Thank You KPD & HPD

Guest Concerned

Guest Concerned

Yesterday evening I had the unfortunate job of calling for an ambulance for my son-in-law, I called the Kearny Police Dept. and they were extremely wonderful, I explained my situation and that I needed an ambulance to take him to the hospital because of a back injury. They immediately sent an officer and dispatched an ambulance from Harrison, this only took a matter of 10 minutes and he was in the ambulance and on his way to the hospital, the men that came were wonderful, and experienced. Thank God he will be okay, but I just wanted to thank these fine people for the job they performed. To all readers, please do not be afraid to call KPD for an emergency, they will help you take care of what ever it is.

AGAIN THANK YOU KEARNY & HARRISON

Guest Guest
Yesterday evening I had the unfortunate job of calling for an ambulance for my son-in-law, I called the Kearny Police Dept. and they were extremely wonderful, I explained my situation and that I needed an ambulance to take him to the hospital because of a back injury. They immediately sent an officer and dispatched an ambulance from Harrison, this only took a matter of 10 minutes and he was in the ambulance and on his way to the hospital, the men that came were wonderful, and experienced. Thank God he will be okay, but I just wanted to thank these fine people for the job they performed. To all readers, please do not be afraid to call KPD for an emergency, they will help you take care of what ever it is.

AGAIN THANK YOU KEARNY & HARRISON

thank them when you get your bill from Harrison ems :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Smoke & Mirrors
thank them when you get your bill from Harrison ems  :lol:

At least they respond! You have a fire department that is 3 times the size of HFD and they will not handle the ambulance. You have a volunteer group that are available sometimes, and they do a fine job. But, there is so much time that they are not available. Harrison fire has enough to do in their own town.

Let your Mayor and council know that you need KFD to be able to run the ambulance when there is no volunteers available!

Unfortunately, a 10 minute response time, because they have to call another town for an ambulance, that could mean life or death to someone.

Guest smoke and mirrors is a dummy
At least they respond!  You have a fire department that is 3 times the size of HFD and they will not handle the ambulance.  You have a volunteer group that are available sometimes, and they do a fine job. But, there is so much time that they are not available.  Harrison fire has enough to do in their own town. 

Let your Mayor and council know that you need KFD to be able to run the ambulance when there is no volunteers available! 

Unfortunately, a 10 minute response time, because they have to call another town for an ambulance, that could mean life or death to someone. 

before you come on here to rant and rave why dont you get your facts straight......kearny ambulance isnt volunteer, they have a chief a deputy chief and four crews staffed with 2 emts that work 24 hr shifts.....the reason that kearny is always calling mutual aid because the mayor and coucil told the ems chief that they do not need to hire more people to staff a second ambulance...hiring 8 more emts to staff another ambulance is a hell of alot cheaper that hiring 16 more fire fighters to staff 2 ambulances....so before you go up to they mayor and council meeting screaming like a moron you should really educate yourself a little better dont ya think?

Guest Smoke & Mirrors
before you come on here to rant and rave why dont you get your facts straight......kearny ambulance isnt volunteer, they have a chief a deputy chief and four crews staffed with 2 emts that work 24 hr shifts.....the reason that kearny is always calling mutual aid because the mayor and coucil told the ems chief that they do not need to hire more people to staff a second ambulance...hiring 8 more emts to staff another ambulance is a hell of alot cheaper that hiring 16 more fire fighters to staff 2 ambulances....so before you go up to they mayor and council meeting screaming like a moron you should really educate yourself a little better dont ya think?

1. Relax... There is no need for name calling.

2. I wasn't suggesting they hire more Fire fighters, I was suggesting that they take some of the responsibility for the ambulance, in the hours that it is not covered by others.

3. I was pointing out that Harrison Fire handles their ambulance, and that with Kearny having many more firefighters, that maybe they should be able step up.

4. The last I knew it was volunteer, and Kearny was paying EMTAC or whatever the company was an extraordinary amount of money, to which I called the mayors office and suggested, as did many people, to hire some EMT's to cover the town, or get the FD involved.

