Shooting in Harrison

Guest Harrisonian

Guest Harrison Warrior

What the hell is going on in Harrison.   It's getting bad here.   I lived in Harrison all my life 40 yrs   I remember growing up in the late 80'and 90' and just walking on the streets knowing everyone or even growing up on my block I know everyone.  Playing stick balls  manhunt etc     And now u can't say u know anyone on the streets and u can't let your kids play on the block at anytime of the day or night.   Dam I miss the way Harrison was.           Hate to say it but I think it's time to move out and have my kids grow up somewhere else.  I never thought those words  would come out my mouth please bring back Harrison from the 70 80 90 era 

It's a rare sight to see a Police Officer in town anymore. Everyone used to know the Officers and it appeared that there were many more Officers. How many Officers are on duty at any given time to combat the increased crime and violent crime? Are the people safe?

There used to be 63 Officers in 1998. Since then, the new Chief, who was hand picked by the politicians and did not have to take a test, did not complain when officers were forced to retire or face demotions. Now, there are 38 Officers with 3 slated to retire before the end of the year.  Everyone wants out and are looking to transfer to other depts. . Low pay, low morale, and that's why you don't see any officers patrolling.

Guest Number 1.

Blame the State of NJ who ordered the decrease in manpower in the HPD. In order to get state aid, Harrison has to adhere to their advice. It's not the Chiefs fault because he has asked for more manpower. Give him credit for dong the best he can with the available Officers.

On 8/21/2016 at 7:41 PM, Guest Guest said:

It's a rare sight to see a Police Officer in town anymore. Everyone used to know the Officers and it appeared that there were many more Officers. How many Officers are on duty at any given time to combat the increased crime and violent crime? Are the people safe?

Thank your politicians who so completely screwed up your town that the State had to step in....ALL hiring and firing has to be approved by a state Auditor.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Another Armed Robbery

A robbery was reported on Essex St. yesterday. A black make jumped out of a car and pointed a firearm at the head of a man who was with his wife in their car. Cash and jewelry were taken. Harrison has become a favorite target because they police are undermanned and nothing is being done about it. What happened to the plainclothes street crime unit that was effective in the past?

Edited by KOTW
KOTW Note: This information has not been verified by KOTW

Guest 4th warder
21 hours ago, Guest Another Armed Robbery said:

A robbery was reported on Essex St. yesterday. A black make jumped out of a car and pointed a firearm at the head of a man who was with his wife in their car. Cash and jewelry were taken. Harrison has become a favorite target because they police are undermanned and nothing is being done about it. What happened to the plainclothes street crime unit that was effective in the past?

When Harrison was in control of its own budget there was adequate policing and the crooks knew that if he pulled something they were going to be caught.  We need more police and the State should not try to make us Newark.  Our elected officials should be lobbying the State for more resources for policing at this crucial time in the history of Harrison.  Our police officers need our support with additional backup.

• 1 month later...
Guest DCA stinks

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/10/harrison_gas_attendant_robbed_at_gunpoint_in_crime.html#incart_river_home

Yet another robbery in Harrison.  The DCA needs to adequately fund the police department prior levels of officers because the town has a lot more residents and need additional officers.  The DCA with their ideas of having Newark take over our Fire Department is trying to make us Newark and we need to unite and fight to keep our Harrison a safe community both in Police and Fire Protection.  What is the Mayor doing about this?  Time to get out of your chair and go down to DCA and lobby for proper aid.  Tell Chris Christie that Mayor McDonough and Mayor Rodgers are rolling over in their graves and won't stand for this.

As many of you may have read in the news, there have been a series of armed robberies in Harrison particularly in the newly designed Redevelopment Zone near the Path Station. As a lifelong resident of Harrison I am concerned about this and more so, I am sure the new residents living in redevelopment area must be terrified. This is not good for a town that is slowly trying to attract new new residents and businesses. So far I have not seen any signs in which to deter such activity. But it could be easy, improved temporarily lighting in the area, an unmanned patrol car set up in the area, a notice that a crime has occurred on a digital message board, seeking witnesses, post a manned patrol car at night in the Bank of America drive thru area, as the town did when Murphy was a patrolman. Yes, I've lived here a long time, yet it seems now that the current Mayor and Council neglect to address any of these issues. This is serious and it's about time that something is done  before someone looses their life. This town is filthy, dull, dark, an open invitation to criminal activity. I walk to the Path station everyday, broken sidewalks, covered in bird waste, never ever cleaned by the town and never cleared of snow during the winter months. Do we have a street department? I know we do, but I don't know what they do. What are we doing about all this Mr. Fife? What about quality of life? We only hear of town employees involved in DWI incidents. This town has such potential, yet no one in this administration seems to really care, from the top, (yes You Mr. Fife) all the way down to the street worker. We pay high taxes, with little or no return. It's terrible and it's time for a change. 

Guest Harrisonian

May the developers can hire a private armed security company to supplement the Harrison Police Department.  That would help.  And yes the mayor and his side kick Doran, the police chairman, should get off their asses and go down to Trenton and get more money to hire additional police.  Jersey City just did.

Several more Officers are set to retire. You must also factor in Officers vacation days, personal days and UNLIMITED sick time. Sick time abusers get promoted rather than punished. The PBA malcontents are masters at abusing sick time. The current situation is a bare bones defeated Police Dept. always playing defense. The Police Lieutenant said the shooter by the PATH had a machine gun. A complete lack of training shows in that ignorant statement. It was probably a BB gun. Such drama, LOL!  It's a bad situation given the massive tax bills being shoved down the residents throats. Maybe the town can replace non-working cameras actual human being Police Officers some day. Getting rid of the Fire Department is a good start to eliminate waste. Political crony jobs like the Mayor's multiple $100,000+ secretaries and school system salary abuse should dealt with next. It's incompetence and greed everywhere you look in Harrison.

Guest Harrisonian

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/update-irvington-man-wanted-newark-shooting-captured-harrison-hotel

Another reason why the Department of Community Affairs should give Harrison the money it needs to bring back the number of police pre the DCA takeover of Harrison.  The scum of the earth need to be checked and captured.  Good job Fugitive task force and the Harrison Police Department.  The cameras in East Newark, I am sure helped.

The Harrison Police Department is bullied by the DCA because they have allowed themselves to be pushed around. The PBA's knees buckled about 15 years ago when a few disgruntled members sold out the department for personal gain while the younger gullible Officers blindly followed. One of the schemers even checked out permanently during the plot. Too bad!  A true labor union would never have allowed that to happen. The Harrison PBA is currently and rightfully viewed as weak, lacking credibility and unworthy of respect. The State of NJ has made the Harrison PBA it's B**ch. Adequate staffing levels are gone forever. Greed and lust for power destroyed every core principal of a real labor union and it's bargaining clout will never be regained. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, Guest Guest said:

There will be several Officers promoted at the next council meeting. Lt. ****** *** Markowski will save the people.

They are promoting Officers before they replace them with Patrolman. Who are they going to supervise? It doesn't make any sense.Too many supervisors and not enough patrolman who do the work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the FOP the savior of the Dept have a chance to battle the DCA. What happened? Their guys got demoted!!!!!!! They still didn't get the hint and were threatened with demotions or retire. I already know what you will state. It was the grand plan of the PBA. Bottom line the past and current mayor and council are unable to balance a budget.