Students March For Principal

Guest Student

Guest Student

Students from Washington School marched from the school through town to the Board of Education meeting this evening. The students were protesting the dismissal of principal Diaz.

i'm surprised kids from Washington School actually have some kind of message :lol:

that's cool though, i'm sure Diaz isn't at fault for the low test scores. it's COULD be the faculty, though i can't be sure, or just the fact that students are growing lazier and lazier every year. i never liked that guy, but he lost his job for something that i doubt he caused.

Guest watcher

I was at the meeting, I did not think it was a good turn out at all for how large Washington School is. I counted 23 parents maybe 30 kids but they were very young, very few upper grade children. And only about 8 teachers and or staff.

The staff at Washington must be 40 plus where were they? The student population must be at least 600 plus where were they? The small group is a loud group but somethings not right! The support is not really there. The group did hand the board a petition but they did not say how many signatures were on the list. The outcome Mr. Campbell asked to vote again and Mr. Correnti seconded it and so here we go again. This time the mud is going to fly. It will be interesting to see what stories start to come out on both sides. Stay tuned to The Wonderful World of Kearny.

I was there too and counted eighteen teachers from Washington School (there were teachers from other schools there too but I'm not counting them) and one clerk. If you say there are about 40 teachers, then I think you can figure out yourself Diaz has the support of a good percent of them. That is a lot of support - because they have a young staff and more nontenured teachers than tenured. They can't come out and say anything about Diaz. Look what happened to his wife and her mentor . They got the ax so you can't blame people for being scared of losing their jobs. Plus you have people who have relatives working in nontenured jobs who are too afraid to be there too.

As for the parents - there were about 35. That is pretty good support. Hey, that represents about 10% or more of the parents in the school if you say there are 600 kids each kid does not have his own set of parents - some of the people have 3 kids. But I think their message was clear -- the parents seem to think Diaz was doing a good job. Maybe the Board should go down to Washington School and bring in their own parents and teachers who say that Diaz was a bad principal for the next meeting - lets see how many they will get to stand up and speak against Diaz.

Forget about Diaz for a minute. I don't think the board members were holding up very well -- whats with the grimaces and the faces some of them were making when the parents were talking, and the slouching, and the dark glasses, and the guy on the end who was writing all the time and not even looking at the people talking. You were there --- Whats with these elected board members? If it wasn't for Dr. Mooney and the lawyer Lindenfelter, they didn't look too good as representatives of the school system.

I am just wondering why you have to pick on kids when you say you are surprised that the kids from Washington School have some kind of message. One kid that graduated from Washington School 4 years ago is graduating Kearny High and he is going to HARVARD - they had another one go to Princeton some years back - so don't put the kids from Washington School down. Or the teachers, who one of you is saying may be responsible for low test scores. You know why the scores are low - Over half the kids down there are speaking another language at home, they don't even speak English til they come to school,a lot of them are from other countries, a lot of them are in poverty, or are coming in from schools in Newark -- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, does it?

I am just wondering why you have to pick on kids when you say you are surprised that the kids from Washington School have some kind of message. One kid that graduated from Washington School 4 years ago is graduating Kearny High and he is going to HARVARD - they had another one go to Princeton some years back - so don't put the kids from Washington School down. Or the teachers, who one of you is saying may be responsible for low test scores. You know why the scores are low - Over half the kids down there are speaking another language at home, they don't even speak English til they come to school,a lot of them are from other countries, a lot of them are in poverty, or are coming in from schools in Newark -- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, does it?

i WENT to Washington School. i knew Jon Chow, who is going to Harvard, and from the moment you met him you knew he was destined for great things. he's 1 kid. of that graduating class, i'd say about 1/4 of them dropped out (or in some girl's cases, got pregnant and took time off), and 1/4 are completely slacking in school. 50% isn't all that efficient if you ask me, but that's not a point i'm trying to prove. it doesn't really matter what school a student attends as long as they have the drive to succeed in life. it just so happens that i see so many kids coming from Washington that don't care about anything aside from their cell phones and their 50 Cent records. but for every 10 of them, there's 1 student who wants to go somewhere in life. i don't overlook that.

only reason i mentioned teachers/students is to point out that there are other possibilities as to low test scores, and in a sense those reasons are just as far-fetched as Mr. Diaz being at fault. sorry you interpreted that i was bashing anyone, far from it.

Guest oasis_Guest

Hey is the Diaz issue dead already?? How about the newscast??? I guess you are all right; the mud is gonna fly, and it isn't hitting Diaz this time. Too bad the BOE was so bent on getting him out. He kept his mouth shut for a long time, and many people know how certain members of the Board operate when it comes to handing out jobs. I am glad that this is being exposed, because now the town can understand why there has been a plot with the three firings. It made no sense to let the three go at once. These BOE people are not too bright though. They opened up a can of worms this time. It is good to see someone else squirm besides Diaz and his wife.

Guest dick tracy

According to Diaz on news 12 N.J. interview he said a BOE member asked for payment from him (extortion) who was he reffering to?

