Mayor Santos Already Putting Spin On Taxes.

Guest THE SILENT MAJORITY

Is the public going to accept excuse after excuse as to why the property taxes in Kearny have gone up every single year SANTOS has been MAYOR????????If SANTOS was so concerned about taxes why was'nt he outspoken on the Board of Education SURPRISE ELECTION held in December while everyone was out XMAS SHOPPING????? THAT INCREASED OUR TAXES MAYOR!!!!!! I hope the public is listening to what the MAYOR is saying because his SPIN DOCTORS will be out in force blaming everybody but guess who, YOU GOT IT.......MAYOR SANTOS!!!! BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005!!!! MAKE CHANGE WORK FOR US !!!!!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest 99
Is the public going to accept excuse after excuse as to why the property taxes in Kearny have gone up every single year SANTOS has been MAYOR????????If SANTOS was so concerned about taxes why was'nt he outspoken on the Board of Education SURPRISE ELECTION held in December while everyone was out XMAS SHOPPING?????    THAT INCREASED OUR TAXES MAYOR!!!!!!  I hope the public is listening to what the MAYOR is saying because his SPIN DOCTORS will be out in force blaming everybody but guess who, YOU GOT IT.......MAYOR SANTOS!!!! BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005!!!!    MAKE CHANGE WORK FOR US !!!!!

You make it sound like taxes never went up before Al Santos got in office. Look around other towns and you'll see the same thing. Taxes have been going up for decades in NJ towns, as have your paychecks. When was the last time you complained about getting a pay raise because it will raise the price of the product associated with your business. Need I tell you. NEVER!!

Do any of you really believe the council sits up there and thinks of ways to raise your taxes? You want better education, you pay for it. You want bettr recreation, you pay for it. You want better streets, you pay for it. On and on and on.

Rah rah slogans like your "BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005!!!!" solve absolutely nothing. Give us answers SILENT. Tell us how you would fix things without affecting services or quality of life. Not part of the solution, part of the problem. :ph34r:

Guest Sum it up
Is the public going to accept excuse after excuse as to why the property taxes in Kearny have gone up every single year SANTOS has been MAYOR????????If SANTOS was so concerned about taxes why was'nt he outspoken on the Board of Education SURPRISE ELECTION held in December while everyone was out XMAS SHOPPING?????    THAT INCREASED OUR TAXES MAYOR!!!!!!  I hope the public is listening to what the MAYOR is saying because his SPIN DOCTORS will be out in force blaming everybody but guess who, YOU GOT IT.......MAYOR SANTOS!!!! BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005!!!!    MAKE CHANGE WORK FOR US !!!!!

You make it sound like taxes never went up before Al Santos got in office. Look around other towns and you'll see the same thing. Taxes have been going up for decades in NJ towns, as have your paychecks. When was the last time you complained about getting a pay raise because it will raise the price of the product associated with your business. Need I tell you. NEVER!!

Do any of you really believe the council sits up there and thinks of ways to raise your taxes? You want better education, you pay for it. You want bettr recreation, you pay for it. You want better streets, you pay for it. On and on and on.

Rah rah slogans like your "BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005!!!!" solve absolutely nothing. Give us answers SILENT. Tell us how you would fix things without affecting services or quality of life. Not part of the solution, part of the problem. :ph34r:

I have a question, Did they ever go down before Al Santos? Taxes that is.

Thank you for your comments spin doctor!!!!! You just add to the problem by offering no solutions yourself. WHAT HAPPENED TO MAYOR SANTOS 10 POINT PLAN TO STABLIZE TAXES???? IT HASN'T HAPPENED!!!!! THIS WAS HIS PROMISE!!!I Oh by the way I guess if we want good town legal services I guess we have to pay for them too!!!!. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT BILL!!!! " BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005"

It's not just the raising of the taxes you jackass, it's the way the mayor and council waste money!!!!

Guest Guest 99

"I have a question, Did they ever go down before Al Santos? Taxes that is."

Yes, taxes have gone down before....In the 50s and 60s when the town allowed dumping in the "swamps". And, in the 90s when it allowed the police and fire depts. manpower to dwindle to dangerous levels.

