Kearny Teachers

Guest Kearny Taxpayer

Guest Kearny Taxpayer

What is the hold up on the settlement of the teacher's contract? They seem to wear red shirts to every board meeting.

They need to be reasonable in their contract demands. What is the average settlement for teachers contract around the area of Kearny?

Does anyone know?

I see taxes going up Again or layoffs coming.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to guess the teachers aren't asking for much more then keeping what they have. Don't forget the boe has tried to drop their current health care coverage twice in the recent past. Just food for thought.

Guest Cheeze

Teachers, I would imagine, aren't asking for much. They are probably more concerned with not losing anything. Don't forget the district has tried to strip them of their current health care coverage twice in the recent past.

From what I have seen teachers a getting around 3% or so. Not sure what Kearny teachers are asking for. It must be close though I would imagine.

That 3% or 2%, whatever, is of the whole, not each teacher gets that. They now group together each union or association and then have to divide it up among themselves, which usually translates into much less as individuals. The only employees receiving full percentage raises are non-union people. Lucky them! Since they pay for much of their own health insurance premiums now, and it goes up every year, I presume this offer (whatever it is) would be a net loss to each teacher. This is only my guess.

Guest THE mom

My son loves his teachers at Lincoln. I don't know what the teachers are asking for. I do try to thank them for the job they do however. I support the teachers. They have been given a hard time in the past few years.

Guest Tax payer

The district has the money.... I want to know what they are spending it on. A 2% raise in the private sector is average under the current economic conditions. Keep in mind that 2% is less then inflation. If they aren't settling the teachers contracts..... What are they spending the money on?

Guest school watcher

I hear around town the BOE has offered 2.5% for 2014, 2.5% for 2015 and 3.5% for 2016. And no change in health benefits. I also heard that the teacher's union walked away from the table. Is that True?

I hear around town the BOE has offered 2.5% for 2014, 2.5% for 2015 and 3.5% for 2016. And no change in health benefits. I also heard that the teacher's union walked away from the table. Is that True?

The two questions are, however, after everyone (except the top step) goes up a step on the salary guide, how much of those percentages is left for raises? The second question is how much higher are the health insurance premiums this year and next year etc. compared to last year? After all is said and done take home pay is probably less than the previous year even after the raise. Could this be the problem or is there something else going on?

Guest Tax payer mom

I hope that is not the case. It sounds like a decent proposal. Who exactly is in charge of the union negotiations? Do the teachers vote on the Board proposals? From what I hear the teachers have no idea what has been offered to them. Who makes the decisions? I wonder is special interest groups are involved......its wouldn't be a shock t say the least. What a shame. Its things like this that give teachers a bad reputation.

It better not be true. That would be the end of that for the union rep. Under the current climate I would be pissed if my union rep walked away from a deal like that. Just saying. I work in a construction union and we have total transparency. If we were offered that we would have a voice in the decision. We could vote on it and not leave it in the hands of a special interest minority. The teachers need to know what is being negotiated. From what I have head around town they are in the dark.

Guest Confused

How is it possible nobody knows what is being proposed or negotiated? Is there no requirement to publicly disclose these things? I have know idea so I'm asking if anyone knows.

School Watch......that sounds awfully generous. Where may I ask did you hear that. If the teachers don't even know what was offered to them, how may I ask would you know. Unless your their union rep.

I have also heard the the proposed increase would not actually be realized in thier pay. My sister teaches in another district and the difference between her Net and Gross is over 50%. 50%!!!! Imagine "making" 50K and living on 25K. Then people get mad when a teacher lives outside of the district they work in........no wonder! I made more then 25K in High School working in a deli. Imagine trying to pay for student loans on top of your everyday living expenses while only having a realized income of 25 thousand. What a shame. How can that be fixed?

The Board should go back to the old way of offering raises. Whatever the percentage offered should be on each step of the salary guide, therefore each teacher would receive that percentage in their paycheck. That's the way they do it in the private sector. In the past the school employees also received health insurance benefits. Now they have to pay for much of it themselves. I repeat, non-union employees receive the full raise (whatever it is). How discriminatory is that!

Guest TOWN OBSERVER

The problem is in the past the Teachers were given very generous contract and as a result they broke the bank with the property taxes. A now they want more from a taxpayer that can't afford it BOTTOM LINE The Teachers got GREEDY and it has got to this point where they have to pay into their Health Care and the Board having to be restricted to a 2% cap has put them in a no win position in dealing with this union. So the blame is directly on past boards of education and the KEA for spending money like drunken sailors and now that the money isn't there anymore the teachers think this board has a blank check. Those days are over changing times mean their are more bad news to come. THAT YOU CAN BLAME ON CHRIS CHRISTIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kearny Citizen

The overwhelming majority of Kearny Teachers and Firefighters would never consider actually living in Kearny. They have little regard for the financial ruin they impose on the very people who pay their overinflated salaries and benefits. Residency should be considered as well as performance in determining raises. The Teachers and Firefighters race for 280W, the Parkway and Turnpike the minute they can get out. If they lived in Kearny they wouldn't need so much gas money.

Our teachers are some of the lowest paid in the area! Which is a shame with the property taxes we pay! Where is that money really going what's the actual line by line break down! Maybe someone really needs to look into how the money is being budgeted !I don't believe they are asking to be the highest paid in the area just somewhere around the average! And I for one a life long resident, property owner and product of the Kearny school system wish them well! And hope they get a fair contract!

Guest A LOYAL DEMOCRAT

These teachers always think there so smart but are really DUMMIES because its been said by many teachers that they voted for CHRISTIE in the first term. BOY did they get a surprise when he used you then turned around and screwed you all which is why you deserve everything that's coming to you. Don;t blame the Board of Education for why you can't get a good contract blame yourselves. I seen the signs myself "EDUCATORS FOR CHRISTIE" boy did that come back to bite you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know one or two teachers in Kearny. The general feeling is that many who live outside of town do so because they can't afford to live in town. I don't think anyone likes commuting to work.