Board Meeting

Guest info please

Guest Guest
I hope everyone reads the letter from the Washington School parents in this weeks observer. It's nice to see an apparently heartfelt plea from the parents. Unfortunately, it will fall on deaf ears. I don't think any of the BOE members live in the Washington School district. So it will all come down to personal and political motivations.

There's also a letter from the superintendent basically saying it's not his fault. This one is good for comic relief.

For all we know the letter from the "Concerned Parents" is all of one person. Without names associated how do we know? Same goes for the one the prior week from the "Teachers". All of two got up and spoke in defense of Mr. Diaz. Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the "entire staff".

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Well, that's your opinion and I respect that. And I have to call it an opinion because I have no doubt you have nothing to back it up with.  However, even though work can be repetitive, it still has to be done, right?  Oh, and as for the "two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does" , that may be true for some offices in the school system but not for all.  The majority of the offices are busy all year, and again, I question your expertise on the subject.

Just wondering, how does that stack up with the number of  staff handling repetitive work at the Town Hall?

My expertise may be one sided but it comes from over twenty years in business and manufacturing experience in real world companies. I do not have direct experience working in politically and personally motivated, bureaucratic boards of education or town councils. However, even though I've never sought election to a board of eduction in order to have a family member hired, push amy personal agenda, or seek vengence on an administrator or teacher, I think I know waste when I see it.

The bottom line is that I have at least as much experience as any of the board members all of whom have failed miserably at handling the most important issues, some of which to me are; educating children, getting reasonable budgets passed, and negotiating fair contracts with all of the employees in a timely manner.

If all of the support personnel are necessary and they are and handling all of the behind the scenes work, why is it that appearances at schools and community activities by the superintendent, asst. superintendent, and board members are so rare? What are they doing?

One thing I'll readily admit, I probably shouldn't single out the central office. I'm sure there is plenty of excess througout the district, such as the high school.

Could you please enlighten us on this "excess" at the High School?

Please provide the specifics.

Also, once your "theory" is debunked, like the central office one, which school will you then pick out?

Guest Guest
I hope everyone reads the letter from the Washington School parents in this weeks observer.  It's nice to see an apparently heartfelt plea from the parents. Unfortunately, it will fall on deaf ears.  I don't think any of the BOE members live in the Washington School district.  So it will all come down to personal and political motivations. 

There's also a letter from the superintendent basically saying it's not his fault.  This one is good for comic relief.

For all we know the letter from the "Concerned Parents" is all of one person. Without names associated how do we know? Same goes for the one the prior week from the "Teachers". All of two got up and spoke in defense of Mr. Diaz. Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the "entire staff".

That's true. Time will tell.

Guest Guest
Well, that's your opinion and I respect that. And I have to call it an opinion because I have no doubt you have nothing to back it up with.  However, even though work can be repetitive, it still has to be done, right?   Oh, and as for the "two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does" , that may be true for some offices in the school system but not for all.  The majority of the offices are busy all year, and again, I question your expertise on the subject.

Just wondering, how does that stack up with the number of  staff handling repetitive work at the Town Hall?

My expertise may be one sided but it comes from over twenty years in business and manufacturing experience in real world companies. I do not have direct experience working in politically and personally motivated, bureaucratic boards of education or town councils. However, even though I've never sought election to a board of eduction in order to have a family member hired, push amy personal agenda, or seek vengence on an administrator or teacher, I think I know waste when I see it.

The bottom line is that I have at least as much experience as any of the board members all of whom have failed miserably at handling the most important issues, some of which to me are; educating children, getting reasonable budgets passed, and negotiating fair contracts with all of the employees in a timely manner.

If all of the support personnel are necessary and they are and handling all of the behind the scenes work, why is it that appearances at schools and community activities by the superintendent, asst. superintendent, and board members are so rare? What are they doing?

One thing I'll readily admit, I probably shouldn't single out the central office. I'm sure there is plenty of excess througout the district, such as the high school.

Also, once your "theory" is debunked, like the central office one, which school will you then pick out?

I'd say it's safe to assume that the folks replying to my posts and de-bunking my theory have a vested interest one way or another in the current operation of this district. Nothing I say will change their minds.

So if you want to talk specifics, let us know what position you or a family member of yours holds in the district and then prove that this district is not overloaded with administration and support staff.

Guest Guest
Well, that's your opinion and I respect that. And I have to call it an opinion because I have no doubt you have nothing to back it up with.  However, even though work can be repetitive, it still has to be done, right?   Oh, and as for the "two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does" , that may be true for some offices in the school system but not for all.  The majority of the offices are busy all year, and again, I question your expertise on the subject.

