Boe Meeting 6/21/04

Guest washington school parent

Guest Guest
Leave the mayor out of this! He has no control over the BOE it's an autonomous body. They alone are responsible for what is going on. They should do the right thing and give up the extortionest who ever it might be and continue doing the Boards business. These are the type of things that make people sick of elected officials. THEN! they wonder why people don't vote or get invovled. It's b/s like this. Give Diaz his job back and leave the Mayor alone. Good night America!!!

The Mayor's aide is the President of the Board of Education. He can't escape that. The President of the Board of Education works for the Mayor. She can't escape that either. Just as there are many that believe the Mayor is too involved in the school system, there are just as many that feel the BOE President is too involved in the Town. These are the consequences when the BOE President works for the Mayor. She should resign one position and put an end to all these inferences. But she won't and people won't stop linking the two until she does resign or he is voted out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Leave the mayor out of this! He has no control over the BOE it's an autonomous body. They alone are responsible for what is going on. They should do the right thing and give up the extortionest who ever it might be and continue doing the Boards business. These are the type of things that make people sick of elected officials. THEN! they wonder why people don't vote or get invovled. It's b/s like this. Give Diaz his job back and leave the Mayor alone. Good night America!!!

Are you serious? You can't be that out of the loop. The Mayor's aide and confidant is Pres. of the Board. her son is a councilman supported by the Mayor I'm sure they talk to each otherl it's all interwoven.

Guest Guest
Looks like you are all wrong about 6/21. He's not on the agenda... look for yourself.

http://www.kearnyschools.com/Superintenden...June%202004.htm

It doesn't have to be on the agenda. It may be discussed during the closed session, or an observer can address the BOE and bring up a topic for discussion.

So you are wrong. Just being able to post a link doesn't make you intelligent.

Guest Guest

Could you really be that foolish?

Guest Guest 99
The Mayor's aide is the President of the Board of Education. He can't escape that. The President of the Board of Education works for the Mayor. She can't escape that either. Just as there are many that believe the Mayor is too involved in the school system, there are just as many that feel the BOE President is too involved in the Town. These are the consequences when the BOE President works for the Mayor. She should resign one position and put an end to all these inferences. But she won't and people won't stop linking the two until she does resign or he is voted out.

Both are elected officials, elected by the citizens. If you feel there's a conflict with Mary Torres working for the Mayor then why aren't you asking for Mike Martello's resignation? After all, he also works for the Mayor.

Maybe we should have everyone holding more than one elected or appointed position resign. Maybe anyone working for the town shouldn't be involved in any recreation programs run or funded by the town. Maybe most activities would come to a screeching halt because many of these people do double duty because the rest of you are too damn lazy to get out there and help.

It's very easy to sit on the sidelines cheeering or booing the players on the field, but what exactly have YOU done for anyone or any organization recently? :angry:

Guest Parent

The corruption goes far deeper than one board member. Former school board member Dyl got up and asked that the Board pass a resolution to refer the accusations that a member solicited a bribe from Principal Diaz to the Hudson County Prosecutor's office. In the process, school board member Stevenson stated that the accusation against him was false. Who said he was the guy? Diaz had not mentioned any names so how did Stevenson know he was the guy Diaz fingered?

That was interesting but what happened next confirms in my mind that there is widespread corruption in the Kearny School Board which the federal prosecutors (not the do nothing Hudson County prosecutor's office and the do nothing Attorney General, I have my own corruption problems, Peter Harvey) need to investigate.

Mooney who originally recommended Principal Diaz for reappointment back pedals (poorly I must say) and states that although he recommened Principal Diaz last time that now after 2 months since the non appointment (and the corruption allegations) that he is withdrawing his recommendation, not based on test scores, or performance criteria, or specific incidents, or abuse, or any other educational criteria but because of the way Mr. Diaz acted in the past 2 months since he was terminated as Principal and his wife fired as a school psychiatrist. I could not believe what I was hearing. Principal Diaz has acted as well as anyone could under the circumstances and Mooney showed his cards-- he is in on the deal. He is guilty as well.

Attorney Lindensfeser then asked School Board member Campbell to withdraw his motion (from last meeting) to reappointment Principal Diaz based on "the law" that says you could not appoint the Principal unless Mooney recommends him. Mr. Campbell refused and all the members of the board voted No (to reappointment) except Campbell who voted Yes.

