home town is in the middle of an ongoing , unfolding tragedy. The tragedy is being caused by many poor decisions. A decision  to build 7,000 new housing unit which will result in thousands of additional kids enrolling in the school system. A school system  that is already overcrowded and using trailers as classrooms.  A decision to build a soccer stadium in a town that's already overcrowded. A decision to build a 1,500 space parking garage to handle a 25,000 seat stadium. A decision to float a 38 million dollar bond issue to facilitate the building of the stadium. That's $38,000,000. on the Town "credit card" which will be the responsibility of the town residents to pay off. That's something like a family that doesn't have enough income to pay it's bills, going out and buying a Lexus on their Master Card. A decision to sell the only place in town where the high school kids can play sports before a replacement was ready. A decision not to include passive recreational space ( grass, trees, park benches, a place to fly a kite or throw a frizbee  ) within the redevelopment area. A decision not to hold public hearings on this whole redevelopment issue, to see what the town residents want. To see if the town residents wants a soccer stadium, to see if they want to incur 38 million in debt to build it. A decision to not let residents speak openly at  council meetings to voice their concerns or opinions (the only town I know of with that policy). In my opinion, these decisions have pointed Harrison down a road where "quality of life" is not considered. It seems the only goal is to cram a house onto every undersized lot in town, to develop every square inch with new housing or commercial space.  And if you think that all this new development will lower your taxes, forget it. The increased need for police and fire protection, garbage pick-up, sanitation costs  and school costs  will eat away at any potential savings. I can only imagine what it will look like the first time this stadium has a sell-out event. 25,000 people in maybe 8,000 cars  trying to get into a 1,500 car parking garage.

So well said and so true!!!

Each and every town official should be ashamed of him or herself.

Our proposed soccer stadium is nothing but a different and enlarged version of Millan's flea market. Welcome to the Third World Redevelopment Project!

And all of this took nearly 10 years of paying thousands of dollars to consultants and lawyers to come up with.

Higgins, McDonough, and Doran should bow their heads in shame.

But you'll have all the town employees out on the next mayoral election day, knocking on doors to protect their paychecks and pensions. And guess what? If you hear a lot of huffing and puffing at your door that day, do not be alarmed. It will be the brother of the deceased councilman (still in office though). And, as you will see, he has a lot of reason for the huffing and puffing.

Guest Old Harrisonian
As I see it , my home town is in the middle of an ongoing , unfolding tragedy. The tragedy is being caused by many poor decisions. A decision  to build 7,000 new housing unit which will result in thousands of additional kids enrolling in the school system. A school system  that is already overcrowded and using trailers as classrooms.  A decision to build a soccer stadium in a town that's already overcrowded. A decision to build a 1,500 space parking garage to handle a 25,000 seat stadium. A decision to float a 38 million dollar bond issue to facilitate the building of the stadium. That's $38,000,000. on the Town "credit card" which will be the responsibility of the town residents to pay off. That's something like a family that doesn't have enough income to pay it's bills, going out and buying a Lexus on their Master Card. A decision to sell the only place in town where the high school kids can play sports before a replacement was ready. A decision not to include passive recreational space ( grass, trees, park benches, a place to fly a kite or throw a frizbee  ) within the redevelopment area. A decision not to hold public hearings on this whole redevelopment issue, to see what the town residents want. To see if the town residents wants a soccer stadium, to see if they want to incur 38 million in debt to build it. A decision to not let residents speak openly at  council meetings to voice their concerns or opinions (the only town I know of with that policy). In my opinion, these decisions have pointed Harrison down a road where "quality of life" is not considered. It seems the only goal is to cram a house onto every undersized lot in town, to develop every square inch with new housing or commercial space.  And if you think that all this new development will lower your taxes, forget it. The increased need for police and fire protection, garbage pick-up, sanitation costs  and school costs  will eat away at any potential savings. I can only imagine what it will look like the first time this stadium has a sell-out event. 25,000 people in maybe 8,000 cars  trying to get into a 1,500 car parking garage.

