Commercial Parking Under 280!

Guest Baba

Hey whats up fellow Harrisonians. Can someone help me out with this.

I live on John street and sometimes I am forced to park underneath 280 between Cleveland Ave and Hamilton Ave. Why is it that the town allows commerical parking to take place their every day of the week? I am talking trucks from all over the place including diffrent towns in Harrison and even NYC? They don't even have parking permits. Aside from taking up tax payer parking they are making that are look beat up and run down with their piece of garbage trucks. Anyone have the ear of someone who could do something? I know East Newark does not allow any of the crap to go on? Whats up with Harrison?

Hey whats up fellow Harrisonians.  Can someone help me out with this.

I live on John street and sometimes I am forced to park underneath 280 between Cleveland Ave and Hamilton Ave.  Why is it that the town allows commerical parking to take place their every day of the week?  I am talking trucks from all over the place including diffrent towns in Harrison and even NYC?  They don't even have parking permits.  Aside from taking up tax payer parking they are making that are look beat up and run down with their piece of garbage trucks.  Anyone have the ear of someone who could do something?  I know East Newark does not allow any of the crap to go on?  Whats up with Harrison?

I think that's the lot that TP. has designated for commercial parking without permits. That's what I was told and the reason I park my truck in there.

Hey whats up fellow Harrisonians.  Can someone help me out with this.

I live on John street and sometimes I am forced to park underneath 280 between Cleveland Ave and Hamilton Ave.  Why is it that the town allows commerical parking to take place their every day of the week?  I am talking trucks from all over the place including diffrent towns in Harrison and even NYC?  They don't even have parking permits.  Aside from taking up tax payer parking they are making that are look beat up and run down with their piece of garbage trucks.  Anyone have the ear of someone who could do something?  I know East Newark does not allow any of the crap to go on?  Whats up with Harrison?

IT'S CALLED "PAYOFFS" MAYBE IF YOU GREASE THE MAYORS HANDS, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO PARK YOUR TRUCK FROM NYC THERE TOO....

Stupid, not everyone who lives in town works in town and gets to ride a town vehicle all day and park in the town lot every night. Some people WHO LIVE IN TOWN have to drive work vehicles to and from work every day and have NOWHERE to park. Before the current ordinance went into effect they were all parked on the streets and I'm sure that looked a LOT worse than trucks parked in a parking lot. Get a life!

Not exactly why Harrison would allow any of Tax Payers Parking spots as designated for "commercial". Do they not know that we have a huge parking need? Why should Harrison House trucks that nothing to do with the town? If it was Harrison Trucks or Cop cars I might understand. Trucks from South Plainfield, NYC, and others makes no sense at all. I guess I should make a stink.

Not exactly why Harrison would allow any of Tax Payers Parking spots as designated for "commercial".  Do they not know that we have a huge parking need?  Why should Harrison House trucks that nothing to do with the town?  If it was Harrison Trucks or Cop cars I might understand.  Trucks from South Plainfield, NYC, and others makes no sense at all.  I guess I should make a stink.

it won't do you any good to make a stink, unless you have money to put in the politicians pockets....

Stupid, not everyone who lives in town works in town and gets to ride a town vehicle all day and park in the town lot every night.  Some people WHO LIVE IN TOWN have to drive work vehicles to and from work every day and have NOWHERE to park.  Before the current ordinance went into effect they were all parked on the streets and I'm sure that looked a LOT worse than trucks parked in a parking lot.  Get a life!

I am not sure if this was directed towards me but Get a life??

Relax online tough guy. I dont care if you are anyone else has to drive a commercial truck. If you do why dont you pay for parking. I dont pay taxes for your company to house cars in my town. I am going to press the town council on this and get some answers. Thanks for the replies.

Guest Harrison OK

Imagine if the people in this town would show each other just a little courtesy.

The truth is this is a blue collar, middle class, working class town. People who live in this town work for a living at jobs that utilize trucks. Fact. They need to park. This town is overcrowded for the living space that is afforded. The streets are narrow - this is an old town. I park my truck under 280. Where else would you have me park? In front of your house maybe?

Far too many people in this town lack a sense of courtesy.

I can not even park in front my own house, and I own and pay it's taxes. Many trucks park there though. Sometimes they get ticketed, most times not. I don't call the police, I share the same problem. Many of my "neighbors " probably have. Just as they did for my truck. I choose not to risk paying fine after fine.

My family has lived here for many generations. I like this town. My situation will change. I will move. Until then I live with people without any courtesy.

Not exactly why Harrison would allow any of Tax Payers Parking spots as designated for "commercial".  Do they not know that we have a huge parking need?  Why should Harrison House trucks that nothing to do with the town?  If it was Harrison Trucks or Cop cars I might understand.  Trucks from South Plainfield, NYC, and others makes no sense at all.  I guess I should make a stink.

It seems you don't understand anything ... what makes you think it is not tax payers parking there?? Plenty of tax payers drive work vehicles from out of town and have no where to park them over night. And for the simple reason that they ARE tax payers there should be somewhere for them to park over night! It makes perfect sense if you'd just step back and take a look at the situation from someone else's perspective!

