"SPECIALS"

Guest EZ RIDER

Let's be fair. The Mayor and Police Chief knew what they were doing when they hired the dispatchers. They were helping out residents, while putting more uniformed and trained police officers on the Street, where we NEED THEM!!!

At the same time they saved us money, anyone who doesn't beleive this doesn't realize the cost to train and retain each and every Police Officer.

They are doing the same with hiring the specials to direct traffic and for special events! THIS WILL FREE UP TRAINED POLICE OFFICERS (WITH GUNS) TO CONTINUE DOING A GREAT JOB PROTECTING AND SERVING US!!

I DON'T THINK SO, YOU SEE THE SPECIALS THEY HIRED DON'T HAVE THE SENSE OR SKILLS TO KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THEMSELVES WITH THE PUBLIC. YES, APPARENTLY THEY ARE ATTENDING SCHOOL HOWEVER, JUST LIKE PAST PRACTICE, I'M SURE THE SCHOOL WAS TOLD TO PASS REGARDLESS. THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE FOLKS. DON'T BE FOOLED INTO THINKING "EVERYONE" HAS HAD TRAINING AND PASSED ALL THE STATE REQUIREMENTS. SAVING MONEY TILL THE SH*T HITS THE ROOF AND THE LAWSUITS COME CALLING.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU... IT IS NOT A RACE ISSUE...  SURE THERE ARE MANY HISPANICS THAT LIVE IN HARRISON THAT DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH.  BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR "AMERICAN" SPEAKING CITIZENS, WHO DON'T SPEAK SPANISH???????  WHY SHOULD AMERICANS WHO HAVE LIVED HERE ALL THERE LIVES ADAPT TO A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE IN THEIR TIME OF NEED.  WHAT ABOUT ALL THE SENIORS, WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY CALL AND THIS PERSON DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM.. BY THE TIME THEY GET SOMEONE TO HELP SOMEBODY IT MAY BE TOO LATE BECAUSE OF A LANGUAGE BARRIER...  COME ON PEOPLE, THEIR CERTAINLY IS TRAINING THAT COMES ALONG WITH THE JOB, BUT JUST LIKE EVERYTHNG ELSE HISPANICS DO.... IT IS IN THERE LANGUAGE TOO....DID THIS NEW DISPATCHER PASS ALL THE TESTS IN ENGLISH?  I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF SHE DID, OR WAS SHE ABLE TO TAKE THE TRAINING WITH THE HELP OF AN INTERPRETER???????????  WAKE UP HARRISON, LOOKS WHAT'S BECOMING OF THE TOWN YOU ALL SO LOVE....

WELL........WHAT ABOUT YOUR ENGLISH SPEAKING DISPATCHERS WHO REGARDLESS OF WHAT LANGUAGE YOU SPEAK TO THEM IN , STILL SCREW UP! SCREW UP ON BASIC CALLS AS WELL AS EMERGENCY CALLS? SO?LOVE THE SCREW UPS?

PEOPLE THAT "REFUSE" TO LEARN ENGLISH SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED CITIZENSHIP, NOR AFFORDED THE SAME RIGHTS AS THOSE WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THE TRANSITION.

CALL ME A RACIST IF YOU WILL, I REALLY DON'T CARE. RIGHT IS RIGHT. IF SOMEONE MAKES THE EFFORT TO SPEAK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THATS MUCH BETTER THAN REFUSING. THAT IS JUST ARROGANT. YES THIS IS THE USA, THE MELTING POT. BUT E N G L I S H IS THE NATIONAL TONGUE, AND SHOULD REMAIN AS SUCH!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Funny that I agree with all the banter regarding that English is the National Language. I don't feel that I am racist at all but my blood pressure rises when this issue is discussed.

The recent wave of immagrants are vastly uneducated. This wave of people are exclusively people from Latin America who could not make it in their own countries for obvious reasons and want a free ride that we offer here in the States.

These immagrants are getting a better deal than law abiding, tax paying citizens. I certainly can not work for cash, all my money is documented, thereby I pay taxes. Shouldn't these cash employees pay taxes also???

The system is breaking down because of all the free loaders and the payers will have nothing when it is their turn for help.

Where do we go for Justice??

[/quoter

READ forum "THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1907" FEBRUARY 2, 2007 9:19 am

IT EXPLAINS 'WHAT' THE DUTIES & OBLIGATIONS ARE OF 'ANY' IMMIGRANT WHO COMES TO AMERICA & IS 'lucky" ENOUGH TO BE ALLOWED CITIZENSHIP, are 'EXPECTED' OF HIM.

PEOPLE THAT "REFUSE" TO LEARN ENGLISH SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED CITIZENSHIP, NOR AFFORDED THE SAME RIGHTS AS THOSE WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THE TRANSITION.

CALL ME A RACIST IF YOU WILL, I REALLY DON'T CARE. RIGHT IS RIGHT. IF SOMEONE MAKES THE EFFORT TO SPEAK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THATS MUCH BETTER THAN REFUSING. THAT IS JUST ARROGANT. YES THIS IS THE USA, THE MELTING POT. BUT E N G L I S H IS THE NATIONAL TONGUE, AND SHOULD REMAIN AS SUCH!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Funny that I agree with all the banter regarding that English is the National Language. I don't feel that I am racist at all but my blood pressure rises when this issue is discussed.

The recent wave of immagrants are vastly uneducated. This wave of people are exclusively people from Latin America who could not make it in their own countries for obvious reasons and want a free ride that we offer here in the States.

These immagrants are getting a better deal than law abiding, tax paying citizens. I certainly can not work for cash, all my money is documented, thereby I pay taxes. Shouldn't these cash employees pay taxes also???

The system is breaking down because of all the free loaders and the payers will have nothing when it is their turn for help.

Where do we go for Justice??

[/quoter

READ forum "THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1907" FEBRUARY 2, 2007 9:19 am

IT EXPLAINS 'WHAT' THE DUTIES & OBLIGATIONS ARE OF 'ANY' IMMIGRANT WHO COMES TO AMERICA & IS 'lucky" ENOUGH TO BE ALLOWED CITIZENSHIP, are 'EXPECTED' OF HIM.

WELL IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE....however, it's not about how they(dispatchers)sound on the radio or how heavy is their accent. It's their knowledge of the job. the responsibilities and the safety of the officer. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. i think this new spanish dispatcher just serves as an escape goat for those dispatchers who normally screw up. this has been an ongoing issue since the town first hired them. the real question is: ARE ALL THE DISPATCHERS REALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION? DO THEY HAVE THE NEEDED skills. in an emergency how many of us would feel comfortable having them relate the information to us? how many of us favor one or two of the dispatchers because of their communication skills and knowledge of job. truth be told the rest are there to fill the position for payback to an elected official payback to a friend payback to a family connection.this new dispatcher is one of the many "others" there,her accent shouldn't be an excuse to axe her. i willingly to bet her skill level is the same as the "others". So, it is a RACIAL ISSUE. <_<

It is NOT a "RACIAL" issue!!! Neither she nor any others should be there if they have 'poor' linguistics ability. It just haappened that after the previous one quit, this last one now gave the 'unqualified' ones a "MAJORITY' IN BEING UNQUALIFIED & LACKING COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS in case of an emergency or another 9-11.

Don't feel sorry for this last one hired, because she wouldn't have been hired if she wasn't part of the 'payback' group that was there already.

So the pot of dingbats overflowed!!! Time to check them all out and 'test' them all on the same equipment!!!

WELL IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE....however, it's not about how they(dispatchers)sound on the radio or how heavy is their accent. It's their knowledge of the job. the responsibilities and the safety of the officer. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. i think this new spanish dispatcher just serves as an escape goat for those dispatchers who normally screw up. this has been an ongoing issue since the town first hired them. the real question is: ARE ALL THE DISPATCHERS REALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION? DO THEY HAVE THE NEEDED skills. in an emergency how many of us would feel comfortable having them relate the information to us? how many of us favor one or two of the dispatchers because of their communication skills and knowledge of job. truth be told the rest are there to fill the position for payback to an elected official payback to a friend payback to a family connection.this new dispatcher is one of the many "others" there,her accent shouldn't be an excuse to axe her. i willingly to bet her skill level is the same as the "others". So, it is a RACIAL ISSUE. <_<

There are a lot of Spanish-American born Harrison High graduates who speak English and would pass the test, who are available to be hired.

It was 'stupidity' & "payback" time that cause this unqualified girl with poor English speaking communication skills to be hired, NOT "RACIAL" ISSUES: rather "PAYBACK" ISSUES!!!!

Let's be fair. The Mayor and Police Chief knew what they were doing when they hired the dispatchers. They were helping out residents, while putting more uniformed and trained police officers on the Street, where we NEED THEM!!!

At the same time they saved us money, anyone who doesn't beleive this doesn't realize the cost to train and retain each and every Police Officer.

They are doing the same with hiring the specials to direct traffic and for special events! THIS WILL FREE UP TRAINED POLICE OFFICERS (WITH GUNS) TO CONTINUE DOING A GREAT JOB PROTECTING AND SERVING US!!

You are so misinformed, there are fewer trained "officer's w/guns" as you called it, the hiring of civilians did not free up 1 cop for road patrol...... They're are less real cops on the Harrison Police Dept. than anytime in the past 25 years.

If the crime rate fell or for that matter stayed the same as 25 years ago, it would be okay to do what the Mayor and Council have done, but lets get real, we are no longer seperated from Newark, just another part of it!!!!

So I hope that your "Specials" and non-english speaking civilian employees can keep you safe when you sleep, becasue the truth is there are alot less certified police officers on the street..

PS. If you find this troubling, feel free to contact the Mayor McDonough, Chief Kearns, or your Councilperson.........

What a great idea that would be if it were only true. The fact is that the dispatchers were hired under the guise of placing qualified Police Officers on the street thereby placing more officers on the street. The sad reality is that as a result of this move the town stopped hiring new officers to replace retired officers and this has resulted in a drastic reduction of Police Officers over the years since the dispatchers were hired. Now lets see what will happen now that they have hired the class II officers, watch the numbers of qualified officers continue to drop.

Soon we will be looking for Qualified officers and not have any available to send with the response time we have all become used to, when that day comes we will be no better than the city of Newark. Good Luck, remember, you get what you pay for

You are so misinformed, there are fewer trained "officer's w/guns" as you called it, the hiring of civilians did not free up 1 cop for road patrol...... They're are less real cops on the Harrison Police Dept. than anytime in the past 25 years.

If the crime rate fell or for that matter stayed the same as 25 years ago, it would be okay to do what the Mayor and Council have done, but lets get real, we are no longer seperated from Newark, just another part of it!!!!

So I hope that your "Specials" and non-english speaking civilian employees can keep you safe when you sleep, becasue the truth is there are alot less certified police officers on the street..

PS. If you find this troubling, feel free to contact the Mayor McDonough, Chief Kearns, or your Councilperson.........

sounds to me your the ONE THAT IS MISINFORMED AND MISSPELLED!

the civilian dispatchers have been an asset to the dept. although a few should have been fired for their job performance. nevertheless, do handle more call volume then before. if there is a drop in cop ratio in town blame your union who through out the years have allowed it. their tactic of let's make us a few deals has failed. Don't use data to ALARM residents confess your mistakes afterall you all who now suffer the workload made sure at least one of those union sellouts were elected. bitter because you happen to be bypass or transferred from that desired position. S**K it up or get the f*ck out No other dept would take you? thought so!

DON'T hold your breath these SPECIALS will complete the picture for residents to see how hiring civilians is a good move afterall.