Simple Math

Guest Former Town Resident

Guest Former Town Resident

Lets see, 7,000 new housing units are projected to be built with the redevelopment. If each new unit has an average of two school age kids, that's 14,000 kids added to the school system.

Does anyone think the school system can absorb 14,000 new students ?? If an average class size is 25 students, then 14,000 new students equals 560 new classrooms needed. How many new schools would have to be built to contain 560 new classrooms ?? How many teachers will have to be hired ??

Will the property taxes on these 7,000 new housing units pay for these new schools and teachers ??

And where would these new schools be built ?? Schools require large tracts of land for the parking and outdoor activity areas. Condemn more property ??

Is ANYONE asking these questions at council meetings ??

Guest Guest

What are you people thinking? Harrison is only about 2 square miles. The town will be looking like North Bergen. (ugly thought) Get your heads together & think of a better plan. This once was a great town.

Guest Guest
Lets see,  7,000 new housing units are projected to be built with the redevelopment.  If  each new unit has an average of two school age kids, that's 14,000 kids added to the school system.

Does anyone think the school system can absorb 14,000 new students ?? If an average class size is 25 students, then 14,000 new students equals 560  new classrooms needed. How many new schools would have to be built to contain 560 new classrooms ?? How many teachers will have to be hired ??

Will the property taxes  on these 7,000 new housing units pay for  these new schools and teachers ??

And where would these new schools be built ?? Schools require large tracts of land for the parking and outdoor activity areas.  Condemn more property ??

Is ANYONE  asking these questions at council meetings ??

What do you care, you are a "former town resident" which last I heard means you dont live here anymore.

Guest Another Town Resident
What do you care, you are a "former town resident" which last I heard means you dont live here anymore.

The questions you raise are serious issues. It makes sense, 7,000 new housing units, 2 kids per unit = 14,000 new kids in school. Our schools can't handle anything near those numbers. I haven't heard either the mayor or any councilperson talk about this pending nightmare for our schools. I hope the residents will start asking questions at council meetings. What the hell is going to happen when these kids start hitting the schools.

Archived