Is a Paterson School Teacher What the Kearny Board of Education Needs?

Guest Concerned Taxpayer

Guest Concerned Taxpayer

I don't know the Board of Education candidates but, reading this week's Observer story, it concerns me that one of them Mercedes Davidson is a public school teacher in Paterson, a failing school district, who has spoken publicly at Paterson Board meetings for higher salaries for Paterson's teachers. Paterson is a special needs district where salary increases are paid by the State but Kearny is not so the Kearny taxpayer has to pick up the cost with higher taxes. This is a concern because the Kearny school district is now negotiating a new contract with teachers. I'm sure Ms. Davidson will say that she will recuse herself from negotiations but if she becomes a Board member she will have the ability to influence contract negotiations. Ms. Davidson was also part of a "teacher slowdown" in Paterson when negotiations in Paterson stalled. Here's an editorial from a Paterson newspaper. Note the comments at the end.

Paterson N.J. teachers leave students twisting in the wind

September 18, 2012

PATERSON, N.J. The teachers union in one of New Jerseys worst performing school districts is encouraging its members to put in less effort to help struggling students. The Paterson Education Association asked its members this week to refrain from coming in early or staying after school for students as a negotiating tactic in its long-running contract dispute with the district, NorthJersey.com reports.

PEA President Peter Tirri told the news site the union is trying to make the point that were tired of working without a contract. Paterson schools and the PEA are entering their third year without a new labor contract. The district is under state control because of its poor performance. Tirri contends the state-appointed superintendent of the citys schools is taking a hard line with the union during contract negotiations in response to pressure from Gov. Chris Christie, according to NorthJersey.com.

Hes looking for some kind of fight so he can get rid of us, Tirri said of the Governor.

Perhaps it would be good to get rid of Paterson teachers and their union, if theyre going to refuse to provide extra help to their already struggling students. There is no justifiable reason to punish children for disagreements between the districts adults, especially in a school system with a history of dismal student academic performance. In 2009-10, only about half of the districts students were proficient in Math, and about 64 percent in language arts, which was an improvement over previous years,state data shows.

While union officials are focused on settling a contract, school leaders were more concerned with the impact the PEAs selfish antics will have on the districts struggling students. I understand the concerns of the teachers about their contract, but I just hope it doesnt affect their work in the classroom, board member Manuel Martinez told the news site. Everyone knows that teaching is not a 9-5 job. You just cant punch in and out.

Not having a contract is a problem, but you have to work through it, said Errol Kerr, another board member. If you need to make a statement, you should find a way that doesnt affect the kids. This is squeezing our kids into a box and thats not healthy.

We certainly agree, and hope the union comes to its senses sooner rather than later. The districts students deserve teachers who are willing to help them when they need it most, whether its in class or after the bell rings.

Of course, teachers have the free will to ignore their unions orders and do the right thing by students. Perhaps the work-to-contract ploy will expose the educators who are truly dedicated to their mission, and those who are more concerned with the size of their paycheck.

Add a comment...

Karen Mullaney William Paterson University: Merc......I second that, utterly clueless!

Reply Like 1 January 24, 2013 at 3:35pm

Rosanna Mongelli-Caamano: This is a total lie!! The truth needs to be exposed!!!!

