Police And Fire Contracts

Guest Howard

What makes you think you deserve the same raise as the Police? Are you kidding me? In reality, you don't actually have a "job," you just collect a paycheck. They should take money away from the Fireman and give the money to the schools to buy comp[uters and other needed items. Volunteers could do anything the current firemen do just a well.

And what do you do for a living?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
[ I don't know about you but if my house is burning down and my family is trapped inside i would rather have a firefighter who knows what they are doing then have a volunteer who is going to decide whether they should get out of bed to answer the call.

This is disingenuous at BEST Judy, just because I dont feel Volunteer Fire would work here does NOT mean that it doesnt work just as well in other areas, especially in places where Volunteer FD's are all they have EVER had. Most of South Jersey is all Vollunteer Departments, as well as Western Jersey, Norther Jersey..in fact, MOST of this state is Volunteer, the paid departments are only in the urban areas. Volunteer Firefighters are just as well trained as the paid guys, and their equipment is just as good, and in some cases better. You dont get pressed into the Fire Service, you Volunteer to be a firefighter, and hats off to them, their job is to run into the buring building every other person is running away from. Dont knock the Volunteers, especially since we rely on them a lot to assist KFD, and EVERY time we've had a major fire they've decided to "Get out of bed" to come work in a town other than their own.

Guest Guest

I don't think anybody is knocking volunteers, but rather to the contrary applauding them. It's the paid ones that are not needed. Only major cites such as new york should have some, but the West Hudson Towns should not because they do very, very little if any work and are a tremendous burden on the taxpayers. Most of them do not even live in the towns they collect a check in.

Guest StudiesandObservations
I don't think anybody is knocking volunteers, but rather to the contrary applauding them. It's the paid ones that are not needed. Only major cites such as new york should have some, but the West Hudson Towns should not because they do very, very little if any work and are a tremendous burden on the taxpayers. Most of them do not even live in the towns they collect a check in.

Ok fine..but where are you going to get enough volunteers??? I've asked this same question time and time again, biut noone seems to have an answer. Kearny couldnt field enough volunteers to keep even ONE ambulance with 2 people 24/7/365, which is why the Ambulance Squad is now paid and not volunteer. If we couldnt keep 2 people where are you going to get enough to fight a fire??? IF our area (West Hudson) Had had a history of Volunteer Fire Depts, then it wouldnt be a problem, but trying to start a VFD in this region would be difficult at best, nevermind the very first fires would end up putting the town in lawsuits. Regionalization isnt the answer either, as North Hudson Regional has caused more problems than solutions. I;m no great fan of the FD sometimes, but the simple fact is that the current system works...mostly. Answer me one question, would YOU be first in line to be a Volly firefighter??? Me??? no way, fire scares the hell out of me, and im more than happy to let those who want to fight them fight them.

Guest Guest

Remember one thing, this is Hudson County. With the right incentives, such as huge money savings, the politicos can move mountains to get what they want. They abolished the entire Hudson County Police Dept. for a reason I'll never understand. Just like that. There were plenty of good cops on that dept. They could just as easily consolidate the West Hudson Fire Departments and have some paid full time fireman and volunteers to pick up the slack. It can be done. Someone just has to take a stand to use that large chunk of money to do improvemets in other areas.

Guest StudiesandObservations
Remember one thing, this is Hudson County. With the right incentives, such as huge money savings, the politicos can move mountains to get what they want. They abolished the entire Hudson County Police Dept. for a reason I'll never understand. Just like that. There were plenty of good cops on that dept. They could just as easily consolidate the West Hudson Fire Departments and have some paid full time fireman and volunteers to pick up the slack. It can be done. Someone just has to take a stand to use that large chunk of money to do improvemets in other areas.

Actually it became a piddling match between Janezewski and the old Chief of HCPD. They crossed swords, and Janezewski won. Yes, there were a lot of good cops on Hudson County PD, all of which were hired onto other departments, and some good ones right here in Kearny. That said, there were a LOT of empty uniforms as well.

Guest Guest

So what if there are some "empty uniforms" from merging the Fire departments? Who cares? i am worried about the increase in taxes. The biggest portion of the munipal part is salaries. Merge, save money, and if some are demoted or left out thats just too bad. Get them a job at PVSC.

Guest Just a Thought
So what if there are some "empty uniforms" from merging the Fire departments? Who cares? i am worried about the increase in taxes. The biggest portion of the munipal part is salaries. Merge, save money, and if some are demoted or left out thats just too bad. Get them a job at PVSC.

Hey Guest,

You really need to redirect your hostilities towards the correct dept. that's causing your taxes to be so high.

It's the Board of Education that's our problem, not the municipalities.

Besides, the municipal portion of the taxes covers the PD, FD, DPW and everything in between.

Do you really believe that cutting a few guys from the FD will decrease your taxes? I didn't think so and neither does anyone else.