5. Not everything you read on this site is a personal attack.

6. Have a nice day!

Guest Guest

The KFD supplies Mutual Aid for fire protection every time the HFD EMS responds in Kearny. I agree that the HFD does an excellent job with their EMS covering Kearny's shortcomings in that area but the overall situation is allot more involved than what most people think. Maybe this will change in the future if the politicians step up & either supply the current EMS with what they need or hire some more Firefighters to cover EMS without putting fire apparatus out of service to man the ambulance. That situation is at best not safe for the Firefighters who are already running the fire suppression with bare bones crews & if it's not safe for the firemen it certainly is not safe for our citizens !!!

Guest Roots to Branches

Smoke, EMTAC had a temporary Emergency contract, the terms of which actually werent all THAT onerous for the town, despite what KEMS and company would have you believe. It was necessary becayse KVERS had dwindled in membership to the point where the nonpaid shifts were being covered by 3-4 people, and eventually Weekends and holidays werent covered at all. Harrison and NAVES were at the point of voiding their Mutual Aid compacts because of the situation. The town HAD to do something, and at the time the EMTAC contract was the best choice. Every run that EMTAC made was billed, that amount came OFF of the town's bill. Therefore, if EMTAC made $10,000 in billing, that amount came off of that month's fee to the town. KEMS, despite the fact that they are using Municpally Registered vehicles, and are quartered in a town building IS NOT A TOWN SERVICE. They are private contractors, who underbid to get the contract and now realize that they aren't getting the money they need to stay in business. What should have been done From the beginning, was the town should have made EMS a part of the Fire Dept, hired EMT's at a commensurate rate with other professional EMS services in the area, and offered benefits. Depending on the schedule it could have been done with 12-18 hirees (Depending on the shift and schedules), and the opportunity for a steady podsition as a town employee with benefits would have had experienced professional EMT's flocking to take the test, as well as a hiring list to fill any needed spots that might arise. Instead we get what we have..one Ambulance, a service with a HUGE turnover rate, and substandard service by surly, and obviously miserable people. Frankly, im Glad i got out of Kearny when i did, since, from what i've seen i'd rather have Doctor Doolittle (The Rex Harrison version) take care of me or my family, than the people from KEMS.

Make the Fireman take over the Ambulance, I hear they are already trained. Lets not find a way to solve the problem that raises taxes. Use Harrison as an example, they have been doing it for twenty years and my relatives tell me it works great.

Guest Guest-K
Make the Fireman take over the Ambulance, I hear they are already trained. Lets not find a way to solve the problem that raises taxes. Use Harrison as an example, they have been doing it for twenty years and my relatives tell me it works great.

Agreed!

Guest silly uninformed dopes

does it really work so great when you take a fire company out of service to run the ambulance? then you have to take a second company out of service to run the other one leaving 1 thats right 1 fire truck to cover the whole town of harrison?? then guess who harrison has to call for mutual on for fire calls...thats right kearny...so now give the kfd the ambulance.....4 ambulance calls at the same time....which happens more than you would think especially between the two towns...now you have only 3 enginee and 1 ladder to cover kearny, south kearny and harrison......real smart idea people

does it really work so great when you take a fire company out of service to run the ambulance? then you have to take a second company out of service to run the other one leaving 1 thats right 1 fire truck to cover the whole town of harrison?? then guess who harrison has to call for mutual on for fire calls...thats right kearny...so now give the kfd the ambulance.....4 ambulance calls at the same time....which happens more than you would think especially between the two towns...now you have only 3 enginee and 1 ladder to cover kearny, south kearny and harrison......real smart idea people

I'm glad somebody can read!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Guest Aug 7 2007, 07:41 AM Post #7

Unregistered

The KFD supplies Mutual Aid for fire protection every time the HFD EMS responds in Kearny. I agree that the HFD does an excellent job with their EMS covering Kearny's shortcomings in that area but the overall situation is allot more involved than what most people think. Maybe this will change in the future if the politicians step up & either supply the current EMS with what they need or hire some more Firefighters to cover EMS without putting fire apparatus out of service to man the ambulance. That situation is at best not safe for the Firefighters who are already running the fire suppression with bare bones crews & if it's not safe for the firemen it certainly is not safe for our citizens !!!