Kotw Racist Remarks

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I guess we natural born americans now feel the way our american Indians felt wh en they were invaded by other countries and layed claim to this land and made them adjust to the new land owners, such as language and customs, next thing we wil see is reservations for the new american indians. Maybe we will be able to build non taxible gambling cosino's. Only in America !!!!!!!

Guest Guest
I guess we natural born americans now feel the way our american Indians felt wh en they were invaded by other countries and layed claim to this land and made them adjust to the new land owners, such as language and customs, next thing we wil see is reservations for the new american indians. Maybe we will be able to build non taxible gambling cosino's. Only in America !!!!!!!

Your ignorance is unbelievable! The best part of America is the blending of cultures. It is always difficult for the first generation of immigrants to assimilate into a new society with new customs. How many people do you know had Italian grandparents that didn't speak a word of English? How many people do you know that move here 50-60 years ago because it was an "Irish" or "Italian" neighborhood? People gravitate to what is familiar. Ever notice the Polish-American Club? Irish-American Club? Hibernian Society?

There is one common thread immigrants share: they want something better for their children and their children's children. They immigrate here because they are told the "streets are paved with gold." They come here for the American Dream. Is it more difficult because they don't speak the language? Yes, but mostly it is more difficult for them. It is very hard for an adult to learn another language. Their children become fluent speakers of English in almost no time. I wonder how many times "Female Minority" was called upon to translate for her parents in very adult situations, like the doctor's office or school or work.

Please remember that when our Founding Fathers discussed an "official" language for this country it was German they were talking about and it was voted down. There would be no "official" language so no one could be excluded from the process.

I'm proud I'm an American. I'm proud of my Irish and German ancestors. And I'm most proud of their bravery leaving all that was comfortable for the unknown of America. I'm proud that I have learned about Jewish customs, Indian customs, Portuguese customs, Spanish customs, Mexican customs, Polish customs, etc. because it makes me a better person. If you choose not to take that opportunity, shame on you.

Guest Guest
QUOTE (Guest @ May 17 2004, 12:20 PM)

Sounds like a comment I heard from (TP)Tommy boy himself. I also am proud of my heritage and the fact that I speak more then one language. Don't look for excuses that OJ (our superintendant) should retire, from both office and work. That puppet is about to crumble to dust any day now. Our school system is second to the mayor of this town and his friends, who he allows to break the law (ie Tommy boys 2 illegal homes ha's about to put up.). :angry:

Guest Guest

To "Guest" who called the previous poster an ***hole. You have shown your true colors. Temper, temper. I think it is a disgrace that you take such offense to a comment. It must be true to bring out that blazing temper of yours. Thank god I am not one of your kids or grandkids and piss you off. The results must be traumatizing. You must be a teacher that has graduated from the Harrison school system and kissed butt to get your job because if you read your own post you are obviously not teacher material. More like a fifth grade student (and that is being generous.) Road rage on 280 on the way home instead of taking it out on your family when you get home. They probably hope you get home late so they do not have to spend time with you. You can always put that G.E.D. (good enough diploma) to good use if you hurt somebody with that temper. ADIOS.

Your ignorance is unbelievable! The best part of America is the blending of cultures. It is always difficult for the first generation of immigrants to assimilate into a new society with new customs. How many people do you know had Italian grandparents that didn't speak a word of English? How many people do you know that move here 50-60 years ago because it was an "Irish" or "Italian" neighborhood? People gravitate to what is familiar. Ever notice the Polish-American Club? Irish-American Club? Hibernian Society?

There is one common thread immigrants share: they want something better for their children and their children's children. They immigrate here because they are told the "streets are paved with gold." They come here for the American Dream. Is it more difficult because they don't speak the language? Yes, but mostly it is more difficult for them. It is very hard for an adult to learn another language. Their children become fluent speakers of English in almost no time. I wonder how many times "Female Minority" was called upon to translate for her parents in very adult situations, like the doctor's office or school or work.

Please remember that when our Founding Fathers discussed an "official" language for this country it was German they were talking about and it was voted down. There would be no "official" language so no one could be excluded from the process.

I'm proud I'm an American. I'm proud of my Irish and German ancestors. And I'm most proud of their bravery leaving all that was comfortable for the unknown of America. I'm proud that I have learned about Jewish customs, Indian customs, Portuguese customs, Spanish customs, Mexican customs, Polish customs, etc. because it makes me a better person. If you choose not to take that opportunity, shame on you.