Mercedes Davidson: This article is written by someone really ignorant

Guest Guest

I don't know the Board of Education candidates but, reading this week's Observer story, it concerns me that one of them Mercedes Davidson is a public school teacher in Paterson, a failing school district, who has spoken publicly at Paterson Board meetings for higher salaries for Paterson's teachers. Paterson is a special needs district where salary increases are paid by the State but Kearny is not so the Kearny taxpayer has to pick up the cost with higher taxes. This is a concern because the Kearny school district is now negotiating a new contract with teachers. I'm sure Ms. Davidson will say that she will recuse herself from negotiations but if she becomes a Board member she will have the ability to influence contract negotiations. Ms. Davidson was also part of a "teacher slowdown" in Paterson when negotiations in Paterson stalled. Here's an editorial from a Paterson newspaper. Note the comments at the end. Paterson N.J. teachers leave students twisting in the wind September 18, 2012 PATERSON, N.J. The teachers union in one of New Jerseys worst performing school districts is encouraging its members to put in less effort to help struggling students. The Paterson Education Association asked its members this week to refrain from coming in early or staying after school for students as a negotiating tactic in its long-running contract dispute with the district, NorthJersey.com reports. PEA President Peter Tirri told the news site the union is trying to make the point that were tired of working without a contract. Paterson schools and the PEA are entering their third year without a new labor contract. The district is under state control because of its poor performance. Tirri contends the state-appointed superintendent of the citys schools is taking a hard line with the union during contract negotiations in response to pressure from Gov. Chris Christie, according to NorthJersey.com. Hes looking for some kind of fight so he can get rid of us, Tirri said of the Governor. Perhaps it would be good to get rid of Paterson teachers and their union, if theyre going to refuse to provide extra help to their already struggling students. There is no justifiable reason to punish children for disagreements between the districts adults, especially in a school system with a history of dismal student academic performance. In 2009-10, only about half of the districts students were proficient in Math, and about 64 percent in language arts, which was an improvement over previous years,state data shows. While union officials are focused on settling a contract, school leaders were more concerned with the impact the PEAs selfish antics will have on the districts struggling students. I understand the concerns of the teachers about their contract, but I just hope it doesnt affect their work in the classroom, board member Manuel Martinez told the news site. Everyone knows that teaching is not a 9-5 job. You just cant punch in and out. Not having a contract is a problem, but you have to work through it, said Errol Kerr, another board member. If you need to make a statement, you should find a way that doesnt affect the kids. This is squeezing our kids into a box and thats not healthy. We certainly agree, and hope the union comes to its senses sooner rather than later. The districts students deserve teachers who are willing to help them when they need it most, whether its in class or after the bell rings. Of course, teachers have the free will to ignore their unions orders and do the right thing by students. Perhaps the work-to-contract ploy will expose the educators who are truly dedicated to their mission, and those who are more concerned with the size of their paycheck. Add a comment... Karen Mullaney William Paterson University: Merc......I second that, utterly clueless! Reply Like 1 January 24, 2013 at 3:35pm Rosanna Mongelli-Caamano: This is a total lie!! The truth needs to be exposed!!!! Mercedes Davidson: This article is written by someone really ignorant

Sometimes I feel ashamed to live in the same town with people like you. Why don't you take your anger and your ignorance and your bad grammar and leave already. Go spread your poison someplace else. You won't be missed here.

Guest Concerned Taxpayer II

Dear Ashamed,

The original poster raised 2 important issues about Board of Ed candidate Mercedes Davidson:

1. Ms Davidson is a teachers' union member who has publicly spoken in favor of higher salaries for teachers in Paterson. In Kearny, that means higher taxes. What is her position on the current Kearny teacher salary/contract negotiations?

2. Ms Davidson engaged in a teacher slowdown in Paterson as leverage in contract negotiations, putting teachers' interests ahead of students' interests. Would she support Kearny teachers if they do the same?

I re-read the original post in this thread. I can't find a grammatical error. Even if there were an error, it still wouldn't diminish the points made. The Paterson news story could have been copied and pasted more cleanly but I can follow it. I can also follow the public comments in which Ms Davidson calls the story "really ignorant". Can you explain why?

