Cleanup Kearny Avenue

Guest Disgusted

i think it used to be Rebimba's or something to that effect, but i believe they changed it. on that note, sometimes i think a lot of elderly folk might look at me a tad weird (what with the fatness, beard, and heavy metal t-shirts) but at least i don't cause problems like these kids. they completely lack respect, and that really disappoints me. i hate to be cliche and say that "Kearny is getting worse" but.. the youth are growing more and more loud and obnoxious ever year.

fatness, beard, and heavy metal t-shirts= lazy pot head.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Local Mom

First off, all of us at one time or another were kids. Lets just remember that. Now as far as the kids hanging on the Avenue that issue does need to be addressed. What is there for the kids to do? Activities are scheduled during the day. Maybe if there was something at night, with the proper supervision, the Avenue wouldn't look so inviting. Doesn't anyone remember Romeo's Pizza? On any given night there were about 50 or so teenagers out in front. We do need foot patrol by the police officers because at times things can get out of hand. But that is not to say it happens often. All kids no matter what their ethnic background just want to have fun and hang out with their friends. There are those with some other ideas of drugs and what not, but for the most part kids are good. As for how they dress, well who gives them the money for their clothes? Also, that is all that is in the stores. So before we go blasting the kids and trying to run everyone out of town, lets try to come together and offer them an alternative to Kearny Avenue. I bet most of them would rather be somewhere else anyway.

Guest parent

I understands we were all kids at one time, but I would never have acted the way some of these kids do. they are rude and obnoxious, and just plan disrespectful. As for "having nothing to do" thats not true.

My whole block would play manhunt and other games at night. not hanging out in INTERNET CAFE'S. (by the way, ANOTHER one opened across the street from the library, next to Tietjen's)

I find it hard to feel sorry for kids who can't respect themselves, let alone anyone else or the town they live in. My children might get bored, but believe me, you won't find then hanging on a street corner at night.

i think it used to be Rebimba's or something to that effect, but i believe they changed it. on that note, sometimes i think a lot of elderly folk might look at me a tad weird (what with the fatness, beard, and heavy metal t-shirts) but at least i don't cause problems like these kids. they completely lack respect, and that really disappoints me. i hate to be cliche and say that "Kearny is getting worse" but.. the youth are growing more and more loud and obnoxious ever year.

fatness, beard, and heavy metal t-shirts= lazy pot head.

w00p w00p!

i mean.. :unsure:

Hardcore=your own style! Don't fall for trends. :unsure:

"Hardcore" isn't all that unique, it's a big sub-culture with TONS of people following the same style.

it's tough for kids to make a unique presence for themselves nowadays.

Guest Guest

I agree that the town needs to be cleaned - up. Lets hire more Cops, and to keep the budget in line we can compensate by laying off some of the do-nothing Firemen. Would you rather your tax dollars going to a cop patrolling the beat and keeping your home safe from burglaries or paying for matresses and pillows for a bunch of overweight, sleeping Firemen.

Guest realitycheck
I find it hard to believe they can do NOTHING! This town is turning to shit right under our noses. They only hang out on those corners, BECAUSE THEY CAN! No one is seriously chasing them away. The previous owner of Pizzarama on Kearny Ave had told me he CONSTANTLY asked the kids to move from his store front, unsuccessfully, so he'd call the cops. they would pass by and tell them to move it. they would leave for 5 minutes and be right back. The police know the "hot spot" in this town. What ever happened to FOOT PATROL? God knows we pay enough taxes to entitle us to officers walking the beat! Put an officer by the movies, and near the library. Let people feel safe walking the streets again! I don't care how many plants you line up alone Kearny avenue, when the sun goes down.....its the same old crap!

The Police are constantly responding to these spots. Virtually all of the time they respond to break up gatherings of youths. I walk past these kids daily. I do not feel threatened at all. Under age smoking is hardly a threat. When I see, read or hear of any REAL problem I will act accordingly. I'm sure the Police will act accordingly as well. I see no sane reason to allow ethnic paranoia and/or ignorance ruin a perfectly fine day.

Guest Guest

I don't feel threatened either, not in the least. But when my son (9 yr old) is asked if he wants to buy some weed, well then I'm pissed! When I walked around the corner with him to see who the boys were, I found them outside the Internet Cafe next to Rainbow.

Weed can be bought up by the movies, down by the Library corners, and now by the internet cafe's.

Their ciggarette smoking isn't my problem, its everything else that goes on. It's their vulgur mouths and lack of respect and consideration for anyone around them. Who needs to go to Newark, you can get whatever you want right on Kearny Ave!

I don't doubt the police are called for those groups, but what are they doing, telling them to move alone?

Why can't we enforce the curfew on week nights and weekends? It may not keep them in, but it might keep them off the Avenue. If parents got a court fine they may take alittle more interest in their kids......just a thought!

Guest Guest
I agree that the town needs to be cleaned - up. Lets hire more Cops, and to keep the budget in line we can compensate by laying off some of the do-nothing Firemen. Would you rather your tax dollars going to a cop patrolling the beat and keeping your home safe from burglaries or paying for matresses and pillows for a bunch of overweight, sleeping Firemen.

You are a fire test failing jealous A--Hole that has no clue!

Guest heycopper

Driving around all day and responding to blocked driveways hardly constitutes as work. when they wont even get out of the car to move the crowds . So get over it the job is what the job is the cops have there perks and the fireman have theres ...

So get over it already and if the job was offered to you . you would take it in a second.So stop looking through the glass trying to get in...

Guest Guest

Maybe the fireman should police Kearny Avenue????? All they do is stand in front of the firehouse anyway....no wonder taxes are so high........

