Board of Education Strikes again

Guest Concern Parent

Guest Lincoln parent

Home schooling, that's an option. Luckily here, we can afford to hire someone to come to our house while our house is up for sale. I can tell you that the parents at Lincoln are very mad. Whether they will speak up tomorrow night is another issue though. They have a lot of nerve doing this so late in the school year and do not compare us to what they did in Lyndhurst because people there are still ticked about it (it's still a mess there, just read Lyndhurst).

Guest Guest

The problem is not with the number of teachers, it is more the number of rooms. In Garfield School, where there is no junior high, there are way too many kids, it doesn't matter how you adjust, 30+ kids in an elementary class is just unforgivable and unless we figure out some way of helping these numbers, we're doomed. By moving the jr. high out of Washington School, we now have ROOMS to spread out into. Children will be redistricted out of Garfield and into Washington where there will be adequate space for those students to be in acceptable class sizes.

There are Schuyler School students in preK and K that attend other schools (mostly Roosevelt.) It isn't that we can't find teachers to teach the overflow - there are no rooms to put them in.

After every office, closet, and hallway has been taken to put students, it's time that we do something a little bit more educationally sound. This solution is, in fact, temporary - I believe Mrs. Blood said it will help for about 5 years and then a more permanent plan needs to be in place.

Our options are:

1. do nothing

2. come up with a knee-jerk plan (like leasing and renovating St. Stephen's for millions of dollars)

3. redistrict for a nominal cost while giving us time to come up with a more permanent solution. Remember we are using properties that we already have, teachers we are already paying. We are not adding costs to our budget; but we are alleviating the situation for a while.

In my opinion, #1 is not an option. We are talking about our children's education here. If we know we can do better than we are, we should. This plan respects the taxpayers by not putting on unnecessary costs while we figure out what to do. If you can come up with a better plan than #s 1, 2, or 3, please write it up and present it to the board at the next meeting. Also, if you can come up with such a plan, please go over to Jersey City and get an application to run for the board, we need great minds like yours.

Guest Guest1

To solve overcrowding, how about getting the town to go after illegal apartments? While the BoEd can up the proof required to prove residency? I keep hearing stories about kids going to our schools that do not belong here (from Newark, Jersey City, etc).

Guest Puzzle Man

The problem is not with the number of teachers, it is more the number of rooms. In Garfield School, where there is no junior high, there are way too many kids, it doesn't matter how you adjust, 30+ kids in an elementary class is just unforgivable and unless we figure out some way of helping these numbers, we're doomed. By moving the jr. high out of Washington School, we now have ROOMS to spread out into. Children will be redistricted out of Garfield and into Washington where there will be adequate space for those students to be in acceptable class sizes.

There are Schuyler School students in preK and K that attend other schools (mostly Roosevelt.) It isn't that we can't find teachers to teach the overflow - there are no rooms to put them in.

After every office, closet, and hallway has been taken to put students, it's time that we do something a little bit more educationally sound. This solution is, in fact, temporary - I believe Mrs. Blood said it will help for about 5 years and then a more permanent plan needs to be in place.

Our options are:

1. do nothing

2. come up with a knee-jerk plan (like leasing and renovating St. Stephen's for millions of dollars)

3. redistrict for a nominal cost while giving us time to come up with a more permanent solution. Remember we are using properties that we already have, teachers we are already paying. We are not adding costs to our budget; but we are alleviating the situation for a while.

In my opinion, #1 is not an option. We are talking about our children's education here. If we know we can do better than we are, we should. This plan respects the taxpayers by not putting on unnecessary costs while we figure out what to do. If you can come up with a better plan than #s 1, 2, or 3, please write it up and present it to the board at the next meeting. Also, if you can come up with such a plan, please go over to Jersey City and get an application to run for the board, we need great minds like yours.

