Town Hall Christmas Tree ?

Guest Guest

Easy on the drugs buddy, I don't need a middle ages history lesson. I know the history of the Christmas tree goes back to Germany, which is totally irrelevant. Over the last 20 years or so, the loony left has become obsessed with taking God out of our lives.

The Christmas tree has been wrongly targeted by the loonys as a religious symbol and therefore needs to be banned from the public arena. The Christmas tree in reality is only a symbol of the birth of Jesus. If you read Bill O'Reilly's best seller, Killing Jesus, you'll understand that Jesus was a philosopher, he wasn't a priest or Rabbi. To somehow conflate a Christmas tree with religious symbols is ridiculous. It may be easier for the mayor of Kearny to go along with the loonies and call it a holiday tree I would like to see the mayor stand up to the loonys and do the right thing.

Easy on the incense buddy. Why would the Mayor stand up to the loony Newt Gingrich? That's who your argument is with, he's the one that changed the national Christmas tree to a holiday tree. You can reach him at Fox news, fairly unbalanced.

Guest Open minded

Fair enough, and as before I appreciate your kindness; not to mention that you are one of the few people here who seems to be willing to have a real dialogue. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, before and this time. My concern has to do with the way we've twisted faith so that it means believing whatever you want to believe. Of course, people have that right but if too many people do that, we will not build or maintain a responsible society. We're seeing that now. So when you say "our faith is in our heart," if that's the only place it is, eventually we will have problems.

An open dialogue is not difficult. We cannot force our beliefs on people nor will they listen open minds if we thump them in the head. nor will non-believers diminish the faith of others with the very often venomous attacks on Christianity. I say we as a society not you and I. People who can never see another point of view or engage in an open discussion are what I call "right fighters!"

I am not a Bible reader but I think it says something in the New Testament about witnessing and sharing faith in Jesus. So if my faith is Christianity then You make a good point. My grandmother once told me never to discuss religion or politics with friends or at parties. Actually good advice. However, she never said the internet was off limits (lol,). I cannot disagree with you that society certainly does seem to be lacking in responsibility. If we contribute that to a "lack of faith" we will certainly cause a stir on here! My faith in mankind to be decent and good is what I struggle with. These days it is certainly hard to find the good sometimes! Thats what I mean I guess when I say my faith is in my heart. It is not about what I am a Christian, A Jew or a Muslim etc. Isn't it about who I am? How I live my life? I certainly am so far from perfect I need a road map to find it but I try hard to do a good deed or share a kind word with someone every day. I guess this is simple? I don't know about you but I find the extremists on both sides of this issue a bit scary. You?

If you want to be inspired about what some people say is the true meaning of Christmas watch this you tube video

http://youtu.be/HuOqedX0l2w

Easy on the drugs buddy, I don't need a middle ages history lesson. I know the history of the Christmas tree goes back to Germany, which is totally irrelevant. Over the last 20 years or so, the loony left has become obsessed with taking God out of our lives.

The Christmas tree has been wrongly targeted by the loonys as a religious symbol and therefore needs to be banned from the public arena. The Christmas tree in reality is only a symbol of the birth of Jesus. If you read Bill O'Reilly's best seller, Killing Jesus, you'll understand that Jesus was a philosopher, he wasn't a priest or Rabbi. To somehow conflate a Christmas tree with religious symbols is ridiculous. It may be easier for the mayor of Kearny to go along with the loonies and call it a holiday tree I would like to see the mayor stand up to the loonys and do the right thing.

"Jesus was a philosopher, this I know

"'Cuz Bill O'Reilly tells me so."

"Open the roof and look at the sheeple."

Oy.

Guest True Believer

I want a Kearny Board of Education Tree !!! Bring a wrapped gift, place under tree and whoa la.........a job will come your way. Merrrrrrrrryyyyyyy Christmas !!!

You may or may not benefit from history lessons but you could benefit from remedial classes in logic and reason. The issue is not whether Jesus was a philosopher of a cleric, but whether he is an object of religious worship today. Does your revered Mr. O'Reilly discuss that point?

An open dialogue is not difficult. We cannot force our beliefs on people nor will they listen open minds if we thump them in the head. nor will non-believers diminish the faith of others with the very often venomous attacks on Christianity. I say we as a society not you and I. People who can never see another point of view or engage in an open discussion are what I call "right fighters!"

I am not a Bible reader but I think it says something in the New Testament about witnessing and sharing faith in Jesus. So if my faith is Christianity then You make a good point. My grandmother once told me never to discuss religion or politics with friends or at parties. Actually good advice. However, she never said the internet was off limits (lol,). I cannot disagree with you that society certainly does seem to be lacking in responsibility. If we contribute that to a "lack of faith" we will certainly cause a stir on here! My faith in mankind to be decent and good is what I struggle with. These days it is certainly hard to find the good sometimes! Thats what I mean I guess when I say my faith is in my heart. It is not about what I am a Christian, A Jew or a Muslim etc. Isn't it about who I am? How I live my life? I certainly am so far from perfect I need a road map to find it but I try hard to do a good deed or share a kind word with someone every day. I guess this is simple? I don't know about you but I find the extremists on both sides of this issue a bit scary. You?

Extremes are in the eye of the beholder. In this culture, if you speak the truth about certain religious dogmas, you're considered an extremist.

Guest Question

You may or may not benefit from history lessons but you could benefit from remedial classes in logic and reason. The issue is not whether Jesus was a philosopher of a cleric, but whether he is an object of religious worship today. Does your revered Mr. O'Reilly discuss that point?

Why would the mayor stand up to anything? Hes just not a stand up guy. He will continue to take the easy way out as long as he runs unopposed.

Question: Does each school put up a Christmas tree, a holiday tree or no tree? They are just as public.

Good grief, is that what the big fight is going to be about now? A tree? Seriously? And to top it off, the town has a tree, decorated like a Christmas tree or a holiday tree or whatever you want to call it. What's the beef?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Board of Misfits

I want a Kearny Board of Education Tree !!! Bring a wrapped gift, place under tree and whoa la.........a job will come your way. Merrrrrrrrryyyyyyy Christmas !!!

If there ever was a Board of Ed tree, it would be the "Charlie Brown" tree because they spent all the money on lawyers .

• 11 months later...