First off, all of us at one time or another were kids. Lets just remember that. Now as far as the kids hanging on the Avenue that issue does need to be addressed. What is there for the kids to do? Activities are scheduled during the day. Maybe if there was something at night, with the proper supervision, the Avenue wouldn't look so inviting. Doesn't anyone remember Romeo's Pizza? On any given night there were about 50 or so teenagers out in front. We do need foot patrol by the police officers because at times things can get out of hand. But that is not to say it happens often. All kids no matter what their ethnic background just want to have fun and hang out with their friends. There are those with some other ideas of drugs and what not, but for the most part kids are good. As for how they dress, well who gives them the money for their clothes? Also, that is all that is in the stores. So before we go blasting the kids and trying to run everyone out of town, lets try to come together and offer them an alternative to Kearny Avenue. I bet most of them would rather be somewhere else anyway.

I wish you were my mother. wow. :)

Guest Guest
I agree that the town needs to be cleaned - up.  Lets hire more Cops, and to keep the budget in line we can compensate by laying off some of the do-nothing Firemen.  Would you rather your tax dollars going to a cop patrolling the beat and keeping your home safe from burglaries or paying for matresses and pillows for a bunch of overweight, sleeping Firemen.

Driving around all day and responding to blocked driveways hardly constitutes as work. when they wont even get out of the car to move the crowds . So get over it the job is what the job is the cops have there perks and the fireman have theres ...

So get over it already and if the job was offered to you . you would take it in a second.So stop looking through the glass trying to get in...

So fill us in numb nuts!! What is done on a typical shift in the KFD.

Guest Guest

Pleaaase don't start this topic again. The whining will start again We know the fireman got the 24 hr. shifts in their contract resulting in their presence on the job infrequently. Thank the mayor and council. The fireman wanted this goodie and they got it, so why do you blame?

Guest Guest

Here's a novel idea. How about the council persons taking a walking tour of their respective wards?

They seem only capable of doing this a election time. Check out the sights on Kearny Avenue. Maybe they could bring garbage bags to clean up some.

Don Diago

Guest Guest

enough already with the KFD !!!!

Doesn't that have it own topic link, I thought this was about Kearny Avenue?

That's a great idea having OFFICIALS walking the avenue, but it would never happen, I doubt they even drive down by the library or Bergen ave at night. Its useless to think anything will be done about the riff raff up there at night.

all that will happen is less and less adults will be walking the Ave at night.

No one has addressed the issue of a curfew. from what I understand there used to be one here in Town, why is it no longer enforced?

I think it would really stop some the hanging out.

Guest Barbara Sherry
Here's a novel idea. How about the council persons taking a walking tour of their respective wards?

They seem only capable of doing this a election time. Check out the sights on Kearny Avenue. Maybe they could bring garbage bags to clean up some.

Don Diago

Good idea! But not so original. I've been walking my ward for years; almost every day; making mental notes on problems and reporting to the appropriate departments. And yes I do wear gloves and pick up garbage and deposit it into the receptacles on Kearny Avenue. Why don't you try it? It makes a big difference. And quess what? If you ask the kids hanging out by the Library, they'll even help you.

Guest Guest

No one seems to get it. Neither the elected officials or the residents should have to go around picking up the garbage and litter. First of all for what the taxes cost in Kearny, should cover cost of any litter patrol (by the way there used to be one employee who just did that); The real problem is that many who frequent and hang out on the avenue, are of the inclinination to throw their litter on the sidewalks;l in plain english they're slobs. I spotted one woman who was eating a banana and walking with her child; she just tossed the skin in the curb...where do these people come from the jungles? I asked her to pick it up and she gave me a response I did not understand and just waved her hand at me as if to say drop dead. This is the root of the real problem, no class.

Guest Guest

Garbage in the streets, dog poop in parks - it all comes from the same place: careless people who refuse to take responsibility and clean up after themselves. I walk my dog every night on Kearny Ave. with my "poop bags" and am looked at by people like I'm crazy for cleaning up after him. Comments like who's really in charge here are common. If a person feels they must eat in public (what's wrong with your own kitchen or in a pizzaria) they should pick up after themselves. If a person is responsible enough to have a pet, they should pick up after it. It's pretty simple - everyone takes responsibility for themselves.

Guest helplessinkearny

Tha coffee shop is a disgrace for the past 10 years nobody has made it at that location.But this guy as figured it out hes making money...I doubt it something else is going on.I want it stopped this a little more important than some tree being knocked down in the manor. the quality of life is going down the shit shoot right before our very eyes!!!along all of Kearny ave

Guest THE SENTINEL
Tha coffee shop is a disgrace for the past 10 years nobody has made it at that location.But this guy as figured it out hes making money...I doubt it something else is going on.I want it stopped this a little more important than some tree being knocked down in the manor. the quality of life is going down the shit shoot right before our very eyes!!!along all of Kearny ave

WHAT COFFEE SHOP ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? AND IF YOU DOUBT SOMETHING IS GOING ON WHAT IS YOU WANT DONE ? PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Guest Guest

The reason people are bringing up the Fire Department is because they are sick of taxes going thru the roof and absorbing income they previously used for other debts or vacation while these guys basically have no job at all and walk around like big shots who own the town. they are way, way overpaid and think they are better than everyone else. A VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT WOULD BE JUST AS GOOD, AND I COULD HAVE A LOWER TAX BILL.

Guest Guest

The Police Chief has a home in Kearny, but in the spring, summer and early fall he's down at his shore home in Lavallette. Why hang around Kearny when you make the salary he does and can afford a home at the Jersey Shore. :angry:

Archived