Town Council Meeting Minutes

Guest Resident

Guest Resident

Is there a reason why you can't access any of the Mayor and Council meeting minutes? Aren't they required to be on-line if a town has a website? The dates of each of the meetings are listed, but there are no minutes available.

Guest Resident

Is there a reason why you can't access any of the Mayor and Council meeting minutes? Aren't they required to be on-line if a town has a website? The dates of each of the meetings are listed, but there are no minutes available.

Found them . . . I was looking under the Mayor & Council drop-down . . . The minutes are on the right hand side of the page with a listing of other informational items . . . Should have looked a little harder!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sleepless in Kearny

Found them . . . I was looking under the Mayor & Council drop-down . . . The minutes are on the right hand side of the page with a listing of other informational items . . . Should have looked a little harder!

Look again. Those are only agendas. There is not one set of minutes because no one does them! Go ask for a set

Guest Guest

Out of curiosity, I went onto the Town's page and they ARE agendas, not minutes.

You're right. Are we to ASSUME that everything on the agenda was approved? There really should be minutes reflecting votes and action taken or not taken.

Guest Guest

They tape the meeting bit no one appears to be transcribing the minutes. I believe they are supposed to. But as usual no one minding the store. It will lead to a law suit you wait and see and more tax dollars will be spent on attorneys. This place is feally going to hell!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

They tape the meeting bit no one appears to be transcribing the minutes. I believe they are supposed to. But as usual no one minding the store. It will lead to a law suit you wait and see and more tax dollars will be spent on attorneys. This place is feally going to hell!

From what I understand, minutes HAVE to be completed, there has to be an official record of resolutions, votes, public presentations. Is this omission something new or recent? Is there a good reason that the town is no longer complying with law?

Guest Minute Man

OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS ACT – “SUNSHINE LAW”

The Law requires the public body to keep reasonably comprehensible minutes of all its meetings, showing the time and place, the members present, the subjects considered, the actions taken, the votes of each member and any other information required by law to be recorded by minutes. These minutes are to be made promptly available to the public.

When local governments do have websites, released meeting minutes should be posted. This allows greater access to the minutes by the public and is a time-saver for clerks who no longer have to fill multiple requests for meeting minutes.

So, where are they???? It's the LAW!

Guest Guest

OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS ACT – “SUNSHINE LAW”

The Law requires the public body to keep reasonably comprehensible minutes of all its meetings, showing the time and place, the members present, the subjects considered, the actions taken, the votes of each member and any other information required by law to be recorded by minutes. These minutes are to be made promptly available to the public.

When local governments do have websites, released meeting minutes should be posted. This allows greater access to the minutes by the public and is a time-saver for clerks who no longer have to fill multiple requests for meeting minutes.

So, where are they???? It's the LAW!

So, put in the OPRA request instead of bitching about it here...

Guest Guest

So, put in the OPRA request instead of bitching about it here...

Since when is asking questions bitching? I'm sorry, I thought that was the purpose of a discussion forum! The point is, Einstein, that you shouldn't have to go to the trouble (and expense) to OPRA something that, by law, should be readily available. What if you're not looking for any meeting in particular? What if you just want to keep up with what and how our elected officials are doing? The Mayor is an attorney who is more than knowledgeable about municipal law. I can't imagine why this omission appears to be permissible.