Dogs Banned?

Guest pooper

Guest pooper

So I see dogs may be banned from the "new parks" in Kearny (Windsor and Dowd) on top of vets field, the oval and Harvey field.

Enough with the retarded "toddler parks" that no one uses. Kids need space to play but what about those of us who need to run our dogs? Lots of us live in apartments that have NO YARDS. So where exactly do our "elected" officials expect us to exercise our pets? Can't exactly let them run crazy down busy streets because not only would that cause injury to the dog, but the owner would probably wind up with a fine for an unleashed pet.

And in the story, the two parks were added after an unleashed dog was seen wandering around Windsor Park. Wonder why something at that park in particular was mentioned? Can't be anything special about the location of that park or anything.....

So I see dogs may be banned from the "new parks" in Kearny (Windsor and Dowd) on top of vets field, the oval and Harvey field.

Enough with the retarded "toddler parks" that no one uses. Kids need space to play but what about those of us who need to run our dogs? Lots of us live in apartments that have NO YARDS. So where exactly do our "elected" officials expect us to exercise our pets? Can't exactly let them run crazy down busy streets because not only would that cause injury to the dog, but the owner would probably wind up with a fine for an unleashed pet.

And in the story, the two parks were added after an unleashed dog was seen wandering around Windsor Park. Wonder why something at that park in particular was mentioned? Can't be anything special about the location of that park or anything.....

People don't pick up the dog crap. Your pet HAS to have leash on it at all times, even if you are in a park or not. If you dont have a yard for your dog, then you shouldnt have a dog.

Guest Guest

Get a job, save your money, and buy a house with a yard.

If you picked up after your animals they probably wouldn't have suggested the ban in the first place.

Guest Guest

Humans first genius!!!

Guest Guest

Dogs should be banned from where kids play. A lot of owners do not pick up after their pets and frankly it's disgusting if you or your kids walk in it It's also disgusting to see folks waalking saround with bags of S__, but that's their choice. If you want to exercise your talk, put in on a leash and you take it for a run ..you'll both enjoy the exercise.

i wouldn't believe half of what you read in the observer they couldn't get a fact straight if they took a quote lol. I have dogs myself but i am fortunate enough to have a backyard so my dogs can run. Since it's the elected officials who keep insisting they are doing what's best for the community maybe i can suggest to you that you run your dogs at their very expensive house and let's see how fast they will allow the dogs back in the park. You are fighting a system that is filled with a bunch of idiots......the only thing we can do as voters is at the next election vote their asses out of office :blink:

Guest Guest
......the only thing we can do as voters is at the next election vote their asses out of office :blink:

Just like you were able to organize against Jose Torres. Judy, you are such a joke it is really laughable.

Guest Guest

i wouldn't believe half of what you read in the observer they couldn't get a fact straight if they took a quote lol. I have dogs myself but i am fortunate enough to have a backyard so my dogs can run. Since it's the elected officials who keep insisting they are doing what's best for the community maybe i can suggest to you that you run your dogs at their very expensive house and let's see how fast they will allow the dogs back in the park. You are fighting a system that is filled with a bunch of idiots......the only thing we can do as voters is at the next election vote their asses out of office :blink:

Once again, nice job voting out the Torres kid and the BOE members.

The good thing about Mangin being out is that the Mayor has no one left to blame. Maybe now Kearny will see him and his crew for what they are, self serving opportunists.

Guest wrkngrlnj

I support the creation of a dog park in Kearny. Contrary to popular belief, dog parks are not outdoor toilets for dogs. They are places for dogs to run unleashed and play with each other. Owners are still obligated to clean up the dog's messes. There are usually baggies and garbage cans available nearby. Of course there will always be negligent owners who ignore the rules, just like parents who let their kids litter all over the playground, but dog owners don't want to walk in crap either when they're in the dog park with their dogs.

It doesn't take much to build a dog park; just some space and some chicken wire to enclose it. I think the wishing well area down in Riverbank Park is a good place; nobody ever goes down there anyway except dog owners walking their dogs before visiting the vet.

As for those who would turn this issue into an "us" vs "them," I consider that I don't like football, but I support the football team and am glad to see it back. I'm not a senior citizen, yet I support the senior services in town. My kids don't play hockey, but I think the new facility on the river is a nice addition to the town, and clearly appreciated by the hockey players. A good community is one where people support each other's ideas, even when they may not benefit directly. An improvement to the town benefits all of us.

A dog park would be a nice addition to the town. Very forward thinking.

