Board Meeting

Guest info please

Guest info please

Does anyone know what was going on at the Board Of Ed. meeting the other nite. I heard there were three police cars at the school during the meeting. Would anyone know if that is true?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

I was there, but since I'm not sure if anybody has already posted about this, do to the delay in posts actually appearing, I don't want to be repetitive.

Guest Remembering
The police were called in to investigate the sounds of our tax dollars being flushed down the toilet.

Your, "right on the money" about that. Yea they got rid of Bert the carcinogenic rat. Remember that one! Yea they were worried he would get upset. But hey look at the bright side Bert you still get principals pay. :unsure:

Guest Guest

Actually, Bert seemed to be doing a good job at the school most people feel is the most difficult to handle in the district.

Let's talk the truth about the "carcinogenic rat" Are you forgetting who were the two head rats in that? Diaz was a small one and the other two big ones are now teaming up to ruin him. Diaz did a good job at the school. Their test scores went up under him. He has nothing negative from the Superintendent - most parents and teachers like him from what i hear - afterall Moony recommended him. Doesn't anyone out there know that this is all about what happens outside of the school and who hates who (at least this week).

Guest Guest

KEARNY BOARD OF EDUCATION

SPECIAL MEETING

MAY 3, 2004

PERSONNEL ISSUES

A. REAPPOINTMENTS

I recommend the Board approve the reappointment of the following:

Mr. Norberto Diaz - Principal

Ms. Hillary Kirschenbaum - School Psychologist

Ms. Marcia Marques - School Psychologist

A 2004/05 Salary Sheet is attached.

Respectfully submitted,

Above is the last posted agenda of the KBOE. Supposedly a recommendation by the superintendent. The KBOE votes it down. Articles concerning this meeting in the Observer and the Kearny Journal are so confused and filled with misinformation they look like they're written by children. Comments in those articles by KBOE president and the superintendent also make little or no sense.

Does anyone care how their tax money is being spent or how their children are being educated? There seems to be more concern about the posting rules on this discussion board than any of the issues affecting this town.

Guest got me
Let's talk the truth about the "carcinogenic rat"    Are you forgetting who were the two head rats in that?  Diaz was a small one and the other two big ones are now teaming up to ruin him.  Diaz did a good job at the school.  Their test scores went up under him.  He has nothing negative from the Superintendent - most parents and teachers like him from what i hear - afterall  Moony recommended him.  Doesn't anyone out there know that this is all about what happens outside of the school and who hates who (at least this week).

Who are the two head rats?? :angry:

Guest Guest

Take your pick.

Also, how come the farewell to Dyl posted on the Kearny Schools Webpage didn't mention his greatest accomplishment; Licoln School nurse job for guess who? :angry:

I think he left the BOE because his brain was burning after trying to resolve the question of why palm scanning was OK for teachers but not for firefighters.

Guest Guest

I guess you're referring to this:

Donna Dyl - Nurse - 955-5096

I found this on the kearnyschools.com website. Are you suggesting some sort of impropriety has occurred?

Guest guest_Guest
I guess you're referring to this:

Donna Dyl - Nurse - 955-5096

I found this on the kearnyschools.com website. Are you suggesting some sort of impropriety has occurred?

NO WAY!!! Not in this town :angry::D:D:P:P

Guest answer this
Take your pick.

Also, how come the farewell to Dyl posted on the Kearny Schools Webpage didn't mention his greatest accomplishment; Licoln School nurse job for guess who? :lol:

I think he left the BOE because his brain was burning after trying to resolve the question of why palm scanning was OK for teachers but not for firefighters.

Is he the only one on the board with a family member on the pay roll ? Come on point out the real rats! Don't play spin. ;)

Guest Guest
Take your pick.

Also, how come the farewell to Dyl posted on the Kearny Schools Webpage didn't mention his greatest accomplishment; Licoln School nurse job for guess who? :lol:

Is he the only one on the board with a family member on the pay roll ? Come on point out the real rats! Don't play spin. ;)

No, he's not the only one, not even close. And I'm not suggesting any rules were broken either. However, situations like this are not good for running an effective BOE or Town Council for that matter.

This type of situation seems rampant in Kearny. I'd guess maybe 25% of BOE employees are connected to someone in one way or another. It's a gray area ethically, it make contract negotiations difficult, and it's not good for morale.

Some of his other "accomplishments"; no budgets have passed for at least six years, I can't remember the last contract negotiation that was completed on time, high school track and field, etc. The list is endless.

For fun, name a few of your favorite accomplishments, or take a look on the Kearny Schools webpage to see how many secretaries is takes to run the business office.