I'd say it's safe to assume that the folks replying to my posts and de-bunking my theory have a vested interest one way or another in the current operation of this district. Nothing I say will change their minds.

So if you want to talk specifics, let us know what position you or a family member of yours holds in the district and then prove that this district is not overloaded with administration and support staff.

I have two children that are students. That is my relationship to this district. You are asking me to prove a negative. If you know of "excess" lets hear it. I looked at the Report Card and Kearny is at the lower end of the county for admin costs. That means that either a) The BOE has done a good job of keeping those costs in line or :ph34r: The schools are too over crowded and the cost per student is skewed by that. Which do you believe is true?

I too thought that maybe the admin positions in town were excessive until I saw the report card. That satisfied me. So, I don't need to talk about specifics anymore. But, if you want your opinion validated don't just speak in generalities, be specific so that your theories can be proven or debunked. What positions should be eliminated?

Guest Guest

I have two children that are students. That is my relationship to this district. You are asking me to prove a negative. If you know of "excess" lets hear it. I looked at the Report Card and Kearny is at the lower end of the county for admin costs. That means that either a) The BOE has done a good job of keeping those costs in line or :ph34r: The schools are too over crowded and the cost per student is skewed by that. Which do you believe is true?

I too thought that maybe the admin positions in town were excessive until I saw the report card. That satisfied me. So, I don't need to talk about specifics anymore. But, if you want your opinion validated don't just speak in generalities, be specific so that your theories can be proven or debunked. What positions should be eliminated?

First of all why can't you prove a negative? Second, I put about as much weight on the School Report Card as I do in GEPA Tests and High School Leaving Exams, very little.

I don't need to point to specifics to prove anything. History shows that government agencies, town councils, and school districts run on bloated budgets. The town council probably spent an hour or two with the school budget and cut over $600,000.

This forum is for leisurely discussion we won't solve anything here. I don't have the time to review all of the information and I feel you're being naive to think that the BOE spends the hundreds of hours needed to review and produce a proper school budget and an efficient staffing of the district. In a way I can't blame them because they are not paid to do the job.

If you feel that $60M is a fair figure to run this district thats fine. I find it hard to believe.

Anyway this thread is suppose to be about the situation at Washington School. There's a specific example of waste.

1. Hire a person that has been in the district for almost 20 years and you are fully aware of his track record to be principal.

2. Allow him to do the job for two years. It seems he's handled it well, in the most difficult school in the district.

3. Refuse him tenure as principal.

4. Assign him somewhere else in the district but not as a principal.

5. No matter what position he's assigned to he keeps his principals salary.

Is that an effective use of budget and staff?

Guest Guest

First of all why can't you prove a negative?

I didn't say I can't prove a negative, I said you are asking me to. Why would I want to? You are the one making general accusations. Bring forth the specifics and I or someone else could ask the BOE at the next meeting, because my guess is that you will not.

Second, I put about as much weight on the School Report Card as I do in GEPA Tests and High School Leaving Exams, very little.

Your perogative, but it is the only barometer that I am aware of where we can compare how we are doing.

I don't need to point to specifics to prove anything. History shows that government agencies, town councils, and school districts run on bloated budgets. The town council probably spent an hour or two with the school budget and cut over $600,000.

I would hope they used a little more time than that on an issue this important, but I could not say.

This forum is for leisurely discussion we won't solve anything here. I don't have the time to review all of the information and I feel you're being naive to think that the BOE spends the hundreds of hours needed to review and produce a proper school budget and an efficient staffing of the district. In a way I can't blame them because they are not paid to do the job.

I would wager that you are wrong. I believe that the BOE finance committee did put in "hundreds" of man/woman hours, but again I can't say for sure the amount of time spent.

If you feel that $60M is a fair figure to run this district thats fine. I find it hard to believe.

Again, I would point you to the Report Card, our only published resource. It shows that this town is running in the middle ground in costs per student.

Anyway this thread is suppose to be about the situation at Washington School. There's a specific example of waste.

1. Hire a person that has been in the district for almost 20 years and you are fully aware of his track record to be principal.

2. Allow him to do the job for two years. It seems he's handled it well, in the most difficult school in the district.

Effective, no. But was it the right thing to do for that school at this time? I believe so. If you have heard any of the things that I have heard and if true, it is a wonder he still has a job at all. That is the part that is ineffective in this whole scenario. The three police officers at that meeting were there for a good reason.

