Firemen/back-pay?

Guest Guest

The Firemen are looking for three years back-pay? Are you kidding? You are getting paid for nothing already and now you want back-pay! What nerve! You should be glad to have a job where you can sleep all the time and get paid. Your job is no more dangerous than a grocery store clerk or a bus driver, and you do less than an injured athlete sitting on the sidelines. Whoever labled you the "bravest" should have said the "greediest." Give the taxpayers a break and stop this self-serving selfish behavior. It is very embarassing to all involved. The West Hudson depts. should merge and downsize to cut-costs. Thats the solution. More active work and less dead wood on the payroll.

Guest Informed

If you had a clue, you would know that the Chief's of those said departments have already downsized. There is no more to cut.

For example, where you work, we can no longer get the SUPER-SIZE------ yet another example of downsizing.

Guest Informed

If that is true, then good for you. I don't begrudge anyone making a good living, I am sure you worked hard to get there. The point was that you don't have a true understanding of how understaffed the F.D. is. AND, more importantly, their own Chief could care less about their staffing.

Also, if anyone was referring to the "state mandated pension payments" that the town must pay, go back in time. About 5 years ago, municipalities statewide were given a TEMPORARY break on pension contributions, due to the stability of a system that invested its money well. Now, they are required to begin making those payments again. It is not the fault of the fireman or the cops, that this administration decided to spend this money as new found revenue. It should have been saved and earmarked for when their non-contribution ended. This "rainy day" was created by a very REAL credit card mentality that many of us have read about on this site. You can't always put off your bills until later. Eventually, later actually arrives.

Guest just a thought

What a gesture it would be if the town, would give the fire dept. it's back pay, and then the fire dept. with a unanimous membership vote took that money and set up a scholarship fund to benefit hurt and fallen fire fighters children to attend college! If you have lived without the money for three years I'm sure it would help but do you really need it. The amount you would receive individually would be minimal, but pool this money and all of you could really make a difference in alot of childrens lives!! Just A Thought!!!!!!

The pension system should stop paying pensions and the town should stop giving benefits to the fireman that got terminated for drug use and abuse. I'm sure the one stupid cop isn't getting his pension or benefits. These junkies are a disgrace and it hurts all the cops and fireman who truly are sick. That would save quite a bit of money. Also, the town should start taking a closer look at the "injuries" that some of the same cops and fireman keep getting. If you can't do the job, you should be let go and not be a recurring burden to the people that work the job like a man.

Guest Beam Me up Scotty

Guest, your recent comments lead me to the conclusion that although there may be intelligent life on this planet, it is not you!!! There haven't been any fireman removed for any drug use or abuse, so that point is moot. As for the injuries of the police and fireman, there is scrutiny involved with these injuries; however, is it really unrealistic to expect the town to care for its employees. I'm sorry that you feel the grass is greener on my side of the fence, but just because you feel you're not getting your piece of the pie, the fault lies with no one other than yourself.

I always love senseless accusations like this, they are simple to rebuke, and expose your jealousies. Don't let any facts get in the way of your diatribes, logic doesn't suit you.

Archived