hpd really?

Guest money watcher

Guest money watcher

Chief kennel, explain to the tax payers why you have your few resident cops parked at their house for hours? is there no crime to address in town. do these cops including one with ranking are accounted for? in a world of modern technology its not hard to prove. and dare i go to the bergen mall hit ninos i think they hold roll call there. drive by cleveland avenue and you;; see all cars in the driveway. walk in and its like a band of roaches just hanging out. this is what is protecting us really??? wheres the work? much talk and regulations for the taxpayer but cops are except.give up your leadership kennel youve failed yr after yr.

Guest Guest

Step up and take the test and show them how it's done then....... Keyboard Command

truth hurts doesnt it..........dont get defensive pal .......perhaps you should do your job. the game is over. accountability!!!!

Guest Guest

truth hurts doesnt it..........dont get defensive pal .......perhaps you should do your job. the game is over. accountability!!!!

I have never EVER been a Police Officer with the Harrison PD...I would NOT Choose to do so, because being a Police Officer in Harrison, means dealing with Low-Lifes like yourself. Harrison PD has been Plagued with problems and Personnel Issues for many many years and long before the Current Chief. To blame everything on one man is both short-sighted and stupid, not that I have come to expect anything else from the Mouth-breathers who live South of Central Ave.

Guest Cruiser

the HPD has been plagued with problems only since the NAACP ruling which forced the Town to recruits from Essex and Hudson counties. Then you had the problem of having 2 unions, the PBA and FOP competing for the bargaining agent. The new Officers who lived out of town did not have any loyalty and caused problems with discrimination and whistleblower lawsuits. 1 Officer who was a sick leave abuser and has been suspended for 1 year is now a Sgt. How did that happen? You can't blame the Chiefs for these problems but you could blame the Police Chairman who went against the Chiefs.

Guest Guest

the HPD has been plagued with problems only since the NAACP ruling which forced the Town to recruits from Essex and Hudson counties. Then you had the problem of having 2 unions, the PBA and FOP competing for the bargaining agent. The new Officers who lived out of town did not have any loyalty and caused problems with discrimination and whistleblower lawsuits. 1 Officer who was a sick leave abuser and has been suspended for 1 year is now a Sgt. How did that happen? You can't blame the Chiefs for these problems but you could blame the Police Chairman who went against the Chiefs.

Riiiight it's the OFFICER's Fault for being victimized by the Old Boy Network............. And the Officer you;re speaking of..isnt he ALSO the one that sued and WON because the former Chief was oursuing a personal vendetta?? And while we're on the subject, Let's talk about the Officer who that Chief supported, and covered for, through a DUI in the Academy, until he eventually was arrested for being a Heroin Junkie. Harrison's Problems all Stemmed from the Pre-NAACP PEOPLE who were more interested in keeping their little rice bowls full instead of doing their Jobs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1 who Knows

The 2 Officers that sued did not win their lawsuits, lets get that straight. The Officer who had a DUI was reinstated after a 6 month suspension by the Town Council. the Chief at that time was against it. And this Officer, a PBA member, was in charge of the PBA's X-Mass party at the Polish National. So, when the present Chief was appointed over more qualified Officers, he put the sick leave abusers in the DB. He also stayed silent when the HPD was reduced to 38 Officers and is only a shadow of what it was before.

There was another Officer who was ******* in ***** for ***. Guess who? He was the PBA's Superior Officer's ********** ***** and sued the Town when he wasn't promoted. Guess what, he lost.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

What can the Chief do to maintain the proper amount of manpower? Especially 1 who was appointed over others without a test when a deal was made with 1 Capt.,who was then made D/Chief. He now has been demoted back to Capt. There's only1 Chief who wasn't beholden to the politicians. He insisted on the proper amount of manpower. When heretired, the crybabies took over. They, along with the Chief allowed the manpower to decrease to 38 Officers. Good Officers were forced to retire with the threat of demotion.

Then the crybabies were promoted in their place. Since they got promoted, they weren't going to make waves.The PBA didn't protest.

Now, with violent crime on the rise and only a few Officers on Patrol, who is going to prevent crime. This should be a campaign issue.