......the only thing we can do as voters is at the next election vote their asses out of office :lol:

Just like you were able to organize against Jose Torres. Judy, you are such a joke it is really laughable.

nah the laugh is on you because i had nothing to do with trying to get jose torres out of office. you better get your facts straight. nice try though better luck next time. the only joke is you...........why don't you use your s/n instead of hiding behind a guest name. What's wrong your not man or women enough???? i speak my mind and my opinion and i use my name because i don't care what people think and your entitled to your opinion also so if you think i'm a joke i want to thank you for the compliment cause i can think of worse things to say to somebody. and try not to laugh to hard or you will be buying yourself some depends.

I agree with wrkngrlnj, a dog park is a great idea. I for one have personally been to one here located in Hudson County. It has parking for about 10 cars, a double gated entrance/exit, park benches and garbage cans scattered around the park as well as an obsticle course for the dogs such as old truck tires for the dogs to run through. The park is fenced in my guess would be about a 10 foot fence around the park, and the park is filled with sand which is a great idea considering asphalt and cement could get too hot during the summer months for the critters paws.

The residence that use the park all pitch in and bring (plastic) grocery bags you would get from any local grocery store for the use of cleaning up after your dog. There is a place they are stored for anyone to use. The residence also pitch in and bring tennis balls and squeeky toys that are left behind for others to play with.

The only downfall is your going to have to bring bottled water and a bowl, because the critters will get thursty running around.

I along with wrkngrlnj would support a dog park in town as well. The location mentioned would be an ideal location as she said most visiting the hospital walk there dogs there anyhow.

The question is...when do we start building?

Guest Guest 99
I support the creation of a dog park in Kearny. Contrary to popular belief, dog parks are not outdoor toilets for dogs. They are places for dogs to run unleashed and play with each other. Owners are still obligated to clean up the dog's messes. There are usually baggies and garbage cans available nearby. Of course there will always be negligent owners who ignore the rules, just like parents who let their kids litter all over the playground, but dog owners don't want to walk in crap either when they're in the dog park with their dogs.

It doesn't take much to build a dog park; just some space and some chicken wire to enclose it. I think the wishing well area down in Riverbank Park is a good place; nobody ever goes down there anyway except dog owners walking their dogs before visiting the vet.

As for those who would turn this issue into an "us" vs "them," I consider that I don't like football, but I support the football team and am glad to see it back. I'm not a senior citizen, yet I support the senior services in town. My kids don't play hockey, but I think the new facility on the river is a nice addition to the town, and clearly appreciated by the hockey players. A good community is one where people support each other's ideas, even when they may not benefit directly. An improvement to the town benefits all of us.

A dog park would be a nice addition to the town. Very forward thinking.

Everyone seems to want some service or this and that built, but no one wants the taxes to go up. Where does the money come from to erect and maintain a dog run? Do we hire another person in the DPW? You also have the liability insurance in case one dog attacks another or an owner on a town supported area. People have to re-learn to take responsibility for themselves, their children and their pets.

Oh, by the way, all Riverbank parks are out because they were paid for with Green Acres money which means every NJ resident has the right to use it or the town has to repay the funding.

Guest wrkngrlnj

In reply to Guest 99, the funding, the little that would be needed, might come from corporate donors, like Petco, or we could start an old fashioned fundraiser. I imagine the DPW would take care of maintaining the dog park, just like they take care of every other park in town (and do a good job of it, I may add). There's no problem with the park being available to all NJ residents. I take my dog to a Union County dog park and they don't seem to mind me visiting. What, is Kearny so exclusive that non-resident dogs and their owners can't use our would-be dog park? If someone wanted to trek over to Kearny to use the dogpark, let them. Maybe they'll say, gee what a nice town this is, they even have their own dogpark.

Guest responsibledog

The subject of "dogs and parks" was a hot issue around eight years ago in NYC. The exact numbers I don't recall, but, their surveys showed that dog walkers represented a significant number of people who used public parks. As a result of this NYC designated parks and/or portions of parks to people with dogs. We have designated large portions of our parks for specific uses such as sporting events. These areas are only used occasionally, yet they are the most expensive to maintain. I have not heard of dog owners objecting to these areas. Designating areas for specific uses , I feel, is a good thing. Areas designated as dog runs could very likely be the most used areas of our parks. As to picking up after your dog, that speaks for itself. If a person won't pick up after their dog in a park, you can be sure they won't pick up after them on the street. Banning dogs from parks will not make that problem go away. The majority of dog owners are responsible people. It is wrong to punish the majority for the actions of a few. Our parks are there for all to use. We should look for ways to increase their use not decrease their use.