Guest randi

How many secretaries does it take to run the Business Office at the BOE? Correct answer: There is only 1 secretary in the Business Office. Now, in addition to the 1 secretary there is an Assistant to the BA, whose duties include, among others, overseeing the benefits and payroll, which is done in-house, 2 accounts payable bookkeepers and 1 coordinator of accounts payable & accounts receivable, 1 payroll bookkeeper, and 1 receptionist-clerk-typist. Does this seem excessive to you? With a $60 million plus budget and a payroll that covers more than 800 employees, I think it's reasonable.

Guest Guest
How many secretaries does it take to run the Business Office at the BOE? Correct answer: There is only 1 secretary in the Business Office. Now, in addition to the 1 secretary there is an Assistant to the BA, whose duties include, among others, overseeing the benefits and payroll, which is done in-house, 2 accounts payable bookkeepers and 1 coordinator of accounts payable & accounts receivable, 1 payroll bookkeeper, and 1 receptionist-clerk-typist. Does this seem excessive to you? With a $60 million plus budget and a payroll that covers more than 800 employees, I think it's reasonable.

There are companies that have billions of dollars in budgets and actually generate billions in income that don't have that many people percentage wise in their payroll and accounts receivable/payable departments.

So yes, I do think it's excessive, especially considering the repetitive nature of the jobs. I doubt that even NASA has that level of redundancy on the space shuttle systems.

There's always a better way of doing things but the KBOE will never look into it. They would rather just pad last years budget by an arbitrary percentage, have it voted down, and have the town council push it through.

Granted it would probably take several months every year to properly review a budget and cut the waste from what's actually necessary.

Guest Guest

And another thing, most companies don't have two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does.

Guest Answers please
How many secretaries does it take to run the Business Office at the BOE?  Correct answer:  There is only 1 secretary in the Business Office.  Now, in addition to the 1 secretary there is an Assistant to the BA, whose duties include, among others, overseeing the benefits and payroll, which is done in-house, 2 accounts payable bookkeepers and 1 coordinator of accounts payable & accounts receivable, 1 payroll bookkeeper, and 1 receptionist-clerk-typist.  Does this seem excessive to you?  With a $60 million plus budget and a payroll that covers more than 800 employees, I think it's reasonable.

And another thing, most companies don't have two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does.

Lets get back to the original issue, cut the spin! Who are the head rats? I don't care how many board workers it takes to type a letter. Come on talk it up. Or is this board bugged........ :lol:

Guest randi

Well, that's your opinion and I respect that. And I have to call it an opinion because I have no doubt you have nothing to back it up with. However, even though work can be repetitive, it still has to be done, right? Oh, and as for the "two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does" , that may be true for some offices in the school system but not for all. The majority of the offices are busy all year, and again, I question your expertise on the subject.

Just wondering, how does that stack up with the number of staff handling repetitive work at the Town Hall?

Guest Guest

I hope everyone reads the letter from the Washington School parents in this weeks observer. It's nice to see an apparently heartfelt plea from the parents. Unfortunately, it will fall on deaf ears. I don't think any of the BOE members live in the Washington School district. So it will all come down to personal and political motivations.

There's also a letter from the superintendent basically saying it's not his fault. This one is good for comic relief.

Guest Guest
Well, that's your opinion and I respect that. And I have to call it an opinion because I have no doubt you have nothing to back it up with. However, even though work can be repetitive, it still has to be done, right? Oh, and as for the "two plus months out of the year to gear up and prepare as a school district does" , that may be true for some offices in the school system but not for all. The majority of the offices are busy all year, and again, I question your expertise on the subject.

Just wondering, how does that stack up with the number of staff handling repetitive work at the Town Hall?

My expertise may be one sided but it comes from over twenty years in business and manufacturing experience in real world companies. I do not have direct experience working in politically and personally motivated, bureaucratic boards of education or town councils. However, even though I've never sought election to a board of eduction in order to have a family member hired, push amy personal agenda, or seek vengence on an administrator or teacher, I think I know waste when I see it.

The bottom line is that I have at least as much experience as any of the board members all of whom have failed miserably at handling the most important issues, some of which to me are; educating children, getting reasonable budgets passed, and negotiating fair contracts with all of the employees in a timely manner.

If all of the support personnel are necessary and they are and handling all of the behind the scenes work, why is it that appearances at schools and community activities by the superintendent, asst. superintendent, and board members are so rare? What are they doing?

One thing I'll readily admit, I probably shouldn't single out the central office. I'm sure there is plenty of excess througout the district, such as the high school.

Archived