Write In Your Candidate In November's Election

Guest THE SILENT MAJORITY

IT'S NOT HARD AT ALL TO WRITE IN THE CANDIDATE OF YOUR CHOICE FOR COUNCIL IN ALL WARDS IN KEARNY. SEND A MESSAGE TO MAYOR SANTOS AND LET HIM KNOW THE SILENT MAJORITY WON'T BE SILENT ON WHAT HE DID TO THE HARD WORKING PROPERTY OWNERS OF KEARNY. OH! BY THE WAY MAYOR SANTOS DID YOU PAY YOUR MASSIVE PROPERTY TAX INCREASE?????????

When was the last time any of you got off your sofa's, and did anyting but BICH & MOAN!! If you don't like what's going on, why don't YOU run for office and see how many votes you get!! Either PUT UP or SHUT UP!!!

When was the last time any of you got off your sofa's, and did anyting but BICH & MOAN!! If you don't  like what's going on, why don't YOU run for office and see how many votes you get!! Either PUT UP or SHUT UP!!!

ALAN :angry: ALAN TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL :lol:

And, who should we write in? Obviously not you, Silent, because you know nothing about the budget or the fact that it hasn't been passed yet. Any ideas, people?

MICKEY MOUSE, it wouldn't matter.

Guest StudiesandObservations
When was the last time any of you got off your sofa's, and did anyting but BICH & MOAN!! If you don't like what's going on, why don't YOU run for office and see how many votes you get!! Either PUT UP or SHUT UP!!!

The man DOES have a point..What percentage of voters actually cale out to the polls last time around?????

Guest Guest 99

Unfortunately, this has been the attitude of the registered voters of Kearny for far too many years. Voting party lines is not always good. Not voting should not be an option. Attend council meetings, not street corner meetings, to find out what's really going on with the budget, the schools, recreation and development in town.

An uneducated vote is a wasted vote.

IS IT TRUE THAT THIS BUDGET REFLECTS A 16% INCREASE IN LEGAL SERVICES AND A REDUCTON IN THE RECREATION BUDGET RESULTING IN AN INCREASE IN RECREATION FEES FOR PROGRAMS SUCH AS, LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL, AND KEARNY YOUTH SOCCER. IF TRUE THE PROPERTY PARENT OWNER IS PAYING MORE MONEY FOR PROGRAMS THAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THIS HUGE PROPERTY TAX INCREASE WE JUST WERE GIVEN. OH! BY THE WAY MAYOR SANTOS I"M STILL WAITING FOR AN ANSWER ON IF YOU PAYED YOUR MASSIVE PROPERTY TAX INCREASE?????? DOES ANYBODY KNOW???

Unfortunately, this has been the attitude of the registered voters of Kearny for far too many years. Voting party lines is not always good. Not voting should not be an option. Attend council meetings, not street corner meetings, to find out what's really going on with the budget, the schools, recreation and development in town.

An uneducated vote is a wasted vote.

I disagree, it hasn't been going on for years, just the past few years. Who would have ever thought candidates, especially in the 2nd and 3rd wards, would ever run unopposed. It was unheard of no one got a free ride, there was too much competition which kept everyone of their toes. Something happened that changed that. It may be that viable candidates moved out of town or those left are biding there time or just don;t care. but something sure changed, maybe just the majority of residents that voted and ran for office. Too bad, competition is healthy

Vote Lisa For Office!

I'd Love To See Her Conquer Kearny "Kim Catrell" Style...

:lol:

Guest Radagast

I haven't had much to say about local politics in a long while.

Hey! I heard that!!

Anyway.... here are a few possible reasons why political activity in Kearny has ebbed.

1) the Republican Party is non-existant. All I see on their web site is national stuff. Kearny Republicans used to be the most powerful in Hudson County. Since 1969 the Democrats have controled the Mayor's office only 12 out of 35 years. So what happened? Wish I knew.

2) opposition within the local Democratic Party is non-existant. I know that is an unfair statement...but I believe its true.

3) Yes, taxes go up but so do property values. In the past, seniors on fixed incomes were the first to blow you out of office if taxes went up. Kearny is not a seniors town anymore. Demographics have changed. It's still a middle class town but most people are too busy making ends meet to get involved or even vote.

4) Republican, Democrat or None of the Above.... no one is organizing politically in Kearny. There is nothing to spark any interest in politics. Perhaps an issue or a real crisis will come along but until then, nothing will change.

Any thoughts?

