Jump to content

Charter School


Guest Concerned Parent

Recommended Posts

It sounds racist to want the majority of children from Kearny to attend the school. It is amazing that with current events happening in this country that white privilege would be dominant in the student body. African Americans and undocumented Americans should be given immediate acceptance. The curriculum should be geared toward the teachings of Islam. Pride in diversity makes Kearny great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:38 AM, Guest Charter, charter, charter said:

I'm curious - where did you get this information?  I understood that the students were to be from Kearny (majority) and Jersey City (still haven't figured that one out) with a small (10%?) of slots for students from other areas.  I'm not doubting you, I just like to have the correct information.

Well, obviously you are correct.  Most from Kearny, a handful from Jersey City and about 35 from other areas.  (I believe the total number of students is about 350).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Concerned Parent

The BOE needs to reconsider their view on before/ after school programs. 

Working parents need help.

The Charter School offers before and after school care.

I understand some board members don't want to piss off day care owners in town.

Why worry about them, their concern should be for families of the school district. Having a two year waiting list is not help for parents who need a program now.

Parents, teachers, after school program owners and the BOE need to work this out.

Then maybe, we will have no need for a charter school

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This BOE has brought down more than just the education in town. They have stolen tax payers money too. Why not at the next board meeting we ask why they are not telling us what was in the audit from three years ago? Because they are hiding the truth. But just like anything else the truth will come out!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Babysitters
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, Guest Concerned Parent said:

The BOE needs to reconsider their view on before/ after school programs. 

Working parents need help.

The Charter School offers before and after school care.

I understand some board members don't want to piss off day care owners in town.

Why worry about them, their concern should be for families of the school district. Having a two year waiting list is not help for parents who need a program now.

Parents, teachers, after school program owners and the BOE need to work this out.

Then maybe, we will have no need for a charter school

 

Who is going to pay for this babysitting service (higher property taxes), is there enough room in the buildings for this and after school extra curricula activities?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's talk about the Unions who took big raises knowing there were limitations to what the taxpayer could afford. High paid workers will see a raise, others will see very little.

Living the past. We should be concerned  about the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Smoke & Mirrors
On 8/17/2016 at 0:45 PM, Guest Babysitters said:

Who is going to pay for this babysitting service (higher property taxes), is there enough room in the buildings for this and after school extra curricula activities?

Well, let's see, the Superintendent is cutting out teacher aides to pay the $3 million dollar tab from the charter school. She is insulting this towns intelligence, really?, the lowest paid workers in the district is going to save the BOE $3 million? How about maybe $250,000, where is the rest coming from? I guess that is why the board BA/Sec packed it in. How about having a fund raiser at the *** ********** Go-Go bar, that should bring in some big bucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leader by example. 

Anyone making $100,000 or more should volunteer to take a pay cut.

After all, most of the taxpayers don't make $100,000.

If all the top paid people took a pay cut, it would make a difference.

I hope the BOE considers it.

And I hope the BOE will consider 0% raises across the board when contracts are up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest It's a business

Lets not overlook the fact that the charter school is not opening a school out of the kindness of their hearts.  It's a business.  Plain and simple.  Businesses are in business to make money...period.  The charter school is not an NGO or private charity, it's a business.  Granted public schools have their own problems but they are established to provide and education to the community not make money.  You think things are corrupt in the public school, just wait and see what happens in the charter school.  Just think about....not public elections, not state accountability or over sight (except filing for the actual charter and not being racist in their selection of students). 

I'm sure they are very nice and the teachers are professional (maybe...maybe not who knows because there is no requirement to make records public).  My personal experience as a recent college grad is if you couldn't get a job in a public school, you get one in a charter school....... I know someone is going to comment about family member hiring family members.  At least they are family members who are known in town. NOt some hack who barely made it trough their education classes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, Guest Guest said:

Let's talk about the Unions who took big raises knowing there were limitations to what the taxpayer could afford. High paid workers will see a raise, others will see very little.

Living the past. We should be concerned  about the future.

The unions TOOK nothing.  They negotiated (or were given) small raises for the teachers and other full-time staff.  Most administrators do well financially; we all know that.  Don't forget teachers no longer receive fully paid health insurance, which goes up every year, and therefore their take home pay goes down every year.  They pay taxes too, whether it's here or in some other nearby community.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Guest It's a business said:

Lets not overlook the fact that the charter school is not opening a school out of the kindness of their hearts.  It's a business.  Plain and simple.  Businesses are in business to make money...period.  The charter school is not an NGO or private charity, it's a business.  Granted public schools have their own problems but they are established to provide and education to the community not make money.  You think things are corrupt in the public school, just wait and see what happens in the charter school.  Just think about....not public elections, not state accountability or over sight (except filing for the actual charter and not being racist in their selection of students). 

I'm sure they are very nice and the teachers are professional (maybe...maybe not who knows because there is no requirement to make records public).  My personal experience as a recent college grad is if you couldn't get a job in a public school, you get one in a charter school....... I know someone is going to comment about family member hiring family members.  At least they are family members who are known in town. NOt some hack who barely made it trough their education classes.

