BOE Members Stand United for Family & Friends

Guest Against Cifelli-Sherry

I agree. All the candidates have a right to run. We need to pay attention to their message to the voters. Then we need to decide which candidates deserve our vote. Good luck to all the candidates. 

• 1 month later...

For a Board of Education with no money they are sure spending a lot of it lately. According to the Observer hiding at the bottom of the article are many spending items for a School District that had no money all of sudden PRESTO MONEY APPEARS. Troubling time lie a head for the Kearny Schools as Charter Schools will continue to expand draining more money out of PUBLIC EDUCATION and these decisions of spending money now when you don;t know what your Budget will be and reduced enrollments of students going to CHARTER SCHOOLS could result in TEACHER, STAFF LAYOFFS in the future. Pay attention PUBLIC more pain in the wallet in on the way and it didn't have to be this way if this BOARD had went threw with the original plan to expand the Middle School. Bad Decisions, More spending will never solve these problems. CHANGE IS SO NEEDED ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!

On 9/30/2017 at 8:55 AM, Guest Against Cifelli-Sherry said:

For a Board of Education with no money they are sure spending a lot of it lately. According to the Observer hiding at the bottom of the article are many spending items for a School District that had no money all of sudden PRESTO MONEY APPEARS. Troubling time lie a head for the Kearny Schools as Charter Schools will continue to expand draining more money out of PUBLIC EDUCATION and these decisions of spending money now when you don;t know what your Budget will be and reduced enrollments of students going to CHARTER SCHOOLS could result in TEACHER, STAFF LAYOFFS in the future. Pay attention PUBLIC more pain in the wallet in on the way and it didn't have to be this way if this BOARD had went threw with the original plan to expand the Middle School. Bad Decisions, More spending will never solve these problems. CHANGE IS SO NEEDED ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you hadn't heard that the State of nj finally came out of their stupor and realized there were a lot of school districts who were SEVERELY underfunded, Kearny being one of them.  The District received an additional $2 million sometime during the summer and have put that money to good use to avoid having to HIT up the local taxpayer.  There is great hope that the money will be repeated in the future.  So there's your explanation of the PRESTO MONEY you write about.  By the way, it was in the Observer article.  I guess you didn't have time to read the whole thing???

Will School Taxes go up next year and could the money been better used against future school property tax increases? That wasn't in the article. SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!  We will worry about the next budget next year. Lets hope you get more money next budget. Don't mislead the public into thinking they are not having to pay increased taxes they already payed their share this money came after the fact. You talk like a used car salesperson.  Tell the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Property taxes are going to increase by a significant amount in the next few years. The grossly mismanaged public  school system finances are the main culprit. The schools rank near the bottom of the barrel in academics in New Jersey. The ignorant politicians and board members abuse the taxpayers with the democratic practice of throwing  more money at the problem with no improvement. The charter school slots are reserved for the children of in-crowd patronage and nepotism parents. The neglected second class public school students will continue to suffer. Secondly, town officials are spending increasingly huge amounts of taxpayer money on hiring and promoting the seldom utilized, poorly trained, uneducated Kearny Firefighters. The KFD is a patronage and nepotism mill with low as you can go standards, excessive salaries and a top heavy structure of Captains and Battalion Chiefs that do not live in Kearny. The Chief alone makes over $200,000! Current residents need to look elsewhere for a place to live because property taxes are a runaway train in Kearny.

16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Property taxes are going to increase by a significant amount in the next few years. The grossly mismanaged public  school system finances are the main culprit. The schools rank near the bottom of the barrel in academics in New Jersey. The ignorant politicians and board members abuse the taxpayers with the democratic practice of throwing  more money at the problem with no improvement. The charter school slots are reserved for the children of in-crowd patronage and nepotism parents. The neglected second class public school students will continue to suffer. Secondly, town officials are spending increasingly huge amounts of taxpayer money on hiring and promoting the seldom utilized, poorly trained, uneducated Kearny Firefighters. The KFD is a patronage and nepotism mill with low as you can go standards, excessive salaries and a top heavy structure of Captains and Battalion Chiefs that do not live in Kearny. The Chief alone makes over $200,000! Current residents need to look elsewhere for a place to live because property taxes are a runaway train in Kearny.