Very well said! you get points across that I've often discussed with people who show ignorance such as some that post on this forum. I think people have a selective memory when it comes to their family and how everyone that has come from another part of the world has had to fend and work hard without knowing a word of English. I too am very proud of being American and of my heritage. I feel very lucky and honored to share my customs with others, as well as learn about other cultures from all over the world. We, in American, are truly priviliged to be living among so many different people, unlike other places in this world that only know their 'own kind' without realizing that the world is full of color and a variety.

I hope that one day when and if I have children, that they will not dismiss their heritage and take as much pride in it as I do. I hope they realize the hardships that my parents went through, and if they never learned English perfectly, it was because they were so busy working and trying to make my world everything theirs wasn't. I hope they never become ignorant and indignant to the new immigrants that come to this country and will accept and understand the hardships that all immigrants will face, just like their grandparents did, and everyone else's families did when they first stepped onto this counrty.

Unfortunately, I feel the people that have such a hatred toward immigrants have not been told the stories of their families or have not truly felt the hardships. People tend to admonish things that they are not familiar with and do not understand. Hatred and racism is the result of ignorance. And these people on the forum that bash other races are just plain ignorant. I too feel sorry for them! Shame, shame, shame on them!

Guest Guest
Please remember that when our Founding Fathers discussed an "official" language for this country it was German they were talking about and it was voted down. There would be no "official" language so no one could be excluded from the process.And I'm proud to be an American

I agree 100% that the Italians came here and didn't speak English, but they didn't take jobs away from the Americans. Read the paper tomorrow and see how many job listings ask for bi-lingual speaking people. First of all, if we keep interpreting to these people they'll never learn, and secondly, when the job calls for bi-lingual it is 90% of the time asking for Spanish/Portuguese. Not Polish, Chinese, Indian, etc. Sounds like favortism to me! So stop complaining you have it better than any of us, from EOF in college to better jobs because you speak multiple languages (and don't dare call me jealous) you definitely got the better end of all of this.

Guest Guest

Your ignorance is unbelievable!  The best part of America is the blending of cultures.  It is always difficult for the first generation of immigrants to assimilate into a new society with new customs. How many people do you know had Italian grandparents that didn't speak a word of English?  How many people do you know that move here 50-60 years ago because it was an "Irish" or "Italian" neighborhood?  People gravitate to what is familiar.  Ever notice the Polish-American Club?  Irish-American Club?  Hibernian Society?

I agree 100% that the Italians came here and didn't speak English, but they didn't take jobs away from the Americans. Read the paper tomorrow and see how many job listings ask for bi-lingual speaking people. First of all, if we keep interpreting to these people they'll never learn, and secondly, when the job calls for bi-lingual it is 90% of the time asking for Spanish/Portuguese. Not Polish, Chinese, Indian, etc. Sounds like favortism to me! So stop complaining you have it better than any of us, from EOF in college to better jobs because you speak multiple languages (and don't dare call me jealous) you definitely got the better end of all of this.

Very well said. We the AMERICAN people are now the minority. It is a disgrace that people born and raised in the country cannot get help, when in fact the 90% of the immigrants get everything handed to them. Try going to another country and see if we are catered to the way this government caters to them. IT IS TIME THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT WAKES UP AND STARTS TAKING CARE OF THEIR OWN PEOPLE FIRST.

Guest Guest

Get it through your head that what you call Americans today ARE bi- and multi-lingual. How dare you call multi-lingual residents of America, non-American. Growing up in Harrison, 95% of my friends were born in this country and spoke more than one language. Therefore, don't discriminate and say that only those people that speak only English are Americans, while others are not.

Also, it's true that many jobs require the capability to speak another language, but why do you have such a problem with this? Why can't we assist people that just came here and try to make their lives a little easier than it was for our parents, grandparents, etc? ...Don't you remember how hard it was for them to establish themselves in this country without knowing any word of English? I remember, because my parents went through it. The immigrants that come to this country, for the most part, try to make a better life for themselves. They come from countries that are in turmoil, countries where their government have killed their families, friends, co-workers, over politics. They come here because they want to make it better for their living relatives. They want to experience the American dream. And perhaps they are taking jobs here in America, but they are the jobs THAT YOU DON'T WANT!!! They work for money that you wouldn't even think of working for, and yet they work like slaves in places that you wouldn't even go to! So stop your whining. If you want the jobs they have, then go for it...but I'd like to see you doing half of the crap work they get, and still be happy with the money you make.

