Students Transfer in History Class

Guest Guest

Are you for real?

The administration did not notified the student and their families?

They do not have to notify anyone. If a teacher is moving out of a class and going to another that is their business not yours. Who do you think you are? What makes you think everyone has to check with you before making decision or doing something? Are you related to Fidel Castro by any chance? This town does not work by your rules.

YOU ARE JUST UPSET BECAUSE YOUR SON CAN'T USE MR. P. ANYMORE OR CAN'T TWIST HIS WORDS TO ADVANCE IN LIFE. 

Party time is OVER!

No, I'm upset because the latest round of abuse Matthew has endured as a result of students thinking he was responsible for the transfers was avoidable had the administration planned for it, notified eveyone properly and tried to defuse the situation in advance. The students are upset because they draw unwarranted conclusions on the basis of no knowledge, as you have done in your post. However, given their past behavior this was predictable, and the administration should have acted accordingly.

Perhaps you can explain to us how a man's words can be twisted on an unedited recording.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, Is there anything that Mr. Paszkiewicz can do right in your mind? Let's give this guy a break. He is a teacher (whether you like it or not) and he must be given the opportunity to teach again. Requesting transfer to a new class sounds like a reasonable solution to situation that appears to have gotten way out of hand.

I recently met him and found him to be level headed, likeable guy...a far cry from the monster he has been made out to be on this site.

You have made your point, over and over again, but I respectfully feel that you have gone too far now.  I, too, am against preaching in the classroom but I think it's time to let it go, put some distance between this incident that happened last fall and get on with our lives.

There are too many people on here that just simply want to take an argumentitive stance on this subject...as well as a few others who are just plain jerks that do not care to make any sense at all. Let's not encourage this bad behavior any more and give this guy and the school system a break.

If you read my post on this thread, it's clear that my complaint is against the administration in this instance, not Mr. Paszkiewicz. I have no problem with the transfer if that is what he believes he needed. I object to the way the administration handled it; and while I see no need to have transferred all the students, that is not my main concern.

Your advice is well-taken, except that the administration continues not to address the underlying problem. Maybe classroom preaching isn't as important to you as it is to us, but what happened in that classroom --- let's not personalize it for a moment --- is part of a larger movement called dominionism, whereby the radical Christian right is literally trying to take dominion over the rest of us. If they succeed, democracy in America will be history. So while I respect and share your desire to move on, we see a larger issue here.

Of course it's obvious!!!!! I can imagine what it's like to be in that class! Thoughtless? This is obviously better for the students and Mr. P. I know students in that class and you and Matt are the only ones upset about the change. My son has had class changes without my notification, big deal, your making a mountain out of a mole hill, as usual. Is it against the law for Mr. P to request the change? Is it against the law for the BOE to not notify you before hand? State the law thats been broken!!!!

Do you know what else is obvious? Your agenda<_< Now your starting to grasp at straws!

You might have asked the question and waited for my response, instead of telling me what I think. I have no problem with Matthew being in Ms. Vartan's class. You made up your mind without waiting for the information.

Paul, Is there anything that Mr. Paszkiewicz can do right in your mind? Let's give this guy a break. He is a teacher (whether you like it or not) and he must be given the opportunity to teach again. Requesting transfer to a new class sounds like a reasonable solution to situation that appears to have gotten way out of hand.

I recently met him and found him to be level headed, likeable guy...a far cry from the monster he has been made out to be on this site.

You have made your point, over and over again, but I respectfully feel that you have gone too far now.  I, too, am against preaching in the classroom but I think it's time to let it go, put some distance between this incident that happened last fall and get on with our lives.

There are too many people on here that just simply want to take an argumentitive stance on this subject...as well as a few others who are just plain jerks that do not care to make any sense at all. Let's not encourage this bad behavior any more and give this guy and the school system a break.

Thinking this over, the other point is that while you may get the point, many do not. Mr. Paszkiewicz himself has shown no contrition or sense of wrongdoing whatsoever, in fact just the opposite. That has made resolution very difficult. Both Matthew and I made it clear from the beginning that we were not asking that he be fired. That was our position.

However, if you think we've gone too far, just exactly what don't you like? We think this is an important matter, and so do many others, including national and international press, the legal community, the scientific community, the religious freedom community and others. You may not share our values. That doesn't make us wrong.

I will, however, try to ignore the nastiness. It's good advice.

If you read my post on this thread, it's clear that my complaint is against the administration in this instance, not Mr. Paszkiewicz. I have no problem with the transfer if that is what he believes he needed. I object to the way the administration handled it; and while I see no need to have transferred all the students, that is not my main concern.