You are both right. The first scenario given involved TWO schools, one a former K-8 which would now be a 7 & 8 only school. The second an elementary school (K-6 or K-8) which would now be a strictly K-6 school, so there would be an extra classroom in the junior high which could NOT be used for an additional 4th grade class. The second scenario, which you used, involved THREE schools, one a 7 & 8 junior school only and TWO K-6 schools, which WOULD provide a vacant, extra classroom for a 4th grade. Chill! The parents are at a distinct disadvantage in asking questions because they don't know all the facts and those few facts they have were given at the very last minute, probably to avoid "suggestions".

Guest guest

Did you attend the meeting?

I did. The presentation was very good. And every question was answered.

And it was explained that this is the best way to handle the situation for now.

Without increasing cost. Everyone had the chance to speak their mind.

Some good points were made by parents which caused the applause.

The applause was not stopping anyone from talking.

Shoot the mouth off..... lack of facts!

Guest Fed Up Parent

Maybe you meant to say teachers, not classrooms. Don't forget the jr. school and the 4th graders will be in two separate buildings. You won't be able to use that extra jr. high room for 4th grade, but you should have a fifth teacher available.Finishing the high school should be the Board's first priority, instead of getting bogged down in a new enormous middle school project. I think the school district has always had to move classes around a little, one year there is a load of 6th graders, the next year there are less 6th graders but more 4th graders and on it goes, they always seemed to manage in the past. Sometimes a school district line was moved a block or two, but never a disruption of this enormity. For everyone's sake, especially the children who will be losing their school by either being thrown into a large high school-like environment or the little ones adjusting to a brand new school, I really hope it is a big success.

You are absolutely right !!!! The overcrowding has been happening for a while now. The BOE can't even get done the projects done they already have screwed up!!!!! How about focusing on getting the KHS project done so the kids there can stop suffering, how about getting done the MONEY PIT on Midland ave so the spending bleeding can stop there, how about getting the BOE own act together and get back some stability with leadership in the district. How about getting all these ongoing problems DONE FIRST before creating another Nightmare ????? !!!!!!!

Guest Stop Your Yelling

You are absolutely right !!!! The overcrowding has been happening for a while now. The BOE can't even get done the projects done they already have screwed up!!!!! How about focusing on getting the KHS project done so the kids there can stop suffering, how about getting done the MONEY PIT on Midland ave so the spending bleeding can stop there, how about getting the BOE own act together and get back some stability with leadership in the district. How about getting all these ongoing problems DONE FIRST before creating another Nightmare ????? !!!!!!!

If you knew what you were talking about you would know all those things are being done. Why would finishing construction on either the high school or midland avenue have to be done in order to move things along EDUCATIONALLY! Finally, decisions are being made that impact positively on EDUCATION. It's not all about BUILDINGS anymore. And that's because there is finally LEADERSHIP. So pipe down and pay attention. You might learn something.

Guest Guest

Since there was really only one person at Monday's BOE meeting who voiced any further concerns about the redistricting plan, either the rest of the posters are phonies, resigned to the situation, or not really that involved.

The best part of this temporary solution is that is doesn't cost a great deal of money. One expense will be for the summer temps who will be hired to help move the teachers' and classroom materials from one classroom to another, one school to another. Those summer temps are paid around minimum wage - good for the high school and college kids who get the chance to make some money this summer.

There will be costs to construct several science labs at Lincoln School - there are already two there - I don't know how many they plan to have.

But there will be no new hires, no new materials (that wouldn't have already been purchased without the redistricting.)

The Midland Ave. project appears to be ready for use very soon and KHS seems to be moving along. I think (correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will) Mrs. Blood said that one of the HS buildings will be ready for use in September and classes will be moved out of the trailers and into the building for September and they will be able to start on the other building soon.

The fact that the overcrowding has been happening for a while isn't an excuse to do nothing. The fact that the KHS project is and has been a disaster isn't an excuse to sit back. This is a taxpayer-sensible solution to a problem that within the next few years is going to become a very expensive problem. Hopefully the high school project will be done so that the future overcrowding problem can be addressed in a more permanent way when that time comes.

Have a great day!

Guest Guest

I agree with the author of post 106. There are general accusations here but no specifics. This looks like an orchestrated rant, or a very energetic rant by a few people. Give us specifics.

