Tempers Flare

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Tempers flare at recent Harrison council meeting

Thursday, June 14, 2007

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - It was all-out war at last week's town council meeting, as feuding factions continued their months'-long bickering about whether developers, who sealed deals with the town years ago, should chip in for additional improvements in recreational, senior and affordable housing initiatives.

Mayor Raymond J. McDonough and seven members of the eight-member council stalked from the chambers as Councilman Steven McCormick, the lone vocal dissenter to the McDonough administration, attempted to read a statement into the record criticizing the town's redevelopment plans.

Elected last year on an anti-McDonough ticket, McCormick contends that public officials didn't do enough to ask developers to pitch in to construct recreational fields and affordable housing when they negotiated agreements with the builders several years ago.

"At minimum, the developers should incorporate into their plan a large recreation/community facility that would be utilized by children, adults and seniors for various programs and activities," McCormick said in his statement, heard by a handful of residents who remained in the chambers vacated by McDonough and the council. "This is for the entire Harrison community, not only the redevelopment area, being we are all one town."

McCormick echoed his statement during the caucus preceding the meeting, which is held in a conference room outside the mayor's office. His sentiments incensed other officials, who say McCormick is deliberately being inaccurate and misleading.

When McCormick asserted that developers weren't pitching in to build affordable housing, Councilman James Doran pointed out that all developers are required to contribute a per-unit sum to a new affordable housing trust fund the town created to construct residences for seniors and other needy area residents.

The agreements the Harrison Redevelopment Agency struck with the developers predate state requirements called for by the Coalition on Affordable Housing to provide a certain number of affordable units based on the number of market-rate units constructed. After the agreements were signed, Harrison instituted its affordable housing trust fund.

"We went back to them at great pains to get the best deal. And it's a great deal," said Doran. "That trust fund will enable us to do some kinds of things that are pretty progressive? It's easy to sit and criticize. It's all Monday morning quarterbacking. Why doesn't the McCormick team form a committee and come up with a plan to get grants for some of these things?"

An exasperated McDonough said developers had little interest in Harrison at the start of the redevelopment process.

"Where were you 10 years ago? They didn't want to come to Harrison. Stop shooting your mouth off," McDonough shouted during the caucus. "You don't understand. You keep telling everybody we didn't know what we were doing. Let's get something straight. We didn't have the luxury. Nobody was coming to Harrison. Now they want to come to Harrison because of what we did, not because of what you did. If I go back to them for more now, don't you think they'll go to the attorney general and say I'm shaking them down?"

McDonough strolled from the council chambers when McCormick began to read his statement, but returned when the councilman announced that he'd wait until the mayor returned.

However, the dais quickly cleared after Councilman Michael Dolaghan abruptly left the chambers, saying, "Sorry, I'm going to have to leave on this one. This is nothing but political grandstanding. This should have been said upstairs (at the caucus)."

Referring to previous statements McCormick has read at meetings, another councilman said, "This is the third time you've blindsided us by this."

Members of the public who remained in the chambers applauded McCormick's statement. The councilman expressed frustration that other elected officials have not responded to his previous statements.

"I've submitted three letters prior to this and not one council member has responded," McCormick said. Gesturing to the empty seats at the dais, he added, "It's the people up here not taking a stand. I know the situation here, but it's up to the people to take a stand here."

Guest Guest

typical Steve Mc Cormick , following rules and proper buisiness practices do not mean anything to him as long as he get's what he wants, maybe there is a room waiting for him at hudson county jail in so. kearny with his name on the door.

Guest Guest

What ever happened to all those building violations Steve McCormick had with the town , last I heard he was into the town for about 1/4 million $$$ in penilties and finds for his illigal building there on So. FER . Is this his reason for being a councilman and misleading the public, and his wife running to be on the council hoping to make it all go away ?

Guest Guest

Thursday, June 14, 2007

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - It was all-out war at last week's town council meeting, as feuding factions continued their months'-long bickering about whether developers, who sealed deals with the town years ago, should chip in for additional improvements in recreational, senior and affordable housing initiatives.

Mayor Raymond J. McDonough and seven members of the eight-member council stalked from the chambers as Councilman Steven McCormick, the lone vocal dissenter to the McDonough administration, attempted to read a statement into the record criticizing the town's redevelopment plans.