I don't know the Board of Education candidates but, reading this week's Observer story, it concerns me that one of them Mercedes Davidson is a public school teacher in Paterson, a failing school district, who has spoken publicly at Paterson Board meetings for higher salaries for Paterson's teachers. Paterson is a special needs district where salary increases are paid by the State but Kearny is not so the Kearny taxpayer has to pick up the cost with higher taxes. This is a concern because the Kearny school district is now negotiating a new contract with teachers. I'm sure Ms. Davidson will say that she will recuse herself from negotiations but if she becomes a Board member she will have the ability to influence contract negotiations. Ms. Davidson was also part of a "teacher slowdown" in Paterson when negotiations in Paterson stalled. Here's an editorial from a Paterson newspaper. Note the comments at the end. Paterson N.J. teachers leave students twisting in the wind September 18, 2012 PATERSON, N.J. The teachers union in one of New Jerseys worst performing school districts is encouraging its members to put in less effort to help struggling students. The Paterson Education Association asked its members this week to refrain from coming in early or staying after school for students as a negotiating tactic in its long-running contract dispute with the district, NorthJersey.com reports. PEA President Peter Tirri told the news site the union is trying to make the point that were tired of working without a contract. Paterson schools and the PEA are entering their third year without a new labor contract. The district is under state control because of its poor performance. Tirri contends the state-appointed superintendent of the citys schools is taking a hard line with the union during contract negotiations in response to pressure from Gov. Chris Christie, according to NorthJersey.com. Hes looking for some kind of fight so he can get rid of us, Tirri said of the Governor. Perhaps it would be good to get rid of Paterson teachers and their union, if theyre going to refuse to provide extra help to their already struggling students. There is no justifiable reason to punish children for disagreements between the districts adults, especially in a school system with a history of dismal student academic performance. In 2009-10, only about half of the districts students were proficient in Math, and about 64 percent in language arts, which was an improvement over previous years,state data shows. While union officials are focused on settling a contract, school leaders were more concerned with the impact the PEAs selfish antics will have on the districts struggling students. I understand the concerns of the teachers about their contract, but I just hope it doesnt affect their work in the classroom, board member Manuel Martinez told the news site. Everyone knows that teaching is not a 9-5 job. You just cant punch in and out. Not having a contract is a problem, but you have to work through it, said Errol Kerr, another board member. If you need to make a statement, you should find a way that doesnt affect the kids. This is squeezing our kids into a box and thats not healthy. We certainly agree, and hope the union comes to its senses sooner rather than later. The districts students deserve teachers who are willing to help them when they need it most, whether its in class or after the bell rings. Of course, teachers have the free will to ignore their unions orders and do the right thing by students. Perhaps the work-to-contract ploy will expose the educators who are truly dedicated to their mission, and those who are more concerned with the size of their paycheck. Add a comment... Karen Mullaney William Paterson University: Merc......I second that, utterly clueless! Reply Like 1 January 24, 2013 at 3:35pm Rosanna Mongelli-Caamano: This is a total lie!! The truth needs to be exposed!!!! Mercedes Davidson: This article is written by someone really ignorant

Do you really think you're fooling anyone? You're a shill for Plaugic, the BoE's last remaining Stooge. You think Davidson is the weakest of the three running as a unified team, so you try an obvious hit job on her, trying to keep a seat for Plaugic, and distorting the Observer's story beyond all recognition. Problem (for you) is, you're lousy at it.

Your "points" range from stupid to ridiculous. Teaching in a difficult school district earns a candidate points for experience. You can't blame her for the problems in Paterson, or paint her as anti-Kearny because Paterson receives state aid that Kearny does not receive. She has nothing to do with that. She deserves credit for going there to teach kids who probably need her help, if she's any good. I would be interested in knowing why she left the Kearny school system. But that's the point: I want the truth, not spin from someone who obviously made up his mind a long time ago. She may have an excellent reason. Or not. But we're not about to get the truth from you.

Ms. Davidson has a more-than-full-time job, you say: teaching. And what, pray tell, do you call Officer Plaugic's job? Or Ms. Lindenfelser's? She's an attorney with a full-time law practice. The BoE is a part-time, unpaid position. Everyone understands that. If you want to elect people who aren't busy, you can do that but you're not likely to find many good ones, unless you get retirees to run for the BoE but not enough of them seem to want to do that. Can't imagine why they wouldn't jump at the chance to have people they don't even know smear them publicly, with or without any basis in fact.

You complain that Davidson spoke at a meeting in Paterson. What did she say? Not your spin. What did she actually say?

I could go on and on but this is ridiculous. Every time there's an election, you crawl out from under your rock to attack someone. By your own admission, you don't even know her. Go away.

I am not on the Kearny Board of Education, and I do not want to be on it. But if I was, I would want to hear from teachers on some of the issues that come before the Board.

Well, but Mercedes Davidson doesn't teach in the Kearny school system. Right. If she did, she wouldn't be eligible to run for the Board. So the only way to have an active teacher on the Board is if someone who teaches somewhere else wins a Board election.

Of course, the Board could invite Kearny teachers to express their views on certain issues. Unfortunately, Kearny can be a mean-spirited, petty little town with a lot of backbiting. This isn't the majority but the people who tend to run for local offices seem to want to guard their turf. Just an observation. So current employees might not feel free to speak honestly.