I'm certain if the administration would have transfarred Mathew out, you would be screaming DISCRIMINATION. Right? :blink:

JESUS FREAKING CHRIST. What the HELL is wrong with you people?! Can you for once see past your PETTY BIAS and accept that Matthew just did what he thought was right?! He was NOT a trained snake, to coil and jump whenever Paul commands it, you dolts. He did what he thought was right, and Paul is doing what HE thinks is right.

Why can't you see him as a human being with morals and values, instead of an attention hungry lawyer, which he most certainly is not. You should be ashamed of yourselves, with your smug little "smiley" faces decorating every inch of your responses, your unnecessary, baseless, foundationless comments polluting this thread. Get the **** out of here, goddamnit. You people, once again, make me sick.

So why the latest attack on Mr. P from Paul regarding Hitlers's Big Lie?

No, I'm upset because the latest round of abuse Matthew has endured as a result of students thinking he was responsible for the transfers was avoidable had the administration planned for it, notified eveyone properly and tried to defuse the situation in advance. The students are upset because they draw unwarranted conclusions on the basis of no knowledge, as you have done in your post. However, given their past behavior this was predictable, and the administration should have acted accordingly.

Perhaps you can explain to us how a man's words can be twisted on an unedited recording.

That is a shame that Matt is getting another round of abuse when you are the one responsible with your latest attack on Mr. P. regarding "the big lie".

The way I see it is- they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

Please please tell us Paul, if you where notified, how would you have played it out?

As far as I know, the administration didn't do anything wrong! The only thing they did was not give your son another opportunity to create problems and that seems to really bother you. If your son is being "persecuted" like you said, it is not the school's fault, but his own fault. He has all the rights to do what he did, however, If he is old enough to secretly record a class, run to the media and accuse a teacher of lying without proving it, he should be old enough to deal with the pressure. The school has the responsibility to protect him while he is at school, but the school cannot hire a security guard to protect him. There are more than 1,300 students in that building every single day, there are other students who need attention. He is not special! Your son and his complainings are really getting annoying. A different look and this boy runs to the principal. So, stop blaming the school for everything that happens in your son's life because the greatest harm in his life was done by his own father.

I would suggest you learn how to spell "doofus" before calling someone else one. Just trying to keep you from drowning in your own irony. :blink:

Now, did you have any actual response to my post, or was it just the childish name-calling?

Yes!!!!Actually, you are a "Doofus" for thinking that no one sees the obvious reason for Mr. P requesting a class transfer. Oh yes.......and the childish name calling is fun!!!! I know you think so too..... you were the first to use "doofus" on this web site!

By the way: The way I read it, Paul isn't trying to get this back into the media's light, you dolts. He's expressing annoyance at the predictability of this occurence. And was it not predictable? He switches classes to rid himself of his problem. Who wouldn't? Someone with more formidable willpower, admittedly, but that's besides the point.

Then why did Paul recently attack Mr. P. regarding "the big lie"? And then he has the nerve to be "annoyed" at the predictability of this occurrence?

"Dolts" and "doofus".........you guys are getting a sense of humor!!!

Your advice is well-taken, except that the administration continues not to address the underlying problem. Maybe classroom preaching isn't as important to you as it is to us, but what happened in that classroom --- let's not personalize it for a moment --- is part of a larger movement called dominionism, whereby the radical Christian right is literally trying to take dominion over the rest of us. If they succeed, democracy in America will be history. So while I respect and share your desire to move on, we see a larger issue here.

I am actually quite surprised that it's taken this long. This matter became such a large issue that it must have become some sort of distraction in the classroom. And even if the distraction was minor, it was unfair to Matthew to have to continue in the classroom, to Mr. P to have to teach in the classroom, and ESPECIALLY to the other students in the class who are not at the center of the controversy. If my child was in the class, I would have requested a transfer myself to ensure that my child had the best learning environment.

The administration should have moved more quickly to avoid the distraction, but it also should have advised the parents of the move.

Paul - what has the administration done to protect Matthew from the harrassment he is still receiving? I would imagine that they would have an affirmative duty to protect Matthew, and any type of harrassment would fall under the "zero tolerance" policy that the school supposedly maintains. I imagine that if a few suspensions were handed out to those doing the harrassing, the harrassing would stop rather quickly (albeit begrudgingly).

I am actually quite surprised that it's taken this long.  This matter became such a large issue that it must have become some sort of distraction in the classroom.  And even if the distraction was minor, it was unfair to Matthew to have to continue in the classroom, to Mr. P to have to teach in the classroom, and ESPECIALLY to the other students in the class who are not at the center of the controversy.  If my child was in the class, I would have requested a transfer myself to ensure that my child had the best learning environment.