I agree! Next election it's time to vote this administration out! 

Guest Proud Immigrant

I noticed campaign signs are out for the school board election. I also noticed there is different  candidates running. 

Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of " Hometown Leadership and integrity ".

There was no integrity when you hired family and friends. When you don't embrace that your "hometown " has changed. 

This campaign sloan is right up there with "Make America Great Again".

I am an immigrant and a US Citizen.

I moved to Kearny many years ago and bought a house here. I always felt welcomed and proud of Kearny.

That sign does not make me feel welcomed in Kearny. Will you care about my children or just "hometown kids".

You seemed to be concerned about hometown people.

Well, I am a hometown person. Kearny is my home also. This has really made me angry and sad.

I am voting for the other candidates. 

I urge my neighbors to do the same.

Guest Hometown Proud
10 hours ago, Guest Proud Immigrant said:

I noticed campaign signs are out for the school board election. I also noticed there is different  candidates running. 

Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of " Hometown Leadership and integrity ".

There was no integrity when you hired family and friends. When you don't embrace that your "hometown " has changed. 

This campaign sloan is right up there with "Make America Great Again".

I am an immigrant and a US Citizen.

I moved to Kearny many years ago and bought a house here. I always felt welcomed and proud of Kearny.

That sign does not make me feel welcomed in Kearny. Will you care about my children or just "hometown kids".

You seemed to be concerned about hometown people.

Well, I am a hometown person. Kearny is my home also. This has really made me angry and sad.

I am voting for the other candidates. 

I urge my neighbors to do the same.

Your argument makes no sense.  Hometown means "born and raised" AND STILL HERE.  Still caring about their hometown and trying to make it as best as possible for EVERYONE who lives here.  And by the way, we are ALL immigrants here , some first generation and some a bit further back.  I don't know why this makes you feel not welcomed.  It should make you feel more welcomed that people who have lived here all their lives have not abandoned their home town (as many have done), and continue to work for ALL Kearny's residents.

This group loves to insult other people.

Kearny is made up primarily of peoplewho came from other towns.

So these candidates believe that they are more qualified to serve on the board because they are born and raised in Kearny. I think not. Mrs. Paris, if you had integrity you would not be running for the board. Sounds like sour apples because of your lost.

Someone answer why Paris lost and her two best friends and running mates won by larger margins.  Ballot Position?

Think not. Mrs. Paris, how does it feel to be used?

Guest Concerned Taxpayer

They're not concerned about the people.

They're concerned about the family and friends they got jobs. They were born raised and still live here and think they're entitled.  To win this election they will add more people to the payroll.

You talk about be an immigrant and living in town, let's talk about the real issue. This group has made a lot of money off this town and continues to make money. If I made a load of dough from town I would stick around too.

Working for ALL people, Bull.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest this is my hometown

regardless of what happens in the end,  we are still going to hire our sons and daughters over your sons and daughters.  i saw the candidate list at my interview from across the table and it said the names of people that the candidates were related to.  I don't think I would have gotten the job if my aunt didn't work in the school system.  Best part is I never have to look for a job again and my retirement is set.  I just hope I can make the schools a little better for your kids.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:02 PM, Guest this is my hometown said:

regardless of what happens in the end,  we are still going to hire our sons and daughters over your sons and daughters.  i saw the candidate list at my interview from across the table and it said the names of people that the candidates were related to.  I don't think I would have gotten the job if my aunt didn't work in the school system.  Best part is I never have to look for a job again and my retirement is set.  I just hope I can make the schools a little better for your kids.

It still doesn't make it right and I to hope you will make it not just a little better but a lot better for our kids. Please don't lower standards by using LITTLE because that is the reason our Schools are failing.

9 hours ago, Guest Parent said:

It still doesn't make it right and I to hope you will make it not just a little better but a lot better for our kids. Please don't lower standards by using LITTLE because that is the reason our Schools are failing.