I don't know Mercedes Davidson but to me, her teaching experience is a plus, not a minus.

Guest Hypocritical

Do you really think you're fooling anyone? You're a shill for Plaugic, the BoE's last remaining Stooge. You think Davidson is the weakest of the three running as a unified team, so you try an obvious hit job on her, trying to keep a seat for Plaugic, and distorting the Observer's story beyond all recognition. Problem (for you) is, you're lousy at it.

Your "points" range from stupid to ridiculous. Teaching in a difficult school district earns a candidate points for experience. You can't blame her for the problems in Paterson, or paint her as anti-Kearny because Paterson receives state aid that Kearny does not receive. She has nothing to do with that. She deserves credit for going there to teach kids who probably need her help, if she's any good. I would be interested in knowing why she left the Kearny school system. But that's the point: I want the truth, not spin from someone who obviously made up his mind a long time ago. She may have an excellent reason. Or not. But we're not about to get the truth from you.

Ms. Davidson has a more-than-full-time job, you say: teaching. And what, pray tell, do you call Officer Plaugic's job? Or Ms. Lindenfelser's? She's an attorney with a full-time law practice. The BoE is a part-time, unpaid position. Everyone understands that. If you want to elect people who aren't busy, you can do that but you're not likely to find many good ones, unless you get retirees to run for the BoE but not enough of them seem to want to do that. Can't imagine why they wouldn't jump at the chance to have people they don't even know smear them publicly, with or without any basis in fact.

You complain that Davidson spoke at a meeting in Paterson. What did she say? Not your spin. What did she actually say?

I could go on and on but this is ridiculous. Every time there's an election, you crawl out from under your rock to attack someone. By your own admission, you don't even know her. Go away.

What a joke, you are nothing more than a hypocrite. It's crazy reading your post.

Guest Concerned Taxpayer III

Dear "Ridiculous",

Wow! I'd say that based on your negative reaction to Concerned Taxpayer's legitimate questions, Mercedes Davidson isn't able to publicly defend the stances she's taken in Paterson. Fact is she engaged in a "teacher slowdown" to get leverage in contract negotiations with the Paterson Board of Ed. Fact is she advocated for above inflation increases in her public salary. It's legitimate to ask whether she would support the same for Kearny.

Don't respond with more negative attacks on the poster. Don't characterize Concerned Taxpayer's questions into something that was never asked so that you can avoid the questions posed.

Don't claim some purported high ground, then unleash negative attacks, and then accuse the original poster of coming out from under a "rock".

That makes you a hypocrite. That makes you a bully.

Yes or no, would what Mercedes Davidson did in the Paterson district be appropriate for Kearny's schools? After all, she's running for Kearny Board of Education.

I've read all kinds of baloney on this forum over the years. Accusations are made. Sometimes they're true, sometimes they are not.

I want to know specifically what she did. What is a teacher slowdown? Exactly what did the teachers in Paterson do, and what role did Ms. Davidson play in it? I want facts, not conclusions. And I want the proof. Then I will decide whether to vote for her. But I'm not going to make that decision based on your or anyone else's anonymous say-so on this forum.

The other arguments made against Ms. Davidson are indeed ridiculous. The fact that she is a teacher does not make her less qualified for our Board of Ed., and the fact that she teaches outside Kearny does not mean that she would not have Kearny's interests at heart, especially since she has to live here to run for the Board, and her children will be in our schools. Those were cheap shots, and not very bright ones. Calling you out on it is not bullying.

Dear *Concerned Taxpayer III*:

You or some other "Concerned Taxpayer" made accusations, along with some cheap shots. As to the accusations, I checked the Internet to see if there was any report of Mercedes Davidson doing any of those things. I couldn't find anything. So I would like to know where you, or "Concerned Taxpayer I" or "Concerned Taxpayer II" is/are getting your information. It's curious to me that Kearny residents would have firsthand information about what is going on in the Paterson school district, especially when it doesn't seem to be in the news anywhere. On the other hand, if the accusations are true, I would like to know about it. And if they are not true, then I would like to know that too.