I have to agree with everything you say. It's sad to see the way Harrison is going. And I think these 7,000 new housing units and soccer stadium will be the final nails in the coffin.

Guest Also A Former Town Resident

Well said, Former Town Resident. As a former town resident myself, it's sad to see what's happening to Harrison. Do you think Frank Rodgers would have agreed to selling the stadium before a replacement was available ? I don't think so. Do you think Frank would want an additional 7,000 housing units being built in town ? Or a soccer stadium ? I doubt it . How about a 1,500 space parking garage to handle a 25,000 seat stadium ?? Hard to believe. I would encourage all high school seniors and their families and friends to remember how you didn't have a homecoming game, to remember how this mayor and council deprived you of the fun of attending home games this fall with your friends. I would hope you will all register for the election next year and show the mayor and council the same courtesy and consideration they gave you this year. SHOW THEM THE DOOR !!

So well said and so true!!!

Each and every town official should be ashamed of him or herself.

Our proposed soccer stadium is nothing but a different and enlarged version of Millan's flea market.  Welcome to the Third World Redevelopment Project!

And all of this took nearly 10 years of paying thousands of dollars to consultants and lawyers to come up with.

Higgins, McDonough, and Doran should bow their heads in shame.

But you'll have all the town employees out on the next mayoral election day, knocking on doors to protect their paychecks and pensions.  And guess what?  If you hear a lot of huffing and puffing at your door that day, do not be alarmed.  It will be the brother of the deceased councilman (still in office though).  And, as you will see, he has a lot of reason for the huffing and puffing.

I agree 100% but most town employees could care less because they dont live in town but for the ones that do they will back you up in your argument.

Guest HHS Senior
Well said, Former Town Resident. As a former town resident myself, it's sad  to see what's happening to Harrison. Do you think Frank Rodgers would have agreed to selling the stadium before a replacement was available ?  I don't think so.  Do you think Frank would want an additional 7,000 housing units being built in town ? Or a soccer stadium ?  I doubt it . How about a 1,500 space parking garage to handle a 25,000 seat stadium ?? Hard to believe.  I would encourage all high school seniors and their families and friends to remember how you didn't have a homecoming game, to remember how this mayor and council deprived you of the fun of attending home games this fall with your friends. I would hope you will all register for the election next year and show the mayor and council the same courtesy and consideration they gave you this year. SHOW THEM THE DOOR !!

As a senior in high school I am really mad over not having a stadium for our soccer and football teams. The senior class is organizing to vote in next years election. We're going to register to vote and let the mayor know how we all feel about him cheating us out of the fun we should be having in our senior year.

Guest Town Resident
As a senior in high school I am really mad over not having a stadium for our soccer and football teams. The senior class is organizing to vote in next years election. We're going to register to vote and let the mayor  know how we all feel about him cheating us out of the fun we should be having in our senior year.

Way to go Seniors !!! Remember, together you have the POWER to change things. You have an opportunity to send a message to the mayor and council; "PAYBACK IS A B---- !!

Guest 2smart4u
Way to go Seniors !!!  Remember, together you have the POWER to change things. You have an opportunity to send a message to the mayor and council; "PAYBACK IS A B---- !!

Here's another message you can send to the mayor and council; "If we can't speak at council meetings, we will do our talking in the election booth".

to you former harrison residents, why are you so concerned about the tow of harrison, you all have left and abandoned the town amd now show concern. if you are so worried about the town move back!!!!!!!!!

to you former harrison residents,  why are you so concerned about the tow of harrison, you all have left and abandoned the  town amd now show concern.  if you are so worried about the town move back!!!!!!!!!

Abandoned the town ?? LOL

seniors show some guts.... request McD does not speak at your graduation in June 2006... that's what it is really all about....that's fire and desire....will last with you forever... i'll help in any way...

to you former harrison residents,  why are you so concerned about the tow of harrison, you all have left and abandoned the  town amd now show concern.  if you are so worried about the town move back!!!!!!!!!

you're very well understood... but...

certain they're people who leave and i don't blame them...

needed... those who want a "better harrison"

ask them why they left....

Archived