Kearny has no EMS - We are not protected

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Why does Kearny always need mutual aid for its EMS service? Why are we not protected? Is there no one who will serve the town and it's citizens? Wait, there are a group that is already in town, is trained and can do it, it's called the Kearny Fire Dept!

Call your politicians and ask why if there is an EMS emergency they have to call out of town to help you! Ask to have the fire dept take over EMS for the town. The life of someone in your or my family could depend on it!

Guest Radacaster
Why does Kearny always need mutual aid for its EMS service? Why are we not protected? Is there no one who will serve the town and it's citizens? Wait, there are a group that is already in town, is trained and can do it, it's called the Kearny Fire Dept!

Call your politicians and ask why if there is an EMS emergency they have to call out of town to help you! Ask to have the fire dept take over EMS for the town. The life of someone in your or my family could depend on it!

Prove it.

Guest Guest

First Responders - ALS - Transport........... oh my.

Guest Guest

EVERYTOWN USES MUTUAL AID

HARRISON

NORTH ARLINGTON LYNDHURST

Guest guest

Kearny does have ems services, the old volunteer squad. Unfortunately for a town this size, they usually only have one ambulance working per shift. One ambulance is not enough for the town so when they need additional ambulances, they have to go out of town for mutual aid. When mutual aid is called for from NA or Harrison FD, Kearny FD must go anyway, so why not just give them the three or four ambulances the squad has, repaint em, and stick em in the firehouses. Not only will this virtually guarantee ambulance service(with 3 or 4 ambulances) but it will also put ambulances at diffrent parts of the town(Midland,Kearny Ave., and Davis) to speed up response time. It will also allow Kearny to get rid of the squad, sell the building, and keep on top of training and fleet maintenace. Its the right thing to do, and as far as proof, all KFD firemen HAVE to be EMT trained, and already are.

Guest Retired No. Jersey Fire Chief

Nation-wide, fire dept's run EMS. Why the fire dept ?? Because it's been shown in countless surveys and studies that fire dept's can run an EMS most efficiently and cost effectively. It's not by accident that EMS in every city in the U.S. is operated by the fire dept. The only reason Kearny FD is not operating an EMS is because the administration does not want to spend the money on start-up costs. Obviously, there are costs associated with any EMS. Since fire dept's utilize on-duty manpower to staff the ambulance, there is an immediate cost savings over a private EMS provider. Relying on mutual aid takes additional crucial minutes, minutes that can mean the difference between life and death when someone's not breathing. It appears to me that the administration has weighed the benefits of tax dollars vs. resident's lives. Looks like the winner is tax dollars.

Why not you? I'm not being snarky here-it really isn't that difficult to run for a local office. Many times local politicians stay in office simply because no one runs against them.

Guest Studies and Observations

It's been said time and time again, Run the Ambulance as a town service, under the Fire Dept. Staff it with EMT's NOT Firefighters, Test for it, hire off a list, pay them commensurate with what other professional EMS makes, and offer benefits.. you'd have EMT's beating down the doors to take the test, and you could staff with 2 EMT's for what one firefighter would cost in salary.

Guest Guest
Why not you? I'm not being snarky here-it really isn't that difficult to run for a local office. Many times local politicians stay in office simply because no one runs against them.

Sure put fire fighters on the ambulance just like harrison does so you can take companies out of service just like harrison does! your fire fighters are riding under staffed every day!! now you want them to start riding on ambulances also? thats just going to cause the down to shut down fire houses and put more lives at risk! sounds real smart to me

Guest Retired No. Jersey Fire Chief
It's been said time and time again, Run the Ambulance as a town service, under the Fire Dept.  Staff it with EMT's NOT Firefighters, Test for it, hire off a list,  pay them commensurate with what other professional EMS makes, and offer benefits.. you'd have EMT's beating down the doors to take the test, and you could staff with 2 EMT's for what one firefighter would cost in salary.

In a town such as Kearny that doesn't have many structure fires, firefighters should handle EMS. Harrison should be put on stand-by whenever Kearny goes out on an EMS call. I'm assuming of course that Kearny is not riding short-handed to begin with.

Sure put fire fighters on the ambulance just like harrison does so you can take companies out of service just like harrison does! your fire fighters are riding under staffed every day!! now you want them to start riding on ambulances also? thats just going to cause the down to shut down fire houses and put more lives at risk! sounds real smart to me

I'm not really sure what that has to do with what I said-my point was that people are capable of making a difference if they take matters into their own hands.

Guest Guest
I'm not really sure what that has to do with what I said-my point was that people are capable of making a difference if they take matters into their own hands.

All of your idea arent bad. But like the gentleman said before about harrison takes companies out of service run their own ambulances. How do you expect harrison to go on stand by for kearny when KFD is running an ems call when the hfd is also running an ems call and they have a company out of service? right now it just cant be done. you would have to hire alot more fire fighters to run the ambulance in town.