You make accusations, and when asked to back them up, you cry "hypocrite" and "bully." You're just being asked to back up your claims. I would say that you seem to be projecting.

As you keep digging into this, you realize that "Concerned Taxpayer" is either ignorant of the facts, or lying. The "editorial" is not from a "Paterson newspaper." It's from an activist organization whose stated mission is to break the teachers' unions. Check out their mission statement at eagnews.org/about/our-perspective/

There's no telling how much their "reporter" distorted the facts. Then along comes "Concerned Taxpayer" and distorts them further. OK, you're anti-union. That's your right. But at least be honest.

. . . . Mercedes Davidson isn't able to publicly defend the stances she's taken in Paterson. Fact is she engaged in a "teacher slowdown" to get leverage in contract negotiations with the Paterson Board of Ed. Fact is she advocated for above inflation increases in her public salary.

What stances? All I can find is one very general statement she made to the Paterson Board, urging it to pass a budget. You can read it here on page 14.

You're making specific claims. Either you know those things to be true, or you're making them up.

If they are true, then why can't I find any report of them anywhere, except here?

Or maybe you know them firsthand. But that doesn't make sense because this is a Kearny forum. If you're from Kearny, then how do you know so much about what goes on in Paterson? And if you're from Paterson, then why are you posting here?

If you cannot tell us where you are getting your "facts" from, then they're probably not facts at all.

Of course, I could be wrong. But then, if I am, you should have no trouble proving it. Only do yourself a favor. Don't post your response as "Concerned Taxpayer IV."

Guest CONCERNED TAXPAYER IV

Still not answering. Let's recap.

Stage 1: express umbrage and bully original poster by criticizing grammar even though no grammatical errors and saying she came out from under a "rock".

Stage 2: after getting called out on Stage 1 tactic, you argue everyone has a job and try to claim Paterson dealings are separate from Kearny even though Mercedes Davidson is running for Kearny Board of Education and is a teacher in Paterson. You again bully the poster and her postings by calling her "ridiculous" and "stupid".

Stage 3: after realizing that Stage 2 argument is unconvincing and was still bullying, you attempt to deny by asking for the equivalent of a smoking gun for proof that Davidson supports teacher slowdowns in the classroom as a contract negotiation tool or that she sought a contract with above inflation increases.

The FACT is that Ms. Davidson participated in a teacher slowdown at the expense of students. She was also part of a picket line at a Paterson Board of Education meeting: http://thealternativepress.com/articles/hundreds-of-paterson-educators-protest-stalled-co

And "Really ignorant" is what Ms. Davidson called the news story that criticized the Paterson teacher slowdown in the classroom as wrong and selfish. That news story and Davidson's posted reply comment were included in the first posting of this thread.

What will Stage 4 be? Do you go back to attacking grammar? Do you try to find a spelling error and use that to bully me or one of the other Davidson critics? Do you continue to deny Davidson's involvement in the Paterson work actions?

Yes or no, will Davidson support the use of teacher slowdowns in the classroom as leverage in the ongoing Kearny teacher contract negotiations? If there is a teacher picket line in Kearny will she join the picket? Will she support higher taxes for higher Kearny salaries?

If she's running for Kearny Board of Education, she should answer these questions.

Guest Little Cat WTF

Still not answering. Let's recap.

Stage 1: express umbrage and bully original poster by criticizing grammar even though no grammatical errors and saying she came out from under a "rock".

Stage 2: after getting called out on Stage 1 tactic, you argue everyone has a job and try to claim Paterson dealings are separate from Kearny even though Mercedes Davidson is running for Kearny Board of Education and is a teacher in Paterson. You again bully the poster and her postings by calling her "ridiculous" and "stupid".

Stage 3: after realizing that Stage 2 argument is unconvincing and was still bullying, you attempt to deny by asking for the equivalent of a smoking gun for proof that Davidson supports teacher slowdowns in the classroom as a contract negotiation tool or that she sought a contract with above inflation increases.

The FACT is that Ms. Davidson participated in a teacher slowdown at the expense of students. She was also part of a picket line at a Paterson Board of Education meeting: http://thealternativepress.com/articles/hundreds-of-paterson-educators-protest-stalled-co

And "Really ignorant" is what Ms. Davidson called the news story that criticized the Paterson teacher slowdown in the classroom as wrong and selfish. That news story and Davidson's posted reply comment were included in the first posting of this thread.