Also, not all multi-lingual jobs are for the assistance of immigrants here, several companies require multilingual people because they need to contact other companies overseas. We have commerece everywhere, we need to be speaking the language that others speak in order to make our transactions and communications as clear as possible.

You pinpoint the Spanish and Portuguese, because that is what youa re seeing most of, perhaps it's because If you look at Newark, or even Harrison, most of the business owners are Portuguese or Spanish. The restaurants in Newark are almost all Spanish/Portuguese. They have established themselves in this country and have built a good reputation. They have built their homes in these towns and have increased the value of their property and yours. Why is this a bad thing?

As far as government 'catering' to 'these people' as you so rudely insinuate, if you go to any European country, at least, every immigrant that steps on their land, actually gets housing, and even a PENSION!!! so don't go speaking lies, if you are so ignorant and can't look outside the borders of the USA.

It's so sad to hear that even today, people have not learned to accept the fact that America is consisted of people from ALL over the world, who speak all other languages.

Guest Guest
Try going to another country and see if we are catered to the way this government caters to them. IT IS TIME THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT WAKES UP AND STARTS TAKING CARE OF THEIR OWN PEOPLE FIRST.

Their OWN people???? what does that mean? AMERICANS ARE NOT JUST those that SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY!

Guest Guest
Try going to another country and see if we are catered to the way this government caters to them. IT IS TIME THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT WAKES UP AND STARTS TAKING CARE OF THEIR OWN PEOPLE FIRST.

If you would stop being so ignorant and actually visited other countries, you would know that in 90% of them you will find that people have been taught to speak English. So you want to talk about being catered to, if you visit these places you won't have to open up any type of translating dictionary, because you will most likely find several people that can help you out.

AND if you are talking about catered to as in insinuating that the government assists them, then you really have not stepped outside the box. We are NOT the only country that assists immigrants when they come into the country!

Guest Guest

Your ignorance is unbelievable!  The best part of America is the blending of cultures.  It is always difficult for the first generation of immigrants to assimilate into a new society with new customs. How many people do you know had Italian grandparents that didn't speak a word of English?  How many people do you know that move here 50-60 years ago because it was an "Irish" or "Italian" neighborhood?  People gravitate to what is familiar.  Ever notice the Polish-American Club?  Irish-American Club?  Hibernian Society?

I got the better end of nothing. I come from a white, middle class family. Everything I have gotten I have worked for. My family received no public assistance. We have never lived in public housing. My secondary school education was paid for by my parents. I received no grants or loans. I didn't have it easier than anyone else.

As far as jobs asking for bi-lingual speakers, in this area you will see more Spanish/Portuguese speakers in your establishment, so you will need people to speak those languages. But, I would bet that in the next 3-5 years you will start to see ads for people that speak Chinese and Polish because of a shifting demographic in the town.

I don't speak multiple languages. I speak English. However, I did work for a French/German company and they did employ French and German speakers. This is a global economy. You must evolve or die. American companies are doing business all around the globe and we must have a workforce that can service all of these areas.

I remember being very envious of a young man I went to high school with because he was a native Chinese speaker that moved to Bolivia when he was a toddler and became fluent in Spanish. He then moved to America and became fluent in English. He was taking French to learn another language and I have no doubt that he is fluent in at least French as well now. I knew even then that he would have an edge in the workplace because he is multi-lingual. I just never had that aptitude. He earned that upper hand and I don't begrudge him that. It was through his hard work.

Guest Guest

When Councilman MiLLAN reffered to his people I think He was referring to the People Of Harrison and was excluding the Mayors people and his close net of friends. The Mayors people and his bandit of theives are the only AMERICANS Benefiting from anything in this town. As the rest of the people will soon see.

Guest Guest

Note, you are making statements that immigrants have the upper hand in the workforce and in getting government assistance, but if you really look around, there are many immigrants that are working hard and not receiving a penny of assistance. If you really want to see who is getting the most assistance all you have to do is take a walk to the Harrison gardens. What is the largest percentage of people that live here? I believe they are White Americans, like you like to label them.

Guest Guest

If one of the teachers knocks a student down the stairs trying to beat them out of the school to get to their house down the shore, is that an assault? Can the teacher be considered injured while on duty? Is the home schooling available for the poor child who was trampled? Will the teacher be tested for alcohol or being under the influence of illegal substances? Questions, questions. Any answers ou there?

