Backdraft

Guest Don Corleone

Guest Don Corleone

This put Harrison on the map..in a BAD way! The HFD turning a small fire into a dangerous explosion is being used by fire depts. nationwide as an example of what NOT to do! They were an infamous for being mediocre in Hudson County but they have now showcased their incompetence, on viral video, for the world to cringe at in disgust. This is the biggest indictment of the civil service model from sea to shining sea. Trying to blame two volunteer women from a neighboring volunteer dept. and a civilian made it a hundred times worse. Then the Harrison Fire Director says it WAS preventable. OMG! Why is their no AG investigation into this crime against humanity. That's my opinion, maybe not yours, but the facts don't lie.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Godson

I'm sure this video will be used in Fire Education classes for some time.

Lets get things straight. This was NO small fire. Upon arrival 3 buildings were involved, two buildings on Frankie Rodgers and the cock loft of the Davis St. Apartments building.

And another thing. Those women you speak of are NOT volunteers in East Newark. They once were but no longer are and haven't been for some time. (one is actually the wife of a HFD FF, who was also working with no gear) Also who's the civilian you mention? The D**b A** on the ladder with the hose, yeah he too is apparently trained and a firefighter elsewhere, I'll believe it when I see it. Should they have been doing what they were doing? No. But Harrison and East Newark should have done something about it. You see the ENFD white hat just stare at them moments before the explosion. He's lucky they didn't die.

Just had to straighten out your "facts" a little bit.

Thanks for the facts that made it an ever bigger example of what not to do. The Harrison firefighters wives have been fighting their battles for them for a long time. Now one is doing her husband's work because she is the man of their house and three fire house. Yep, exactly NOT to do is what the reporter said. What is a Granule Rodgers?

Guest Harrison Senior

This put Harrison on the map..in a BAD way! The HFD turning a small fire into a dangerous explosion is being used by fire depts. nationwide as an example of what NOT to do! They were an infamous for being mediocre in Hudson County but they have now showcased their incompetence, on viral video, for the world to cringe at in disgust. This is the biggest indictment of the civil service model from sea to shining sea. Trying to blame two volunteer women from a neighboring volunteer dept. and a civilian made it a hundred times worse. Then the Harrison Fire Director says it WAS preventable. OMG! Why is their no AG investigation into this crime against humanity. That's my opinion, maybe not yours, but the facts don't lie.

Don Barney, you need to get back on your meds. Your stupidity has reached new heights.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

After watching the videos on line the fire got out of hand because the Harrison firefighters didn't know what to do when they arrived early on and walked around like chickens without heads. They should all resign.

Mayormcdnough or should I say Governor Christie his buddy should closed down the Harrison fire dept and subcontract out to Newark who know exactly what tondo when they pull up to a fire. Ie fight the fire instead of letting it get outof hand and then call mutual aid. It's not the size of the department but the incompetent firefighter s which is the problem

Guest Guest who ?

Hmmmmm.... so you think Newark never has any big fires...... or that they never call for mutual aid. you need to read that newspaper and not just look at the pictures !

Guest Got the Answer!

Blaming firefighters is never the answer. Staffing a mid sized town like Harrison with the right amount of qualified firemen would be a better choice. When it comes down to it, The Mayor could have easily laid off high paid officials in town instead of laying off Firemen. There were hirings done to grease political wheels, And they weren't firemen that were hired. The Board of Ed hired a few unneeded people. The town is getting bigger. What do you thing potential condo buyers will think of Harrison after what they witnessed of the fire on the news? Instead of just complaining without a solution I'll offer what my Uncle thought up as a solution to the problem of a very understaffed Fire Dept.

If the Town of Harrison could get the already paid fire dept to do some Department of Public work during the time that they are waiting for fires.

Then we could eliminate the Dpw workers that are too old or fat and get a stronger DPW and a stronger Fire Dept. Do you see my reasoning here?

Make some dpw workers go to the fire academy, get trained, And have the Dpw workers/ Fire dept out there on the streets everyday doing work for the town instead of doing nothing in a firehouse and getting paid to do nothing.. This will benefit the town And clean it up immensely. The question is ..... Which dpw workers care enough about the town to get the ball rolling. This scenerio would be great for every town ,not just Harrison. Just for the paid fire depts though This was thought up by my Uncle a few weeks ago and it makes sense if you think about it..

Guest Intimidator

The Fire Director, who went along with the cuts in manpower, must resign. The HFD needs more manpower and better training. They forced out the capable firemen by threatening demotions and created a hostile work environment. A independent authority should investigate their actions. Someone is going to get killed if this continues. Where is the FMBA President? Why hasn't he commented?

