Local Playgrounds

Guest What a Shame

Guest What a Shame

On my way to work this morning, my husband went through Devon Terrace, over at the beautiful Dowd Playground some individual or group ripped the nice cyclone fence off the posts to get into the locked (at night) playground, where are the parents and or the police? I see many of these Rec Dept. workers cleaning and maintaining these playgrounds all over town, and then in a split second the youths

tear it apart. There should be cameras on these sites, and the people getting caught should be held accountable, no matter what their age. We pay too much tax as it is, we do not need to redo every playground in the town every other week. PARENTS! WHERE ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN?

it sure the hell isn't respect for other peoples or town property. I think that there are enough police people in this town to patrol the playgrounds at night, also many years ago we had an auxilery police squad, we should bring them back, volunteers

who love this town and want to see it flourish.

Guest Guest
On my way to work this morning, my husband went through Devon Terrace, over at the beautiful Dowd Playground some individual or group ripped the nice cyclone fence off the posts to get into the locked (at night) playground, where are the parents and or the police? I see many of these Rec Dept. workers cleaning and maintaining these playgrounds all over town, and then in a split second the youths

tear it apart. There should be cameras on these sites, and the people getting caught should be held accountable, no matter what their age. We pay too much tax as it is, we do not need to redo every playground in the town every other week. PARENTS! WHERE ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN?

it sure the hell isn't respect for other peoples or town property. I think that there are enough police people in this town to patrol the playgrounds at night, also many years ago we had an auxilery police squad, we should bring them back, volunteers

who love this town and want to see it flourish.

Maybe we should start "breaking their backsides" again.

Guest BoredInKearny
Maybe we should start "breaking their backsides" again.

I can tell you from expierence that a lot takes place after dark around Kearny and its parks. My friends and I generally walk around late at night, because there's simply no form of entertainment in this town (though we are all a lot older than the teenagers you'll see out). While we prefer to just roam around we come upon interesting activities all the time, which are mostly created by the juvenile youths here.

There's always drug trafficking taking place in Manor park. It's not uncommon to see someone plant something on the playground one minute, and see a different person retrieve it an hour later. There's also a copious amount of underage drinking every now and then.

The Oval is always hit with things like graffiti. West Hudson park occassionally has children throwing sticks onto the road, or rocks at cars. There's a lot of interesting hot spots within Kearny I won't even mention, because they're just nice places to sit and relax with friends on a boring weekend.

There's enough police out during the late hours, but obviously it's difficult to be vigilant when problems are being created in more well-known areas such as Kearny Ave., and surrounding streets. I don't think cameras would be the best solution either as they're easy to spot and locate by determined individuals, and aren't always entirely reliable. It'd be nice to see that curfew enforced, but up to age 18, because I'm sick of the kids walking past my house shoutting at 4 AM when I have to get up for work.

• 2 weeks later...