Also, another example of the ineffectiveness: the two psychologists who were also denied tenure supposedly did not have all of the qualifications for the position in the first place. How were they hired? Is this a direct example of bloat? No, because maybe they came cheaper than a fully qualified applicant, but what will happen now will most definately effect the bottom line. One of the reasons this came to light is the parents of a student got involved and basically forced the BOE to act. Attending BOE meetings and voicing your concern can work.

Guest randi

I do know a little about how the BOE budget is constructed, and yes, it does take an extraordinary amount of time by everyone involved. That includes every administrator (principals, directors, etc.), supt and asst supt, business administrator, and BOE. There are many meetings of the Finance Committee and hours of discussion about staffing, building needs, etc. It is not something that is taken lightly, and every year everyone hopes this will be the year the budget passes. Unfortunately, it is voted down most years, usually by people who have no inkling of what's in it, only that it will effect their taxes. Understandable, but sad.

So please, stop making blanket statements about subjects that you are obviously uninformed about. An opinion is your feelings on a subject, not always something that is based in fact.

Guest Guest

Effective, no. But was it the right thing to do for that school at this time? I believe so. If you have heard any of the things that I have heard and if true, it is a wonder he still has a job at all. That is the part that is ineffective in this whole scenario. The three police officers at that meeting were there for a good reason.

Also, another example of the ineffectiveness: the two psychologists who were also denied tenure supposedly did not have all of the qualifications for the position in the first place. How were they hired? Is this a direct example of bloat? No, because maybe they came cheaper than a fully qualified applicant, but what will happen now will most definately effect the bottom line. One of the reasons this came to light is the parents of a student got involved and basically forced the BOE to act. Attending BOE meetings and voicing your concern can work.

Do you feel that the BOE acted fairly and responsibly. The three employees were not allowed to address the issues. Why? Because it was personal. Mary Torres said in the Observer, basically, that she didn't know enough about the situation to make a decision. But that didn't stop her for voting to deny tenure.

They don't sound like the type of people who really put the time in that is necessary to make good choices.

Anyway, has anyone heard if there is a meeting being held at Washigton School concerning the situation there?

Guest Guest
I do know a little about how the BOE budget is constructed, and yes, it does take an extraordinary amount of time by everyone involved. That includes every administrator (principals, directors, etc.), supt and asst supt, business administrator, and BOE. There are many meetings of the Finance Committee and hours of discussion about staffing, building needs, etc. It is not something that is taken lightly, and every year everyone hopes this will be the year the budget passes. Unfortunately, it is voted down most years, usually by people who have no inkling of what's in it, only that it will effect their taxes. Understandable, but sad.

So please, stop making blanket statements about subjects that you are obviously uninformed about. An opinion is your feelings on a subject, not always something that is based in fact.

Yeah, they're all out there with the tax paying citizens of Kearny as their top concern. Is that what I'm supposed to believe.

Part of the reason that people don't know what's in the budget is the Super, Asst. Super, and the BOE fail miserably at educationg the public about it. Partially because they can't justify it and also because they are practically invisible.

I'm looking forward to the 100M mark.

Guest randi

I'm basically done with this "conversation" because I can see it's going nowhere. But as far as educating the public regarding the budget, every budget meeting is open to the public, as well as the public hearing meeting - at which no one from the public attends. I know that the supt was on cable discussing the budget, what's in the budget and why, and there were several newspaper articles covering the budget. The information is there if you're really interested and want to make the effort, but like most, it's just easier to claim ignorance of the facts instead of doing some work on your own. Bye bye.

Guest Voter

As a voter who has never voted to pass the schools budget, I can categorically state that it has never had to do with the effect on the taxes.

What it has to do with is the BOE learning to live within it's means. If they would, just once, ask for an increase that is at, or less than, the national rate of inflation, I would gladly vote for the budget.

In a world where inflation rates and cost-of-living increases have been hovering steadily at 1.8-2.2% per year, any increase in spending greater than that by a government agency is unacceptable.

Guest disgusted

You show just what kind of Idiot you really are with a comment like that. If the State (or Gov.) provides "MANDATES" that must be met, without providing the funding for same, The Board of Education has no way of controling the amount of increase needed to provide said Service(s).

To state that you would never approve a budget whose percentages are greater than that of the rate of inflation, despite the fact that those serving on the Board of Education "HAVE A STATUTORY OBLIGATION TO MEET MUNICIPAL, COUNTY, STATE AND FEDERAL MANDATES" (As Sworn to in the Oath of Office) shows why there are very few people willing to run for, and serve on the Board of Education.

Guest Guest

One of the biggest if not the largest portion of the budget is salaries and benefits. It's time to freeze salaries and get rid of some unconscionable benefits like the sick day pay off to administrators. I would think there is going to be several leaving soon and you're talking in the hundreds of thousand dollars mark. Shame!