The Mayor will find other places for that money to go. It'll never be returned to you in the form of lowering taxes. I pay $7200 in taxes for a one family and it's not even in the manor.

I want to make sure that I get all the services I possibly can for the money I pay, so cutting them, to me, is not even an option.

The FD is downsizing itself, rather quickly I might add, thru Attrition. That's guys retiring or leaving for other reasons and never being replaced. There have been a dozen or so guys this year so far. Meanwhile, the PD hire new people every two months or so. The UEZ program pays for the first year and then they're the towns responsibility from then on.

It's pretty sad that you're so disgruntled and uninformed. You need to go to some town meetings and find out why Kearny spends $9,960 per kid, per year of school.

Good luck and try to be happy :o

Guest Guestimate
So what if there are some "empty uniforms" from merging the Fire departments?  Who cares?  i am worried about the increase in taxes.  The biggest portion of the munipal part is salaries.  Merge, save money, and if some are demoted or left out thats just too bad.  Get them a job at PVSC.

Hey Guest,

You really need to redirect your hostilities towards the correct dept. that's causing your taxes to be so high.

Besides, the municipal portion of the taxes covers the PD, FD, DPW and everything in between.

Do you really believe that cutting a few guys from the FD will decrease your taxes? I didn't think so and neither does anyone else.

The Mayor will find other places for that money to go. It'll never be returned to you in the form of lowering taxes. I pay $7200 in taxes for a one family and it's not even in the manor.

I want to make sure that I get all the services I possibly can for the money I pay, so cutting them, to me, is not even an option.

The FD is downsizing itself, rather quickly I might add, thru Attrition. That's guys retiring or leaving for other reasons and never being replaced. There have been a dozen or so guys this year so far. Meanwhile, the PD hire new people every two months or so. The UEZ program pays for the first year and then they're the towns responsibility from then on.

It's pretty sad that you're so disgruntled and uninformed. You need to go to some town meetings and find out why Kearny spends $9,960 per kid, per year of school.

Good luck and try to be happy :o

$9,960? Where did you get that figure? The school report card says it was budgeted for $10,405 for 2002-2003. Why are were nearly $1,000 less than the state average? And how can we fix that so that our kids are getting the same opportunities as the "average student"???????????????????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only empty uniforms would be the uniforms that don't fight fires. What good are chiefs without indians?

So what if there are some "empty uniforms" from merging the Fire departments?  Who cares?  i am worried about the increase in taxes.  The biggest portion of the munipal part is salaries.  Merge, save money, and if some are demoted or left out thats just too bad.  Get them a job at PVSC.

Hey Guest,

Good luck and try to be happy :unsure:

$9,960? Where did you get that figure? The school report card says it was budgeted for $10,405 for 2002-2003. Why are were nearly $1,000 less than the state average? And how can we fix that so that our kids are getting the same opportunities as the "average student"???????????????????

Send your kids to private school. Most cost less than $10,000 per year. You decide which school your children attend.

Guest Yeah Right!
Send your kids to private school. Most cost less than $10,000 per year. You decide which school your children attend.

So that's great....Pay 10K a year for private school and still pay over 50% of my taxes to the Board of Education so everyone else can take advantage of the school system.

Sounds like a REAL good plan. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Did the babies get their raise so they can get their blankets and pillows and go back to sleep (work)? A regional Fire Dept. should be formed to cut away the overloaded amount of Captains and up. One Chief, two or three Deputy Cheifs, and maybe 10 Captains TOTAL are needed at most. They should also go to 8 hour shifts so they are fresh and rested AT HOME instead of on taxpayer time. It is working out fine in North Hudson so whats the problem? It would save millions over the next few years to help fix the flooding problems in the town of Kearny and fiscal woes in Harrison.

Please list your credentials for fire protection. Certainly it is not too much to ask that someone with all the answers provide his/her qualifications???

Do you know what would happen to your fire insurance rating if we went to the staffing levels you recommend. I'm sure the increase in your homeowners would double any possible tax increase to either police, fire or both.

I water my lawn, sleep, eat, and crap. thats all the qualifications you need to be a fireman. The watering my lawn is my fire credentials, whatever that is. They should cur staffing and downsize thru demotions to save money. What a racket you guys got going on.

• 2 weeks later...

The town really needs to pay these guys in order to retain them. I don't know about you all, but I don't think that Kearny can risk losing anymore eligible bachelors.

:ph34r:

They should all be a drastic cut in salary and get to know how the real world is without $100,000.00 a year coming in for what is basically a no show job. Anyone who feels firemen have it rough needs psychiatric care.

• 2 weeks later...

Other professions might expect you to ACTUALLY WORK for a living intead of just sleeping and watching TV. You couldn't make it in the real world so your mommy or daddy got you a job on the Fire Dept. to ensure that their little coward idiot made some money. Go back to sleep, nobody cares!

Archived