 

Easy to tell you are a recent college grad.  There is nothing wrong with business.  Your concern that the charter might be somehow as corrupt as some public schools since there are not under an elected boe, etc.  dont worry.  they actually have a greater accountability, the students and parents they serve.  If the students do not do as well as or better than the public schools they will fail since parents will take their kids out.  Thats the beauty of business; the market decides!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear some of my neighbors have changed their minds about sending their children to the Charter School.

So have I.

I hope people realize that this Charter School is not a private school. 

We need to work with our schools and see what can be done to improve them.

I rather see my taxes pay for the existing schools then to pay for a school that stands to make a profit on the tax payers.

We need to tell Trenton we don't need nor want this Charter School.

Why was Kearny selected anyway?

I hope this school will pass inspection

By the town for the safety of our children.

Parents please don't use this school.

I was sending my child and did my research and now I am NOT sending my child. Boycott this school.

Parents, Let's make Kearny Schools great by supporting them.

 

Edited by KOTW
KOTW Note: This information has not been verified by KOTW
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest guet guest
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I hear some of my neighbors have changed their minds about sending their children to the Charter School.

So have I.

I hope people realize that this Charter School is not a private school. 

We need to work with our schools and see what can be done to improve them.

I rather see my taxes pay for the existing schools then to pay for a school that stands to make a profit on the tax payers.

We need to tell Trenton we don't need nor want this Charter School.

Why was Kearny selected anyway?

I hope this school will pass inspection

By the town for the safety of our children.

Parents please don't use this school.

I was sending my child and did my research and now I am NOT sending my child. Boycott this school.

Parents, Let's make Kearny Schools great by supporting them.

 

Hahahahaha sure you did.  Btw, the best way to improve kearny schools is to give them some competition!    When they have to compete with the charter for the per student money maybe they will really look at the schools.  And those red herrings of after school care and closer for former lincoln students are just that, red herrings.  No parent would send their kid to a school they felt was inferior to the public schools.  Dont forget, parents talk to relatives and coworkers who live in other districts and they hear about what is offered in those other districts, etc.  some might not be as good as kearny and others are better.  Heck, many teachers move to other districts!   

And why didnt the school budget factor in a number of students going to the charter?    It was announced a years ago.  If a percent of students going there had been in the budget and then didnt go the worse would have been a surplus, much easier to deal with than a deficit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you serious! I have supported the Kearny Schools and the BOE. And they do the same things all the time. Give friends and family jobs, and don't have the teaching skills. And the schools are failing. The charter School is the answer. So more power to you, for keeping your child in the system that is failing. I will not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not keeping my child in a school system that doesn't work. The BOE is doing nothing about it. They keep hiring friends and family. And you act like people in Kearny don't  see it. Which makes me wonder, which BOE member is writing on this site.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Charter School is not competition for the school district. Because no one can compete against our great teachers.

Giving up on the district is turning your back on the students and teachers.

Some Kearny Teachers lost their jobs!

Support our schools 

Boycott the Charter School.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Charter, Charter, Charter
On August 25, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Guest Guest said:

Doesn't speak to highly of our teachers when it said our system is failing.

Good job Kearny Teachers!

Where did it "speak highly...system is failing"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Against Cifelli-Sherry
On 8/25/2016 at 10:25 AM, Guest Guest said:

Doesn't speak to highly of our teachers when it said our system is failing.

Good job Kearny Teachers!

I believe we have a failing system not because of our teacher's we have a great faculty in our School District the problem is that the Board of Education ( CIFELLI- SHERRY, McDONALD) and the Adminstration haven't given Teacher's the tools for success in the classroom. The Family and Friends network is alive and well with SECRETARY'S making $100,000 a year and Teacher's who are the heart and soul of Schools making half of that and are offering more to our students. When does it end and when do we elect people who will put our Children first and provide the Teacher's with the commitment of making them first in giving them the tools in preparing our kids for success. These people aren't the answer and the time has come to make positive change for the sake of our Faculty, and most of all  "OUR STUDENT'S"      VOTE NO TO CIFELLI-SHERRY, VOTE NO TO McDONALD Lets change Kearny Schools for the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why hate on a school that hasn't even opened yet? Why not work together? Maybe this is just what the parents and kids needed. The schools in this town were getting worse and the this BOE is a night mare. So let's see what the Charter School does for our kids, before you judge them. Lord knows we have put up with the BOE and all the B/S And they spend tax payers money on their friends and family!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2016 at 10:08 AM, Guest guest said:

Why hate on a school that hasn't even opened yet? Why not work together? Maybe this is just what the parents and kids needed. The schools in this town were getting worse and the this BOE is a night mare. So let's see what the Charter School does for our kids, before you judge them. Lord knows we have put up with the BOE and all the B/S And they spend tax payers money on their friends and family!

For God's sake, get another tune will ya? You've "put up" with the BOE?  How?  What have you done to right any wrongs? I'm sure you know nothing about the educational process in this town and you know nothing about how money is spent.  You've probably never been to a board of ed meeting and I question what you mean when you say the "schools in this town are getting worse".  What does that mean? Really, I want to know what that means. Be specific and try not to deal in broad generalizations that mean nothing but give you some great self-satisfaction. This town does not need a charter school.  It's just an opportunity for their CEO to broaden his base and make more $$$$.  Cause isn't money ALWAYS the answer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...