What will Stage 4 be? Do you go back to attacking grammar? Do you try to find a spelling error and use that to bully me or one of the other Davidson critics? Do you continue to deny Davidson's involvement in the Paterson work actions?

Yes or no, will Davidson support the use of teacher slowdowns in the classroom as leverage in the ongoing Kearny teacher contract negotiations? If there is a teacher picket line in Kearny will she join the picket? Will she support higher taxes for higher Kearny salaries?

If she's running for Kearny Board of Education, she should answer these questions.

There are no stages. That's just your latest distortion of the facts - a concept you seem to have trouble with. I've been asking for the same things all along: for you to back up your claims with facts. You keep saying things are facts but then you do not support your claims. This latest post is no different.

You have not provided ANY facts to support your claim that Ms. Davidson participated in a teacher slowdown. In fact, the article you just linked to includes a statement from the teachers "Still teaching, still caring w/no contract." You have no evidence that Ms. Davidson did not fulfill her duties to her students. If it you had it, you would have provided it. But it's a fair question, so ask her. Or go to Paterson and ask her students from that year, or their parents. Facts are facts, and so far you don't have any.

You can also ask her why she called the article from EAG "really ignorant." Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, so ask her what she meant. You have no basis, so far, to criticize that statement. Or if you do have a basis, what is it?

Ms. Davidson should answer the questions, as should every Board candidate. And you should state facts, not distortions. The article from TAPintoPATERSON does not say what you claim it says.

So when you get called out for distorting things, don't whine about it. Instead of projecting your own conduct onto anyone who criticizes you - pretending all the while that you're someone else speaking up for poor, abused "Concerned Taxpayer I - own up and admit that you are posting as a partisan with an obvious axe to grind. Then go back to the drawing board, and post things that are factual. And for Chris'-sake, stop imagining that we don't all know that the four "Concerned Taxpayers" are all the same person - you.

Concerned Taxpayer (I, II, III and IV),

You're not fooling anyone. I remember when Joe the Plumber met candidate Obama on the street and asked him about his tax proposal, which would have raised taxes for people earning more than $250,000 a year. The guy presented himself as an independent but in fact, he was was a flaming far-right wing Republican who opposed all taxes, period. He never made $250,000 any year in his life, but he was still convinced that Obama's proposal would hurt him. Not long after that, he was a hero of the right wing and, if memory serves me, a speaker at the Republican national convention.

Stop lying. You presented yourself here as just a concerned taxpayer with some questions. But it's obvious that you just don't want a teacher, who is also a teacher-union member, on our Board of Education. That is a legitimate concern, and if you said that, we could have had an intelligent discussion.

But no, you had to try to accuse her of things without any basis in fact. If that is how you frame this discussion, people will come to her defense (because they don't like lying and bullying), and you're going to lose. And you may lose anyway. But let's at least discuss the real issue.

Contrary to what you may think (or maybe you just can't imagine it), not everyone here is stupid. Be honest. You'll find that it avoids many problems.

Guest CONCERNED TAXPAYER

Dear Cornered Cat,

Then just answer the questions! For goodness sake, Ms Davidson is a CANDIDATE for PUBLIC office on the Kearny Board of Education and the Kearny teachers' contract has expired.

Does Ms. Davidson support a teacher slowdown in the classroom as leverage in contract negotiations?

Does she support higher salaries for Kearny teachers?

If the teachers picket the Kearny Board of a Education, which they've done in the past, will Davidson support the picket?

Stage 5 is back to Stage 3, which is refuse to answer the questions by asking for smoking gun proof. I don't need to prove what was reported in the Paterson press. Neither does Ms. Davidson have to disprove it. But she has to answer questions about what she would do if elected to the Kearny Board of Education and there isn't a settlement with Kearny's teachers.

Dear Cornered Cat,

Then just answer the questions! For goodness sake, Ms Davidson is a CANDIDATE for PUBLIC office on the Kearny Board of Education and the Kearny teachers' contract has expired.

Does Ms. Davidson support a teacher slowdown in the classroom as leverage in contract negotiations?