Here is all I see. I see a bunch of people dropping off trucks and then some other person comes and picks these people up? Do they live in Harrison? How can it be that I see 3 or 4 Sears vans under 280?? Let me guess all of these people live in Harrison. How conveniant that we all live and work in the same place! I could understand one truck of each company but three or 4 of each is out of control. Let Sears pay for Parking!! They make enough money.

Here is all I see.  I see a bunch of people dropping off trucks and then some other person comes and picks these people up?  Do they live in Harrison?  How can it be that I see 3 or 4 Sears vans under 280?? Let me guess all of these people live in Harrison.  How conveniant that we all live and work in the same place!  I could understand one truck of each company but three or 4 of each is out of control.  Let Sears pay for Parking!!  They make enough money.

If that is truly the case, then by all means make a stink. That is not right. But if the case for most people is like the guy above who lives in town and pays taxes and needs to park his truck at night, then by all means he deserves to park his truck there.

Town Ordinance should not allow commercial trucks parked in residential parking areas. These trucks should be parked in privately owned lots and not in free or residential spots. This unfortunately is a cost of their doing business. Why should I have to be inconvenienced by someone else who is making money parking in my spot????

Town Ordinance should not allow commercial trucks parked in residential parking areas.  These trucks should be parked in privately owned lots and not in free or residential spots.  This unfortunately is a cost of their doing business.  Why should I have to be inconvenienced by someone else who is making money parking in my spot????

Wow I couldnt have said it any better. The point of all of this is, should I tell all my friends who have trucks to come and park under 280? The trucks parked there have no sticker or emblem stating that they are Harrison Residents.

Also I know that people are abusing this by dropping people off and then driving them to their houses somewhere else in NJ.

Wow I couldnt have said it any better.  The point of all of this is, should I tell all my friends who have trucks to come and park under 280?  The trucks parked there have no sticker or emblem stating that they are Harrison Residents. 

Also I know that people are abusing this by dropping people off and then driving them to their houses somewhere else in NJ.

it is just like the handicaped spaces they park their cars on the regular space and they move the vehicle as soon as the car with the regular plate come home, and if we have to park in a metter we have to put money in, dosen't make sence to me, if you are going to park a truck anywhere at least pay for the permit as same as the out of town workers $30.00 a year.

it is just like the handicaped spaces they park their cars on the regular space and they move the vehicle as soon as the car with the regular plate come home, and if we have to park in a metter we have to put money in, dosen't make sence to me, if you are going to park a truck anywhere at least pay for the permit as same as the out of town workers $30.00 a year.

Better yet let the cops, fireman and town hall workers park under there. Then a town van or bus could take them to their workplaces. The lots there would be well patrolled because our police oficers would have their personal police cars parked their! Only problem I see is Economy Harware wold loose heir free (town taxpayer sponsored) parking lot.

The best thing is that NONE of these commercial vehicles have any time of Town sticker on them at all. Yet if my car didnt have a resident parking permit it would get a ticket??

How in the hell does this make any sense??

I am going to start calling companies all around the area and telling them I have free parking for them. Why not lets just screw everyone.

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

what about the vans that park on the street that are commercial. and dont have commercial tags and are being used for commercial taking up spaces so i have no were to park so i go under 280 and it is the same thing no parking because of trucks. i work to but i dont bring my truck home.

Guest Guest

The condition of the lots under 280 are terrible. The parking line are faded. Garbage all over because of dirt bags. Not one garbage can. Oil all over the place because of unkept cars. Then big dirty banged up work vans all over that dont even know how to park. Its really sad that people like me try to keep the town looking clean and then you have the administration doing pretty much nothing to help the situation. That parking lot could be very nice with just a tiny bit of effort and enforcement of rules. Ohh well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Someone from the street department should bring this up. Why not paint the lines and enforce some sort of laws. Make Harrison nice not Dumpey!! The street clean 2 times under 280. Why not get some white paint and spruce the place up a bit? Any answers?

Guest Guest

What about all of the Out of State Plates. We all know that they live here in Harrison, but they register their cars out of state, due to the fact that it is cheaper for car insurance. Where are their resident stickers. No where, no tickets on their vechiles either.

Guest Guest
Someone from the street department should bring this up.  Why not paint the lines and enforce some sort of laws.  Make Harrison nice not Dumpey!!  The street clean 2 times under 280. Why not get some white paint and spruce the place up a bit?  Any answers?

That would involve the D. P. W. actually doing some WORK!

Guest Guest

I really cant believe that answer is that simple. A little bit of enforcement and maybe just maybe a new paint or some cleanup would make the place look nice. I actually saw a huge work van with ladders on top of it that took up two spots. So the person that parks there will have huge ladders with chains on top of their car!! What is that?? Doesnt anyone in the mayors office read this board? Can we get some help over this very simple problem??

Guest Guest
I really cant believe that answer is that simple.  A little bit of enforcement and maybe just maybe a new paint or some cleanup would make the place look  nice.  I actually saw a huge work van with ladders on top of it that took up two spots.  So the person that parks there will have huge ladders with chains on top of their car!! What is that?? Doesnt anyone in the mayors office read this board?  Can we get some help over this very simple problem??

If you were mayor, would you read this board? I wouldn't. However I would read and listen to ALL complaints. The mayor and council should have at least email addresses where they can receive complaints (or maybe the odd compliment).