Guest Student

Here is the link to the article and video of News 12. Mayor Santos stood by with his friend Mary Torres and allowed a Board of Education member to solicit a bribe from the Principal. What other bribes were taken and how were they distributed. I have always wondered how the Mayor survives on his Mayor's salary. Is this how?

http://www.news12.com/NJ/topstories/article?id=107873#

Guest Guest
Here is the link to the article and video of News 12. Mayor Santos stood by with his friend Mary Torres and allowed a Board of Education member to solicit a bribe from the Principal. What other bribes were taken and how were they distributed. I have always wondered how the Mayor survives on his Mayor's salary. Is this how?

http://www.news12.com/NJ/topstories/article?id=107873#

Oh -Boy--here it comes

According to Diaz on news 12 N.J. interview he said a BOE member asked for payment from him (extortion) who was he reffering to?

The person he is reffering to will be named in the kearny journal. Please make sure you read it because afterwards the games will begin

Guest washington school parent

Maybe the reason there was only a few parents and teachers at the board of ed. meeting is because most of them are glad he is gone or had other things to do. I had heard that he got the position as principal because he threatened the boe with a lawsuit because they wouldn't give him the position because he was spanish and they were prejudice. Another question for you why did that music teacher from the high school resigned after 2 week and the school had a hard time finding a vice principal? See I personally believe he is prejudice against white children, for when 2 children get in a fight the white child gets punished and the spanish child doesn't get anything and this is a know fact, the reason no one goes to the boe is because they are afraid of retaliation against their child. See there is always two sides to the story and not everybody would be glad to see Mr. Diaz back.

Guest Guest
Maybe the reason there was only a few parents and teachers at the board of ed. meeting is because most of them are glad he is gone or had other things to do. I had heard that he got the position as principal because he threatened the boe with a lawsuit because they wouldn't give him the position because he was spanish and they were prejudice. Another question for you why did that music teacher from the high school resigned after 2 week and the school had a hard time finding a vice principal? See I personally believe he is prejudice against white children, for when 2 children get in a fight the white child gets punished and the spanish child doesn't get anything and this is a know fact, the reason no one goes to the boe is because they are afraid of retaliation against their child. See there is always two sides to the story and not everybody would be glad to see Mr. Diaz back.

This post should pretty much sum up the parents poor attitude at Washington School. Always looking for someone else to blame. Any Principal there will have an up hill battle and will receive zero support from the BOE.

As for the Vice Principal who left after two weeks. I think he realized that he was going to have to work to earn his salary.

you are the most uninformed parent i have come accross so far....Mr. Diaz is a very fair principal he is the people's principal and i can tell you i have 3 kids in washington school and they are white. If Mr. Diaz got his principals position by threatening the boe then why is he exposing them for what they are. He is not in school because he would have had to pay the extortion money to the member of the boe but he has so much integrity how could he possibly look the students and parents in their face knowing he paid for his position in washington school. You are entitled to you opinion but you are misinformed and maybe you are part of the boe's efforts in getting him out. We had a nice turn out at the boe meeting it was standing room only. Maybe if you took the time out of your "busy" life to get involved in the school's matters then maybe you would be more educated then you think you are now.

Guest washington school parent
Maybe the reason there was only a few parents and teachers at the board  of ed. meeting is because most of them are glad he is gone or had other things to do.  I had heard that he got the position as principal because he threatened the boe with a lawsuit because they wouldn't give him the position because he was spanish and they were prejudice. Another question for you why did that music teacher from the high school resigned after 2 week and the school had a hard time finding a vice principal?  See I personally believe he is prejudice against white children, for when 2 children get in a fight the white child gets punished and the spanish child doesn't get anything and this is a know fact, the reason no one goes to the boe is because they are afraid of retaliation against their child. See there is always two sides to the story and not everybody would be glad to see Mr. Diaz back.

you are the most uninformed parent i have come accross so far....Mr. Diaz is a very fair principal he is the people's principal and i can tell you i have 3 kids in washington school and they are white. If Mr. Diaz got his principals position by threatening the boe then why is he exposing them for what they are. He is not in school because he would have had to pay the extortion money to the member of the boe but he has so much integrity how could he possibly look the students and parents in their face knowing he paid for his position in washington school. You are entitled to you opinion but you are misinformed and maybe you are part of the boe's efforts in getting him out. We had a nice turn out at the boe meeting it was standing room only. Maybe if you took the time out of your "busy" life to get involved in the school's matters then maybe you would be more educated then you think you are now.

[it's only ignorance when you insult someones education on any matter when you don't even know that person. I am very opened minded and I am entitled to my opinion, maybe you don't know everything either, try being alittle open minded. I know first handed that he is not fair with everyone. If a boe member wanted to extort money from Diaz than I hope he can prove it, for we don't want them on the boe and they deserve to be fired. As far as the low scores goes the school is a very transit one and it's not Diaz's fault. So see I do know what I'm talking about, stop making him out to be a saint................................which he's not.

