Residents demand Town for meeting

Guest no landfill

Guest no landfill

Mayor Santos after reading about reopening Keegan Landfill and the serious problems it will cause. RESIDENTS DEMAND a meeting with you, NJMC and the Environmental Protection Agency. Reopening this landfill will destroy us.Did you look at other ways to clean this area?

Guest tune in

No! they didn't look at other ways because they need the money to keep taxes down and pay for those bonds they keep floating. People will wake up once they get their tax bills, but, it will be to late, Hizzoner will be in office for four more years and you won't be able to give your houes away. Those doors on the town hall really look nice, how much did they cost? Did we need them? Just look around everything looks great, new sidewalks, lights, new Field house, Library fix up, but, you will pay for it and more then you think.

Guest Radagast
Mayor Santos after reading about reopening Keegan Landfill and the serious problems it will cause. RESIDENTS DEMAND a meeting with you, NJMC and the Environmental Protection Agency. Reopening this landfill will destroy us.Did you  look at other ways to clean this area?

Well... this is obviously becoming some kind of organized rant here. The connection between a sanitary sewer back up on Schuyler Ave. and the Keegan Landfill truly makes no logical sense. There are no road closings on Schuyler during a major rain storm due to flooding. On Harrison Ave. and the Belleville Twp. yes, but Schuyler, never. So if it doesn't cause surface flooding on Schuyler, how can it be backing up sewers? Besides, if Keegan as it exists now is a problem, then the redirection of Franks Creek that will be one of the results of this plan can only help.

In spite of what anyone might think, I have no connection with anyone currently in political office in Kearny. I just think that the financial burden of fixing the problems that the Keegan Landfill is really causing, are too much for Kearny taxpayers to bare. NJMDC will pay for them by way of this plan and I think we should let them.

Guest A. Realist
Well... this is obviously becoming some kind of organized rant here. The connection between a sanitary sewer back up on Schuyler Ave. and the Keegan Landfill truly makes no logical sense. There are no road closings on Schuyler during a major rain storm due to flooding. On Harrison Ave. and the Belleville Twp. yes,  but Schuyler, never. So if it doesn't cause surface flooding on Schuyler, how can it be backing up sewers? Besides, if Keegan as it exists now is a problem, then the redirection of Franks Creek that will be one of the results of this plan can only help.

In spite of what anyone might think, I have no connection with anyone currently in political office in Kearny. I just think that the financial burden of fixing the problems that the Keegan Landfill is really causing, are too much for Kearny taxpayers to bare. NJMDC will pay for them by way of this plan and I think we should let them.

Rad,

There you go again. Throwing logic and reason into the mix. Jimbo keeps insisting that the closure will be at Kearny's expense. Care to explain how your perspective differs from his?

The notion that property values will go down, is a complete fabrication and another doomsday scare tactic. When and where is there evidence that development (and ultimately that 's what this plan offers) ever caused declining real estate values? Quite the contrary.

Well... this is obviously becoming some kind of organized rant here. The connection between a sanitary sewer back up on Schuyler Ave. and the Keegan Landfill truly makes no logical sense. There are no road closings on Schuyler during a major rain storm due to flooding. On Harrison Ave. and the Belleville Twp. yes,  but Schuyler, never. So if it doesn't cause surface flooding on Schuyler, how can it be backing up sewers? Besides, if Keegan as it exists now is a problem, then the redirection of Franks Creek that will be one of the results of this plan can only help.

Rad,

The re-direction of Frank's Creek is the answer. And this was the recommendation of the Town Engineer in 2001. But, you don't have to re-open the landfill to accomplish it. That was not the Town Engineer's recommendation.

We don't need to re-open a landfill to fix a problem caused by the opening of a landfill.

Jim Mangin

Guest guest
Rad,

There you go again. Throwing logic and reason into the mix. Jimbo keeps insisting that the closure will be at Kearny's expense. Care to explain how your perspective differs from his?

The notion that property values will go down, is a complete fabrication and another doomsday scare tactic. When and where is there evidence that development (and ultimately that 's what this plan offers) ever caused declining real estate values? Quite the contrary.

What ward do you live in?

