Mayor Santos Already Putting Spin On Taxes.

Guest THE SILENT MAJORITY

Does anyone honestly believe that the elected officials in Kearny have put any of this money away? For years, they have closed budget gaps with fortuitous payments from the HMDC or a state sanctioned hiatus from employee pension payments.

We are mistaken in thinking this is our money that they are spending, apparently, once the taxes are paid, it becomes their money to do with as they please. We taxpayers can only hope for table scraps.

Thank you Mayor and Council for your generosity and continued floggings.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Sherry
Does anyone honestly believe that the elected officials in Kearny have put any of this money away? For years, they have closed budget gaps with fortuitous payments from the HMDC or a state sanctioned hiatus from employee pension payments.

We are mistaken in thinking this is our money that they are spending, apparently, once the taxes are paid, it becomes their money to do with as they please. We taxpayers can only hope for table scraps.

Thank you Mayor and Council for your generosity and continued floggings.

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. You know I would have answered immediately.

The payment from NJMC (title was changed quite some time ago) was barely enough to cover the increases for all types of town insurance premiums and employee benefits. So if the elected officials had not made provisions for the contract settlements, property owners would have experienced at least a 4%-5% tax increase instead of the actual 1.5% increase.

Your description of the NJMC payment as "fortuitous" would insinuate that this was a chance or accidental remedy. It actually was a sought after, negotiated, fiscally responsible and legitimate source of revenue. It is the type of financing that creative adminstrations use to close budget gaps rather than solely by raising taxes.

Your assumption that we spend YOUR money any way we choose is, however, correct. Since WE are exempt from paying taxes; completely ignore federal and state statutes, and ethical guidelines; totally disregard the credentials of our professional consultants; and generally don't give a damn. (Excuse me while I extricate my tongue from my cheek!)

Tell it to Mr. Fiorentino when you mention your astute attention to detail of how the moneys are spent.

"you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln

Some of us remember the MAJOR missteps.

I'll leave my tongue where it is. As always, dismiss what you don't agree with, King Al has taught you well.

"THE SPIN DOCTORS ARE IN MOTION" TAXES STLL WENT UP COUNCILWOMAN SHERRY!!!!! LETS REMIND OUR READERS SHE IS UP FOR RE-ELECTION THIS JUNE 2005. "LETS MAKE A CHANGE ALSO IN THE 2ND WARD BY BRINGING KEARNY'S 2ND WARD ALIVE IN 2005"

Guest realitycheck
SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THIS ANSWER BUT YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE MAN IS DUE THE LAST MAYOR TO REDUCE MUNICPAL TAXES WAS LEO VARTAN !!!!!!!!CHECK THE RECORDS!!

The only way to reduce taxes is to reduce spending. Reducing revenue is not the same as reducing taxes. Bills have to be paid. Only a fool would offer applause to someone who spent more money than they earn.

Guest A. Realist
SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THIS ANSWER BUT YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE MAN IS DUE THE LAST MAYOR TO REDUCE MUNICPAL TAXES WAS LEO VARTAN !!!!!!!!CHECK THE RECORDS!!

Found this old post about Vartan while browsing. You meant this as sarcasm, right? Under our former disgraced mayor taxes may have been "stabilized" but the town was on C.O.D. with vendors and if I remember rightly, had the worst credit/bond rating in its history. And one of your favorite gripes--contracts were not settled. And who could forget the water sale. Oops, I meant give-away. But, yeah, give credit where credit is due. We all know what a sterling character Little Leo tuned out to be. Leo cutting taxes was like Mussolini getting the trains to run on time.

Guest A. Realist
"THE SPIN DOCTORS ARE IN MOTION" TAXES STLL WENT UP COUNCILWOMAN SHERRY!!!!! LETS REMIND OUR READERS SHE IS UP FOR RE-ELECTION THIS JUNE 2005. "LETS MAKE A CHANGE ALSO IN THE 2ND WARD BY BRINGING KEARNY'S 2ND WARD ALIVE IN 2005"

Ouch! Love to see the knee-jerk reactions when the Grey Panther from Ward 2 hits a nerve. What was the smallest margin she ever won by? 2 to 1? Was she ever in a close one? Go get 'em, Babs.