Guest Guest
Note, you are making statements that immigrants have the upper hand in the workforce and in getting government assistance, but if you really look around, there are many immigrants that are working hard and not receiving a penny of assistance. If you really want to see who is getting the most assistance all you have to do is take a walk to the Harrison gardens. What is the largest percentage of people that live here? I believe they are White Americans, like you like to label them.

YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR FACTS, I'M NOT DISAGREEING WITH YOU ABOUT THE GARDENS, BUT TAKE A LOOK AROUND THERE, MORE AND MORE SOUTH AMERICANS ARE MOVING IN. ALSO, NOT ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT LIVE THERE ARE ON WELFARE OR GET ASSISTANCE, SOME PEOPLE, DARE I SAY, WORK FOR A LIVING.

Guest Guest
To "Guest" who called the previous poster an ***hole. You have shown your true colors. Temper, temper. I think it is a disgrace that you take such offense to a comment. It must be true to bring out that blazing temper of yours. Thank god I am not one of your kids or grandkids and piss you off. The results must be traumatizing. You must be a teacher that has graduated from the Harrison school system and kissed butt to get your job because if you read your own post you are obviously not teacher material. More like a fifth grade student (and that is being generous.) Road rage on 280 on the way home instead of taking it out on your family when you get home. They probably hope you get home late so they do not have to spend time with you. You can always put that G.E.D. (good enough diploma) to good use if you hurt somebody with that temper. ADIOS.

Sorry I am not a teacher and did not and never will kiss anyones ass for a job..My Family and I get along very well THANK YOU......... :D;):P:lol:

Guest Guest

To the Engineer,

If You seen the start of this thread You will see it was started by a Spanish Person [Ethnic origin unknown].Putting the People of this Town in a Category very unfitting.So what You make $75 g's a Year.Does that make You a good Person?Your bank account does'nt concern any one but Your Accountant.Are You good to Your Neighbors or do You look down upon Them because You are to Good for them.You are probably someone that forgot where they came from.If You grew up around white People especially around here You would know You come from a good place with good People.Spanish and Portugese and Indian and Chinese classmates were never left out of the fun.They were and still are considered My Friends.You have to realize that we grew up speaking 1 language.If You can speak English please do so in Our presence.It is a matter of being courteous.If not You are basically saying to hell with us an action gets a reaction!

Guest Guest
To the Engineer,

If You seen the start of this thread You will see it was started by a Spanish Person [Ethnic origin unknown].Putting the People of this Town in a Category very unfitting.So what You make $75 g's a Year.Does that make You a good Person?Your bank account does'nt concern any one but Your Accountant.Are You good to Your Neighbors or do You look down upon Them because You are to Good for them.You are probably someone that forgot where they came from.If You grew up around white People especially around here You would know You come from a good place with good People.Spanish and Portugese and Indian and Chinese classmates were never left out of the fun.They were and still are considered My Friends.You have to realize that we grew up speaking 1 language.If You can speak English please do so in Our presence.It is a matter of being courteous.If not You are basically saying to hell with us an action gets a reaction!

Nowhere in the beginning of this thread does the person state that they are of Spanish origin....it's just you jumpingn to conclusions. I guess you feel that if someone jumps to the defense of spanish people that they must be spanish in some way...how sad....as for the engineer, I believe what she was trying to convey is that she is not taking jobs away from people, she is a qualified professional who has proven to be successful regardless of teh fact that she began school without knowing english.

As for growing up speaking one language, perhaps YOU grew up speaking one language, but very many people grew up speaking more than one. Just because people speak another language other than English in the streets it does not mean that they are being discourteous, it's just that they're speaking what they feel most comfortable with, among people that can understand them. If two Chinese people are walking down the street speaking Chinese, why do they have to stop and speak english aroudn someone that doesnt' understand Chinese? It doesn't make any sense to me....they are not shunning anyone away. They are having their own conversations. It is sad that you feel so threatend by other people that can speak another language and do not speak what you are most comfortable with aroudn you...must you know what is going on in everyone's conversations? or do you have such an ego that you think EVERYONE is talking about you and you must know what they are saying? sheesh, get off it already.

You say that spanish, portugues, chinese, etc are YOUR friends, but how can anyone with your mentality of shunning away other languages and only speaking english be your friend, when in fact you are insulting the people that do speak other languages. Are you saying that the ones that speak more than one language should only speak that language at home?! basically like hiding it from others so no one else knows that they can? Moron!

Archived