Guest Ms.DeRay

Schulyer Ave. and King st. become flooded during a heavy rain.The manhole covers on King and Schulyer surcharge spilling sewage right into the street. The road is not closed because the water recedes and basements are flooded. Last summer I video taped the flooding on Schulyer Ave. the water level is right up to the doors on the cars. The Kearny Fire Dept. responds and places the manhole covers back on.A

Guest Radagast
Rad,

The re-direction of Frank's Creek is the answer. And this was the recommendation of the Town Engineer in 2001. But, you don't have to re-open the landfill to accomplish it. That was not the Town Engineer's recommendation.

We don't need to re-open a landfill to fix a problem caused by the opening of a landfill.

Jim Mangin

Off hand, I can't think of any state or fed program that would pay for a project like that. Therefore, the Keegan plan is the only thing presently on the table that achieves the goal. Reopening the landfill will generate a great deal of money for NJMDC. No matter how much the project ends up costing, at least we know that funds will be available to pay for it. As you've noted, Kearny is in no position to fund it.

Also, I must repeat, unlike 1993, this plan is well underway. The time to protest might have been six to nine months ago. There is not much that's going to stop it now.

Guest BERT DIAZ PUBLIC SCHOOL PRINCIPA
Rad,

Jim Mangin

I say we have a Town Meeting to see if somehow we can impeach the Mayor and his sidekick Mary{The Bull} Torres. Is it not a ridiculous notion to believe that Oh Holy Santos,Santos, Santos is doing even an adequate job. The man is destroying this Town and only making sure with Mary{The Bull}Torres that favoritism and patronage be given to relatives of all his croanies...Take a look at the Board of education,how many of them also work for the town? How many on the board have relatives working for the Board of Education? Is this not a serious conflict of interest?How come Mary{The Bull}Torres,who truly is the real Mayor of this Town {Oh Holy Santos is just a figure head,Fabricated by Mary Torres}is on the Board of Education for 21 years and is also the Assistant Mayor? How come NEOPOTISM,COLLUSION, HARASSMENT AND INTIMIDATION ARE THE ORDER OF THE DAY? Do you really want to have a meeting? Let's go for a potential impeachment meeting and see how packed Town Hall will get with the very thought of a Mayoral Impechment. Otherwise they will listen, nod their heads and then do whatever they want.Any one can predict how they are going vote at any given time, so why hack at the leaves and not go for the root of the matter? Do you want a solution or just a bandaid and a place to "vent"?

Guest Radagast
Schulyer Ave. and King st. become flooded during a heavy rain.The manhole covers on King and Schulyer surcharge spilling sewage right into the street. The road is not closed because the water recedes and basements are flooded. Last summer I video taped the flooding on Schulyer Ave.  the water level is right up to the doors on the cars. The Kearny Fire Dept. responds and places the manhole covers back on.A

If this is Cathy, Hi... its been a long time.

Anyway, I certainly am not going to dispute what you've stated. My only point here is that I believe your flooding problem and the Keegan Landfill are unrelated. In addition, even if I'm wrong the project to open and then close Keegan permanently would do far more to solve your problem than leaving everything as it is. Any other alternative would cost the Town a fortune and that simply translates to..it will never get done.

If I am right, there are other things that need to be done with regard to Schuyler Ave. that have nothing to do with Keegan. The pump may solve your problem but it will only pop up again somewhere else. The cost of a complete fix could be as high as $35,000,000 and even if the funds were available it would still take a long time.

If thoughtful people put their heads together, maybe, there are other, cheaper ways to make things right. Turning it into a political weapon against the current powers that be isn't thoughtful. I just read a post about impeachment which illustrates just how silly and out of hand these things can get.

In short, I know you have waited too long for your problem to be addressed and it is beyond frustrating. I'm guessing the pump is in place and your flooding has stopped? Post any progrees or lack there of, please. Thanks

Guest Ms. K. DeRay

Anyway, I certainly am not going to dispute what you've stated. My only point here is that I believe your flooding problem and the Keegan Landfill are unrelated. In addition, even if I'm wrong the project to open and then close Keegan permanently would do far more to solve your problem than leaving everything as it is. Any other alternative would cost the Town a fortune and that simply translates to..it will never get done.