Where is the Doran Team on this issue.

Guest Guest

What can the Chief do to maintain the proper amount of manpower? Especially 1 who was appointed over others without a test when a deal was made with 1 Capt.,who was then made D/Chief. He now has been demoted back to Capt. There's only1 Chief who wasn't beholden to the politicians. He insisted on the proper amount of manpower. When heretired, the crybabies took over. They, along with the Chief allowed the manpower to decrease to 38 Officers. Good Officers were forced to retire with the threat of demotion.

Then the crybabies were promoted in their place. Since they got promoted, they weren't going to make waves.The PBA didn't protest.

Now, with violent crime on the rise and only a few Officers on Patrol, who is going to prevent crime. This should be a campaign issue.

Where is the Doran Team on this issue.

Your chief can;t to a damned THING when it comes to Manpower.....the STATE Has to approve any new Hiring, just as it has to Approve ANY Expenditure....but then again your Late Mayor was famous for saying on several occasions "Who cares if we dont have enough Cops, we'll just call Kearny for Help"

Guest Cross Street

If Doran was legitimate, he would take the salary cap for his job at $175k and allow Harrison to hire another Patrolman for $60k difference. You woud think $175k is enough. Other option is for Mayor Fifer to raise property taxes above 2% cap which town council has been doing for years. Losers are property owners.

Guest Sharky

400,000 for OT seems outrageous when the Town is broke and relying on state money. Put the Chief and Capt. in uniform and have them patrol half of their workday. Bring back the 2 officers on loan and put them on patrol. If the Chief refuses, hire a civilian Police Director like they did in the HFD and demote him to Capt. Put the HPD on a 40 hour shift, that will add Officers.The HPD has two many supervisors, the ideal amount would be 1 Chief, 1 Capt's. 2 Lt's. and 8 Sgts. You only need a Sergeant in charge of each squad.

You still have the civilian dispatchers who took the place of Lts. and parking enforcement officers that took the place of Patrolman.

The Chief in Kearny wears a uniform and responds to calls to assist Officers. Why does the HPD Chief and Captain sit in their offices?

Bratton when he was LA Chief wore a uniform. I have to agree with Doran on that. The last 2 HPD Chiefs wore uniforms and 1 walked the avenues and spoke with the merchants.

Guest Guest

400,000 for OT seems outrageous when the Town is broke and relying on state money. Put the Chief and Capt. in uniform and have them patrol half of their workday. Bring back the 2 officers on loan and put them on patrol. If the Chief refuses, hire a civilian Police Director like they did in the HFD and demote him to Capt. Put the HPD on a 40 hour shift, that will add Officers.The HPD has two many supervisors, the ideal amount would be 1 Chief, 1 Capt's. 2 Lt's. and 8 Sgts. You only need a Sergeant in charge of each squad.

You still have the civilian dispatchers who took the place of Lts. and parking enforcement officers that took the place of Patrolman.

The Chief in Kearny wears a uniform and responds to calls to assist Officers. Why does the HPD Chief and Captain sit in their offices?

Bratton when he was LA Chief wore a uniform. I have to agree with Doran on that. The last 2 HPD Chiefs wore uniforms and 1 walked the avenues and spoke with the merchants.

No Problem..don't replace people who are sick or on vacation..if that leaves you with one..or None... So be it. if THAT wont work for you, then i guess it just S**ks to BE you....you need a certain number of boots on the ground, the people in those boots have to be paid. You guys have been cutting back on your PD for a Decade now...this is what happens. Dont LIKE it? Petition the state to let you hire enough people to do the Job right....or..... whine about it on an internet forum.

Guest Rockman

1 of the worst management deals was to give unlimited sick leave. The problem with the HPD is that Officers take the sick leave without being checked on.1 Officer on sick leave, a chronic abuser, was seen at the PBA golf tournament with another on injured leave driving around in a golf cart while consuming alcohol. The Chief when he was appointed wanted to have steady shifts because he said it would be more healthy and cut down on sick leave, well, the opposite has happened. There has been an increase in sick leave. When sick leave was at 15 days per year, the dept. average was 6 days.The same officers who abused it then are still doing it.