"It's not just the raising of the taxes you jackass, it's the way the mayor and council waste money!!!!"

Sticks and stones, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, would you be more explicit by explaining what waste you are referring to?

"Thank you for your comments spin doctor!!!!! You just add to the problem by offering no solutions yourself. WHAT HAPPENED TO MAYOR SANTOS 10 POINT PLAN TO STABLIZE TAXES???? IT HASN'T HAPPENED!!!!! THIS WAS HIS PROMISE!!!I Oh by the way I guess if we want good town legal services I guess we have to pay for them too!!!!. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT BILL!!!! " BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005"

In a previous response I said if you wanted better education, recreation and streets, as examples, you had to pay for them. SOLUTIONS: Forgo replacing teachers, eliminating recreation programs (replace Gunnel Oval with a Home Depot and Harvey Field with Lowes) and living a little longer between street repavings. How about trash pick-up ONCE a week or pay by the container? No more street cleaning, including leaf pickup?

Open the library from 4 to 8, only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday? No Halloween parade, no Christmas party, no 4th of July fireworks, no high school sports?

No legal fees? Pay out EVERY claim on the spot. Are you willing to accept these cutbacks? Remember, you can't have steak on a hamburger budget.

Now that I have your attention, let's look at the real problem areas you should be zeroing in on. County government, school boards and the property tax system.

Why do we need county government? What does it do for us besides act as a middle man between the towns and state government? Solution: ELIMINATE IT!!!

School taxes account for approximately 50% of our property taxes, yet less than 20% of the registered voters care enough to decide who oversees the funds. SOLUTION: A proactive approach is needed whereby people show a concern BEFORE taxes go up. Attend meetings. Speak up.There will be no solution while apathy reigns supreme.

The true culprit is the system by which we support all these programs, the dreaded PROPERTY TAX SYSTEM. SOLUTION: User tax, higher income tax, higher sales tax? I really don't know, but a drastic change is paramount. Any thoughts out there?

Finally, it was not my intent to "spin" anything. Am I not allowed my opinion, as are you? I look at the glass as half full while it appears you look at it as half empty. There are answers to all questions, whether big or small, but it takes time, work, compromise and dedication to bring these answers out and see them to fruition. As I've said a thousand times, get out there if you're really concerned, speak up, don't argue, if you disagree. The bottom line is, I guess, working together toward a compromise with appeal to everyone involved. ;)

Guest senior citizen

I recall back when Mr. Leadbeater ran for the county freeholder position, it was with the idea of doing away with county government. I also remember him losing in the primary because he said that. As a refresher he also talked about reassessing ALL properties in town so that ALL pay equal taxes and again he got beat. Seems to me he was FAR ahead of where we are today. If we had only done that then maybe we would not be in the predictamum that we are now.

Guest sum it up

There were no dangerously low levels of police and fire personnel in the 50's&60's and the glass is three quaters empty that's why seniors have to sell their homes and beg for a room at the new senior buildings. Are you sure the only time taxes went down before AGS was in the fifites and sixty's? Think about that again. and keep this in mind there are to many B/S jobs in the educational system check the portion of the buget that goes to payroll. Then lets taik about county goverment. ;)

Guest Guest 99
There were no dangerously low levels of police and fire personnel in the 50's&60's and the glass is three quaters empty that's why seniors have to sell their homes and beg for a room at the new senior buildings. Are you sure the only time taxes went down before AGS was in the fifites and sixty's? Think about that again. and keep this in mind there are to many B/S jobs in the educational system check the portion of the buget that goes to payroll. Then lets taik about county goverment.  ;)

If you reread my statement, you will find that I said the police and fire depts. numbers were low in the 90s, NOT the 50s & 60s. I also did NOT say the only time taxes went down was in the 50s & 60s. I simply gave two examples of the topic at hand.

The Board of Education may very well be overstaffed, but I don't know that to be a fact. I'm not saying it isn't, I just haven't seen the facts. What jobs titles are you talking about?

I can hardly believe a senior; who more than likely has a paid off mortgage or one that is almost paid off; would sell a house in Kearny, net a large profit and beg for a two room apartment in subsidized housing. To use your words, "Think about that again". :)

To Senior Citizen: You are absolutely correct.