Does she support higher salaries for Kearny teachers?

If the teachers picket the Kearny Board of a Education, which they've done in the past, will Davidson support the picket?

Stage 5 is back to Stage 3, which is refuse to answer the questions by asking for smoking gun proof. I don't need to prove what was reported in the Paterson press. Neither does Ms. Davidson have to disprove it. But she has to answer questions about what she would do if elected to the Kearny Board of Education and there isn't a settlement with Kearny's teachers.

You slimeball. I don't have answers to your questions, and neither do you. Ask Ms. Davidson. That's what the election season is for. She's brand new to Kearny's electoral system. Ask your questions. But don't lie about someone.

Too bad the candidate forum is such a joke. If you call for a more serious discussion, I will support you.

But don't try to defend your accusations with references to a smoking gun. You don't just lack a smoking gun. You have no evidence at all, you just made stuff up to slander someone you don't agree with.

Let's see how you like it. Did you shoot somebody the other day? I don't see a smoking gun in your hand, but hey, you never know. Can the slimeball tactics. Your motives are transparent. You're one of the five stooges, or one of their supporters. And there aren't four of you. You're not fooling anyone. Stop lying.

Concerned Taxpayer,

The burden does not shift to others to answer questions you cannot answer yourself. The people who post here are not responsible for the candidate's views. In fact, none of the posts defending the candidate expresses support for her candidacy. I think people are just rightly offended at your comments.

Intentionally or not, you are insinuating, which is something my teachers taught me in elementary school not to do. You have not provided any evidence that the candidate has ever engaged in or supported a teacher slowdown, or what her position is on Kearny teacher salaries, or how she would respond, as a Board member, to teacher picketing. You made statements but when I read the links, they do not say what you represented them to say. So I have to wonder whether you have an axe to grind. You seem to. That's not an insinuation, because your postings strongly suggest that inference. You can argue that the candidate's position as a teacher and a union member are relevant - and they are. But you're being unfair, and that doesn't change just because you fire back.

Guest Fact Check

Stage 5 is back to bullying. You now call Concerned Taxpayer a "slime ball". You previously called her "stupid" and "ridiculous". When called out, you engage in a typical bully defense in which you accuse Concerned Taxpayer of calling others stupid when she never did (but you did -- Just re-read the entire thread again.)

Fact: Ms. Davidson is quoted in a Paterson news story in support of a teachers' picket. (Link was provided.)

Fact: Ms. Davidson posted a critical comment of a news story that criticized Paterson teachers' slowdown as a selfish negotiating tactic.

Fact: Kearny teachers' contract has expired.

Fact: You, or Ms. Davidson, or both, have refused to answer fundamental questions on where Ms. Davidson, a candidate for public office/Kearny Board of Ed, stands on the largest cost item in the Kearny school budget.

Fact: the Kearny school budget is 45% of my property tax bill.

BTW, I'll continue to treat you with respect even when you don't. But I'll call you out each time.

The title of this topic tells you that "Concerned Taxpayer" is a not just a concerned taxpayer trying to make up his mind. We title our own topics here. CT chose to title this one "Is a Paterson School teacher What the Kearny Board of Education Needs?" That's the language of partisan spin by someone who has his mind made up, not just about this candidate but about teachers in general.

Stage 5 is back to bullying. You now call Concerned Taxpayer a "slime ball". You previously called her "stupid" and "ridiculous". When called out, you engage in a typical bully defense in which you accuse Concerned Taxpayer of calling others stupid when she never did (but you did -- Just re-read the entire thread again.)

Fact: Ms. Davidson is quoted in a Paterson news story in support of a teachers' picket. (Link was provided.)

Fact: Ms. Davidson posted a critical comment of a news story that criticized Paterson teachers' slowdown as a selfish negotiating tactic.

Fact: You, or Ms. Davidson, or both, have refused to answer fundamental questions on where Ms. Davidson, a candidate for public office/Kearny Board of Ed, stands on the largest cost item in the Kearny school budget.

BTW, I'll continue to treat you with respect even when you don't. But I'll call you out each time.