Elected last year on an anti-McDonough ticket, McCormick contends that public officials didn't do enough to ask developers to pitch in to construct recreational fields and affordable housing when they negotiated agreements with the builders several years ago.

"At minimum, the developers should incorporate into their plan a large recreation/community facility that would be utilized by children, adults and seniors for various programs and activities," McCormick said in his statement, heard by a handful of residents who remained in the chambers vacated by McDonough and the council. "This is for the entire Harrison community, not only the redevelopment area, being we are all one town."

McCormick echoed his statement during the caucus preceding the meeting, which is held in a conference room outside the mayor's office. His sentiments incensed other officials, who say McCormick is deliberately being inaccurate and misleading.

When McCormick asserted that developers weren't pitching in to build affordable housing, Councilman James Doran pointed out that all developers are required to contribute a per-unit sum to a new affordable housing trust fund the town created to construct residences for seniors and other needy area residents.

The agreements the Harrison Redevelopment Agency struck with the developers predate state requirements called for by the Coalition on Affordable Housing to provide a certain number of affordable units based on the number of market-rate units constructed. After the agreements were signed, Harrison instituted its affordable housing trust fund.

"We went back to them at great pains to get the best deal. And it's a great deal," said Doran. "That trust fund will enable us to do some kinds of things that are pretty progressive? It's easy to sit and criticize. It's all Monday morning quarterbacking. Why doesn't the McCormick team form a committee and come up with a plan to get grants for some of these things?"

An exasperated McDonough said developers had little interest in Harrison at the start of the redevelopment process.

"Where were you 10 years ago? They didn't want to come to Harrison. Stop shooting your mouth off," McDonough shouted during the caucus. "You don't understand. You keep telling everybody we didn't know what we were doing. Let's get something straight. We didn't have the luxury. Nobody was coming to Harrison. Now they want to come to Harrison because of what we did, not because of what you did. If I go back to them for more now, don't you think they'll go to the attorney general and say I'm shaking them down?"

McDonough strolled from the council chambers when McCormick began to read his statement, but returned when the councilman announced that he'd wait until the mayor returned.

However, the dais quickly cleared after Councilman Michael Dolaghan abruptly left the chambers, saying, "Sorry, I'm going to have to leave on this one. This is nothing but political grandstanding. This should have been said upstairs (at the caucus)."

Referring to previous statements McCormick has read at meetings, another councilman said, "This is the third time you've blindsided us by this."

Members of the public who remained in the chambers applauded McCormick's statement. The councilman expressed frustration that other elected officials have not responded to his previous statements.

"I've submitted three letters prior to this and not one council member has responded," McCormick said. Gesturing to the empty seats at the dais, he added, "It's the people up here not taking a stand. I know the situation here, but it's up to the people to take a stand here."

WAY TO GO STEVIE BOY!!!! YOU PISSED THEM OFF. CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE. BETTER YET, CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR MARIA TO STAND THERE WITH YOU, AND TELL THEM ALL WHERE THEY CAN GO. I KNEW YOU WEREN'T ANOTHER YES MAN WHEN I VOTED FOR YOU

Guest Guest
WAY TO GO STEVIE BOY!!!! YOU PISSED THEM OFF.  CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE.  BETTER YET, CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR MARIA TO STAND THERE WITH YOU, AND TELL THEM ALL WHERE THEY CAN GO.  I KNEW YOU WEREN'T ANOTHER YES MAN WHEN I VOTED FOR YOU

The real story the Jersey Journal has missed for the last 50+ years, is that there is no free thought allowed on the Harrison Council.

Rodgers developed this form of Government and has passed it off to his successors. Anything to be said at the meeting is to be reviewed by those who run the town. This small click, some nonelected persons included, decide what will be discuss and ultimately make it to the council floor for a vote.

The council having been advised how to vote then puts on a dog and pony show for those at the meeting.

The council persons all know this, except it seems Mc Cormick. He will have to reined in. By the click and the other council persons.

Can McCormick stand up to this pressure? Just how far will the Click and Councilpersons go to stop his independant thinking? This is a story worth watching.

Will McCormick hook up with the new Democrats in the Couty?

There is always the Tansky wildcard !

Murray

Guest Guest in the know
The real story the Jersey Journal has missed for the last 50+ years, is that there is no free thought allowed on the Harrison Council.