The administration should have moved more quickly to avoid the distraction, but it also should have advised the parents of the move.

Paul - what has the administration done to protect Matthew from the harrassment he is still receiving?  I would imagine that they would have an affirmative duty to protect Matthew, and any type of harrassment would fall under the "zero tolerance" policy that the school supposedly maintains.  I imagine that if a few suspensions were handed out to those doing the harrassing, the harrassing would stop rather quickly (albeit begrudgingly).

They do have that duty. At a minimum, they should have addressed it as a school-wide matter, which is what it is. Instead, they tried to treat it as though it was business as usual, which it is not. They'd like this to go away, but they can't just wish it away.

As far as I know, the administration didn't do anything wrong!

Didn't you read what you replied to? Here, try again, and read this time:

...the latest round of abuse Matthew has endured as a result of students thinking he was responsible for the transfers was avoidable had the administration planned for it, notified eveyone properly and tried to defuse the situation in advance. The students are upset because they draw unwarranted conclusions on the basis of no knowledge...However, given their past behavior this was predictable, and the administration should have acted accordingly.

He didn't attack Mr. P. He called Mr. P on another of _his_ attacks on the science curriculum and his continuing misinformation. Paszkiewicz brings it on himself by continuing to say retarded things.

If you read the actual circumstances that led to Paul LaClair's latest tirade against Mr. P's WWII/Propagand lecture, you will see that Mr. P's words and illustrations have again been bastardized and miscontrued by Paul. It appears that you have once again skewed the situation - you've heard/seen what you want to rather than what's real. Mr. P. did not attack science or the media, and neither did he voice "retarded misinformation" in that classroom.

Also, Mr. P did not "push for random students to leave the class". He did not request ANY students be removed from his class. He switched classes with the other teacher.

How can he possibly teach when everything he says may be twisted by those who have chosen to make him their adversary? I believe that the request to change classes was made in the best interest of the students in his original class, who have definitely been effected by the controversy.

He didn't attack Mr. P. He called Mr. P on another of _his_ attacks on the science curriculum and his continuing misinformation. Paszkiewicz brings it on himself by continuing to say retarded things.

Yes, and what is fascinating is that in his letter to the Observer this past week Mr. Paszkiewicz admits all of the facts backing up Matthew's statement to the letter. He admits using reports of global warming to illustrate Hitler's big lie principle. In his mind, perhaps, he didn't "mean it that way." But that's what he said, and as a teacher, we --- the community --- need him to understand that. Instead, he admits the facts but denies the inescapable conclusion. That's how deep his biases are. They're so deep that he can't even hear himself.

There are several things wrong with the comparison he made:

1. Global warming is not a lie. In fact, on the same day he made those remarks, another teacher was showing "An Inconvenient Truth." 113 nations just issued a statement acknowledging that it is a fact and a danger. Scientists all over the world agree that the evidence in support of global warming is compelling.

2. Hitler was a politician. The media are merely reporting scientific findings, which is what brings science inescapably into the picture. The comparison is irresponsible, but fits perfectly in line with the radical right view of the media as conspirators --- with the exception of Fox, of course.

3. This was the second time in the semester that he used Hitler to disparage a science he does not agree with. That reflects a set of radical biases that are not consistent with his job as a history teacher. The classroom is a vehicle for teaching. It's not his personal soap box.

4. Regarding his comments on the Ice Age, he again reveals himself to be scientifically illiterate, as the astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson said in his letter to the New York Times about Mr. Paszkiewicz. When a possible Ice Age was being discussed in the 1970s, scientists were in the early stages of collecting data on climate changes that applications of human technology were causing. They knew that climate patterns were destabilizing, but did not know in which direction this would lead. Mr. Paszkiewicz made it sound as though all of this could simply be ignored because global warming and an Ice Age sound as though they are on opposite ends of a spectrum. However, scientists have also explained that global warming could eventually lead to an Ice Age. Humans have never observed this before, and our scientists are still gathering information; that does mean that we can just point our fingers and laugh at all the silly scientists who haven't figured it all out yet. They're working on it as best they can. That's how science works. The point is that the world's climate is being disrupted by human activity. That's why it's an inconvenient truth, which right-wingers especially don't seem to wish to hear. The evidence, however, is overwhelming. One would think that Mr. Paszkiewicz would have learned that he is not qualified to dismiss science, or even comment on it in class, but apparently that is not the case.

