Fire Department Antics

Guest guest

From what I heard and in my opinion, the Jersey Shore PAID FDs retreated instead of bravely helping the residents concerning the storm while the volunteer FDs stayed and helped. That's nothing new. Volunteer firemen are always better because they live in the town where they work. Most paid fire depts. like Harrison and Kearny have only a handful of unskilled, poorly educated laborers ( firemen) that live and live and lounge in those towns. How is Hudson County getting anything done with so many politicians and public employees not showing up for work because their homes down the shore got hit.

All highly paid, so that means all public employees in Hudson County must be required to live in the town where they work or in the FDs case sleep. No exceptions. It's time for someone to propose and implement this requirement. It's long past due.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Harrison Senior

From what I heard and in my opinion, the Jersey Shore PAID FDs retreated instead of bravely helping the residents concerning the storm while the volunteer FDs stayed and helped. That's nothing new. Volunteer firemen are always better because they live in the town where they work. Most paid fire depts. like Harrison and Kearny have only a handful of unskilled, poorly educated laborers ( firemen) that live and live and lounge in those towns. How is Hudson County getting anything done with so many politicians and public employees not showing up for work because their homes down the shore got hit.

All highly paid, so that means all public employees in Hudson County must be required to live in the town where they work or in the FDs case sleep. No exceptions. It's time for someone to propose and implement this requirement. It's long past due.

Good boy Barney, you remembered to take your bitter and jealous pills today.

Guest haligan

I am a Harrison firefighter and I live here. If you were out the night of the hurricane you would have seen for yourself what the HFD did. We saved about 170 people but you don't see that in the paper. The PA gave awards for saving people at our path station we were there no mention of the HFD. The town attorney was one of the first people who needed help. Who did he call the HFD. We don't need any thanks but if you weren't there

don't comment. Or better yet come by the firehouse and ask who did what. Ask the residents of Cleveland ave, First st, Bergen ave, Passaic ave. And many more.

Just curious.... After reading the above post, It seems that the person who wrote it is aware of some problems with fire department personel on the day of the hurricane. So to clarify the issue I am asking were there any issues with the performance of the members of the fire department ? Was the fire house unmanned because the members failed to show up for work ? Were they unable to perform thier duties because they were unskilled ( untrained ) uneducated ot cowards ? Were there any cases of them retreating ?

While it may be true that some may have had their homes damaged, did anyone fail to come to work and in essence abandoned their post

I'm just trying to find the basis for the implications that you are making at the men and women who left their homes and families to risk their lives to save residents in the more populated areas of NJ.

If you have actual evidence of any of the above, please share it not only with us here.

Guest Harrison Senior

Just curious.... After reading the above post, It seems that the person who wrote it is aware of some problems with fire department personel on the day of the hurricane. So to clarify the issue I am asking were there any issues with the performance of the members of the fire department ? Was the fire house unmanned because the members failed to show up for work ? Were they unable to perform thier duties because they were unskilled ( untrained ) uneducated ot cowards ? Were there any cases of them retreating ?

While it may be true that some may have had their homes damaged, did anyone fail to come to work and in essence abandoned their post

I'm just trying to find the basis for the implications that you are making at the men and women who left their homes and families to risk their lives to save residents in the more populated areas of NJ.

If you have actual evidence of any of the above, please share it not only with us here.

Better double up on the bitter and jealousy pills, Barney.

First, it's my OPINION and here's another. You are another HHS product who cannot read. I am very curious what Joe Hero Firepants means when he said they, the HFD, saved 170 people. What did the self-proclaimed bravest save them from? If they don't crave ego fueling attention why is the lounge chair crew on the forum begging for attention? There is not one other dept. in town crying, "Look at me, look at me." Save the big talk for contract time just like when you use 9/11 in contract talks althought the HFD did nothing but watch it on TV.

Guest Anonymous

if you are on the town payroll, you should have 6 mos. to move to the town you work in or lose your job. If you are offered employment, you should have to establish residency in the town offering it to you BEFORE you start. That's it. Period.

First, it's my OPINION and here's another. You are another HHS product who cannot read. I am very curious what Joe Hero Firepants means when he said they, the HFD, saved 170 people. What did the self-proclaimed bravest save them from? If they don't crave ego fueling attention why is the lounge chair crew on the forum begging for attention? There is not one other dept. in town crying, "Look at me, look at me." Save the big talk for contract time just like when you use 9/11 in contract talks althought the HFD did nothing but watch it on TV.

Can you say MORON. HFD here to stay GET OVER IT ALREADY !!!

if you are on the town payroll, you should have 6 mos. to move to the town you work in or lose your job. If you are offered employment, you should have to establish residency in the town offering it to you BEFORE you start. That's it. Period.

And yet we have another MORON!!! You can't force policemen or firemen to move into town it is unconstitutional. THAT'S IT PERIOD!!! The town attorneys don't even live in town you MORON!!!

Guest Harrison Senior

I think you've been skipping doses of your bitter and jealousy pills. The doctor can't help you if you don't listen to him.

Barney has a new name, he's so slick.

Guest Harrison Senior

Tell the Governor, Barney. The residency law was repealed under Governor Cahill in 1973.

MORON !!!

& yet another MORON!! Forcing Police & Firemen to move into town is Unconstitutional PERIOD!! & the 2 town attorneys don't even live in town. You truly are a MORON!!

Guest Harrison's Bravest

& yet another MORON!! Forcing Police & Firemen to move into town is Unconstitutional PERIOD!! & the 2 town attorneys don't even live in town. You truly are a MORON!!

