Wait Till You Hear This

Guest It cant be true

Guest It cant be true

I just learned that when you call 911 you get a dispatcher in Jersey City who takes your information then they send you to the kearny police which then call the ambulance squad or the fire department. Thats alot of phone calls. Is this delay needed? what are we doing savingmoney instead of savings property or lives!

Guest Guest

you just found that out!!!! it has been like that for the last couple of years. the calls go to the sheriff's 911 then back to the town. killing response time..............

Guest what is being done?

So is the mayor, or the chief of police, or the chief of the fire department or the new head of the ambulance doing anything about this? Im sure people have lost their life or thousands of dollers in property because of this!!! My guess is if I call 911 to report a fire it has to be over five minutes before the fire department gets notified!

Guest sinceyou mentioned CHIEF

who is the chief of the fire department? Does he play an active roll in the department or is he a 6 figure rotating door kinda guy? Has he got the department better equipment more men? I havent heard a thing about him, take a look at Chief of Police what a great job he is doing. I can tell the chief of police cares about this town and his men.

Guest Guest 99
you just found that out!!!! it has been like that for the last couple of years. the calls go to the sheriff's 911 then back to the town. killing response time..............

For everyones safety set up your home phone like many cell phones are being programmed? Make "9" on the speed dial your 911 caller.

Guest BARNEY

Good idea you just saved me 2 digits............ how about the extra 3-4 minutes when there is a burgaler in my house........"please hold let me transfer you to someone else"

Guest Guest

I highly recommend calling the Departments direct:

KPD 998-1313

KFD 991-1400

Add these to your speed dial, and at least the call is in the same town.

Please remember. 911 was designed to provide people with an emergency number to call if they are in an unfamiliar area. Everyone should know the police and fire department's direct lines in their municipalities. Calling 911 always adds an extra dispatcher (at least) to the emergency response process.

The major problem in Kearny is, when a fire is reported through 911, the police check it out first before calling the FD. That extra 3-5 minutes can result in loss of life and property. The KPD really should change their SOP's to immediately contact the FD when these calls come in.

Guest ?911?
The major problem in Kearny is, when a fire is reported through 911, the police check it out first before calling the FD. That extra 3-5 minutes can result in loss of life and property. The KPD really should change their SOP's to immediately contact the FD when these calls come in.

The police dispatchers when called about fires notify the fd at the same time they are sending their cars ...they dont wait untill the cars get there...

as someone who has worked in emergency services for 20 years i am very familiar with the 911 system. Yes there is a central 911 recieving operator who is located in jersey city. The time delay in dispatching the appropriate emergency units wheather it is fire police or ems is negligable. Hudson county is equipped whith enhanced 911 what this means is if you pick up a phone anywhere in hudson county the 911 operator has the location of that phone displayed to him. So if you should be disconnected for any reason the dispatcher will be able to send some type of help to you. The main reason it is done centrally at the county level and not in the individual munincipality is the cost of the equipment and the training of the individual dispatchers is prohibative. On average from the time you pick up the phone and dial 911 to the time help is dispatched is about 2mins. whic is the norm.

Yes you should know the numbers for you local police and fire depts but no you should not use them in a true emergency. Sometimes those numbers are not answered in an expiedient timely mannor. and before all the police officers and fire fighters get up in arms that is not a criticism of those depts.

Guest Guest
as someone who has worked in emergency services for 20 years i am very familiar with the 911 system. Yes there is a central 911 recieving operator who is located in jersey city. The time delay in dispatching the appropriate emergency units wheather it is fire police or ems is negligable. Hudson county is equipped whith enhanced 911 what this means is if you pick up a phone anywhere in hudson county the 911 operator has the location of that phone displayed to him. So if you should be disconnected for any reason the dispatcher will be able to send some type of help to you. The main reason it is done centrally at the county level and not in the individual munincipality is the cost of the equipment and the training of the individual dispatchers is prohibative. On average from the time you pick up the phone and dial 911 to the time help is dispatched is about 2mins. whic is the norm.

Yes you should know the numbers for you local police and fire depts but no you should not use them in a true emergency. Sometimes those numbers are not answered in an expiedient timely mannor. and before all the police officers and fire fighters get up in arms that is not a criticism of those depts.

The "expiedient timely manner" quote is a managerial manpower issue. The FD has only 1 man doing this job & he has alot more duties than answering phone calls. They also have to use the restroom occaisionally.

My point exactly I was not criticizing either the fire dept or police dept. If for example there is a working fire in town the fire dispatcher has his hands full managing all the radio traffic from the fire. So the phone MAY go unanswered quickly.That is one reason why the initial call screening is done by a third person

Archived