If I am right, there are other things that need to be done with regard to Schuyler Ave. that have nothing to do with Keegan. The pump may solve your problem but it will only pop up again somewhere else. The cost of a complete fix could be as high as $35,000,000 and even if the funds were available it would still take a long time.

If thoughtful people put their heads together, maybe, there are other, cheaper ways to make things right. Turning it into a political weapon against the current powers that be isn't thoughtful. I just read a post about impeachment which illustrates just how silly and out of hand these things can get.

In short, I know you have waited too long for your problem to be addressed and it is beyond frustrating. I'm guessing the pump is in place and your flooding has stopped? Post any progrees or lack there of, please. Thanks

Rad, Yes this is Kathy I have no idea who you are. I do not want things to turn into a political weapon but the truth must be told . The Mayor cannot take credit for this pumping station . I went to the Mayor years ago thinking as soon as he hears about raw sewage something will be done. How wrong I was. Years went by and all the Mayor did was look into it. Picture living with this during a heavy rain you must run home put on (PPE) protective eqiupment such as gloves, goggles, water resistant suit and mask and start pumping. Almost five years living this way. Last year when I attended a Town meeting I asked the Mayor to send a letter out to the Commissioner of Community Affairs HE REFUSED.I hope this pumping station works so far it was suppose to be completed by June 3. As for the flooding on Schulyer Ave. I have a letter from Neglia Engineering dated Apr. 2,2004 stating Franks Creek is inadequate to handle even one year storm frequency .We must get Federal funds to upgrade this creek. All the flooding on Schulyer Ave. and King has been taped and sent to the DEP Chief of Enforcement.Did we have to live like this for so long? No the Mayor should have installed this pump years ago.

Guest Tick Tock
Mayor Santos after reading about reopening Keegan Landfill and the serious problems it will cause. RESIDENTS DEMAND a meeting with you, NJMC and the Environmental Protection Agency. Reopening this landfill will destroy us.Did you  look at other ways to clean this area?

If a solid waste facility was constructed on this 110 acre Keegan site with its proximity to the interstate waterways would it's operations violate any protections enforced by interstate commerce. Perhaps water ways defined under 33 CFR 328.3

Guest BERT DIAZ PUBLIC SCHOOL PRINCIPA

You call a tax increase of 1.33 million dollars , a defict and mis-appropriation of funds of 2.5 million dollars, and a potential cost to fix a major problem of 35 million dollars a "silly" reason to impeach a Mayor? The Republicans tried to impeach President Clinton for lying about his personal life, NOT, for his incompetence as a Political Leader. I say, and so do many citizens of Kearny that Mayor Santos is an ineffective and inefficient administrator and must be removed before he does further damage to the town of Kearny.An impeachment of the Mayor is very possible based on all the facts, figures,political appointments, neopotism, law suits, uncontested appointement ,and the list goes on and on.Please remember our town is in a crisis and all the surrounding muncipalities are in much better shape than we are. The Kearny Church of Santo-o-logy is trying to brain wash us into thinking differently.But don't be fooled.IMPEACHMENT OF THE MAYOR IS POSSIBLE AND BECOMING MORE PROBABLE EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rad,

Our perspectives differ this way. Under this plan the money generated from operating the landfill will go into an escrow account that will be used to properly close the landfill. I said the closure will be at Kearny's expense if the escrow account comes up short because under this plan the liability for closing the landfill becomes Kearny's. So 10 years from now when there's not enough money for the closure people are going to be very angry at this Mayor and Council for making this decision.

Jim Mangin

Guest Guest
Our perspectives differ this way. Under this plan the money generated from operating the landfill will go into an escrow account that will be used to properly close the landfill. I said the closure will be at Kearny's expense if the escrow account comes up short because under this plan the liability for closing the landfill becomes Kearny's. So 10 years from now when there's not enough money for the closure people are going to be very angry at this Mayor and Council for making this decision.

Jim Mangin

Jim,

The Keegan and 1-D landfills always were Kearny's responsibility to close. Of course, everyone knows that we don't have the money to close either one. The Feds or the State are not about to backrupt us by demanding the Town close them so the landfills have sat for years. But not for the NJDEP closing 1-D and now the NJMDC closing Keegan, I'm sure they would rot on forever.

Archived