I called you a slimeball because you behave like a slimeball. I don't know where Davidson stands on the issue you named or any other issue. I've never met her, and am not familiar with her views on the issues, which is not surprising, since her candidacy just began. Continuing to insist that anyone but the candidate should, or can, answer your question is - whether you care for the word or not - ridiculous. And since the candidates were just announced, and cannot be expected to jump into the mudfights on KOTW, your criticism that the candidate has not answered your question is also ridiculous. Ask her the question. If she does not answer it, then you will have grounds for your criticism. So far, though, you're being a slimeball, whether you like the description or not. It's the truth.

If you don't want to be called unflattering names on an anonymous forum, try posting the facts. Only some of the things you wrote are facts, like your tax bill. And don't shift your ground when you get caught. People can read what you already wrote, you know, it's on the same page as your latest post. I haven't checked but 45% wouldn't surprise me. Compare that to other school districts in the area. Kearny is a unique town, with the industrial south end, but even so, 45% is not surprising. And you can't intelligently blame this candidate for your property tax bill. So she has never held public office. So when you make stupid arguments like that, don't whine about being called stupid. Your comments invite it.

And you're not fooling anyone. You're still the same person who opened this topic.

Fact: Your sources do not say what you claim they say. Repeating that lie is not calling someone out. No matter how many times you repeat a lie, it's still a lie. In fact, repeating it makes it worse.

Fact: Ms. Davidson's comment to the EAG piece was that it was "really ignorant." Apparently you accept the article at face value, even though it is from a partisan source, and dismiss Davidson's comment out of hand. Ask her why she called it ignorant. Maybe she had a good reason.

Fact: You have not answered those "fundamental questions" either. You can't - at least not honestly - because you don't speak for anyone else. Well, neither does anyone else here. So when you get called stupid for doing that, it's because you're making a stupid argument. And you keep doing it, even when this is pointed out. That's being willfully stupid.

Fact: Pointing out the facts is not bullying. You just don't seem to be able to accept the fact that you're capable of being wrong. But it's right here for everyone to see.

And stop pretending you're not "Concerned Taxpayer" I, II, III and IV. Just because you use a new SN every time you post doesn't mean that it isn't obvious you're the same person. Your comment "I'll call you out each time" makes this clear. Your previous posts give you away in other ways.

Guest Fact Check

The title of this topic tells you that "Concerned Taxpayer" is a not just a concerned taxpayer trying to make up his mind. We title our own topics here. CT chose to title this one "Is a Paterson School teacher What the Kearny Board of Education Needs?" That's the language of partisan spin by someone who has his mind made up, not just about this candidate but about teachers in general.

You're back to name calling although "partisan" is a vast improvement over "slimeball" and "stupid".

The question in the title is important because of the teacher labor unrest in the Paterson school district, including a picket of the Paterson Board of Education and a teacher slowdown in the classroom as a tactic in labor negotiations. The Paterson unrest is a fact. Ms. Davidson's membership in the Paterson union is a fact. Her presence at the picket is a fact.

. . . . Fact: You, or Ms. Davidson, or both, have refused to answer fundamental questions on where Ms. Davidson, a candidate for public office/Kearny Board of Ed, stands on the largest cost item in the Kearny school budget.

Do you have some reason to think she is participating here? Where do you get this "refused" stuff? Talk about twisting the truth with words. You're just making things up. And it's not working, so you ratchet up your complaints.

When you try to slime others, don't complain if it ends up on you. Anyway, what do you care? No one knows who you are.

Guest Fact Check II

Do you have some reason to think she is participating here? Where do you get this "refused" stuff? Talk about twisting the truth with words. You're just making things up. And it's not working, so you ratchet up your complaints.

When you try to slime others, don't complain if it ends up on you. Anyway, what do you care? No one knows who you are.

I don't think anyone knows who anyone of us is on this board, so that last comment of yours is meant to knock me for the sole purpose of knocking me. You sure are good at bullying.

I'm not "sliming" anyone, those are your words, not mine. Concerned Taxpayer and Fact Check have raised important questions about Mercedes Davidson that you can't or won't answer. Nothing twisted, just questions based on real facts directed at a candidate for PUBLIC office on the Kearny Board of Education. Your continuing refusal to answer means you don't have an answer or don't want the Kearny public to know where Ms. Davidson stands on those questions. If I were to guess, I'd say you don't want the public to know.