Guest Resident

Since there was really only one person at Monday's BOE meeting who voiced any further concerns about the redistricting plan, either the rest of the posters are phonies, resigned to the situation, or not really that involved.

The best part of this temporary solution is that is doesn't cost a great deal of money. One expense will be for the summer temps who will be hired to help move the teachers' and classroom materials from one classroom to another, one school to another. Those summer temps are paid around minimum wage - good for the high school and college kids who get the chance to make some money this summer.

There will be costs to construct several science labs at Lincoln School - there are already two there - I don't know how many they plan to have.

But there will be no new hires, no new materials (that wouldn't have already been purchased without the redistricting.)

The Midland Ave. project appears to be ready for use very soon and KHS seems to be moving along. I think (correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will) Mrs. Blood said that one of the HS buildings will be ready for use in September and classes will be moved out of the trailers and into the building for September and they will be able to start on the other building soon.

The fact that the overcrowding has been happening for a while isn't an excuse to do nothing. The fact that the KHS project is and has been a disaster isn't an excuse to sit back. This is a taxpayer-sensible solution to a problem that within the next few years is going to become a very expensive problem. Hopefully the high school project will be done so that the future overcrowding problem can be addressed in a more permanent way when that time comes.

Have a great day!

Very logical thinking and post. Times have changed and educationally and financially the middle school concept can no longer be ignored. I went to Franklin School 40 years ago! it was the best! I love the k-8 concept but it just doesn't work times four with all the new regs! Change is very hard but sometimes just necessary. I am sure everyone will adjust. Good luck to all the teachers and students for a beginning and successful journey!

Guest Teacher Supporter

Cutting The Budget

The BOE has proposed cutting the budget in technology and supplies.

At the Lincoln School Meeting, Mrs. Blood stated that there was savings of

$150,000. Because two central office positions were not needed.

She also spoke about increasing technology at the middle school. The BOE has cut over $100.000 in this area. So how can they increase technology? Are they using the saved funds? The BOE has cut supplies. The teachers will now have to put more money out for the things they need for their class.

On the last day school, we all know the teachers spent a lot of money on our kids.

I hope the BOE reconsiders those cuts. Congratulations to all our teachers and principals for a job well done.

Guest To: Know it All

It's obvious who you are. Are you an all powerful board member or a BOE cheerleader? You claim to know everything, yet you pose a question....."what does finishing construction have to do with moving things along EDUCATIONALLY". You did not answer your own question. I will answer it for you, but remember I do not know anything. The High School has been in shambles for over 9 years now. How about concentrating on finishing a campus which houses over 1,600 students, who are in their final years of EDUCATIUON, are preparing for COLLEGE, are preparing for VOTECH, are preparing for Nursing/Healthcare careers, are preparing for their adult life, NOW. The fact that these kids attend a CONSTRUCTION SITE every day, have been displaced to trailers, have to listen to construction noise, have to deal with dust and debris, (ask your teachers about that one, they complain all the time) All those factors and than some have an impact on the implementation of EDUCATION to our students. The BOE has the RESPONSIBILITY to provide to students and staff (teachers) a safe and productive ENVIRONMENT to be EDUCATED. This is NOT being provided.

Now what other impact does BUILDINGS have on EDUCATION? How about the MONEY factor. How about the waste of tax dollars. How about if all the wasted money on the BUILDINGS was used in a much better, more ACCOUNTABLE way.....................Like on EDUCATION.

You're right about one thing, "it's not about buildings anymore", but it is also not about "KIDS", not about ACCOUNTABILITY, not about LEADERSHIP and most clearly NOT about EDUCATION.

So don't worry about me paying attention, because I don't know anything. You should worry about our Kids, they are the ones who DESERVE to learn.

Guest Puzzle Man

I read in the paper that the high school construction project has come to a complete standstill, again. This is not to blame the current superintendent; the blame for this rests solely on the last three or four boards of education. Evidently there is no projected future overcrowding in the district, because it is being recommended to accept high school students from East Newark. Although, the teaching staff is being cut by about 20 odd teachers through attrition, I understand that the board has just created three additional administrative/supervisory positions. Does anyone know if that is correct? Can anyone help me understand this logic without being snarkey or sarcastic?

Guest Worried

I'd like to know what they plan on doing about gangs in two of the Elementary schools. A lot of parents are frightened for their young ones, having to now send their kids to these schools due to losing Lincoln. Plus with all the stabbings going on, this town is changing for the worse. The BoEd seems to care very little to what happens to our children's education as well as their safety. To the parent who asked for metal detectors for the middle school at the last meeting, you have every right to demand it.

Edited by KOTW
The information above has not been confirmed.

Guest Looking for work

You watch way to much tv. The moment you put metal detectors in one of our schools you turn yourself into a ghetto school district. Get a grip

Guest Guest

To "Worried"

So are you saying that the students in the other schools are in gangs, but the students in Lincoln School aren't? Seriously??? ALL THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS are safe and secure. We are fortunate to have great admin. at all of them, that stay on top of all incidences, big or small. Get your nose out of the air and join the real world.

Guest Right to be worried

Worried i think we should All be worried in this day in age! They had a Great administrator at Sandy Hook School too! She gave her life for the students yet so many little lives were lost! Its not just about element and gangs! Its anout safety and security! However, Once you put all the 7th and 8th graders together in any of the schools you need to worry about gangs and gang infiltration. Its an age when children develop into teen agers and are affected by outside influences as well as what may be going on with friends and older siblings and at home. And anyone who thinks there is not gang issues in the high school is kidding themselves

! There were gang issues 15 years ago! At that time no one liked to admit it!

So to "guest". I think you need to see the real world and stop living in a society that no longer exists! Violence of all kinds exists. All you have to do is listen to the news to know schools are a target! I think every percaution should be taken at any school! No school is exempt from a possibility of threat or violence not even a little one room amish school house! Please do not let any of our schools become the next site of a tragic event! Board of Education should Take every precaution you can! Its not about which school has more trouble with gangs its about protecting all town children! What ever that takes! I disagree that metal detectors say ghetto i think they say we are taking every precaution to keep our kids and staff as safe as possible. However, i also see your side. How about hiring security officers for every school! A lot of towns have done it! And before you say it cost too much think twice. Can anyone of us put a price on our childs life? Food for thought! I support the BOE in its efforts for the middle school and the reallignment. I just ask that you not skimp on money when it comed to protecting everyone in the school!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Embarrassed

Where would you rather send your children to school? These are the choices; a small school where the teachers know all the students and the students know each other and discipline is manageable, or an extra large urban school (400 per class) where the students are just numbers and discipline is a huge problem? Why can't Core Curriculum Standards be implemented for 6-8, the same way it is being implemented for PreK-5? I had visitors yesterday, who were graduates of KHS, and they passed their old high school on the way coming in and were horrified to see the conditions there. I was embarrassed to admit that our Board of Ed. has let this drag on for five years and counting. What about the high school students and teachers? Are they not demoralized and embarrassed attending and working in such surroundings? Yes, most parents have resigned themselves to the situation/changes, because no one will listen to them anyway. As stated in a previous post, overcrowding can't be a factor in this change, when an invitation has gone out to another school district to send their high school students here.

Guest Parent

I know this is frustrating. I agree with everything you said. I like smaller schools too. One example of a problem with common core is science lab must be offered to all 7 and 8 graders. We would have to put in four science labs in four diff schools. I am not sure of the cost per lab but know it is expensive. And you will have to deal with plumbing and electrical issues as well. Then they would be under utilized. I think they only need to put one in in Lincoln. Its many things like that and hiring staff to teach things like foreign languages. Teachers who travel to three schools on a given day is wasting instructional time. Instead of three teachers in diff special areasa we will now only need two. 25 teachers who have retired are not being replaced because of this plan! Figure most of them at top salary plus benefits thats likely well over$125 k x 25! Times are tough taxes are high everyone has to find ways to cut back! No it is no where near ideal but maybe if some parents who feel so stong about this could come up with alternative solutions that will not cost more! I hope we can all come together on this! I know we fo not have to bus but its near impossible to drop off sFely at Lincoln School. They could work on plan for that. Lets hope it all comes together

Guest Embarrassed

I know this is frustrating. I agree with everything you said. I like smaller schools too. One example of a problem with common core is science lab must be offered to all 7 and 8 graders. We would have to put in four science labs in four diff schools. I am not sure of the cost per lab but know it is expensive. And you will have to deal with plumbing and electrical issues as well. Then they would be under utilized. I think they only need to put one in in Lincoln. Its many things like that and hiring staff to teach things like foreign languages. Teachers who travel to three schools on a given day is wasting instructional time. Instead of three teachers in diff special areasa we will now only need two. 25 teachers who have retired are not being replaced because of this plan! Figure most of them at top salary plus benefits thats likely well over$125 k x 25! Times are tough taxes are high everyone has to find ways to cut back! No it is no where near ideal but maybe if some parents who feel so stong about this could come up with alternative solutions that will not cost more! I hope we can all come together on this! I know we fo not have to bus but its near impossible to drop off sFely at Lincoln School. They could work on plan for that. Lets hope it all comes together

Thank you for your civilized response to my comment. Well, two of these schools (Schuyler and Lincoln) already have science labs (I don't know about Franklin and Washington), so, at most it would only involve two schools and, as you mentioned, they need to put extra labs in Lincoln anyway because of this change, so what is the difference? So, they will save one teacher in foreign language. The 25 replacement rookie teachers would not be hired at top step, they would be hired at first step and their salaries are quite low and now, I understand, they have to pay for a large part of their own benefits out of their salaries. Top salaried supervisory and administrative positions have not been cut, as far as I know. It is way too late for alternative solutions. For some reason this was rushed through for this year with little input from parents and no vote. One solution someone came up with, was to have two junior or middle schools (as Kearny had years ago), one in Lincoln and the other in Washington or Franklin. At least it would be more convenient and the size would be more manageable. And we still have that mess up at the high school.

Guest Parent

Thank you for your civilized response to my comment. Well, two of these schools (Schuyler and Lincoln) already have science labs (I don't know about Franklin and Washington), so, at most it would only involve two schools and, as you mentioned, they need to put extra labs in Lincoln anyway because of this change, so what is the difference? So, they will save one teacher in foreign language. The 25 replacement rookie teachers would not be hired at top step, they would be hired at first step and their salaries are quite low and now, I understand, they have to pay for a large part of their own benefits out of their salaries. Top salaried supervisory and administrative positions have not been cut, as far as I know. It is way too late for alternative solutions. For some reason this was rushed through for this year with little input from parents and no vote. One solution someone came up with, was to have two junior or middle schools (as Kearny had years ago), one in Lincoln and the other in Washington or Franklin. At least it would be more convenient and the size would be more manageable. And we still have that mess up at the high school.

No point in not having civilized discussions. You know that is not a bad idea to have two middle schools one at each end of town. Its certainly a comprimise.. This plan now it not a forever solution so maybe that idea can be presented. I think we are sunk with them hireing any teachers tho. I think The urgency was because those teachers were retireing and it was the only opportunity to do it without teplacing them. They have cut the asst superintendant and i think they are not replacing a high school vp but im not sure of that. Time will tell.

Guest Concern Parent

United School Board

As parents we should look at the candidates who will run for the board.

We need a united board. So that the education of our children will come first.

The board needs to work as a team. Members can disagree without being disagreeable. I want to see a board who can finish all the major projects, build good relations with the people of Kearny, keep taxes down and work to make our school district the best in the state.

Guest Clean House

United School Board

As parents we should look at the candidates who will run for the board.

We need a united board. So that the education of our children will come first.

The board needs to work as a team. Members can disagree without being disagreeable. I want to see a board who can finish all the major projects, build good relations with the people of Kearny, keep taxes down and work to make our school district the best in the state.

Than you better work on getting rid of everyone that is there now, except for Esteves. He has no agenda.