Guest Guestimate
There were no dangerously low levels of police and fire personnel in the 50's&60's and the glass is three quaters empty that's why seniors have to sell their homes and beg for a room at the new senior buildings. Are you sure the only time taxes went down before AGS was in the fifites and sixty's? Think about that again. and keep this in mind there are to many B/S jobs in the educational system check the portion of the buget that goes to payroll. Then lets taik about county goverment. ;)

Try a reading comprehension course. It could do wonders:

Guest 99: "Yes, taxes have gone down before....In the 50s and 60s when the town allowed dumping in the "swamps". And, in the 90s when it allowed the police and fire depts. manpower to dwindle to dangerous levels."

SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THIS ANSWER BUT YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE MAN IS DUE THE LAST MAYOR TO REDUCE MUNICPAL TAXES WAS LEO VARTAN !!!!!!!!CHECK THE RECORDS!!

Guest Guest 99
SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THIS ANSWER BUT YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE MAN IS DUE THE LAST MAYOR TO REDUCE MUNICPAL TAXES WAS LEO VARTAN !!!!!!!!CHECK THE RECORDS!!

And how did he accomplish this feat, Silent? By being the mayor in the 90s who let the police and fire numbers get low as I had previously stated.

Still no solutions, huh, Silent?? How about mine? I gave you numerous ways to save money and you go out of town without saying a word. Now you're back and want to change the subject??? <_<

Guest snow man

And how did he accomplish this feat, Silent? By being the mayor in the 90s who let the police and fire numbers get low as I had previously stated.

Still no solutions, huh, Silent?? How about mine? I gave you numerous ways to save money and you go out of town without saying a word. Now you're back and want to change the subject??? <_<

Not true he hired civilian dispatchers and put police back on the street. But we all know what happened with that solution. You don't offer any solutions either just lip service. :blink::blink:

Guest Manthey

And what is going to happen when the Firefighters (5-years no contract) and the Police (1-year with no contract) ratify contracts?

I am alive and well spin doctor and still in TOWN and intend on staying here. As for your solutions, I find them not very well thought out. This is why MAYOR SANTOS has the towns finances in a shambles because he refuses to think out and confront where the problems exsist. Example: How do you justify cutting the recreation budget over the years he has been Mayor and increasing money in LEGAL SERVICES. And to add insult to injury, ( PARENTS HAVE TO PAY A FEE IF THEY WANT THEIR CHILDREN TO PARTICIPATE IN A RECREATION PROGRAM)"ITS NOT FAIR" I believe it takes strong leadership in making tough decisions, and not making excuses as to why this is happening to Kearny. This Mayor had a 10 point plan on how to address property taxes. IT HAS'T WORKED!!! Your right about one thing 99 its not easy being Mayor but sometimes you have to step up the plate and make tough decisions (THIS MAYOR HAS'T DONE THAT) although they may be unpopular they will result in a more service oriented community that will represent the public at large and not the certain powerful interest establishment. BRING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005!!!!!!

Guest Guest 99

A dialogue that leads to the resolution of issues needs input from all sides. Unfortunately, all I've seen so far are rebuttals to my statements. If you don't like my answers, what are yours?

I've asked time and again for answers to the problems from "Silent", but have yet to see any. I have asked others to elaborate on statements such as, "it's the way the mayor and council waste money!!!!", or, " there are to many B/S jobs in the educational system." Nothing, nada, zilch!

Silent, or anyone else for that matter, what don't you like about my solutions? Come on, I can take it. Hit me with both barrels. Do you like county government to the point that you think it should stay? Do you disagree with a proactive approach to school taxes? If the tax system was changed so everyone paid a share based on income or purchases, not the value of their property, would that be a fairer system? Wadda youse tink? :angry:

By the tone of your response it is apparent that you support the failed policies of MAYOR ALBERTO SANTOS. Please answer me why the MAYOR has dragged his feet in dealing with these town UNION CONTRACTS. This is a part of the budget process that will decide if the tax rate will increase 99. The PUBLIC needs to remember the MAYOR had a "10 POINT PLAN TO STABLIZE PROPERTY TAXES IN KEARNY" It is a failed policy that has't worked. The Mayor needs to address key areas in this budget that "unpopular as they may be" need to be cleared up before his RE- ELECTION. It is time to step up to the plate MAYOR and make the decisions you were elected to make in the interests of making KEARNY an affordable community." CHANGE IS COMING AND KEARNY WILL COME ALIVE IN 2005" The public is on to your "SMOKE AND MIRRORS" style of steering the towns problems away from your adminstration and on to some other entity. "WAKE UP KEARNY TAXPAYERS" Its time to take your TOWN back in 2005.