Guest Guest

The sick day payoff is not just for administrators. Teachers, custodians and anyone in the same union gets it too. Millions have been spent since this went into effect in the late 90's.

Guest Guest
The sick day payoff is not just for administrators. Teachers, custodians and anyone in the same union gets it too. Millions have been spent since this went into effect in the late 90's.

You have the high school principal to thank for that one.

Guest Guest

You have the high school principal to thank for that one.

What???????????????

Guest Guest

Torres acknowledged the decisions were difficult. "I know Alberto, and he has a lot of potential. He did well at that school. But tenure is lifelong. It's hard to put into words, but I was not prepared to approve tenure.

"The most difficult decision was with Marcia Marques because I just did not know enough about her," Torres continued

This person is in charge of a $60M budget.

Guest Guest
First of all why can't you prove a negative?

I didn't say I can't prove a negative, I said you are asking me to. Why would I want to? You are the one making general accusations. Bring forth the specifics and I or someone else could ask the BOE at the next meeting, because my guess is that you will not.

Second, I put about as much weight on the School Report Card as I do in GEPA Tests and High School Leaving Exams, very little.

Your perogative, but it is the only barometer that I am aware of where we can compare how we are doing.

I would hope they used a little more time than that on an issue this important, but I could not say.

I would wager that you are wrong. I believe that the BOE finance committee did put in "hundreds" of man/woman hours, but again I can't say for sure the amount of time spent.

Again, I would point you to the Report Card, our only published resource. It shows that this town is running in the middle ground in costs per student.

So you want specifics from me, but you can base your opinions on rumors about someone you've probably never met. Did you receive the Kearny Schools Newsletter. Barely a mention of Washington School. They try to pretend it doesn't exist when it is the school that should receive the most attention so it can be pulled up.

Just to get a feel from where you're coming from and try to understand why you would defend the BOE and crew, can you tell me what school you use?

Guest Guest
So you want specifics from me, but you can base your opinions on rumors about someone you've probably never met. Did you receive the Kearny Schools Newsletter. Barely a mention of Washington School. They try to pretend it doesn't exist when it is the school that should receive the most attention so it can be pulled up.

Just to get a feel from where you're coming from and try to understand why you would defend the BOE and crew, can you tell me what school you use?

No longer rumors. Confirmed from a number of sources.

I don't use any school.

See you at the meeting tonight?

Guest Guest

Didn't you say that you had two children in the district?

Did you go to the BOE meeting? Sounds like it was alot of fun. Maybe your right and the rumors will be confirmed, but it doesn't look like it's going to be in favor of the BOE.

It seems a funny thing happens when these people get elected. They quickly forget that they are there to represent the residents of Kearny and somehow believe they are there to get jobs for their spouses, children, and friends or take out their frustrations on the administrators and teachers.

Anyway, I wouldn't blindy believe they have our best interests at heart.

Did you check out the News 12 video? Mr. Mooney does a great Seargent Schultz impression.

Guest Guest
Didn't you say that you had two children in the district?

Did you go to the BOE meeting? Sounds like it was alot of fun. Maybe your right and the rumors will be confirmed, but it doesn't look like it's going to be in favor of the BOE.

It seems a funny thing happens when these people get elected. They quickly forget that they are there to represent the residents of Kearny and somehow believe they are there to get jobs for their spouses, children, and friends or take out their frustrations on the administrators and teachers.

Anyway, I wouldn't blindy believe they have our best interests at heart.

Did you check out the News 12 video? Mr. Mooney does a great Seargent Schultz impression.

I'm sorry, when you said "what school do you use?" I thought you were refering to me, not my children. Try to be a little clearer next time.

I was at the BOE meeting. Based on your post it is apparent you were not. Nobody got up to talk about the excess in the budget.

The meeting was "fun". Do you really think two BOE members will flip their votes and grant tenure? I doubt it, but it could happen. Will Diaz again allow the "discussion" to be conducted in open session? Will be interesting if he flips his position this time around.

Did a BOE member really ask for a payoff or is this just the desparate ploy by a desparate man? Did the member ask for it or was it just offered? This particular member has been know to "change" votes in the past. Who's next on his list to be accused of "corruption"?

Stay tuned to Days of Our BOE.

Guest CHEZ

How about the Principle of the High School,Not only are he and his wife in the school system his 2 kids will also be in there soon also.He pulls some of the BOE strings like they are puppets,why do you think he wants to be Superintendant of Kearny Schools.It is time to have the Media and possibly Govt.Officials looking into Kearny and what goes on here.

Archived