Probably cause he's waiting to get promoted.

They have the evidence on tape. It has been broadcast throughout the country and when Jim Dolan wanted to question Harrison Fire Officilas, they wouldn't answer his calls. When 5 other Towns come out publicly against the HFD and threaten not to respond for mutual aid, that tells it all.

Guest Guest

if you look at the pictures the harrison guy whos in charge is not wearing his gear but every other fireman is not only that he can't put on his safety vest the right way if you didn;t know that he was in command youd think a drunk walked onto the scene that couldn't dress himself that morning pitiful/////// NO SENSE IN KEEPING A DEPT. THAT IS UNDERTRAINED get rid of the idiots and be done with it pay kearny or jersey city will probably cost less in the long run

Guest chief of dept.  usa

with all those chiefs on the scene you are telling me know one notice the backdraft forming look at the vidieo again ---unbelieveable---YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Guest Guest

It's not just the FD that gravely understaffed. The PD has long been understaffed for the past ten years. Although they rarely need or request mutual aid. They are forced to do more with less staffing and lousy equipment. Yes, the Town is getting bigger and Public Safety is getting smaller. Why do other Towns and Cities that receive additional aid from the state, allowed fully staff their Public SafetyDepartments.

Guest Guest

The Fire Director, who went along with the cuts in manpower, must resign. The HFD needs more manpower and better training. They forced out the capable firemen by threatening demotions and created a hostile work environment. A independent authority should investigate their actions. Someone is going to get killed if this continues. Where is the FMBA President? Why hasn't he commented?

They have the evidence on tape. It has been broadcast throughout the country and when Jim Dolan wanted to question Harrison Fire Officilas, they wouldn't answer his calls. When 5 other Towns come out publicly against the HFD and threaten not to respond for mutual aid, that tells it all.

"better training" how about we get them some balls to play with. You mean to say that the Harrison taxpayers need to spend more money to train our firefighters. If we have to retrain the fightfigthers then we might as well fire them and train new firefighters it will be cheaper. If they need more training we can send them over to Jersey City or Newark and they can be given on the job training.

It's time we made the Harrison firefighters do their job or fire their asses.

Guest Guest

Hmmmmm.... so you think Newark never has any big fires...... or that they never call for mutual aid. you need to read that newspaper and not just look at the pictures !

When is the last time Newark asked Harrison for aid to actually put water to a fire? Don't be ridiculous. The video shows why mutual aid is called everytime there is a fire. Harrison firefighters are not doing the job they are paid to do. If I don't do my job, I get fired. I have no sympathy for these so-called firefighters because my house and the houses of my neighbors are at stake and these firefighters simply don't fight fires they panic and don't know what to do when they get to a fire.

Guest Harrisonian

"better training" how about we get them some balls to play with. You mean to say that the Harrison taxpayers need to spend more money to train our firefighters. If we have to retrain the fightfigthers then we might as well fire them and train new firefighters it will be cheaper. If they need more training we can send them over to Jersey City or Newark and they can be given on the job training.

It's time we made the Harrison firefighters do their job or fire their asses.

When is the last time a Harrison firefighter actually went into a building and fought the fire from inside the building.

5 Jersey City firefighters were in the building and got hurt by the backdraft. Where were the Harrison fire fighters... marching in the St. Patrick's day Parade or waiting for the fire to come to them at the bar down the street on North Rodgers and Sherman?

Guest Guest

the harrison fire dept. are clowns in fire gear,, they show up in there clown car and thow confetti out a bucket at a fire they can't reach . what good is all those sirens blaring ,when they get to the fire and don't no what to do and call kearny!

Guest Harrisonian

the harrison fire dept. are clowns in fire gear,, they show up in there clown car and thow confetti out a bucket at a fire they can't reach . what good is all those sirens blaring ,when they get to the fire and don't no what to do and call kearny!

This is so funny. Humor is good when it is based on the truth. This is truly how the Harrison Fire Department operates. If you look at the video, this is exactly what happened. It wasn't Kearny that saved the day it was Jersey City. The Fire Chiefs were so tired of the clowns that they finally broke the fireman code and spoke out.

And now someone has died in a fire at 309 N. 2nd. St. Again Kearny and Jersey City were called. The Fire Director must resign, and the HFD must be merged with Kearny and E. Newark under the direction of the Kearny Chief.

Guest retired fireman

this all started wnen the ****** harrison **** ***** told the mayor -he could put any fire out with 6 men -lets put blame were blame is do,,,,he destroyed the dept. with his back door bulls-it and ******** mentality,,, he lives with one of the highest pensions in the state,, so what does he care. he got his and now he's working another job for the town -enough is enough, let someone who really NEEDS the money work i wish someone with authority would come in and really go over this town and all the wrongs and evil there is going on... this town is hopeless until someone with education and goverment know how might turn it around ????