Got any proof that Kearny schools are failing? Would love to read your statistics!

On 10/21/2017 at 6:03 PM, Guest Guest said:

Got any proof that Kearny schools are failing? Would love to read your statistics!

If there not failing tell us how they are not????

Majority of Kearny's school ranking are horrible! Time for a change! 

Garfield Elementary School – 4 rating out of 10

Schuyler Elementary School- 4 rating out of 10

Washington Elementary School-4 rating out of 10

Kearny High School-3 rating out of 10

Franklin Elementary School-3 rating out of 10

Lincoln Elementary School- 3 rating out of 10

Roosevelt Elementary School- 3 rating out of 10

Based on greatschools.org

Guest Stick To Facts
On October 27, 2017 at 5:05 PM, Guest Kenny said:

You should have read the site's disclaimer regarding their scoring process.

GreatSchools ratings follow a 1-10 scale, where 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest. Ratings at the lower end of the scale (1-3) signal that the school is “below average,” 4-7 indicate “average,” and 8-10 are “above average.” Each rating has its own color corresponding to this scale, ranging from green (10) to yellow to orange (1) to help you see the distinctions.

*TX, FL, NY, GA, IL, NJ, NC, MI, OH, MA, CO, IN, WI, KY, OK, HI, DE and DC

Since the website has a disclaimer stating that the data will vary based upon the information that the organization has access to, there can't be an equal comparison.  By their own logic, a 4-7 rating indicates an “average" school.  If you want to claim facts, try starting with the NJDOE's data.  You'll see our schools aren't horrible.

The NJ DOE website is a far superior site to search for each individual school's ratings and accomplishments.  The Great Schools website has realized their synopsis needs expansion and is now planning to totally revamp their analysis of schools by going beyond standardized test scores with more emphasis on equity, access to advanced coursework and even disciplinary issues at individual schools. Pages for individual schools will also include data about how much a school is contributing to students' progress year-to-year and how many of its students participate in advanced coursework.

Accessing information from the NJ DOE  analysis is far superior and more accurate than an unexplained number rating from a national organization with very little statistical information supporting their "scores".  If you just want to ASSUME that Kearny's schools are failing, that's one thing.  But you should do a little bit more homework before making such a broad, inconclusive statement.   

Guest Supporter of KIDS
On 10/31/2017 at 8:32 PM, Guest Stick To Facts said:

You should have read the site's disclaimer regarding their scoring process.

GreatSchools ratings follow a 1-10 scale, where 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest. Ratings at the lower end of the scale (1-3) signal that the school is “below average,” 4-7 indicate “average,” and 8-10 are “above average.” Each rating has its own color corresponding to this scale, ranging from green (10) to yellow to orange (1) to help you see the distinctions.

*TX, FL, NY, GA, IL, NJ, NC, MI, OH, MA, CO, IN, WI, KY, OK, HI, DE and DC

Since the website has a disclaimer stating that the data will vary based upon the information that the organization has access to, there can't be an equal comparison.  By their own logic, a 4-7 rating indicates an “average" school.  If you want to claim facts, try starting with the NJDOE's data.  You'll see our schools aren't horrible.

Don't try to change the narrative there is no mention that the Schools are horrible. What is horrible are the decisions that were made by a VISCUSO led Board of Education that spent money on non educational projects when this money could have been used to better prepare our students in not just making our schools below average but a model school district that invests in results. The Teachers Union is blind to what these candidates VISCUSO and PARIS stand for and will just go along to get along without correcting the much needed attention of giving Quality Education to our kids based on the amount of HIGH SCHOOL TAXES that we pay that we don't receive now. Please consider voting for the HILL, DAVIDSON TEAM this TUESDAY,  With no FAMILY or FRIENDS working in the School District I truly believe they are for making our Students better Citizens and preparing them for the FUTURE.

• 4 weeks later...

