Kearny gone down

Guest Guest

Does anyone realize how bad things are in Kearny? What is the tax rate now? What do you get for that money spent? Boy! Santos is really giving you quality of life. How do all the workers feel that own homes in town and pay high taxes then get blamed for the tax increase? Kearny use to be a decent place to live, we had a hospital, there was local business that thrived,and heavy industry that employed most of the comunity. What has happened? People it's time for change both in state and local governments. Remember the town has to pay back all the bond money that will be comeing due. Who will Santos blame then?

Does anyone realize how bad things are in Kearny? What is the tax rate now? What do you get for that money spent? Boy! Santos is really giving you quality of life. How do all the workers feel that own homes in town and pay high taxes then get blamed for the tax increase? Kearny use to be a decent place to live, we had a hospital, there was local business that thrived,and heavy industry that employed most of the comunity. What has happened? People it's time for change both in state and local governments. Remember the town has to pay back all the bond money that will be comeing due. Who will Santos blame then?

I've noticed. I have also noticed the following:

1) Have you noticed how many homes there are for sale in Kearny? Just around my house there are 4.

2) As mayor of this town he should have done everything he could to stop that prison for sex offenders from coming into town.

3) As a mayor he should had stayed out of the LaClair /Paszkiewicz issue. That has nothing to do with his job as Mayor. It was out of his pervue and it was the responsibility of the "ELECTED" school board, but he chose to stand against the people and values of this town to promote an atheist agenda.

Portuguese people might feel some loyalty to Santos, however he is not the best representative of our values. As a community we are very religious. It's not enough to say you believe in God, but your actions have to demonstrate it. Nobody is perfect, we all sin, but he made it clear that the very mention of God has no place in public life. Can we expect God's blessings under such leadership?

The first sentence says it all. Typical right wing screed.

Guest Radagast

Not that I'm above partisan political rants but let's call a spade a spade .. that's what you just did.

Yes real estate taxes went up. They went up all over New Jersey.

I've been around municipal government for a very long time and one thing is constant: local politicians over the years have had less and less control over municipal spending and taxes. State mandates, school and county spending have installed more burden than any other items. That's not to say that municipal officials are without blame in any municipality. Mayor Santos is not to blame for all of Kearny's problems. The worst ones have been festering for decades.

However, I go back to the old saying that; 'It's not my fault but it is my problem'. The current governing body will eventually be taken to task if the problems continue to blossom.

Perhaps we could expand our discussion here. Can some of the great minds on this board write about Kearny problems?... Bryan, Paul, Strife ... and Loki and Observer from the old days but who still read and sometimes contribute? We aren't going to agree but we should still have our say.

I haven't commented on local issues in a long time myself but with this heavy tax burden maybe it's time for at least a few constructive ideas from our peanut gallery ... for the sake of the Town we live in? Maybe?

BTW - RIP Jim Cantlon. A person who served this Town with distinction and who always loved it.

3) As a mayor he should had stayed out of the LaClair /Paszkiewicz issue. That has nothing to do with his job as Mayor. It was out of his pervue and it was the responsibility of the "ELECTED" school board, but he chose to stand against the people and values of this town to promote an atheist agenda.

Atheist agenda (I wonder what you would have called it had he spoken out in favor of Paszkiewicz...)? The man's Catholic (iirc)! He recognized the violation of the Constitution and made a statement to that effect. He said nothing about anyone's beliefs, as he too recognized that this is not about "atheism vs. Christianity," and never was.

Paszkiewicz preached in school, and that's not okay. That's the bottom line. Deal with it--this is not the theocracy you're looking for.

[santos] made it clear that the very mention of God has no place in public life.

Bullshit. This is just your persecution complex talking. Imagine how much exaggeration/twisting must occur in one mind for one to skew a man's statement on the fact that Paszkiewicz's actions were unconstitutional, into a statement "that the very mention of God has no place in public life."

Give me a break. Until the government starts forcibly tearing down Christian churches, you idiots have no justification for whining about how "persecuted" you are. You have more freedom to 'do your thing' here than practically anywhere else on this planet--how about showing some appreciation for your freedom, instead of trying to abuse it?

This country does not belong solely to its religious majority--it belongs to every last one of its citizens. Our most fundamental laws dictate that no extension of the government (including employees paid with tax dollars) may endorse any religion over any other. Deal with it.

Guest Town Watch
Not that I'm above partisan political rants but let's call a spade a spade .. that's what you just did.

I've been around municipal government for a very long time and one thing is constant: local politicians over the years have had less and less control over municipal spending and taxes. State mandates, school and county spending have installed more burden than any other items. That's not to say that municipal officials are without blame in any municipality. Mayor Santos is not to blame for all of Kearny's problems. The worst ones have been festering for decades.

However, I go back to the old saying that; 'It's not my fault but it is my problem'. The current governing body will eventually be taken to task if the problems continue to blossom.

Perhaps we could expand our discussion here. Can some of the great minds on this board write about Kearny problems?... Bryan, Paul, Strife ... and Loki and Observer from the old days but who still read and sometimes contribute? We aren't going to agree but we should still have our say.

I haven't commented on local issues in a long time myself but with this heavy tax burden maybe it's time for at least a few constructive ideas from our peanut gallery ... for the sake of the Town we live in? Maybe?

BTW - RIP Jim Cantlon. A person who served this Town with distinction and who always loved it.

