Council Meeting Time Poll

Guest New To Harrison

Guest New To Harrison

Today I called 27 towns in NJ, to see at what time their council meetings were held. 24 responded that their meetings began at 7:30, 3 stated they began at 8:00. I also asked if the public was allowed to speak at the meetings. In all cases, all 27 towns stated that yes, they had a public session at the beginning of the meeting. It varied as to the time each person was allowed to speak, most stated 5 minutes, a few stated there was no set limit , it was up to the council president to decide on the time alloted. Also, every town, without exception, said the public was entitled to question every resolution, ordinance, and bond issues as it was introduced.

Finally, I asked it the town had a second, private council meeting, where the public wasn't allowed in. I was told that was illegal, all town business had to be conducted in open session, with one exception. Any personnel issues could be discussed in closed session.

Think about this, fellow voters, at the next election.

Today I called 27 towns in NJ, to see at what time their council meetings were held.  24 responded that their meetings began at 7:30, 3 stated they began at 8:00. I also asked if the public was allowed to speak at the meetings. In all cases, all 27 towns stated that yes, they had a public session at the beginning of the meeting. It varied as to the time each person was allowed to speak, most stated 5 minutes, a few stated there was no set limit , it was up to the council president to decide on the time alloted. Also, every town, without exception, said the public was entitled to question every resolution, ordinance, and bond issues as it was introduced.

Finally, I asked it the town had a second, private council meeting, where the public wasn't allowed in. I was told that was illegal, all town business had to be conducted in open session, with one exception. Any personnel  issues could be discussed in closed session.

Think about this, fellow voters, at the next election.

This is very interesting, but why not report this to the state. Putting it on the Kearny web is not going to solve anything.

Guest Town Resident
This is very interesting, but why not report this to the state.  Putting it on the Kearny web is not going to solve anything.

Good grief, man. He says he's new to town, he's trying to change this BS government. And all you can say is very interesting?? People like you are why this town is so f----- up .

Good grief, man.  He says he's new to town, he's trying to change this BS government.  And all you can say is very interesting??  People like you are why this town is so f----- up .

Wow, when was the last time you got l**d? It sounds like you could use "some".

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Good grief, man.  He says he's new to town, he's trying to change this BS government.  And all you can say is very interesting??  People like you are why this town is so f----- up .

Isn't that what Tom Powell did? He came from out of town and took over.

Archived