Now the Chief wants to go to 12 hour shifts which he says will provide more manpower. He was wrong in the past and you can bet he will be wrong. It's time for a change in leadership. again.

Nice to see the Chief and Captain in uniform. Now if we only can get them out of their offices and on patrol. The Chief blinked and Doran got his way.The Police Committee can set policy such as bringing back the officers that are loaned out to other agencies and the Chief has to comply. They are needed here.

Nice to see the Chief and Captain in uniform. Now if we only can get them out of their offices and on patrol. The Chief blinked and Doran got his way.The Police Committee can set policy such as bringing back the officers that are loaned out to other agencies and the Chief has to comply. They are needed here.

Guest Guest

As you travel west on Hamilton Street, at the intersection of Davis Ave. There is a “no turn on red sign” for a right turn onto Davis Ave. Fortunately for the Harrison Police Dept, the sign is covered by a tree branch. If you look half way down the block you will see a police car parked waiting for unsuspecting motorist to make a right on red, because they did not see the sign. Is this how the police commissioner and the chief operate? There is no reason for the sign to begin with.

With the lack of manpower, I don't think a police car was parked by an intersection in order to ticket motorist. They have enough to do responding to calls. In Edison, the PBA has been publicly asking `for more manpower. Why hasn't the Harrison PBA done the same thing?

Guest thieves in uniforms

With the lack of manpower, I don't think a police car was parked by an intersection in order to ticket motorist. They have enough to do responding to calls. In Edison, the PBA has been publicly asking `for more manpower. Why hasn't the Harrison PBA done the same thing?

well because the pba has sold out their men. the few that actually work that is. not theones that are on the chief's ****. not to mention the ones that ride around wasting gas leaving town to go home to eat or at their mothers house in kearny. the ones that guard the mall, the others that **** girls on ***** ave. yes indeed this depart is filled with plenty of scammers.especially the ones that rape local businesses for goodies for their families while bad mouthing the hand that feeds them.

Edited by KOTW
Content. The above is an opinion. KOTW has not verified the statements.

Guest Robo Cop

I think you need a Chief who lives in Harrison and can check on his Officers during his off hours. I recall a former Chief who was out at 3AM and caught 2 Officers sleeping in their patrol car in the Guyon complex. He made enemies because he held them accountable. That's what you need. Not 1 who drives to his out of Town home when he leaves his office. But, the present Chief says he won't retire and they can't force him out without cause. They could enact an ordinance that replaces him with a Police Director and I know the perfect candidate.

Guest In the know

I think you need a Chief who lives in Harrison and can check on his Officers during his off hours. I recall a former Chief who was out at 3AM and caught 2 Officers sleeping in their patrol car in the Guyon complex. He made enemies because he held them accountable. That's what you need. Not 1 who drives to his out of Town home when he leaves his office. But, the present Chief says he won't retire and they can't force him out without cause. They could enact an ordinance that replaces him with a Police Director and I know the perfect candidate.

i couldnt agree more, but that officer who sleeps still exists he works the midnight shift. the police director should be appointed by the state/DCA someone qualified yet no ties. btw the cars have a tracking device already, the powers that be dont use the system because they know their click would end up suspended or fired! and yes manor ave is popular for a few cops as is petchers bakery,they **** ***** all the time.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

If I were the Chief, I would start looking for another job. He has to put up with Doran who has interfered with every Chief since he became Chairman of the Police Committee.

Guest Change Agent

Just read an article in the NY Times. James Bratton, NYC Police Commissioner is making the rounds of precincts in NYC at 1AM in the morning to check on conditions and speaking with Officers. That's what we need in Harrison, we need someone to randomly go to Police HQ and tour the Town with no advance notice. What you say, that's why we have supervisors. Well it doesn't always work that way in a small department when supervisors sometimes go along with the Officers and don't supervise. I recall when a Chief, had a Captain come in at 4AM to do what Bratton is doing. Officers are more alert when they believe they will be checked at random times by someone who is not part of their squad.