The corruption, bribes, and favors go very deep and the feds not the Hudson County Prosecutor's office needs to get involved.

The parents will not give up on improved test scores, improved moral, and a school that is coming back.

Guest Just lettin ya know

Unless your willing to call the feds and start the ball rolling nothing will happen. THAT! YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK. So it's up to you now. Good luck..

Guest Guest

Both are elected officials, elected by the citizens. If you feel there's a conflict with Mary Torres working for the Mayor then why aren't you asking for Mike Martello's resignation? After all, he also works for the Mayor.

Maybe we should have everyone holding more than one elected or appointed position resign. Maybe anyone working for the town shouldn't be involved in any recreation programs run or funded by the town. Maybe most activities would come to a screeching halt because many of these people do double duty because the rest of you are too damn lazy to get out there and help.

It's very easy to sit on the sidelines cheeering or booing the players on the field, but what exactly have YOU done for anyone or any organization recently? :angry:

You can't possibly believe that these people are not influenced by each other.

And by your logic no matter what these people do it's OK, because they managed to get elected or appointed.

Guest Guest
Unless your willing to call the feds and start the ball rolling nothing will happen. THAT! YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK. So it's up to you now. Good luck..

Who do you think you are, Robert Blake? :angry:

Guest Guest

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot that additional connection between the Board of Ed. and the Mayor. It's known that Martello is the fair haired boy who gets whatever he wants. He even put the hand scanners in the schools which are not used. Hey it's all political, Stevenson got his wife a job while he was on the board, Dyl who was a town employee also got his wife and sister in law a job while he was on the Board, Torres works for the Mayor and is Board Pres., her son works with the Mayor, a councilwoman's son is hired despite a hiring freeze, and next with be Councilwoman Doyle's son in law for promotion. Hey it's okay but don't chastise others for saying so. It is what it is, it's all political so stop trying to make it appear it's for the commom good. At least, get honest.

Guest It's on TV

I was watching news 12 NJ and there was Mr Diaz protesting his unfair treatment. None of the Board members would talk to the reporters. This is getting good I'll bet the Feds are watching to. It's about time. GOOD FOR YOU NORBERTO you got them running now. And Mooney changed his mind because he did not like your attitude. Is Kearny in America? you shouldn't be pissed when your getting screwed! WHAT A JOKE. Pictures at eleven. tune in. :angry:

Guest guest_Guest
What has Diaz done that warrants him gaining tenure for the rest of his life ? If your answer is that he's "gotten Washington School back on track", that's why he receives a paycheck, that doesn't ensure him the salary of a principal for as long as he lives. There's a huge misconception about what entitles a person to tenure. Ask yourself (OBJECTIVELY) What has Diaz done to warrant tenure ? If you feel that he deserves it, your making this decision to be along racial and/or politically correct lines, or your tremendously misinformed (or buffaloed by him and those intimidated by him)

Truth be told, Diaz has done NOTHING TO WARRANT TENURE !!!!!!

The taxpayers scream for fiscal responsibility, yet the same people now scream that a Principal, whom has done nothing extroadinary (other than the job he was compensated to do) should recieve the salary of a principal for the rest of his career, regardless of the position he performs from this point on (Principal, Vice-Principal, Music Teacher, Gym Teacher, Math Teacher, Janitior etc...)

Get real, Diaz was/is a time bomb waiting to explode !!

Would you want him educating your child(ren) ?

I think not, I know I don't and I too live in this School District...

I'm so glad to hear there are other parents that do not want Diaz in Washington School for it has gone down hill since he has be there as VP and Principle.

What has Diaz done that warrants him gaining tenure for the rest of his life ? If your answer is that he's "gotten Washington School back on track", that's why he receives a paycheck, that doesn't ensure him the salary of a principal for as long as he lives. There's a huge misconception about what entitles a person to tenure. Ask yourself (OBJECTIVELY) What has Diaz done to warrant tenure ? If you feel that he deserves it, your making this decision to be along racial and/or politically correct lines, or your tremendously misinformed (or buffaloed by him and those intimidated by him)

The taxpayers scream for fiscal responsibility, yet the same people now scream that a Principal, whom has done nothing extroadinary (other than the job he was compensated to do) should recieve the salary of a principal for the rest of his career, regardless of the position he performs from this point on (Principal, Vice-Principal, Music Teacher, Gym Teacher, Math Teacher, Janitior etc...)

