Kotw Racist Remarks

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Why do you delete some peoples names while you let others, such as the racist who is using the word "spics" try to demoralize and paint with a broad brush a whole race of people remain in print. How many minorities do you employ? My guess is none. How mant hispanic or black employees are there in Harrison. One black fireman out of 60, 2 black cops out of 50, and another few scattered low paying jobs. The NAACP should crawl up the ass of your publication and the Town of Harrison for blatant discrimination and subjecting people who, in your mind, are not equal to you and are subjected to your incessant racist diatribe. I can only hope someone other than me takes notice.

Guest Guest

You make a solid case about racism.People are People and You should be treated fairly by the Host of this site.Please ask the Immigrants coming into Our Country[Yours as well as Mine]To respect This Country and it's Citezen's by learning the English Language so They can communicate with Thier neighbors and demonstrate what good people they are.By not learning the Language they are basically shunning Their English speaking Neighbors and causing resentment.Our culture is dying because of a lack of respect by the Immigrants coming into Our Country.

Guest Alvin

First of all, you may speak English but your writing skills clearly demonstrate that you are a product of the Harrison Public School System. Secondly, I did not hear you address the issues of the oppression of the African American members of the Harrison community that are not employed because of racism, not the lack of effort. When was the last time someone called the Police and stated that there was a white guy walking down there block and to check him out. I have a scanner, and I often here that the dispatcher says there is a black male 10-53 (which is the code I assume used to describe a person up to no good) walking down their block and a car is dispatched. They never ask if he has done anything, the man is just walking. What a crime! Then the cops show up, which is not their fault because if they didn't the bosses would be all over their *** getting them in trouble, and treat the man like a criminal. What is your answer to that?

Guest Guest

Read the paper, the most crimes are committed by the blacks and hispanic,

therefore they are considered suspcious, this may not be right but it is the

way of the land. If the person of color is committing the crimes, then we

become leary of them. I have people of all races living by me and I have

no problem with them. But this is not the general rule and it is understandable.

Go to a black area and they are suspcious of the whites.

Guest Guest
You make a solid case about racism.People are People and You should be treated fairly by the Host of this site.Please ask the Immigrants coming into Our Country[Yours as well as Mine]To respect This Country and it's Citezen's by learning the English Language so They can communicate with Thier neighbors and demonstrate what good people they are.By not learning the Language they are basically shunning Their English speaking Neighbors and causing resentment.Our culture is dying because of a lack of respect by the Immigrants coming into Our Country.

This is true what other country can You go to and have them cater to You like we do in this country....It should be mandatory for kids to speak english before entering our schools...This is why our schools are rating so bad in the state test......It holds everyone else back......I have nothing against any other race or religion but i dont appreciate how things are changed to suite them...We would not get this treatment in any other Country......

Guest to ignorant post above me

I am tired of reading how the non-english speaking people are ruining this town, please already. You claim to know what other countries would do but have probably never left Harrison. There is a whole world out there, I am sure when your anscestors came from another country they didn't speak english. These people come over to make a better life for themselves, most are forced to work in factories, construction sites, whatever, do the work you wouldn't do.

My only problem is at least they have an excuse for their lack of the English language, what's yours....... What is "Suite them" try suit them next time, maybe your part of the cause why Harrison School scores are so low.

Guest Guest

Ok, idiot, how is a young child supposed to learn english BEFORE they go to school? That is why english is a school subject. Maybe you should learn to treat people as human beings and help them instead of spitting out the venom because of your obvious miserable life which is devoid of any happiness. Go get your welfare check, shut up, and watch TV.

Guest Harrisonian_Guest
I am tired of reading how the non-english speaking people are ruining this town, please already. You claim to know what other countries would do but have probably never left Harrison. There is a whole world out there, I am sure when your anscestors came from another country they didn't speak english. These people come over to make a better life for themselves, most are forced to work in factories, construction sites, whatever, do the work you wouldn't do.

My only problem is at least they have an excuse for their lack of the English language, what's yours....... What is "Suite them" try suit them next time, maybe your part of the cause why Harrison School scores are so low.

You are absolutely right. Many of our ancestors came to this country to make a better life for themselves. However, when they did arrive here they had to learn the English language. Nothing was written for them in Polish, Italian, German, etc. I think what most people are trying to convey in their posts is that the majority of the people who come this country now, do absolutely nothing to learn our language because everything is written for them in Spanish. If this country is good enough for them to come and make a living then our language should be good for them as well. I guess this is partly America's fault because we do not give them any reason to have to learn our language.