Rodgers developed this form of Government and has passed it off to his successors. Anything to be said at the meeting is to be reviewed by those who run the town. This small click, some nonelected persons included, decide what will be discuss and ultimately make it to the council floor for a vote.

The council having been advised how to vote then puts on a dog and pony show for those at the meeting.

The council persons all know this, except it seems Mc Cormick. He will have to reined in. By the click and the other council persons.

Can McCormick stand up to this pressure? Just how far will the Click and Councilpersons go to stop his independant thinking? This is a story worth watching.

Murray

Would someone please tell me how Stevie Boy can sit on the council, while living in an illegal apartment which has never had a Cert. of Occupany issued????

The Corp. that owns 111-115 F. Rodgers Blvd. South and Steve and Maria owe over $200,000.00 in fines, because of contruction at their building without building permits or official approval from the Planning Board.

The records in the Construction Office do not show any approved apartment at their address!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask Steve or Maria how they feel about illegal apartments in their ward or in the Town for that matter. Then ask how they have been living in one with two serious violations of the construction code. This is why Mr. Cundari refused to issue them a C. O., and why Mr. Russomano hasn't for the last 15 years!!!!!!!

Why are they allowed to live there, never mind run for office????????? At least Ray Mc Donough lives in an legal apartment.

Stevie Boy was always a grandstander even when we were kids, his arrogance is going to backfire on him.

Guest Guest
Would someone please tell me how Stevie Boy can sit on the council, while living in an illegal apartment which has never had a Cert. of Occupany issued????

The Corp. that owns 111-115 F. Rodgers Blvd. South and Steve and Maria owe over $200,000.00 in fines, because of contruction at their building without building permits or official approval from the Planning Board.

The records in the Construction Office do not show any approved apartment at their address!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask Steve or Maria how they feel about illegal apartments in their ward or in the Town for that matter. Then ask how they have been living in one with two serious violations of the construction code. This is why Mr. Cundari refused to issue them a C. O., and why Mr. Russomano hasn't for the last 15 years!!!!!!!

Why are they allowed to live there, never mind run for office????????? At least Ray Mc Donough lives in an legal apartment.

Stevie Boy was always a grandstander even when we were kids, his arrogance is going to backfire on him.

Impossible! The Town of Harrison would not allow that to happen for 15 years. Think of what your saying about the Administration.

Guest Guest
Impossible! The Town of Harrison would not allow that to happen for 15 years. Think of what your saying about the Administration.

I did check with the town construction dept. and was told that this condition is true and will hopfully resolved in court with all the other violations that are existing with that residence.

Guest Guest in the know

It's true check it out with the Construction Office. Ask them why this has been going on for so long. This says nothing about the current Administration, it was the last Administration that let it go. The current Administration only inherited it and i'm sure they were not even aware of the situation until Stevie Boy applied for 20 Apartments and 15 Comercial offices and or spaces in the same building!!

That's when the situation of the Apartment that Steve and Maria live in NOT EVER HAVING A CERT. OF OCCUPANCY ISSUED! CHECK IT OUT - UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

The truth is stranger than fiction!!!

Guest Guest,  8888
What ever happened to all those building violations Steve McCormick had with the town  , last I heard he was into the town for about 1/4 million $$$ in penilties and finds for his illigal building there on So. FER .  Is this his reason for being a councilman and misleading the public, and his wife running to be on the council hoping to make it all go away ?

No His reason is , so that the people of Harrison will finally see what this crooked bunch is doing....How come this supposed fund account for developers that have to put so much money in has no MONY in it....where is it ....I think someones pocket needs to be checked....Harrisionians better wake up.....You no longer have proper Polce protection all over time is squashed so when You have 3 men working a squad and 2 call in sick there is only 1 Officer on duty.....It is time someone steps up and addresses these problems. Harrison is by afr the SAFE TOWN THEY want You to believe it is ........1 Thing is when You need a cop they are generally there pretty darn fast......But I guarentee You there is going to be longer waits now....I for the life of Me cannot figure out why this bunch of goons running Harrison with MCD**ba** are not being investigated? How does * ********* ******** *** *** *** ** *** *** *** ***** ** *****,OOOPPPPSSSS I know MCDUMB AND MCDUMS TWIN *** ***** ** *** **- threw The ***..........CROOKED IS AS CROOKED DOES .....GET RID OF SOME OF THESE TOWN EMPLOYEES AND GET THE COPS BACK FULL FORCE.......No WONDER THSES POOR GUYS ARE AT WITTS END......THAT IDIOT FOR A CHIEF HAS GOT TO GO AS WELL.......I DON'T KNOW PEOPLE YOU BETTER WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES......You can also lokk forward to those new condo's down were the Old Stadium was becoming section 8 Housing......That build was a big Joke

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest GUEST
I did check with the town construction dept. and was told that this condition is true and will hopfully resolved in court with all the other violations that are existing with that residence.