I am reading the post on FB about the trailers at the high school. People are happy  they are leaving. But, the questions remain why were they there so many years? And why did the construction pick up pace over the last couple of years? 

Paris and Viscuso would have people believe they are responsible for the picked up pace, When in reality they caused the delay. Viscuso introduces a motion to fire the construction co. And Paris voted to fire the Superintendent  just minutes on the board. And people  reelected them. If you voted them you must like paying more in taxes and seeing your money wasted.

People of Kearny  wake up!

We cheer the trailers are leaving.

We should be crying about the money wasted on this project.

• 11 months later...
On 10/27/2017 at 5:05 PM, Guest Kenny said:

This is what Family and Friends has produced for the Children of Kearny.

• 2 years later...
Guest Kearny Resident

Interesting post on Kearny Board of Education and how the Cifelli family has a lot of family working for the town.  No wonder they are supporting their puppet Mayor Alberto Santos to stay in Mayor's seat so they can continue to cash in on the Board of Education and not get called out on the poor management of the Board of Education.  The two councilman who stood up against it are no longer on the Council.  All Yes votes with one exception with Developer shows how if you step out of line against Cifelli clan you are abused until you decide you don't need the abuse.

• 1 month later...
Guest KearnyOnMyMind
On 7/8/2016 at 4:55 PM, Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda said:

I am Barbara Cifelli-Sherry's daughter and I am not hiding behind a nameless banner, as many of the previous posters have done! It is very easy to hide behind your veil of anonymity and sling accusations, but that does not make your words true! This message is to "Watching Parent" and "Guest" regarding what my mother purportedly "did" to Mr. Landy's daughter. Let me set the scene for those that have no idea of the situation to which they allude: There were 4 BOE members that would be handing out almost 450 diplomas. Two would be giving out the girl's diplomas, and the other two would hand out the boy's. They had decided in advance that the L's would be a logical place to switch board members, as it seemed to be in the middle of the list, and because my mother's partner had a niece to whom he wanted to present the diploma. (As a note, there were more girls than boys graduating, so the two sides did not happen to switch Board members at the same time.) As the time approached, Mr. Hill signaled my mother that it was time to switch. While my mother has known the Landy family for many years, she did not know that Mike's daughter was graduating; would not have recognized her after many years of not seeing her; and had absolutely no idea that her name was the next to be called. It was not until she was returning to her seat that she heard the name and wondered if this could be Mr. Landy's daughter. You don't know my mother, but I do! She has raised 7 children, has 14 grandchildren and her fifth great-grandchild on the way. There is NO way, that she would intentionally do something to hurt or embarrass that child because of some difference of opinion between she and Mr. Landy. That is so beneath how she conducts herself, and if you know her at all, you already know that.  My mother is very proud of the reputation that she has built in this town over the years, helping many people in the process. It is disheartening to see the type of dramatic BS that gets posted when there is no accountability required! 

I'm sorry, but the same mother that you are praising is not the same Barbara Cifelli-Sherry that we all know. We have all seen your mother's FB comments, where she bullies and degrades people. She posts all over her wall about how much of a bully Donald Trump is, yet she herself conducts herself in the same manner. I would say it's even worse, because as a Progressive, she should know better. We should be setting the example. We should practicing what we preach. I'm sorry, but you obviously don't see your mother the way she portrays herself on her social media. 

Guest KearnyOnMyMind
On 3/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, Guest Kearny Resident said:

Interesting post on Kearny Board of Education and how the Cifelli family has a lot of family working for the town.  No wonder they are supporting their puppet Mayor Alberto Santos to stay in Mayor's seat so they can continue to cash in on the Board of Education and not get called out on the poor management of the Board of Education.  The two councilman who stood up against it are no longer on the Council.  All Yes votes with one exception with Developer shows how if you step out of line against Cifelli clan you are abused until you decide you don't need the abuse.

I'm voting for Sydney, and so is the rest of my family. Barbara and Paula Eclair are so rude and nasty. They have nothing but negative things to say. It's as if they are afraid that this new guy is going to expose them all. I say: Run Syd Run!