This is the same spin control used everytime somebody puts this Mayor against the wall and makes him accountable. He was the same Mayor Santos that held other past Mayors to task on property taxes, the water deal etc, The fact remains this Mayor has not made things better for Kearny, he made them worse and with no end in sight. As a lifelong resident of Kearny, I have seen my town services go down in the last 7 years to the point that for what we pay in taxes we don't get the same in return . Mr Santos has done nothing to improve the quality of life in Kearny. The recall election process is the only way you can get the attention of the citizens of Kearny. Lets start by sending this Mayor a message that we have had enough. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

I've noticed.  I have also noticed the following:

1) Have you noticed how many homes there are for sale in Kearny? Just around my house there are 4.

2) As mayor of this town he should have done everything he could to stop that prison for sex offenders from coming into town.

An "atheist agenda" ? Really? Paszkiewics cleary had a "christain agenda" in a PUBLIC SCHOOL CLASSROOM! But I guess that's ok, right? Because it's all about Christianity and that cannot be criticized by any means. I repsect the values of the LaClairs more that any of your religious drivel. I only wish you were as passionate about the constitution as your are your precious little bible. Screw you and your "religion"!

This is the same spin control used everytime somebody puts this Mayor against the wall and makes him accountable. He was the same Mayor Santos that held other past Mayors to task on property taxes, the water deal etc, The fact remains this Mayor has not made things better for Kearny, he made them worse and with no end in sight. As a lifelong resident of Kearny, I have seen my town services go down in the last 7 years to the point that for what we pay in taxes we don't get the same in return . Mr Santos has done nothing to improve the quality of life in Kearny. The recall election process is the only way you can get the attention of the citizens of Kearny. Lets start by sending this Mayor a message that we have had enough. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

Be sure to incessantly talk about it on this forum instead of actually doing anything. That'll be sure to work.

Guest common cents

Why is it that these local Mayors don't organize and lobby trenton and through party association relate how hard some of these mandates make things. Lets be honest all these guys take care of them selves not the tax payer. Answer this, why do they bond for money when their already in debt. Paul I know you prefer to see things as right or left, but these issues transcend political leanings. It's about considering the tax payer and their need to make ends meet.

You cant get enough voters needed to get a recall to come out in the GENERAL election ..what makes you think you'd get the 2/3 of elliglble voters out for a recall??? Pipe Dreams. Lets face it the VAST majority of Kearnyites are apathetic...simple little sheep, happy to munch on their grass, thinking (sort of) happy, peaceful thoughts.

The first sentence says it all. Typical right wing screed.

You say you are open minded but anything you do not understand immediately goes under "right wing". Free thought is a wonderful thing. You should try to get out and experience it.

Atheist agenda (I wonder what you would have called it had he spoken out in favor of Paszkiewicz...)? The man's Catholic (iirc)! He recognized the violation of the Constitution and made a statement to that effect. He said nothing about anyone's beliefs, as he too recognized that this is not about "atheism vs. Christianity," and never was.

Paszkiewicz preached in school, and that's not okay. That's the bottom line. Deal with it--this is not the theocracy you're looking for.

You seem to have a harder time dealing with it than anyone. At least the teacher was doing something good for this town. I give him a lot of credit for the character he has shown in all this. What is your claim to fame instead of name calling here?

You seem to have a harder time dealing with it than anyone. At least the teacher was doing something good for this town.  I give him a lot of credit for the character he has shown in all this. What is your claim to fame instead of name calling here?

Don't spin the topic to the Mattygate issue lets stick to the topic. OK kids.

You seem to have a harder time dealing with it than anyone.

Even those claiming "atheist agenda"s long after the fact? No, I don't think so. :)

At least the teacher was doing something good for this town.

You mean when he opened his mouth to lie, or when he shut it to not protect his student?

I give him a lot of credit for the character he has shown in all this. What is your claim to fame instead of name calling here?

Paszkiewicz has a claim to infamy, not fame. :P He turned Kearny into a laughingstock worldwide, remember? Do you consider lying and refusing to fess up to one's wrongdoings any kind of respectable "character?" Honestly, now.

Even those claiming "atheist agenda"s long after the fact? No, I don't think so. :)

You mean when he opened his mouth to lie, or when he shut it to not protect his student?

Paszkiewicz has a claim to infamy, not fame. :P He turned Kearny into a laughinstock worldwide, remember? Do you consider lying and refusing to fess up to one's wrongdoings any kind of respectable "character?" Honestly, now.

Well I guess your intent is to draw attention from this issue, Kearnys condition and the Mayor. I find that suspect and counter produtive to the topic. Please take your anger else where. Cut the spim job. ok? Thank you in advance.

Do you consider lying and refusing to fess up to one's wrongdoings any kind of respectable "character?" Honestly, now.

Of course they do. These people do not idolize Paszkiewicz because they believe him innocent, but because they believe him guilty. The hate the LaClairs for much the same reason that robbers hate security systems.

A word used by a person that knows a word and is trying to impress.

Or maybe it just seems that way to someone whose level of vocabulary is that much lower. :o

"Screed" is not that rare/obscure a word. Your post would be a much more suitable criticism of someone who normally has a low level of vocabulary, but seems to 'learn' a new, fairly-advanced word and then tosses into every sentence possible. You know, like 2dim and "bloviate," a word that's over 10 times rarer on the Internet than "screed." (http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=screed&word2=bloviate)

;)