Yes, and what is fascinating is that in his letter to the Observer this past week Mr. Paszkiewicz admits all of the facts backing up Matthew's statement to the letter. He admits using reports of global warming to illustrate Hitler's big lie principle. In his mind, perhaps, he didn't "mean it that way." But that's what he said, and as a teacher, we --- the community --- need him to understand that. Instead, he admits the facts but denies the inescapable conclusion. That's how deep his biases are. They're so deep that he can't even hear himself.

There are several things wrong with the comparison he made:

1. Global warming is not a lie. In fact, on the same day he made those remarks, another teacher was showing "An Inconvenient Truth." 113 nations just issued a statement acknowledging that it is a fact and a danger. Scientists all over the world agree that the evidence in support of global warming is compelling.

2. Hitler was a politician. The media are merely reporting scientific findings, which is what brings science inescapably into the picture. The comparison is irresponsible, but fits perfectly in line with the radical right view of the media as conspirators --- with the exception of Fox, of course.

3. This was the second time in the semester that he used Hitler to disparage a science he does not agree with. That reflects a set of radical biases that are not consistent with his job as a history teacher. The classroom is a vehicle for teaching. It's not his personal soap box.

4. Regarding his comments on the Ice Age, he again reveals himself to be scientifically illiterate, as the astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson said in his letter to the New York Times about Mr. Paszkiewicz. When a possible Ice Age was being discussed in the 1970s, scientists were in the early stages of collecting data on climate changes that applications of human technology were causing. They knew that climate patterns were destabilizing, but did not know in which direction this would lead. Mr. Paszkiewicz made it sound as though all of this could simply be ignored because global warming and an Ice Age sound as though they are on opposite ends of a spectrum. However, scientists have also explained that global warming could eventually lead to an Ice Age. Humans have never observed this before, and our scientists are still gathering information; that does mean that we can just point our fingers and laugh at all the silly scientists who haven't figured it all out yet. They're working on it as best they can. That's how science works. The point is that the world's climate is being disrupted by human activity. That's why it's an inconvenient truth, which right-wingers especially don't seem to wish to hear. The evidence, however, is overwhelming. One would think that Mr. Paszkiewicz would have learned that he is not qualified to dismiss science, or even comment on it in class, but apparently that is not the case.

Is your backround in science? Or are you a lawyer?

I though you were a lawyer!

If you are a lawyer where do you get off in telling someone what they believe or their opinion is wrong? Or they are scientifically illiterate as you said. If you are such an expert in science please shows us all of your credentials IN SCIENCE, please.

That is a shame that Matt is getting another round of abuse when you are the one responsible with your latest attack on Mr. P. regarding "the big lie".

The way I see it is- they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

Please please tell us Paul, if you where notified, how would you have played it out?

Good question, but still no answer from Paul. Looks like Paul's game plan is a "catch 22".

If you read the actual circumstances that led to Paul LaClair's latest tirade against Mr. P's WWII/Propagand lecture, you will see that Mr. P's words and illustrations have again been bastardized and miscontrued by Paul. It appears that you have once again skewed the situation - you've heard/seen what you want to rather than what's real. Mr. P. did not attack science or the media, and neither did he voice "retarded misinformation" in that classroom.

He compared global warming to dishonest propaganda. If that's not misinformation, what is?

Also, Mr. P did not "push for random students to leave the class".  He did not request ANY students be removed from his class.  He switched classes with the other teacher.

Yes, I have more info now. I think the blog was a bit ambiguous, and it sounded to me like it was about a few students and not a whole class. However, it stands that it was Paszkiewicz who requested the switch, so you're wrong about that.

How can he possibly teach when everything he says may be twisted by those who have chosen to make him their adversary?

(A better question is "How can he possibly teach when he is apparently so uninformed about the very subject he teaches?")

Oh, please. He's the one running his mouth. It's obvious he's part of the 'scientist conspiracy' mindset--his statements about evolution and now about global warming make that abundantly clear. He's a kook, plain and simple. Notwithstanding his apparent incompetence with history, he should stick to it, rather than blabbering about stuff he doesn't know the least bit about (at least, stuff he doesn't know the least bit about that he's not being assigned to teach). Anyone who would continually do that should be continually called on it.

I believe that the request to change classes was made in the best interest of the students in his original class, who have definitely been effected by the controversy.

If you were paying attention, you would know that Paul's problem with that was not that it occurred (though again I express pity for the class that is now being taught by that nutjob), but with the fact that it was done suddenly and without notice, which led to a bunch of kids accusing Matthew of being behind it and getting mad at him for no reason. If the board had used their heads, that wouldn't have happened. Just a bit of notice is all Paul would have wanted.