Chirstianity

pbrown64

There has been tons of misinformation being passed around on this board.

People really shouldn't pass off information on subjects where there is no first hand knowledge or that have not been studied.

I would like the opportunity to set straight some of the misconceptions being passed around about Christianity.

To begin with, Christians sin no more or less than anyone else because of their faith. Christians are to strive to live as imitators of Christ. We strive to live according to God's will, but as children do, we often disappoint our Father when we believe we know better or rebel. The wonderful thing is that our Father recognizes that we will stumble and make mistakes and loves and forgives us anyway.

Lots of people call themselves Christians and truly believe that they are, when in fact they are not. Merely, believing in God is not enough. We are instructed in the Bible that we are to accept Christ as our savior, to repent from our previous sins, and to turn away from our previous lives of sin. We are commanded to love one another and to go out and be a witness to the world. We are instructed to use our God given talents to glorify God. And we are instructed to remain in prayer with God always.

The Bible also teaches us that we will persecuted for our faith and that as Christ did we are to endure and persevere knowing that the reward for our obedience will be received in heaven.

This situation with young Mr. La Clair and his teacher is an opportunity for Christians to be strong witnesses to the world about God's love, and forgiveness.

Although, there is a great deal of disagreement with young Mr. La Clair and his views let us not forget that even if he doesn't not accept it, he is still a child of God. God still loves him as HE does the rest of us. How are we as Christians honoring God by not speaking out against those who are judging, persecuting, and threatening this young mans safety?

I ask all those who walk with Christ to examine your hearts. Ask yourselves if you are being a good witness? Are you being loving your neighbor? Are you setting as good Christian example to those who have never heard of Christs' love and sacrifice?

And to the proclaimed "non-believers" who have posted... non belief in Christ is your choice just as it is my choice to embrace Christ. Your faith or lack thereof would not prevent me from reaching out my hand to you if you should need it.

To Matthew La Clair. I am sorry that you have been treated so badly by the community and that your own peers have been so harsh in their opinions I am sorry that the Christian community as not done more to reach out to you and your family to offer their prayers and love.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keith-Marshall

People really shouldn't pass off information on subjects where there is no first hand knowledge or that have not been studied.

I would like the opportunity to set straight some of the misconceptions being passed around about Christianity.

To begin with, Christians sin no more or less than anyone else because of their faith. Christians are to strive to live as imitators of Christ. We strive to live according to God's will, but as children do, we often disappoint our Father when we believe we know better or rebel. The wonderful thing is that our Father recognizes that we will stumble and make mistakes and loves and forgives us anyway.

Lots of people call themselves Christians and truly believe that they are, when in fact they are not. Merely, believing in God is not enough. We are instructed in the Bible that we are to accept Christ as our savior, to repent from our previous sins, and to turn away from our previous lives of sin. We are commanded to love one another and to go out and be a witness to the world. We are instructed to use our God given talents to glorify God. And we are instructed to remain in prayer with God always.

The Bible also teaches us that we will persecuted for our faith and that as Christ did we are to endure and persevere knowing that the reward for our obedience will be received in heaven.   

This situation with young Mr. La Clair and his teacher is an opportunity for Christians to be strong witnesses to the world about God's love, and forgiveness.

Although, there is a great deal of disagreement with young Mr. La Clair and his views let us not forget that even if he doesn't not accept it, he is still a child of God. God still loves him as HE does the rest of us. How are we as Christians honoring God by not speaking out against those who are judging, persecuting, and threatening this young mans safety?

I ask all those who walk with Christ to examine your hearts. Ask yourselves if you are being a good witness? Are you being loving your neighbor? Are you setting as good Christian example to those who have never heard of Christs' love and sacrifice?

And to the  proclaimed "non-believers" who have posted... non belief in Christ is your choice just as it is my choice to embrace Christ. Your faith or lack thereof would not prevent me from reaching out my hand to you if you should need it.

To Matthew La Clair. I am sorry that you have been treated so badly by the community and that your own peers have been so harsh in their opinions  I am sorry that the Christian community as not done more to reach out to you and your family to offer their prayers and love.

Thank you for your comment. This IS what a christian is supposed to be. Not mean spirited and hateful.

And to the  proclaimed "non-believers" who have posted... non belief in Christ is your choice just as it is my choice to embrace Christ. Your faith or lack thereof would not prevent me from reaching out my hand to you if you should need it.

To Matthew La Clair. I am sorry that you have been treated so badly by the community and that your own peers have been so harsh in their opinions  I am sorry that the Christian community as not done more to reach out to you and your family to offer their prayers and love.

Does God recommends also that we allow our rights as a Chritian to be taken alway from us a little at the time?

To be honest with you, Christans in general are allowing people like the LaClairs to take our freedom alway from us.

Not to long ago we could pray in our schools, what happen to that?

It was taken alway from us.

Not to long a go we had the right to have our Bibles in school? If I'm not mistaken that is not allowed anymore either.

Can anyone wear a cross pendant to school? Probably not, because it might offend someone.

Been a Christian does not mean you have to sit back and allow people to step all over your rights, and have to say thank you when they are done.

If we continue on this path, we might as well close our church doors and give up. Because people will not take us (Christians) serious.

I'm not recommended that people treat this boy bad or do anything to him, because that is not right either. In fact I do ask that people pray for him and his family. I ask the people will show him kindness.

But we can not be a lukewarm Christians either.

<BIG SNIP>

Nice Post! I applaud your Christian spirit!

The problem is that many of those ranting about this are "Sunday Morning Christians" who are perfectly happy tp lie, cheat, and steal any other time.

Well, you've got my attention. :lol:

That's what you believe. *nods*

Lots of people call themselves Christians and truly believe that they are, when in fact they are not. Merely, believing in God is not enough.

But believing in the divinity of this guy Jesus is enough. That is the defining factor of Christianity, and where the word "Christianity" comes from (after all, the word doesn't appear anywhere in the bible, iirc).

Neither you nor anyone else has the right to go on about what a "true" Christian is. If one believes in Jesus's divinity, then they are Christian--end of story. You might not like knowing that there are so many psychos out there who do crazy things in the name of your beliefs, but that does not give you the right to tell them that they are any less Christian (technically speaking) than you. They are technically (that is, they have the beliefs that define Christianity) Christian--and whether or not any one Christian thinks any other Christian(s) is "doing it right" is irrelevant to that end.

We are instructed in the Bible that we are to accept Christ as our savior, to repent from our previous sins, and to turn away from our previous lives of sin. We are commanded to love one another and to go out and be a witness to the world. We are instructed to use our God given talents to glorify God. And we are instructed to remain in prayer with God always.

The Bible also teaches us that we will persecuted for our faith

A moment of realistic self-awareness, I dare say.

and that as Christ did we are to endure and persevere knowing that the reward for our obedience will be received in heaven.   

Although, there is a great deal of disagreement with young Mr. La Clair and his views let us not forget that even if he doesn't not accept it, he is still a child of God.

Or at least, that is what your beliefs dictate.

God still loves him as HE does the rest of us. How are we as Christians honoring God by not speaking out against those who are judging, persecuting, and threatening this young mans safety?

Good question.

Quite respectable.

:( 1st you shame me! yes i was telling the board just what you posted BUT IM SORRY TO SAY I GOT WRAPED UP IN THE HEAT OF THINGS! so with that said thank you for your post! its well put and i know for fact it is what D .P. thinks too! i just wish more would speak up for JESUS on this site and in Kearny! B)

Thank you. This is most deeply appreciated.

Been a Christian does not mean you have to sit back and allow people to step all over your rights, and have to say thank you when they are done.

Nor does it mean a teacher has a right to attempt to inflict his views on his students and insinuate that Christians are somehoe better (or worse) than any others because of their religious beliefs.

If you need a reminder of the evil of "my God is better than your God" take a PATH train to Ground Zero.

Guest Keith-Marhall
Does God recommends also that we allow our rights as a Chritian to be taken alway from us a little at the time?

To be honest with you, Christans in general are allowing people like the LaClairs to take our freedom alway from us.

Not to long a go we had the right to have our Bibles in school? If I'm not mistaken that is not allowed anymore either.

Can anyone wear a cross pendant to school? Probably not, because it might offend someone.

If we continue on this path, we might as well close our church doors and give up. Because people will not take us (Christians) serious.

I'm not recommended that people treat this boy bad or do anything to him, because that is not right either. In fact I do ask that people pray for him and his family. I ask the people will show him kindness.

Just exactly what "freedom" is being taken away from you? The freedom the "preach" in a public school? Meanwhile your boy George "W" just circumvented the law again and now he can open your mail without a warrant. You wanna B**ch about losing rights? why don't you chew on that one for a while?

Your faith and the right to be in prayer with God is not limited to a building or institution.

Yes, there have been many limitations placed on religious expression in our schools, and government but those limitations can not prevent one who wants to pray! Prayer need not take place behind closed doors or in front of an audience.

Our right to religious freedom may be challenging but all the really means is that we need to be more creative in how we worship.

That's what you believe. *nods*

Yes. that is what I believe.

But believing in the divinity of this guy Jesus is enough.

Many people believe in God. Satan believes in God too, but that is not enough.

What separates us from God is sin.

Romans 3:23 says," for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

God loves us, and cannot stand to allow this separation or sin. But because He is perfect, he cannot allow our sin to go unpunished without ceasing to be perfect because He would then cease to be God. The sin-bill must be paid. Religion and good living cannot pay it. That price was paid by Christ.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 6:23 says, "for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Neither you nor anyone else has the right to go on about what a "true" Christian is.

Matthew 28:18-20 (otherwise know as the Great Commission~~it's a special calling from Jesus Christ to all His followers to take specific action while on this earth.)

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

This is all the authority that I need.

It is not my intention to force my faith down anyones throat. But I do have the right to profess, publicly, where my faith lies and to back it up with God's word. My job as a follower of Christ to is proclaim what I know to be the truth. How it is received is God's business.

Your faith and the right to be in prayer with God is not limited to a building or institution.

Yes, there have been many limitations placed on religious expression in our schools, and government but those limitations can not prevent one who wants to pray! Prayer need not take place behind closed doors or in front of an audience.

Our right to religious freedom may be challenging but all the really means is that we need to be more creative in how we worship.

And to add to that, of course people can wear their religious symbols to schools, including pendants.

Yes. that is what I believe.

Many people believe in God. Satan believes in God too, but that is not enough.

What separates us from God is sin.

Romans 3:23 says," for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

God loves us, and cannot stand to allow this separation or sin. But because He is perfect, he cannot allow our sin to go unpunished without ceasing to be perfect because He would then cease to be God. The sin-bill must be paid. Religion and good living cannot pay it. That price was paid by Christ.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 6:23 says, "for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Matthew 28:18-20 (otherwise know as the Great Commission~~it's a special calling from Jesus Christ to all His followers to take specific action while on this earth.)

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

It is not my intention to force my faith down anyones throat. But I do have the right to profess, publicly, where my faith lies and to back it up with God's word. My job as a follower of Christ to is proclaim what I know to be the truth. How it is received is God's business.

Yes, you can do it publicly on your own property, not on community property.

You can stand on a street corner with a carboard sign proclaiming the end of the earth with the other loonies.

Just don't come to my house, or my school, or expect preferential treatment from the police because you have a "higher" authority than our local laws.

You Christians make me want to puke. Why not bring your message to the Mark Foleys and Ted Haggards instead?

You are ignorant of how the law works.

Here are some things kids can do at school :

Children can bring bibles/korans/torahs to school.

Children can wear cross necklaces to school.

Children can pray in school.

Noone is suggesting they not be able to do those things. The restrictions are not on the children. The restrictions are on the school. Here are some things the school cannot do :

The school cannot give the students bibles/korans/torahs.

The school cannot lead the students in prayer or other religous ceremonies.

The school cannot preach religous beliefs to the students.

What the LaClairs are doing is protecting our rights, not trying to take them away. The constitution establishes that our nation is not a religous state like so many middle eastern countries are. Our country's government is not supposed to support any one religion, but rather treat all citizens of all religions with equal respect. What the LaClairs are protecting is our right to send our children to school and not have someone else's religous views taught to them. Thank god for the LaClairs.

Also from Matthew:

6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly

6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking

Ms. Brown opened this topic in a spirit of peace and harmony. While I don't agree with every word she wrote, and while I can't impose my will on anyone who wishes to post, I respectfully ask writers to take their discussions to another topic, and let this room be what she intended it to be.

Also from Matthew:

6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly

6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking

Who gives a $hit !!!!

Public schools are not church. I might as well complain about being persecuted for being a Christian if I got fired from my job for reading the Bible during office hours.

We have our homes, churches and religious private schools. No one is going to touch that.

Besides that, mandating prayer in school goes against Christianity. Prayer has to spring from within, not be mandated by a teacher.

You are familiar with the Sermon on the Mount, I assume. Being Christian is certainly not defined by wearing the Cross, saying your prayers in public or carrying the Bible around.

I wonder about my fellow Christians who feel that taking up a fight like this brings anything but transient Earthly glory.

Truthfully, Laclair's actions do *nothing* to prevent anyone from coming closer to the true glory of God.

Let's take talk of faith off of the table for a moment.

I have no clue how many of those who post on these boards actually live in town but I'm sure it is not all.

To those who post from other areas: You have no investment in Kearny, or it's people. What do you gain from inciting hatred and division is this community?

To those who live in the Kearny community: Where is your sense of community pride? Don't you see that you have set fire to your own home and are doing nothing but standing around watching it burn?

It's shameful how most of you are acting, and how fast you are to cut someone down whenever they speak out in defense of another.

I know that there a many people in town who are disgusted and fed up with this behavior. It's unfortunate that they have not found the courage to stand up and speak out yet. However, I can't imagine that will be the case much longer.

Like it or not we all have a right to voice our opinions and file complaints against perceived and actual injustices. We do not however, have the right to vilify, malign, or destroy a persons character because we disagree with them. Nor do we have the right to threatened or encourage the use of violence against another.

Has it occurred to anyone that the atmosphere in Kearny not only affects morale, but also sets the tone for how others view the town. Who would want to purchase a home in a town that is overwrought with such hatred and bias, with a leadership that fails to take action. Who would want their children educated in a district where a students safety is optional. I certainly wouldn't

I am asking that the town leadership, religious leadership, residents, and those with vested interested in Kearny to step up and set the example. Who is going to be the first one to step up and do the right thing?????

This situation need not be a reason for division but rather an opportunity to truly show love for your neighbors.

Let's take talk of faith off of the table for a moment.

I have no clue how many of those who post on these boards actually live in town but I'm sure it is not all.

To those who post from other areas: You have no investment in Kearny, or it's people. What do you gain from inciting hatred and division is this community?

To those who live in the Kearny community: Where is your sense of community pride? Don't you see that you have set fire to your own home and are doing nothing but standing around watching it burn?

It's shameful how most of you are acting, and how fast you are to cut someone down whenever they speak out in defense of another.

I know that there a many people in town who are disgusted and fed up with this behavior. It's unfortunate that they have not found the courage to stand up and speak out yet. However, I can't imagine that will be the case much longer.

Like it or not we all have a right to voice our opinions and file complaints against perceived and actual injustices.  We do not however, have the right to vilify, malign, or destroy a persons character because we disagree with them. Nor do we have the right to threatened or encourage the use of violence against another.

Has it occurred to anyone that the atmosphere in Kearny not only affects morale, but also sets the tone for how others view the town.  Who would want to purchase a home in a town that is overwrought with such hatred and bias, with a leadership that fails to take action. Who would want their children educated in a district where a students safety is optional. I certainly wouldn't

I am asking that the town leadership, religious leadership, residents, and those with vested interested in Kearny to step up and set the example. Who is going to be the first one to step up and do the right thing?????

This situation need not be a reason for division but rather an opportunity to truly show love for your neighbors.

I second this, and add that this situation, unfortunate as it is in its genesis, presents the Kearny School District with a marvelous opportunity to educate!

It was taken alway from us.In all fairness do we pray just the christain or do we do a christian prayer, followed by a muslim,Hebrew, Buddist prayers?

Not to long a go we had the right to have our Bibles in school? If I'm not mistaken that is not allowed anymore either.There's nothing written saying a child cannot carry their bible in school. They just cannot read it outloud or form a bible study group in school.

Can anyone wear a cross pendant to school? Probably not, because it might offend someone.Still legal it's called Jewelry

Keep your religion out of the schools, you want to pratice do it on Sunday or Saturday on your time on your dime.