WHY DID IT TAKE 15 YEARS FOR THE TOWN ADMINISTRATION TO TAKE ACTION ON THE MATTER AND TAKE IT TO COURT?

Guest Guest

Tansky wildcard how about the catman as a jokercard.

What's going on with his department I heard it is falling apart???

Anyone know whats going on???

Murray

Guest Guest
WHY DID IT TAKE 15 YEARS FOR THE TOWN ADMINISTRATION  TO TAKE ACTION ON THE MATTER AND TAKE IT TO COURT?

The "current administration" only became aware of it last year when Stevie Boy and Maria applied for 20 arpartments (which they had constructed - before applying) and 15 or so commercial or office spaces!

Stevie boy thought he could get appoval because of who he was and his relatives who are no longer "connected" in town. Guess it didn't work, but this is when it became apparent to the current administration.

How can you be an official, when you live in an apartment without a Cert. of Occupancy??? Would Stevie Boy please comment n this at the next council meeting!! I DOUBT HE WILL, HE THOUGHT HE HAD IT MADE. WHAT $ALLS TO START CONSTRUCTION WITHOUT THE NECESSARY BUILDING PERMITS, THATS WHAT HE AND MARIA ARE IN TROUBLE FOR. DO YOU REALLY WANT PEOPLE WHO DON'T PLAY BY THE RULES REPPRESENTING YOU? I DON'T!!!!

Guest Guest

Of course there's free thought, attend any causus, you'll see. What Steve can't understand is how to be a team player to go along to get what he wants.

Even as kids growing up if he didn't get his way, he would try grandstanding or go home crying. Welcome to the big leagues Stevie Boy!!!

Guest Guest
WHY DID IT TAKE 15 YEARS FOR THE TOWN ADMINISTRATION  TO TAKE ACTION ON THE MATTER AND TAKE IT TO COURT?

POLITICS AS USUAL, IT'S ALWAYS THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT NOW IT'S TIME TO STOP AND MAYBE WE CAN GET BACK ON TRACK TO CORRECT ALL FAMILY BUSINESS WITH THIS...................

Guest Guest

It is impossible to wait that long to take action on a building code violation!

What you are saying this thing has been alive through the Rodgers' and McDonough administrations.

Is that what you''d have us believe?

Guest Guest

Thursday, June 14, 2007

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

Stevie Boy was always a grandstanding A$$hole, even as a kid! He gets elected, beating a slacker, to further his interests (FORGET ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF THE SECOND WARD OR TOWN) and gain a degree of respect.

Even his comtempararies get up and walk out on him, as he grandstands for "his" audience (why do you think he wants the meetings televised?????) DUDH???

ANYONE WHO TAKES THIS SELF-SERVING SERIOUS IS A BIGGER FOOL THAN HIM!!!

Guest Guest
The "current administration" only became aware of it last year when Stevie Boy and Maria applied for 20 arpartments (which they had constructed - before applying) and 15 or so commercial or office spaces!

Stevie boy thought he could get appoval because of who he was and his relatives who are no longer "connected" in town. Guess it didn't work, but this is when it became apparent to the current administration.

How can you be an official, when you live in an apartment without a Cert. of Occupancy??? Would Stevie Boy please comment n this at the next council meeting!! I DOUBT HE WILL, HE THOUGHT HE HAD IT MADE. WHAT $ALLS TO START CONSTRUCTION WITHOUT THE NECESSARY BUILDING PERMITS, THATS WHAT HE AND MARIA ARE IN TROUBLE FOR. DO YOU REALLY WANT PEOPLE WHO DON'T PLAY BY THE RULES REPPRESENTING YOU? I DON'T!!!!

you don't? wow a "company man" who won't have it any other way. many know how it is here in "pleasantville". edgar allan poe penned it well did he not........?

talk the talk..........now, but soon many will take that walk, follow the white line walk.