Guest bigdog
Dogs should be banned from where kids play. A lot of owners do not pick up after their pets and frankly it's disgusting if you or your kids walk in it It's also disgusting to see folks waalking saround with bags of S__, but that's their choice. If you want to exercise your talk, put in on a leash and you take it for a run ..you'll both enjoy the exercise.

Allowing dogs to run where children play is not the issue. The issue is allowing dogs to run where children don't play. Arrest and fine the crap out of those who don't pick up. Don't blame those who do for those that don't!! If you are disgusted seeing people pick up after their dogs you must get violently ill after wiping your own a#%.

Guest Guest 99
In reply to Guest 99, the funding, the little that would be needed, might come from corporate donors, like Petco, or we could start an old fashioned fundraiser. I imagine the DPW would take care of maintaining the dog park, just like they take care of every other park in town (and do a good job of it, I may add). There's no problem with the park being available to all NJ residents. I take my dog to a Union County dog park and they don't seem to mind me visiting. What, is Kearny so exclusive that non-resident dogs and their owners can't use our would-be dog park? If someone wanted to trek over to Kearny to use the dogpark, let them. Maybe they'll say, gee what a nice town this is, they even have their own dogpark.

Corporate sponsorship is an iffy thing. You get it one year, the next it's gone. However, if you feel it's the answer, get a written agreement from one such company, write a proposal and present it to the mayor and council.

The DPW hasn't maintained the town parks for over a year due to manpower shortages. It's contracted out at an additional cost to taxpayers.

As for it being no problem for out of towners to use the park, does anyone remember what the basketball courts by the marina looked like a few years ago? Ever wonder why the courts aren't there anymore? Because we had neighboring towns and cities whose citizens came to our town on weekends, made a mess, made noise and left the cleanup to us.

Guest Guest

Kearny is now an urban area. You don;t see too many dog runs in cities and the town is now a small inner city except for the manor and that's changing quickly. Taxes are sky high, services are lessened, some of the current population seems unconcerned.

Guest Dog run

What this town needs to do is a build a dog run for all the dog owners in this town. I currently drive to Secaucus to bring my pooch to a cute little dog run the town has down near the Secaucus outlets. It's clean (all owners do clean up after their four legged friends) and you don't have to worry about your dog runnign without a leash on - it's allowed in this park!

• 8 months later...
Guest VOTER
What this town needs to do is a build a dog run for all the dog owners in this town.  I currently drive to Secaucus to bring my pooch to a cute little dog run the town has down near the Secaucus outlets.  It's clean (all owners do clean up after their four legged friends) and you don't have to worry about your dog runnign without a leash on - it's allowed in this park!

I have lived in this town for 40 years and I live in a house so my DOGS HAVE A YARD. BUT I SUPPORT A DOG PARK MATTER OF FACT LETS START A PETITION REMEMBER EVEN IF YOU HAVE A YARD THINK ABOUT THOSE WHO DONT BE A TRUE ANIMAL LOVER WAKE UP ITS 2005 GO VISIT A DOG PARK IN OTHER NORMAL TOWNS YOU MUST CARE ABOUT ALL OF US TO BE A GOOD COMMUNITY. ANY ONE INTERESTED IN STARTING THIS PETITION CONTACT ME. IT SOON WILL BE ELECTION TIME......................

Guest igotdogs
Kearny is now an urban area. You don;t see too many dog runs in cities and the town is now a small inner city except for the manor and that's changing quickly.  Taxes are sky high, services are lessened, some of the current population seems unconcerned.

Hoboken is a small city they have at least 3 dog runs in theirparks...they are also pretty clean for what they are used for.. a little investigation would tell you who runs them and what the cost is. much cheaper than an unused dirty kids playground that becomes a hangout.

Guest Guest

I would support a dog park before an other kiddie park , for the most

part the animals are for more better behaved than the kids that run wild

Maybe they should keep the kids on a lease and let the dogs run free.

• 8 months later...
What this town needs to do is a build a dog run for all the dog owners in this town.  I currently drive to Secaucus to bring my pooch to a cute little dog run the town has down near the Secaucus outlets.  It's clean (all owners do clean up after their four legged friends) and you don't have to worry about your dog runnign without a leash on - it's allowed in this park!

where is this dog park location?

thanks

EM\mily

Archived