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Guest

And now someone has died in a fire at 309 N. 2nd. St. Again Kearny and Jersey City were called. The Fire Director must resign, and the HFD must be merged with Kearny and E. Newark under the direction of the Kearny Chief.

Yeah.... How about NO.. keep your trash South of the tracks where it belongs.

Guest Joe Schattenstank

this all started wnen the ****** harrison **** ***** told the mayor -he could put any fire out with 6 men -lets put blame were blame is do,,,,he destroyed the dept. with his back door bulls-it and ******** mentality,,, he lives with one of the highest pensions in the state,, so what does he care. he got his and now he's working another job for the town -enough is enough, let someone who really NEEDS the money work i wish someone with authority would come in and really go over this town and all the wrongs and evil there is going on... this town is hopeless until someone with education and goverment know how might turn it around ????

Very accurate. This was the downfall of the HFD. In this case, who was the bigger idiot? The ****** **** ***** with the big pension and new fake job for making a statement like that, or the Mayor for believing him. Now they should put up a sign on the Avenue next to the "Feel safe under the watchful eyes of the HPD," saying Feel safe, HFD can put out any fire with 6 men.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest observer

The state law states that the minimum number of firemen on duty is 5. Harrison has 7 so they are in good shape. Harrison only requested mutual aid 4 times and rendered mutual aid 14 times. At this rate that would be , at best, needing mutual aid about 8 times this year. The real problem is having 3 Police Officers on duty per shift. On weekend nights one serious call and the rest of the town is rendered unprotected. 3 Police Officers to protect 14,000 residents in so incredibly dangerous. Right now, due to recent activities, the FD is the primary topic. One shooting or car jacking will change that focus real quick. Look at the big picture. Your chance of being a crime victim is 1000% chance higher than a fire. More Police are sorely needed but funding is the issue for both.

Guest guest

Yeah.... How about NO.. keep your trash South of the tracks where it belongs.

Easy there with the "trash" remark. You better wake up and look around kearny. The trash is well established in Kearny and has been for the last couple of years. Harrison as we knew it is long gone and the "trash" is migrating up North. It's funny when you hear a long-time resident of Kearny still be snobby and look down at Harrison. Your beloved manor section isn't what it used to be!!

The state law states that the minimum number of firemen on duty is 5. Harrison has 7 so they are in good shape. Harrison only requested mutual aid 4 times and rendered mutual aid 14 times. At this rate that would be , at best, needing mutual aid about 8 times this year. The real problem is having 3 Police Officers on duty per shift. On weekend nights one serious call and the rest of the town is rendered unprotected. 3 Police Officers to protect 14,000 residents in so incredibly dangerous. Right now, due to recent activities, the FD is the primary topic. One shooting or car jacking will change that focus real quick. Look at the big picture. Your chance of being a crime victim is 1000% chance higher than a fire. More Police are sorely needed but funding is the issue for both.

Those numbers are not true. I would make a bet East Newark alone responded to Harrison about 100 times in 2012. Request the reports, it's public record.

I'm pretty sure the Mutual Aid request numbers for 2013 are even higher. Where they are getting there data from is obviously incorrect. I can recall off the top of my head 5 times starting with the FDR fire that Kearny provided Mutual aid. The FDR fire, the following Wednesday night Harrison Requested Kearny's ladder respond to a "smoking outlet". The bakery fire, the Folders fire and the fatal fire. And thats just the past month or so. I wonder how many times East Newark responded prior to that?

Yes it is true the police are also understaffed. They need hires as well. All services are suffering, this isn't just a FD issue.

Guest Guest

Those numbers are not true. I would make a bet East Newark alone responded to Harrison about 100 times in 2012. Request the reports, it's public record.

I'm pretty sure the Mutual Aid request numbers for 2013 are even higher. Where they are getting there data from is obviously incorrect. I can recall off the top of my head 5 times starting with the FDR fire that Kearny provided Mutual aid. The FDR fire, the following Wednesday night Harrison Requested Kearny's ladder respond to a "smoking outlet". The bakery fire, the Folders fire and the fatal fire. And thats just the past month or so. I wonder how many times East Newark responded prior to that?

Yes it is true the police are also understaffed. They need hires as well. All services are suffering, this isn't just a FD issue.

ENFD was not called to either the Folgers fire, the smoking outlet or the fatal fire & 100 times are you out of your mind! You better check you info especially about the certifications of the EN firemen & their officers