Guest Guest
Stevie Boy was always a grandstanding A$$hole, even as a kid! He gets elected, beating a slacker, to further his interests (FORGET ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF THE SECOND WARD OR TOWN) and gain a degree of respect.

Even his comtempararies get up and walk out on him, as he grandstands for "his" audience (why do you think he wants the meetings televised?????) DUDH???

ANYONE WHO TAKES THIS SELF-SERVING SERIOUS IS A BIGGER FOOL THAN HIM!!!

Steve McCormick is in your face tough guy, don't let him see you sweat ... too late.

Oh, the bells, bells, bells! What a tale their terror tells of Despair!

How they clang, and clash, and roar! What a horror they outpour on the bosom of the palpitating air!

Yet the ear it fully knows, by the twanging, and the clanging, how the danger ebbs and flows: Yet the ear distinctly tells, in the jangling, and the wrangling, how the danger sinks and swells, by the sinking or the swelling in the anger of the bells of the bells, of the bells, bells, bells,bells,bells, bells, bells in the clamor and the clangor of the bells!

And the people - ah, the people. They that dwell up in the steeple, all alone and who, tolling, tolling, tolling, In that muffled monotone...

And their king it is who tolls; And he rolls, rolls, rolls, rolls a paean from the bells!

And his merry bosom swells with the paean of the bells! And he dances, and he yells; Keeping time, time, time, in a sort of Runic rhyme, to the paean of the bells

of the bells: Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, to the throbbing of the bells, of the bells, bells, bells.

To the sobbing of the bells; Keeping time, time, time, as he knells, knells, knells....

talk the talk..........now, but soon many will take that walk, follow the white line walk. listen.... i can hear the the bells .....

Guest Guest
Steve McCormick is in your face tough guy, don't let him see you sweat ... too late.

How they clang, and clash, and roar! What a horror they outpour on the bosom of the palpitating air!

Yet the ear it fully knows, by the twanging, and the clanging, how the danger ebbs and flows: Yet the ear distinctly tells, in the jangling, and the wrangling, how the danger sinks and swells, by the sinking or the swelling in the anger of the bells of the bells, of the bells, bells, bells,bells,bells, bells, bells in the clamor and the clangor of the bells!

And the people - ah, the people. They that dwell up in the steeple, all alone and who, tolling, tolling, tolling, In that muffled monotone...

And their king it is who tolls; And he rolls, rolls, rolls, rolls a paean from the bells!

And his merry bosom swells with the paean of the bells! And he dances, and he yells; Keeping time, time, time, in a sort of Runic rhyme, to the paean of the bells

of the bells: Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, to the throbbing of the bells, of the bells, bells, bells.

To the sobbing of the bells; Keeping time, time, time, as he knells, knells, knells....

talk the talk..........now, but soon many will take that walk, follow the white line walk. listen.... i can hear the the bells .....

i think wil\th all the bells your hearing you should go see a shrink you sound a little crazy or your off your meds...........

Guest Guest

Looks like the Harrison Phantom is back at it.

Guest John Donne
i think wil\th all the bells your hearing  you should go see a shrink you sound a little crazy or your off your meds...........

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main......

......my towns demise diminishes me, because I am involved in this community;

(( apologies ))

......therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee..."

"Men of five still alive through the raging glow,

gone insane from the pain that they surely know."

;) απόκρυφα ;)

Guest Guest
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...... 

......my towns demise diminishes me, because I am involved in this community;

(( apologies ))

......therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee

-it tolls for thee..."

"Men of five still alive through the raging glow,

gone insane from the pain that they surely know."

;) απόκρυφα  ;)

Too much cool - aid there pal?

Guest derision is thy name knave
Too much cool - aid there pal?

oh is that what you call this stuff? goes down smooth, just leaves my ears ringing a little is all. besides this crap is way over anyones head here after reading these other ridiculous rants. might i suggest an overnight at a holiday inn before attempting any further ingestion of my surreal attempts at intellirati.

Guest GRACE in space

IN the greenest of our valleys

By good angels tenanted,

Once a fair and stately palace —

Radiant palace — reared its head.

In the monarch Thought's dominion —

It stood there !

Never seraph spread a pinion

Over fabric half so fair !

Banners yellow, glorious, golden,

On its roof did float and flow,

(This — all this — was in the olden