Guest ComoSeLlamaUsted?

That's right. I work in a large establishment here in town and like nothing better than telling 20 people a day "No hablo Espanol." They will just keep looking around until they find an employee who understands.

The sad thing is that most of these people are in their mid 20's or younger. It's not like it's the grandparents of our generation. I have 10 year olds come and try to converse with me in Spanish.(I know not all of them just got here to the USA last week- it is plain laziness that they will not learn the language of this country--why bother when we go out of the way not to teach them or put everything in their native language-How many people do you know that took their NJ driving test in Spanish, Mandarin ,Portuegese, or Filippino in the 60's or 70's?) There is no incentive to learn. There is nothing wrong with keeping your family culture alive for the future generations -that is what this country is all about. But in public and in every day dealings there is already a long established language-English.

Guest Guest

Harrison was an Industrial Giant on 3 shifts.The Town has always had Black People working here and living here.Don't paint this Town as a White Racist commune.You are way out of line.You are a hypocrate.You are just an ignorant person that hates His or Her white Neighbors.If the People of this Town were really as racist as You portray them You would have an incentive to move.Take a good look in the mirror and You will find the racist You have been looking for.

Guest Guest
Harrison was an Industrial Giant on 3 shifts.The Town has always had Black People working here and living here.Don't paint this Town as a White Racist commune.You are way out of line.You are a hypocrate.You are just an ignorant person that hates His or Her white Neighbors.If the People of this Town were really as racist as You portray them You would have an incentive to move.Take a good look in the mirror and You will find the racist You have been looking for.

WELL SAID!

Guest Guest

Don't you realize that this is not about racism, it's about caring. The American born people would like to see the foreigners succeed, but without proper education that isn't possible. If our children enter school and sit there not understanding what the teacher is saying then what are they learning? Try not to be so defensive and look a little further into this

Guest Guest

I think the People of this Country have bent over backwards to accept and assist the Latino Immigrants and will continue to do so.I went to school with a ton of So. Americans.Puerto Ricans and they all had accents or spoke broken English and were and still are My friends.Why is the Person that started this thread implying that this Town is a bunch of Racists.I find it insulting.I feel the fact that they live here is proof of the quality of the People of this Town.Nobody set fire to the Homes they own.No crosses were burned.The 10-53 scanner statement was totally insulting.The Portugese hate blacks[remember Angola]I bet some of those calls to the Police Dept.were made by a Portugese house frau.Why does it have to be a white person making these calls?

Guest Harrisonian_Guest
Don't you realize that this is not about racism, it's about caring. The American born people would like to see the foreigners succeed, but without proper education that isn't possible. If our children enter school and sit there not understanding what the teacher is saying then what are they learning? Try not to be so defensive and look a little further into this

Very well said.

Guest Guest

" Portugese hate blacks" that is a brilliant defense to a topic on racism. Things will never change. I would love to see an African-American on the city council, but because of people like you that will never happen. Sicko!!!

Guest gUEST_Guest
I am tired of reading how the non-english speaking people are ruining this town, please already. You claim to know what other countries would do but have probably never left Harrison. There is a whole world out there, I am sure when your anscestors came from another country they didn't speak english.  These people come over to make a better life for themselves, most are forced to work in factories, construction sites, whatever, do the work you wouldn't do.

You are absolutely right. Many of our ancestors came to this country to make a better life for themselves. However, when they did arrive here they had to learn the English language. Nothing was written for them in Polish, Italian, German, etc. I think what most people are trying to convey in their posts is that the majority of the people who come this country now, do absolutely nothing to learn our language because everything is written for them in Spanish. If this country is good enough for them to come and make a living then our language should be good for them as well. I guess this is partly America's fault because we do not give them any reason to have to learn our language.

THANK YOU THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANY ONE S RACE OR RELIGION...I JUST THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE TO LEARN OUR LANGUAGE...AND NOT BE CATERED TO......I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE I DIDNT MEAN TO...i AM NOT PART OF THE CAUSE ..I HAVE SEEN KIDS GOING TO SCHOOL CRYING AND WHEN ASKED WHY THEY WERE CRYING IT WAS BECAUSE THEIR HOMEWORK WASNT DONE BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS DONT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH AND IT BREAKS MY HEART.....IF THERE WAS TIME I WOULD SIT THERE AND HELP THEM DO IT..SO THEY NEED TO LEARN TO SPEAK AND READ ENGLISH SO THEIR KIDS CAN DO WELL ......SO DONT TELL ME I AM PART OF THE PROBLEM.....YOU DONT KNOW ME........