And only a fool would fail to see that spending more money than the majority of the people can afford and support the failed policies of the "SANTOS ADMINSTRATION" There is no applause for this guy. "LETS BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005"

There is more than one way to reduce taxes. Yes, reduce spending is one. Also, bringing in more ratables into our town is another. While I am undecided about the impact of a Lowes or Walmart coming into town (I use local stores (Hardware, Lumber etc.) whenever I can) attracting more industry (warehousing, light manufacturing, and the like) would have similar results, right? I assume different businesses may be taxed differently, stores vs. industry as an example, but the fact that they both create ratables is a good thing in regards to taxes. The question is, how does the town attract ratables to Kearny? To the business owner, I think Kearny has a lot to offer. Highways, rail (sort of now), near the port and airport. What is done to attract these businesses here. Is there still a Chamber of Commerce in Kearny?

(I think I spelled ratables wrong)

Guest A. Realist
And only a fool would fail to see that spending more money than the majority of the people can afford and support the failed policies of the "SANTOS ADMINSTRATION" There is no applause for this guy. "LETS BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005"

I am lovin' that slogan. Clever without being ostentatious. Whimsical yet poetic. Can I make a suggestion as to what you should do with it? No, not that! Blow it up real big and put it in your front window at election time. That way everyone will know who you are and where you stand (as if we didn't already know). And also, you'll have a tangible way to actually eat your words after being force-fed a can of Whoop A** followed by a large slice of Humble Pie, washed down with some vintage Itoldyouso. (My flu must be getting better. I'm beginning to feel like myself again---real nasty)

KING AL STAYIN' ALIVE

STILL HOLDING COURT IN 2005

Ouch! Love to see the knee-jerk reactions when the Grey Panther from Ward 2 hits a nerve. What was the smallest margin she ever won by? 2 to 1? Was she ever in a close one? Go get 'em, Babs.

NOT THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

Guest A. Realist

NOT THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

Veeeeeeery snappy come-back!!! How long did you sit in front of the computer before you created that masterpiece? C'mon, let's see a little passion, a little imagination, a little veracity.

YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE

"BARB" WILL STILL BE A THORN IN YOUR SIDE

I am lovin' that slogan. Clever without being ostentatious. Whimsical yet poetic. Can I make a suggestion as to what you should do with it? No, not that! Blow it up real big and put it in your front window at election time. That way everyone will know who you are and where you stand (as if we didn't already know). And also, you'll have a tangible way to actually eat your words after being force-fed a can of Whoop A** followed by a large slice of Humble Pie, washed down with some vintage Itoldyouso. (My flu must be getting better. I'm beginning to feel like myself again---real nasty)

KING AL STAYIN' ALIVE

Thank you for loving my slogan, you were much nicer when you had the flu,The sad thing here in your post is that YOU just defined the kind of individual that supports the failed policies of MAYOR ALBERTO G. SANTOS "LETS RID OURSELVES OF ALL NASTY PEOPLE IN KEARNY" "LETS MAKE KEARNY ALIVE AND FRIENDLY IN 2005"

Guest A. Realist

KING AL STAYIN' ALIVE

Thank you for loving my slogan, you were much nicer when you had the flu,The sad thing here in your post is that YOU just defined the kind of individual that supports the failed policies of MAYOR ALBERTO G. SANTOS "LETS RID OURSELVES OF ALL NASTY PEOPLE IN KEARNY" "LETS MAKE KEARNY ALIVE AND FRIENDLY IN 2005"

Now, see what happens when you get flustered--you start to sound silly. Take a deep breath, count to 10, and try to find that sense of humor you've been suppressing. Lighten up. You're taking this much too seriously. Don't worry, Kearny will be just fine 'cause Big Al has everything under control. Oh, and my health is much better. Thank you for caring.