I'm so glad to hear there are other parents that do not want Diaz in Washington School for it has gone down hill since he has be there as VP and Principle.

Not a lot of credibility when you can't spell principal.

Guest stinky
The corruption goes far deeper than one board member.  Former school board member Dyl got up and asked that the Board pass a resolution to refer the accusations that a member solicited a bribe from Principal Diaz to the Hudson County Prosecutor's office.  In the process, school board member Stevenson stated that the accusation against him was false.  Who said he was the guy?  Diaz had not mentioned any names so how did Stevenson know he was the guy Diaz fingered? 

That was interesting but what happened next confirms in my mind that there is widespread corruption in the Kearny School Board which the federal prosecutors (not the do nothing Hudson County prosecutor's office and the do nothing Attorney General, I have my own corruption problems, Peter Harvey) need to investigate.

Mooney who originally recommended Principal Diaz for reappointment back pedals (poorly I must say) and states that although he recommened Principal Diaz last time that now after 2 months since the non appointment (and the corruption allegations) that he is withdrawing his recommendation, not based on test scores, or performance criteria, or specific incidents, or abuse, or any other educational criteria but because of the way Mr. Diaz acted in the past 2 months since he was terminated as Principal and his wife fired as a school psychiatrist.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  Principal Diaz has acted as well as anyone could under the circumstances and Mooney showed his cards-- he is in on the deal.  He is guilty as well.

Attorney Lindensfeser then asked School Board member Campbell to withdraw his motion (from last meeting) to reappointment Principal Diaz based on "the law" that says you could not appoint the Principal unless Mooney recommends him.  Mr. Campbell refused and all the members of the board voted No (to reappointment) except Campbell who voted Yes.

The corruption, bribes, and favors go very deep and the feds not the Hudson County Prosecutor's office needs to get involved. 

The parents will not give up on improved test scores, improved moral, and a school that is coming back.

Why did Mooney reverse his recommendation of Diaz? And now the two board members that voted for Diaz the last time now voted against his reappointment. What go's on here. This whole issue needs to be investigated. What are they trying to hide? :angry:

Guest Guest
I was watching news 12 NJ and there was Mr Diaz protesting his unfair treatment. None of the Board members would talk to the reporters. This is getting good I'll bet the Feds are watching to. It's about time. GOOD FOR YOU NORBERTO you got them running now. And Mooney changed his mind because he did not like your attitude. Is Kearny in America? you shouldn't be pissed when your getting screwed! WHAT A JOKE. Pictures at eleven. tune in. :angry:

The joke is your lack of comprehension.

Mooney stated that his initial recommendation was a "marginal" one, meaning that Diaz still had major improvements to make and Mooney thought he was working hard enough and could eventually correct his short comings. However, the circumstances of the last month had changed his mind in that Diaz basically did not handle himself well in a pressure packed situation. First by taking his accusations to the media and not the authorities and by not being in the school since the day of the original vote. Those kids did show their support for him and he did not show his dedication to them.

Question I have is did John Campbell expose himself to possible sanctions or removal from the board by voting for an appointment against the recommendation of the Superintendent (the entire motion was a violation of state law)? John was also quick to remind everybody that he was not responsible for this situation (not that I blame him). Is he really pro-Diaz or is he just trying to be the Mangin of the BOE?

