The recordings are now online

Guest Paul

The cynics among us would state that the problem is that you could have been wrong, and that you're gambling with the emotional growth of a 16-year old who is not fully formed as a person?

You don't live in my house, and it's not your concern.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dingo Dave
No, actually, Dave, most of the substantive recordings were made before Mr. Paszkiewicz was admonished. The recordings made after the admonition contain Mr. P's whining about it, but do not contain additional religious comments, with the possible exception of one, which I acknowledge is a close call. So in the interests of fairness, I have to correct your statements.

I stand corrected.

The right wing is hard at work trying to use the public schools to tear down church-state separation.

Huh?

The right wing is trying to right the inequity of compulsory (free) secular education v. religious education, in response to the aggressive secularization of the public schools, of which the LaClair action is simply the latest move.

Does compulsory secular education (as we have it) discourage religion? I don't think that Mr. LaClair could honestly disagree. If he did, then he'd be out of step with Dewey and other humanists.

Now, if these secular humanist beliefs and values function like religion, then if we are to achieve justice in public education we must treat them like religion. Moreover, it is important to remember that the assertion that secular humanism is a religion was not originally made by conservative Catholics or Protestant fundamentalist critics of humanism but by humanists themselves. Writing as a nontheistic or secular humanist, John Dewey (1934) concludes his book, A Common Faith, with the words: "Here are all the elements for a religious faith that shall not be confined to sect, class, or race. Such a faith has always implicitly been the common faith of mankind. It remains to make it explicit and militant" (p. 87). Although Dewey's claim that his humanistic faith was always "implicitly the common faith of mankind" is simply mistaken, his statement about making it "explicit and militant" was prophetic, and it is no wonder that thoughtful religious leaders reacted with alarm. Their concern was only heightened when Dewey (1929) proclaimed that by advancing a common culture America's public schools "are performing an infinitely significant religious work" (p. 514).

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/rcc2/tcparticle.html

Dewey quotation with context:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LOc6q5lmE...2kf1y5xd79l4pKM

Merely stopping the behavior when someone just happens to get caught red-handed is not enough. The improper remarks must be corrected, else the radical right pays no price for its misdeeds, and the students walk away with misinformation.

Paszkiewicz was right on the points where it was alleged that he was wrong, AFAICT. But I'd be delighted to view the entire list of statements that supposedly warrant public apology and correction. :ninja: