Fire Department Promotions

Guest Butch

It seems that Kearny may once again be promoting about 8 firefighters to the rank of Captain at the usual starting pay of $130,000.00 a year once again biting the taxpayers in the butt. There may be some layoffs due to this but the proposal to cover higher salaries with less personnel is disturbing. Why are some people so callous to offer up other peoples jobs and families futures for their own personal gain. This local union is run by the principle of greed. What are the reasons for these pricey taxpayer funded promotions? Certainly not merit. Harrison is doing great with a full compliment of 30 guys and Kearny could do the same with a total of 60 guys who mostly sleep anyway. What gives?

Guest Kearny Senior

It seems that Kearny may once again be promoting about 8 firefighters to the rank of Captain at the usual starting pay of $130,000.00 a year once again biting the taxpayers in the butt. There may be some layoffs due to this but the proposal to cover higher salaries with less personnel is disturbing. Why are some people so callous to offer up other peoples jobs and families futures for their own personal gain. This local union is run by the principle of greed. What are the reasons for these pricey taxpayer funded promotions? Certainly not merit. Harrison is doing great with a full compliment of 30 guys and Kearny could do the same with a total of 60 guys who mostly sleep anyway. What gives?

Barney, I haven't heard from you in a while. Still obsessing over the FD, that's too bad.

Thats pretty interesting being any captain that gets promoted will top out at $122,000 after 10 years in rank. Guess the town is feeling charitable and decided to raise the captains salaries. Thanks for the insider info

Not counting longevity, uniform allowance even though uniforms are supplied and dry cleaned for free. Let's not forget the 2% yearly raise, holiday pay, and boat payment for sick and vacation days. That brings the yearly salary up to at least $50,000/year. So much for the poor crying Fireman. Just about every Kearny Fireman is making over $100,000. Is that the average salary for most of the people who live in Kearny? I think not even close.

Guest Kearny Senior

Not counting longevity, uniform allowance even though uniforms are supplied and dry cleaned for free. Let's not forget the 2% yearly raise, holiday pay, and boat payment for sick and vacation days. That brings the yearly salary up to at least $50,000/year. So much for the poor crying Fireman. Just about every Kearny Fireman is making over $100,000. Is that the average salary for most of the people who live in Kearny? I think not even close.

Most of the people who live in Kearny don't willingly run into burning buildings to save lives and property. God bless our firefighters, they are truly Kearny's bravest.

Sounds like when it came time for you to make a Career decision, you chose Poorly Sport.

$150,000 grand a year AND free dry cleaning, well thats a new one,lol.

Uniforms are supplied by the Town as required by law, cleaning of uniforms is the responsibility of the Firefighter and there is no uniform allowance. Also Nomex is not to be dry cleaned.

2% raise? Nope the Town held the Firefighters to the 2% cap and with much of the Department still in steps most of the $119,000 a year we were allotted for salary went to the Firefighters still in step and required us to extend those steps from 8 to 15 in order to be 2% cap compliant. So actually the men in steps recieved the bulk of that money and Sr. firefighters recieved about 1%.

Boat Payment? No I don't own one but if your alluding to unused sick or vacation time payouts we don't have those either, a Firefighter only gets paid if he's out sick you cannot accrue sick time, vacation time is also required to be used in the calander year it is earned and can only be carried over with the approval of the Chief, again no payouts.

Promotions? They are a decision made by management (Chief) to fill vacancies or as needed, the Firefighters Union has no hand in promotions most obviously because we do not represent Officers, they have their own Union. How promotions create layoffs is beyond me, common sense would say if your going to reduce manpower then a corrosponding decrease in management would also be occuring but maybe not in your world.

Interesting you consider Harrison FD doing great in the wake of 5 Jersey City firefighters being injured in a Harrison fire this past year and local headlines and Mayors calling for Harrison to step up their manpower.

As I understand it Harrison is presently attempting to gain a SAFER grant that would allow them to substantially increase their Dept. manpower.

Whenever I read posts such as this I often wonder if the person posting is ignorant of the facts or just posting prevarications out of malice.

So Butch which are you?

The idiot or the liar?

jus sayin

What a tremendous pile of BS spoken like a captain who thinks he's both Jesus Christ to everyone and also mother Theresa to the firemen. Giving part of your money to the guys in the steps? Prove it. Where's a document that says you are using part of your $150,000.00 a year to give willingly to the new guys to supplement their income. Don't spend too much time looking because it doesn't exist moron.

Guest Kearny Senior

What a tremendous pile of BS spoken like a captain who thinks he's both Jesus Christ to everyone and also mother Theresa to the firemen. Giving part of your money to the guys in the steps? Prove it. Where's a document that says you are using part of your $150,000.00 a year to give willingly to the new guys to supplement their income. Don't spend too much time looking because it doesn't exist moron.

With Barney's obsession being what it is, I'd bet he's going trick or treating dressed like a firefighter.

Easy there Butchy you don't want to vaporlock on us now do you? What would I do for free entertainment?

All the facts are easily verifiable by you but you're not on a quest for the truth now are you?

1) Regardless of what the voices are telling you I am not an Officer, hence the use of "we" when I referred to the Firefighters

Union.

2) The bulk of the $119,000 per year the Town allowed toward raises for all Firefighters went to those Firefighters in steps

as it should have considering that even in doing this they still did not recieve the actual step raise they were due because of the

Towns unwillingness to deviate from the 2% cap. To make it simple for you the contractual step raises far exceeded $119,000 therefore the Town did not pay them. Looking for the document that proves it? It's called a contract and is part of the public record.

3) Kearny Firefighters do not earn anything near $150,000 a year if I did I'd retire tomorrow, neither does a Captain for that matter and I feel safe in saying that no Firefighter in the State of NJ earns that amount. The truth is it's just an outrageous made up number you chose in order to inflame readers of your posts that you rely on to be as ignorant as you.

4) Moron? LOL. Thats pretty funny, sorry was that supposed to make me angry?

You know Butch in retrospect maybe you should consider a slight change in your screen name, maybe swap that "U" for an "I" I think it would fit you better, don't you?

jus sayin

• 3 weeks later...