Guest Guest
On 6/21/04 will be the next boe meeting at 7:30 to support Mr. Diaz and getting his job back as well as the other 2 teachers. Mr. Diaz has been accused of things he didn't do and has been extorted and all the ppl can do is sit back and allow this to happen to a man who has done nothing but put washington school back on track and kept the kids in line. I can tell you in the month he has been gone fights have broken out, kids have had black eyes and broken arms and the vice principal has done nothing about it. How safe is our school now Ms. Torres? The boe has their own problems trying to clean house with their own and you would have thought they would have tried their own damage control with the allagations that came out about them but instead they suspended Mr. Diaz with pay pending a phsyco evaluation? What's up with that. Mr. Diaz is more sane right now then the boe. I think it's ashame that this man name has been dragged through the mud just because the boe has a ax to grind with him. Mr. Diaz has always been there for the kids and the parents of washington school and now with him being suspended he can't even give the kids their diplomas. The boe does not care about the kids or the parents of any school they care about the power they hold and how they are going to use it. Who is next on the boe's hit list? They enlist Mr. Mooney to suspend Mr. Diaz so that when the time comes on Monday Mr. Mooney don't have to recommed him? That means that Mr. Mooney will take the heat for the boe's dirty dealings. Mr. Mooney doesn't realize that he in now going to become the bad guy in all of this. This board needs to be stopped and their power needs to be taken away from them and the boe needs to do some damage control. The boe won't even acknowlege what mr diaz did so wrong to fire him to begin with because they don't have to give a explanation for their actions. I think it's time that the boe becomes accountable for their actions and they need to answer to us parents. Please come out Monday night and show your support and tell the boe we are not going to take it anymore. Mr. Diaz truly is the people's principal!

They enlist Mr. Mooney to suspend Mr. Diaz so that when the time comes on Monday Mr. Mooney don't have to recommed him? That means that Mr. Mooney will take the heat for the boe's dirty dealings. Mr. Mooney doesn't realize that he in now going to become the bad guy in all of this.

this was posted on June 15. how could this poster possibly have known that mooney wasn't going to recommend diaz? was diaz suspended? one thing's for sure - mooney is definately going to be the bad guy, just like this poster said. now the anti-diaz and pro-diaz people hate him! frankie d. couldn't havew hoped for a better ending! the only way frankie can lose is diaz actually has proof that davey is dirty. stay tuned.

Guest Guest

At least Mr. Diaz knows how to spell Principal.

Guest marginal
Na na na na

Na na na na

Hey hey hey

Goodbye

Keep laughin, maybe you or someone you know is next. :D

Are you a board member? Should I be afraid :D

Guest Parent
Any factual accounts on what happened?

A delay tactic awards ceremony for Sports was held (1.5 hrs).

The meeting was moved because of the size of the crowd in support of Principal Diaz to the lunch room (no airconditioning. Nobody thought that there would be such a large crowd so they forgot to turn on the air conditioning even though the facilities head waspresent to give a report about the field and he did not turn the air on)

Regular business part of the meeting is conducted (1 hr).

Public Portions starts,

Parents, Teachers make the point that Prinicipal Diaz is doing a good job. Test scores are up. Moral is up. Diaz has an open door policy for teachers, staff and parents. An hispanic woman speaks in Spanish and has a translator translate for her (what courage that took) in support of Diaz. Nobody mentions the corruption allegation.

A former Board member gets up and says that he wants the Prosecutor's office involved to clear his name. Board member Stevenson says that he is not guilty of soliciting a bribe.

Up to that point, nobody said anything about a bribe so I guess if you have a guilty conscious you have to get it off you chest. Strange.

Mooney then makes a prepared presentation from notes and says that although he recommended Diaz last time based on what has occured since Diaz was not reappointed that he is withdrawing his recommendation.

The Attorney then says the Board cannot vote on the Motion to reappoint and asks Campbell to withdraw his motion. Campbell notes first that he was not involved in the corruption allegation and there will be no need to "clear his name" per the request of the former board member and then refuses to withdraw his motion.

A vote is taken on the motion and all but Campbell vote No.

Diaz is not allowed to present anything in his defense. The crowd engages in some loud comments with the Board, the Kearny finest step in, the comments die down and the crowd goes home disgusted. Children asking is Mr. Diaz coming back. It is now 10 p.m.

Opinion: Mooney should have never withdrawn his support of Diaz. I think it showed that he is in on the alleged corruption. His reasons were week and not based on facts. If you are going to can the guy, you better have documented incidents of conduct which effected the educational process. The irony is that Mooney accuses Diaz of playing politics when Mooney is the one paying politics. Is Costello and Zimmerman going to be Principal and Vice Principal. Is that politics? The feds better get into Kearny and clean this stuff up and goes very deep. Councilwoman Doyle will now have a judge and a vice prinicipal in the family. Thank you Mayor Santos.

Guest randi

"get the feds into Kearny"? "thank you Mayor Santos"? Mooney is "in on the alleged corruption"? You have an overactive imagination. Perhaps you should try writing fiction, maybe even science fiction.

Archived