Guest Guest 99

First of all, this site is getting worse by the day in reference to it's monitoring and posting process. How can persons debate an issue when the site is updated sometimes every four days? Having said that, back to the discussion at hand.

Silent, you are so vague in your wording that some may be led to believe you are a former elected official or wannabe squeezing the sour grapes. If you could, please identify the "key areas in this budget that "unpopular as they may be" need to be cleared up". Also, if you would please clarify, "steering the towns problems away from your adminstration and on to some other entity".

The town contracts are in arbitration, so unless the Mayor and Town Council simply concede to all the union demands, the arbitrator will have the final say. However, if they did give in, your taxes would go up and you would just have one more complaint. Is that what you're looking for? There also has been some talk on other strings that perhaps the union leadership is as much to blame for the dragging on of negotiations. I do not know this to be true or not.

You are correct, however, that the ten point plan did not succeed. The Mayor has stated publicly that the plan was not as complete success, but some points, such as redevelopement, are long term and only time will tell. Applebees, Walmart and the possibility of Lowes coming to town will add very large rateables to the tax rolls, thereby easing the homeowners burden.

Finally, I have yet to see or hear any response to my request for answers from you or anyone else.

;)

The town contracts are in arbitration, so unless the Mayor and Town Council simply concede to all the union demands, the arbitrator will have the final say. However, if they did give in, your taxes would go up and you would just have one more complaint. Is that what you're looking for? There also has been some talk on other strings that perhaps the union leadership is as much to blame for the dragging on of negotiations. I do not know this to be true or not.

What about these contracts is so difficult?? What demands by the Unions are so horrible that they can't be worked out without arbitration?? The tax burden would be much less without having to pay out YEARS of retroactive Pay??? One of the Death Knells of the Vartan Administration was his unwillingness through the Then Town administrator to negotiate in good faith with the town Workers, Police and Fire unions, which ultimately cost the town Millions when the contracts WERE finally settled. I recall when Santos was first Elected to the council, one of his pledges was that it would never happen again well, we see that it is happening yet again, and as usual the taxpayers get no communication from the Town. If there is a reason for this stalling on the contracts, then it should be made public, since WE are the ones who will ultimately be paying for the stall in our taxes.

Thank you 99 for finally agreeing that the 10 POINT PLAN TO STABILIZE KEARNY'S PROPERTY TAXES FAILED under the leadership of MAYOR ALBERTO SANTOS. It is high time that the" TAXPAYERS OF KEARNY " wake up and smell the coffee and give others a chance to address this issue. This the reason we didn't re-elect Leo Vartan. If they can't succeed in addressing the problem its time to step aside and give others a chance 99. "THAT'S ONE SOLUTION " NEW IDEAS IN BRINGING KEARNY ALIVE IN 2005"

Guest Guest 99

While it is true that the Mayor is being silent about the negotiations, doesn't anyone wonder why the union leadership hasn't stepped forward to explain? Has anyone thought that perhaps the arbitrator has put a gag order in affect?

Retro pay doesn't cost any more after two or three years than it would cost to give the pay raise one day after a contract expires as long as monies are put aside in anticipation of the raise. And don't ask me if they have been put aside. March your butt right up to the town hall and ask the Mayor in person. No interest is given on retro pay, so any paid on the anticipation account is a profit to the town. ;)

Retro pay doesn't cost any more after two or three years than it would cost to give the pay raise one day after a contract expires as long as monies are put aside in anticipation of the raise. And don't ask me if they have been put aside. March your butt right up to the town hall and ask the Mayor in person. No interest is given on retro pay, so any paid on the anticipation account is a profit to the town. ;)

Tell that to the lawyers negotiating the contract. ;)