SANTOS AND COMPANY WILL BE JUST FINE

WHETHER THEY'RE ON THE A,B OR E LINE

Guest Austrian Housepainter

KING AL STAYIN' ALIVE

Yes let's get rid of all the nasty people first.Then the imperfect and the infirm.TODAY KEARNY, TOMORROW THE WORLD.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GUEST

SILENT.....HOW COME YOUR NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR PROPERTY VALUE GOING UP? I PURCHASED MY HOME IN THE 80'S FOR APPROX. $135,000. AND I KNOW I COULD SELL IT TODAY FOR AT LEAST $320,000. MY CHILD RECEIVED AN EXCELLENT EDUCATION IN KEARNY. I AM NOT A SPIN DOCTOR, FUST LOOKING AT THE FACTS. TAXES HAVE GONE UP EVERYWHERE IN NJ. I THINK YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK AT THE WHOLE PICTURE. BY THE WAY, IF YOUR SO UNHAPPY HERE, WHY NOT MOVE?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. First of all I am not complaining, the point that I am trying to make is that Kearny is a blue collar town and reguardless of whether I sell my house or not the tax problem is still going to be here. What MAYOR SANTOS fails to realize is that you can't contiune to blame the state for Kearny's tax mess. The time is now to make change in Kearny and elect a MAYOR that will confront our problems popular or not and not wait for a quick fix from the state around election time. At some point someone will have to deal with this issue and when it happens its not going to be pretty!!!!!!!!

Guest A. Realist
Sorry for the late reply. First of all I am not complaining, the point that I am trying to make is that Kearny is a blue collar town and reguardless of whether I sell my house or not the tax problem is still going to be here. What MAYOR SANTOS fails to realize is that you can't contiune to blame the state for Kearny's tax mess. The time is now to make change in Kearny and elect a MAYOR that will confront our problems popular or not and not wait for a quick fix from the state around election time.          At some point someone will have to deal with this issue and when it happens its not going to be pretty!!!!!!!!

Not complaining? That's all you ever do!! Never offer alternative solutions, just vague doomsday scenarios and misinformation. You really think John Campbell is CAPABLE of coming up with better, more logical, more well thought-out budget solutions than Santos? What the hell have you been smokin'? Santos is the smartest, most honest, and hardest working mayor this town has had in a very long time. I have nothing to gain by saying this and I have seen 'em all from Healey right to today. He does confront the tax problem. Do the math--those "quick fixes" you refer to have saved you millions of dollars in tax revenue. Guess a lot of people agree--his numbers at the polls are impressive and will continue to be.

My prediction--Santos by at least 2 to 1!!!!!

SANTOS WILL THRIVE IN 2005

Guest Guest 99
Sorry for the late reply. First of all I am not complaining, the point that I am trying to make is that Kearny is a blue collar town and reguardless of whether I sell my house or not the tax problem is still going to be here. What MAYOR SANTOS fails to realize is that you can't contiune to blame the state for Kearny's tax mess. The time is now to make change in Kearny and elect a MAYOR that will confront our problems popular or not and not wait for a quick fix from the state around election time.          At some point someone will have to deal with this issue and when it happens its not going to be pretty!!!!!!!!

So, based on your response, it is your contention that Campbell is the person to resolve all the woes of Kearny. If you would, please enlighten us as to his qualifications and your reasons for supporting him. :D

Guest Guest
So, based on your response, it is your contention that Campbell is the person to resolve all the woes of Kearny. If you would, please enlighten us as to his qualifications and your reasons for supporting him. :angry:

That's right Silent! Kearny is a Blue Collar town and that's the way it should go back to being. Mayor "White Collar" Santos doesn't belong and has to go. He doesn't share the same problems like the normal working man and seems to be in this for his own self gain. His excuses on taxes have become stale along with his views and opinions. It's time for a change in Kearny! Let's get a "Blue Collar" mayor elected so that he can relate and have an understanding of the problems that the majority of people in Kearny face today.

Guest Guest 99
That's right Silent! Kearny is a Blue Collar town and that's the way it should go back to being. Mayor "White Collar" Santos doesn't belong and has to go. He doesn't share the same problems like the normal working man and seems to be in this for his own self gain. His excuses on taxes have become stale along with his views and opinions. It's time for a change in Kearny! Let's get a "Blue Collar" mayor elected so that he can relate and have an understanding of the problems that the majority of people in Kearny face today.

Please name the last "blue collar" Mayor in Kearny.