MY BRAIN HURTS

Guest Can't Take It Anymore

Guest Can't Take It Anymore

What a hassle it was at Customs!

By Lisa Pezzolla

Last weekend, I flew to Montreal to share a 25th wedding anniversary with dear friends I have not seen in a few years. For years, I always wanted to go to the International Jazz Festival of Montreal and it so happened it was the same weekend I would be visiting. I finally had the opportunity to go to the festival. It was fantastic: free parking, free concert and a perfect evening of music. The crowd was polite as the concert ended. As the crowd broke up, everyone walked away singing.

We lucked out: our car was walking distance from the stage, and the evening had called for rain. And the last time the rain came down was when I landed. Otherwise, there was sunshine the whole weekend.

The sunshine came to a halt as I entered American Customs at the airport on my way home.

I am definitely one for strong security for airlines. But the scrutiny I went through was over and above normal. I was searched by a man who used a metal detector for at least 15 minutes. Then, they searched all my luggage and my purse. While they were in my luggage, they even checked the tops of my pants.

By no means am I complaining — the security aspect is important. But considering the evolving world of technology, one would think it wouldn’t be as much of a time-consuming event as it was for me going through customs. Technology, by now, should make it easier. Sure, it’s a post-Sept. 11, 2001 world. But I can only hope there are improvements and upgrades on their way.

Guest CAN YOU SAY 'PULITZER'?

The bridge stands tall

By Lisa Pezzolla

Observer Publisher

Last Thursday, we all learned about the water main break that happened along Kearny Avenue by either being caught in traffic or maybe having seen all the news helicopters that were hovering overhead taking live shots. It all happened so quickly. But there’s certainly one thing the water main break taught us:?Just how important the Jones Memorial Bridge actually is.

When you think about it, was there ever a time you thought to yourself how we take for granted how we get around town??Chances are that thought never crossed your mind.

But when you think that there was once a chance the bridge on Kearny Avenue could have collapsed or that it might have had to be taken down, it’s alarming.

It could have easily been a tragedy of its own kind for the local businesses located in the area of the bridge, as well as other Kearny Avenue businesses. It became a difficult task to get around Kearny that day. So to say the least, it is fortunate the bridge survived, and for that, we should all be grateful to the people who helped to save it.

Guest Better Than Drugs!

Community feel only a newspaper can make

By Lisa Pezzolla

In this day and age, everyone is shopping online and communicating through the Internet. Over the years, the Internet has put many newspapers in fear of the future of our industry.

I personally still feel strongly about the strength of local weekly newspapers. We touch a market that daily newspapers and online news agencies are unable to reach.

Let’s face it, if you come home late and don’t have time to read your daily newspaper, you would have had missed the news. With a weekly, it sits in the home, usually all week, and the writing is designed not to go stale quickly.

A weekly newspaper has a community friendship that we can touch and relate to.

Here at The Observer, we often have readers who stop in and share their thoughts and opinions on stories that have appeared in the newspaper.

After 120 years in business, The Observer is still an institution in the community, and has always been something readers look forward to each and every week.

When I wrote about my mother’s stay in the hospital, I received phone calls, letters and cards wishing her a speedy recovery. That is special in and of itsself — and brought a smile to my face.

So while we have embraced new technology — mainly the Internet, with our Web site — we’re still fortunate to be a weekly newspaper. It’s the paper, not the technology, that people appreciate most.

And for that, I am most grateful.

Dear Suzanne Somers,

Two years ago I read your first book, because of the information I was ready and for my journey of craziness. With the information knowledgeable reported recently on hormones and breast cancer I would like to educate my readers on a more natural approach. I was going to share my experience and was hoping to be able to have my editor speak to you or get a quote from you personally.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest KearnyRez

OK, OK, everybody knows the Pezzollas are illiterate and ignorant. There's nothing new here.

By Lisa Pezzolla

In this day and age, everyone is shopping online and communicating through the Internet. Over the years, the Internet has put many newspapers in fear of the future of our industry.

I personally still feel strongly about the strength of local weekly newspapers. We touch a market that daily newspapers and online news agencies are unable to reach.

Let’s face it, if you come home late and don’t have time to read your daily newspaper, you would have had missed the news. With a weekly, it sits in the home, usually all week, and the writing is designed not to go stale quickly.

Here at The Observer, we often have readers who stop in and share their thoughts and opinions on stories that have appeared in the newspaper.

After 120 years in business, The Observer is still an institution in the community, and has always been something readers look forward to each and every week.

When I wrote about my mother’s stay in the hospital, I received phone calls, letters and cards wishing her a speedy recovery. That is special in and of itsself — and brought a smile to my  face.

So while we have embraced new technology — mainly the Internet, with our Web site — we’re still fortunate to be a weekly newspaper. It’s the paper, not the technology, that people appreciate most.

Guest Guest

Yes except that the Observer which was once a great Kearny "town" paper has become something else. There seems to be more about Nutley. Nutley! That isn't even in Hudson County! I'm sure they have their own town paper and Nutley readers couldn't care less about The Observer. At most The Observer should cover NA and Harrison, and East Newark. Otherwise, whatever The Observer is trying to become I hope a paper comes out to cover Kearny and only Kearny. Miss the "old" Observer............just like everything else in society these days.....Eagans, Bunny land,

walkin' the "Ave", the music, packed football games........so, so much more. So sad............

itsself?

By Lisa Pezzolla

When I wrote about my mother’s stay in the hospital, I received phone calls, letters and cards wishing her a speedy recovery. That is special in and of itsself — and brought a smile to my  face.

Guest NOT A REAL PAPER ANYWAY

Why did they ignore the Tansky issue? Anybody??? Is the editor planning to get into local politics?

Yes except that the Observer which was once a great Kearny "town" paper has become something else. There seems to be more about Nutley. Nutley! That isn't even in Hudson County! I'm sure they have their own town paper and Nutley readers couldn't care less about The Observer. At most The Observer should cover NA and Harrison, and East Newark. Otherwise, whatever The Observer is trying to become I hope a paper comes out to cover Kearny and only Kearny. Miss the "old" Observer............just like everything else in society these days.....Eagans, Bunny land,

walkin' the "Ave", the music, packed football games........so, so much more. So sad............

itsself?

Guest Reader

I've been reading the Observer for decades. It has NEVER been a Kearny only paper. Just that some old people think because the office is in Kearny that it's all Kearny. If any newspaper depended only on one town for ad revenue and readership, it would last as long as the Hudson Press.

Guest Guest
I've been reading the Observer for decades. It has NEVER been a Kearny only paper. Just that some old people think because the office is in Kearny that it's all Kearny. If any newspaper depended only on one town for ad revenue and readership, it would last as long as the Hudson Press.

Do you see a lot of Nutley real estate ads in the Observer?

Guest Long Time Reader

Kearny...Harrison....East Newark....North Arlington....and issues concerning West Hudson and southern-most Bergen Counties. That WAS the Observer. But I guess they have bills to pay too, so they need a broader audience.

Like everything else in the world today....its not the same as it was!

Guest Guest_Manny Ventoso Jr._*

itsself?

The newspaper is free to you, it shouldn't concern you if they are expanding there coverage. Wake up and start living in the present time. Stop hiding behind your computer screen.

Guest Guest
The newspaper is free to you, it shouldn't concern you if they are expanding there coverage. Wake up and start living in the present time. Stop hiding behind your computer screen.

I am free to say it was once a great town paper and now it is not. My opinion will not be directed by you.