Guest Guest
Maybe the reason there was only a few parents and teachers at the board  of ed. meeting is because most of them are glad he is gone or had other things to do.  I had heard that he got the position as principal because he threatened the boe with a lawsuit because they wouldn't give him the position because he was spanish and they were prejudice. Another question for you why did that music teacher from the high school resigned after 2 week and the school had a hard time finding a vice principal?  See I personally believe he is prejudice against white children, for when 2 children get in a fight the white child gets punished and the spanish child doesn't get anything and this is a know fact, the reason no one goes to the boe is because they are afraid of retaliation against their child. See there is always two sides to the story and not everybody would be glad to see Mr. Diaz back.

[it's only ignorance when you insult someones education on any matter when you don't even know that person. I am very opened minded and I am entitled to my opinion, maybe you don't know everything either, try being alittle open minded. I know first handed that he is not fair with everyone. If a boe member wanted to extort money from Diaz than I hope he can prove it, for we don't want them on the boe and they deserve to be fired. As far as the low scores goes the school is a very transit one and it's not Diaz's fault. So see I do know what I'm talking about, stop making him out to be a saint................................which he's not.

If you're kid could stay out of trouble you wouldn't even have to deal with Mr. Diaz.

Take responsibilty for your kids. Stop expecting everyone to excuse the little monster you've unleashed on us.

If you feel i am ignorant that is your opinion, and i didn't insult your education. I said you were uniformed about the issue. The article in the observer was wrong and was planted in there to make Mr. Diaz look bad. If you read the following weeks observer you would have saw under the opinion section that Mr. Mooney clarified the mistake in the paper. If you even bothered to read the kearny journal you would have read the correct information. You need to understand that this town has a tangled web of deception and only a good newspaper will report the truth. If you noticed that there was a breaking new story about Diaz hiring a lawyer please turn to page 5. If you go to page 5 you would see that the article was pulled. I can honestly say that the article was pulled by a board member and they know who they are. The papers are going to report what is fed to them and i know enough information where i can say that i am informed in my opinion. If there is a board member that is trying to extort money from Mr. Diaz then you really need to ask yourself how many principals and vice principals in this school system paid for their jobs. There is a little food for thought.

Guest Guest

I have to agree with Judy. Sorry, no one should be saying that Diaz favors the Spanish kids because it is NOT TRUE. My three kids are white and I do not agree with you. He is a fair principal. I don't think there are too many who would agree that he favors the Spanish ones (actually it would be the Hispanic ones, but he doesn't do that either.) Maybe the parent who wrote that just has a kid who is trouble.

As far as Diaz being a saint, I don't think anyone thinks that either. This is not about being a saint. It is about three people losing their jobs all at once who are all connected to each other. It's about them having good evaluations, and about the Superintendent recommending ALL THREE and having the board members say no.

But I am glad you are finally speaking up against Diaz. I was beginning to think he WAS a saint.

Guest Guest

Theres probly more than principals and vice principals. There are alot of jobs that have to do with schools, like janitors, teachers, and scretaries.

Guest Guest

everyone seems to be missing one point in this story. Mooney recommended him but its the mayor who calls the shots with the BOE. the mayor's involvement in this is just another piece that keeps getting hidden from the public. just like the observer article.

Guest That's crazy
everyone seems to be missing one point in this story. Mooney recommended him but its the mayor who calls the shots with the BOE. the mayor's involvement in this is just another piece that keeps getting hidden from the public. just like the observer article.

Please explain how the the Mayor is involved in this? He has his hands full running the town without getting involved with the B.O.E. Jeezz! give this guy a break.

everyone seems to be  missing one point in this story. Mooney recommended him but its the mayor who calls the shots with the BOE. the mayor's involvement in this is just another piece that keeps getting hidden from the public. just like the observer article.

Please explain how the the Mayor is involved in this? He has his hands full running the town without getting involved with the B.O.E. Jeezz! give this guy a break.

It was reported that Mr. Diaz had a closed door meeting with the mayor the night before he was fired, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the president of the board of ed is also the mayors secretary. Draw your own conclusions

Guest randi

First of all, Mr. Diaz was not fired. Second, he did not meet with the Mayor "the night before he was fired". I believe it was several days before. Third, Mr. Diaz went to see the Mayor uninvited. If you're going to draw conclusions, at least use accurate facts to get there.

Guest Guest
First of all, Mr. Diaz was not fired. Second, he did not meet with the Mayor "the night before he was fired". I believe it was several days before. Third, Mr. Diaz went to see the Mayor uninvited. If you're going to draw conclusions, at least use accurate facts to get there.

He was removed from his current position, in effect he was fired.

Several days, one day, what's the difference. Was there a meeting and what was discussed is what matters.

You obviously have a reason to defend the district and the BOE. Maybe you're employed by it or have a spouse or child employed by it and that's fine. I'm sure you wouldn't want to end up like the three people we've been discussing. But let's not pretend that there aren't all kinds of ties between the town council, BOE, and many employees of both.

Also, let's not pretend that what was done to those three people was for the benefit of the children and the district.

I wonder what your post will be if the facts come out in Diaz's favor?

Maybe you should read this weeks observer

Archived