Guest Guest 99

I disagree, it hasn't been going on for years, just the past few years. Who would have ever thought candidates, especially in the 2nd and 3rd wards, would ever run unopposed. It was unheard of no one got a free ride, there was too much competition which kept everyone of their toes. Something happened that changed that. It may be that viable candidates moved out of town or those left are biding there time or just don;t care. but something sure changed, maybe just the majority of residents that voted and ran for office. Too bad, competition is healthy

I agree that competition is healthy, but the issue is money. The costs to run a decent campaign have become prohibitive to the point that the county party will not help finance a candidate that it perceives to have lost before starting the race. Until the Republican party can come up with new, viable candidates from outside the "old guard" there will continue to be many one sided elections in Kearny.

IMHO it all began when Leo Vartan started attacking his own people on the council like third ward councilwoman Thompson. Don't get me wrong, she did make some major errors with town finances, but it didn't have to be aired in public, especially by her own party. Since that time the Republicans have become more and more a non-entity on the Kearny political scene.

As Leo was last in office in 1997, I stand by my statement refering to "far too many years".

I agree that competition is healthy, but the issue is money. The costs to run a decent campaign have become prohibitive to the point that the county party will not help finance a candidate that it perceives to have lost before starting the race. Until the Republican party can come up with new, viable candidates from outside the "old guard" there will continue to be many one sided elections in Kearny.

IMHO it all began when Leo Vartan started attacking his own people on the council like third ward councilwoman Thompson. Don't get me wrong, she did make some major errors with town finances, but it didn't have to be aired in public, especially by her own party. Since that time the Republicans have become more and more a non-entity on the Kearny political scene.

As Leo was last in office in 1997, I stand by my statement refering to "far too many years".

Again, I beg to differ. When one person is the Mayor, and the Democratic Town Chairman there should be no real financial problems. Used to be each candidate also raised some money, now the job is up to the Mayor, so what's the problem? Doesn't the County lend some financial support to the pary Chairman? I do agree there is no Republican party, but Democrats were historically competetive and frequently disagreed, and thus had primaries. Guess there is no one left to disagree. Very sad for the town.

Guest Guest 99

The financial backing, or lack thereof, I was referring to was on the Republican side. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

As to your statement about no one being left to disagree, it appears the town of Harrison did okay for many years under Mayor Rodgers and no competition. Now that citizens of Harrison seem to disagree, that community has deteriorated badly. Change can be good, but not necessarily all the time.

Perhaps if it was made simpler or easier for the individual citizen to run for an elected office, we would have more persons involved in the process. It will not happen in my lifetime, however, because the two major parties maintain a stranglehold on election laws.

The financial backing, or lack thereof, I was referring to was on the Republican side. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

As to your statement about no one being left to disagree, it appears the town of Harrison did okay for many years under Mayor Rodgers and no competition. Now that citizens of Harrison seem to disagree, that community has deteriorated badly. Change can be good, but not necessarily all the time.

Perhaps if it was made simpler or easier for the individual citizen to run for an elected office, we would have more persons involved in the process. It will not happen in my lifetime, however, because the two major parties maintain a stranglehold on election laws.

I see your point and enjoy exchanging viewpoints. However, you cannot compare Mayor Rodgers with Kearny's mayor. Rodgers was a master politician, and his staying power was directly related to his policy of inclusion. He kept his friends close and his enemies closer. I don't see that with Mayor Santos. Quite the contrary, his circle appears very limited.

As far as Harrison is concerned, most of the glue that held it together has moved.

either your a santos puppet or your history. thats the way it is. frasnk rogers had staying power. not this clown. he ll be gone as soon as he gets offerred a job and we ll be left to clean up the mess. bring back paglia!

Why isn't anyone else backing Lisa for mayor?

:ph34r:

Guest SDem_Guest
BRING LEO VARTAN BACK!!!

Sorry - but if you don't recall, Mr. Vartan is a convicted felon. He can't ever run for political office again.

As for the rest of Kearny politics - I like what Alan said - put up or shut up! It amuses me when I hear people complain. Not just with politics but evrything. Complaints are a complete wast of time unless, along with the complaint, one offers a viable solution or, at the very least, offers to help find a solution.

Moving on to property taxes - let's get real people. There's a little thing called inflation which affects not only the price you pay for consumer goods but also affects everything else that has to do with money. Taxes are going to go up eventually, pure and simple. No one likes it but it's a reality. The sad thing is that it's always the guy or gal in charge who gets blamed. That's really unfair. There are alot of factors which contribute to economic, political, and governing decisions. I'm sure that Mayor Santos did not intend to increase taxes. It was a choice that had to be made. And, incidentally, no one person can make this type of decision.

Oh, we also have to remember that we can't "get stuff" without "giving away" sometimes. Remember all of the improvements that Kearny residents begged for to make the town look better and to make the town safer and more appealing in which to live? Those things cost money.

It happens, deal with it. Or, if you don't like it, there's a house in Sussex county waiting for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived