Cops and Firemen should live in town!

Guest Town resident

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very nice but what if you don't have enough people in town who want to take those jobs? Every town is different. Some towns won't have enough people to provide those services, or provide them well. We have some excellent officers and firefighters from outside Kearny, and some knuckleheads from within the town. So the idea, if put into practice, wouldn't help our community.

So you are saying the officers and firefighters that are from town are knuckleheads? Do you really think we would not be able to fill these jobs with town residents? If your answer is yes I'm sorry I must disagree.

God bless the Chief of police and the Fire Chief who both choose to live in the town they serve and that goes for all the other brave public servants who live and defend their home town! Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SemperFi

God bless the Chief of police and the Fire Chief who both choose to live in the town they serve and that goes for all the other brave public servants who live and defend their home town! Thank you all!

The dont live in town by choice. It is a requirement by the town, not by Civil Service.

I merely didn't want assholes like YOU for a neighbor....thanks for making my point for me. Oh and now, i'm retired and taking your tax money completely out of the state... Thanks again.

Wow you are a Dlck!

The Cops are a bunch of cowarsd and P---ys Graff taking frauds who are being accussed of being murderers May be its all those voices they are hearing at their weather station LOL

Google Translate just doesn't do a very good job does it??? Or are you just THAT Illiterate?

Guest Retired chief

The dont live in town by choice. It is a requirement by the town, not by Civil Service.

Nonsense. The town doesn't have the authority to impose residency requirements on any cop or firefighter. State law supercedes

all municipal rules.If the chiefs live in town it's their choice.

There was a residency clause years ago, it was lost due to an NAACP lawsuit. The Mayor promised to fight the ruling, but has since abandoned this position.

I agree with you, we should hire from within. BUT, you have to take that up with the Mayor, no idea why he changed his mind.

You could thank Councilwoman Doyle. She was the one who contacted the N.A.A.C.P. and started this non residency law. N.A. Lynndhurst are not involved with N.A.A.C.P.

Guest Loyal to Kearny

But who's Chief is choice of mayor and council and they could decide to only appoint a Kearny resident. You can do that as long as long as you're appointing one of top three candidates on list.

But who's Chief is choice of mayor and council and they could decide to only appoint a Kearny resident. You can do that as long as long as you're appointing one of top three candidates on list.

The town has never used the Rule of 3 before..i think they'd have a fight on their hands if they tried it now..especially if they chose a less qualified person just because of where he lived.

Guest Semper Fi

Kearny is run by the regulations of Civil Service which issues the test and provides eligible candidates. If the town bumped someone because of residency but not have residency requirements, I would love to be the Lawyer that gets the case. NA and Lyndhurst are both volunteer which was not part of the NAACP suit

• 1 month later...
Guest J Redemption

All cops and firemen should live in the town where they are employed period. If those people would stay here then they would be more concerned about their community because it would be their hometown community Not just a place to spend 8 hours in then leave. If they were actually forced to walk a beat in a few neighborhoods each, Then there would be a repoire built between the people and the police. If all the civil servents lived in the town and were all active members of the community then things would get better. But the situation is this. A cop or fireman grows up in Kearny gets married and leaves the town, Buys a house elsewhere then comes back to town for a job. Lessons can be learned from East Newark as a few cops that grew up in East newark actually stayed there and still live there. Which totally proves my point.

Funny thing,

Years ago when the NAACP initiated it's litigation against the Town and it's residency requirement there was a hiring of 5 RESIDENT firefighters during the process.

The NAACP took exception to this and wanted the RESIDENT FIREFIGHTERS dismissed until they had their day in court of course expecting to prevail (obviously they did) and then have non-resident (read Newark) residents hired.

These men had quit their jobs and were now forced to pool their money to hire legal representation in hopes of keeping their positions with the KFD.

I along with many other Kearny Firefighters went to Judge Marion Barry Trumps courtroom to show support for these men and their families, residents all, when she made her decision.

I don't remember seeing any of you Conserned Citizens there.

You guys are a day late and a dollar short.

jus sayin

Guest Guest

Everyone talks about cops and firemen not living in town.............

How about the mayor????? Hmmmmmmmm....... Don't see him after business hours or weekends.......

Guest A Real Resident

On Sundays, try St. Cecilia's Church, 11:05 a.m. Mass. Mayor is usually towards the back, right side if you're facing the altar.

Everyone talks about cops and firemen not living in town.............
How about the mayor????? Hmmmmmmmm....... Don't see him after business hours or weekends.......

• 1 month later...
Guest hello

The NAACP law suit was based on the fact there were not enough minorities living in the Town...I believe today that is not the situation.....If the Town wanted to re visit that they might stand an excellent chance on winning the requirement!

Guest Guest

The NAACP law suit was based on the fact there were not enough minorities living in the Town...I believe today that is not the situation.....If the Town wanted to re visit that they might stand an excellent chance on winning the requirement!

No, the NAACP lawsuit was based on the fact that None of the Town departments had any Black Employees..Period, there were several Hispanic Police Officers and Town workers that did not matter to the NAACP..NAACP will never EVER allow the town to go back to having a residency requirement, pure and simple.

• 1 year later...
Guest Kearny1

On Tuesday November 11 2014 there is a town and council meeting where residents will be voicing their opinion on hiring in town residents first. If you would like to support this movement please attend the meeting