Guest Guest
I think the People of this Country have bent over backwards to accept and assist the Latino Immigrants and will continue to do so.I went to school with a ton of So. Americans.Puerto Ricans and they all had accents or spoke broken English and were and still are My friends.Why is the Person that started this thread implying that this Town is a bunch of Racists.I find it insulting.I feel the fact that they live here is proof of the quality of the People of this Town.Nobody set fire to the Homes they own.No crosses were burned.The 10-53 scanner statement was totally insulting.The Portugese hate blacks[remember Angola]I bet some of those calls to the Police Dept.were made by a Portugese house frau.Why does it have to be a white person making these calls?

THANK YOU.

Guest Guest

"If there was time I would help them" What a crock. The teachers usually beat the kids out of school to get a jump on 280 before it gets crowded. If you were truly sincere, you would make time. If the price was right, you wouldn't mind, would you?

Guest Guest

How could the teachers beat the kids out of school when teachers are dismissed at 3:15? Some people on this website just run their mouths without any knowledge of what they are preaching.

Guest guest_Guest
"If there was time I would help them"  What a crock.  The teachers usually beat the kids out of school to get a jump on 280 before it gets crowded.  If you were truly sincere, you would make time.  If the price was right, you wouldn't mind, would you?

Listen You AS**OLE....Maybe You should find some time to help them ,the only thing You seem to have time for is to uput your smat a*s remarks on this site....I have My Family to take care of after i come home from work everyday.....I help My Kids and Grandkids out i have a full day .. i also have helped many kids and families out .With food clothing or what ever else they may need..If i hear of a family in need i will do what i can to help them.And I dont care what race they are they are Human beings and need to breath and drink water to stay alive just like Me I dont care what color their skin is....SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH YOU MORON>>>>YOU CAN KISS MY A*S>>>>>>>>

KOTW Note: The above post was edited per the no profanity (or anything close to profanity) policy.

Guest Guest

hey let it be the way it is.....its ultimately the decision of the child when it grows into its teenagehood to learn the language....if they don't..... don't worry about it....they'll end up slaves in our wonderfull facilities at hudson county prison.

Someone has to keep our streets and highways clean! <_<

To the person that stated that it is a shame that children come into schools not speaking a word of english:

I am a 28 year old Hispanic female who as a 4 year old walking into pre-school did not speak or understand a word of English. I always spoke Spanish at home and to this day we do not speak any English at home. I can speak, read and write, English and Spanish fluently. I am a professional engineer earning over $75,000 year plus bonuses, working for a prominent company. I am a well respected employee who is often asked to assist in international events by translating our training courses and our strategic engineering ideas. I am proud and thankful that my parents taught me to speak Spanish. The ability to know another language well has gotten me where I am today. I would hope that parents continue to teach their children their language and their customs. Leave the English to the teachers of this country. Children have the ability to learn other languages quickly and effectly from a very young age so there should be no worries about not knowing english when they first walk into a classroom. I do not feel that not understanding or speaking English at a young age caused any type of falling behind in the classroom. In fact, I was always an A student and am proud of my achievements. I did not slow down my classmates, in fact there were times where I felt slowed down by other students when there were no opportunities to take A classes/ie: honor classes. Therefore, I think this is all a form of mindset. If you are a studious and conscientious person you can accomplish anything, regardless of language. In fact, learning several languages is an advantage in the world today. USA commerce is worldwide, and large, prestigious companies need people that have that ability to communicate with other people from all over the world.

Sadly, this is the only country I see that has such a controversy of just focusing on the English language (which is not the OFFICIAL language of this country, I might add) Other countries teach the children as many as 5 languages at a young age. For example, in Aruba, the children speak their native language at home which is Papamiento, however the children learn a different language every year, Dutch (their official language), English and Spanish, which they learn to speak, read, and write fluently. They are not confused individuals and in fact, have a highly regarded scholastic ability.

I cannot get over the ignorance of people who state that teaching children different languages slows them down and everyone else around them. Grow up, and wake up! Being multi-lingual is an advantage that perhaps you're jealous you do not posses. Kudos to those parents that continue to teach their children their language and their culture! It's a beautiful thing to know where you come from and celebrate your heritage. Just like the Irish and Italians have their Irish pride and Italian pride, so do the rest of the people have the right to celebrate their rich cultures!

Archived