Barney knows there's no residency requirements in NJ. Just ignore this jerk

Guest Tru Dat

One issue at a time. How were 170 people SAVED by the Harrison Fire Dept? It's easy to throw out an random number like that but proving it is another. Saved from what? Death, a cold, being deprived of cable TV? What were the circumstances? I saved 500 people that day myself. That's an even higher number. Now I'm the real hero, right?

The self-proclaimed smoke eaters should look at how much is being taken out of their check now for health insurance. That wasn't happening in 1973 either. New Governor, new man at the top of the food chain. The ineffective "Me First" joke of a protest didn't deter the King of Trenton and his associates in recent history. One swipe of the pen and the law of the land shall be changed with bi-partisan support. They laziest rode into Trenton the last time full of bravado and defiance. They were sent home with bruised egos and lighter pockets. That really stung like a bee.

It's also insulting to the residents of Harrison about how aggressive you get about living amongst the folks that pay your inflated salary. It further enforces the notion that you feel superior to "them" and it would be below station for the barbecue boys to live along side the commoners. Why is the HFD so against living in town? I guess the lives of the families in Harrison aren't as valuable as the clubhouse crews families. It's a damn shame that you look down on the sheep. Those are my opinions anyway.

The firemens hyper inflate egos and harsh words towards the people is just simply wrong on so many levels. I just don't understand why it infuriates the HFD members if asked to live, shop, and have their children attend school with fine residents of Harrison or even take a simple drug test for that matter. Condescending attitudes and hypocrisy at its worst by the HFD.

The Harrison Fire Department said they would always have the rank of Chief. Then the co-Mayor of Harrison and former Chief TOLD the clubhouse members that he was going to be the last Fire Chief in Harrison and the little boys in red suspenders said they would not allow that to happen. How are you making out with filling that spot guys? When the HFD members say they will not allow something to happen you can bet your bottom dollar that they are empty words.

Guest Harrison Senior

One issue at a time. How were 170 people SAVED by the Harrison Fire Dept? It's easy to throw out an random number like that but proving it is another. Saved from what? Death, a cold, being deprived of cable TV? What were the circumstances? I saved 500 people that day myself. That's an even higher number. Now I'm the real hero, right?

The self-proclaimed smoke eaters should look at how much is being taken out of their check now for health insurance. That wasn't happening in 1973 either. New Governor, new man at the top of the food chain. The ineffective "Me First" joke of a protest didn't deter the King of Trenton and his associates in recent history. One swipe of the pen and the law of the land shall be changed with bi-partisan support. They laziest rode into Trenton the last time full of bravado and defiance. They were sent home with bruised egos and lighter pockets. That really stung like a bee.

It's also insulting to the residents of Harrison about how aggressive you get about living amongst the folks that pay your inflated salary. It further enforces the notion that you feel superior to "them" and it would be below station for the barbecue boys to live along side the commoners. Why is the HFD so against living in town? I guess the lives of the families in Harrison aren't as valuable as the clubhouse crews families. It's a damn shame that you look down on the sheep. Those are my opinions anyway.

The firemens hyper inflate egos and harsh words towards the people is just simply wrong on so many levels. I just don't understand why it infuriates the HFD members if asked to live, shop, and have their children attend school with fine residents of Harrison or even take a simple drug test for that matter. Condescending attitudes and hypocrisy at its worst by the HFD.

Thank you for your opinion Barney. You're still a jerk that could never make the grade to be a Harrison firefighter. And I don't know anyone who cares about where any firefighter or cop or sanitation guy lives. We only want a phone call to bring help when we need it, and with the HPD and HFD we get it.

Crying again, awwww let me get you some warm milk for your baba, MORON!! First of all it's not about wanting or not wanting to live in Harrison, it's about YOU can't tell policemen & firemen they have to live there. In the near future when redevelopment kicks in Harrison will be buzzing & you will still sit on your porch with your thumb up your a$$ complaining. Imagine buying a home & having your sorry,complaining a$$ as a neighbor. As far as the rescues HFD,HPD & DPW did a Great Job & made many rescues that night in the storm, as well as servicing the town for the days following. All while you where inside your home angry that you had no power to write all you stupid nonsense on this site. & let's not forget the rescue on Central Ave the other morning that no one is talking about.

The Harrison Fire Department said they would always have the rank of Chief. Then the co-Mayor of Harrison and former Chief TOLD the clubhouse members that he was going to be the last Fire Chief in Harrison and the little boys in red suspenders said they would not allow that to happen. How are you making out with filling that spot guys? When the HFD members say they will not allow something to happen you can bet your bottom dollar that they are empty words.

It is unfortunate they lost a Chiefs spot & HPD, HFD & DPW been cut by more than 60% due to bad economic times. The Mayor knows how valuable these services are, I know the many residents in town also feel the same. Rebuilding all theses services rests on the redevelopment which is moving forward very rapidly. As far as the comments from the previous chief, if they were true, didn't he also say he would be Fire Director & Public Safety Director?

HHS Educated people really do argue a lot. Fire fighters should all volunteer. Should All live in the town they volunteer in. Harrison is a joke, When the curfew was called for, there was no police around to enforce it. There were kids walking around in the dark texting. East Newark helped out Harrison immensly the night of the storm. Volunteers!!, Doing a better job with more care and professionalism than the paid firemen. And who gives a rats ass about some washed up ** **** ****** from Central ave. This town is a mess that gets worse as time goes by.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Mr. Inside

Being the all knowing person person that I am I can see that the diaper dandies at the HFD know very little. I am not referring to their general peak of a high scool education, but rather other issues. From my understanding, before the hurricane the bi-partisan folks in Trenton (you remember them; smaller check, increased pension contribution) are making plans to make drastic cuts or eliminate longevity pay. As of the current status, residency requirements may also be on the horizon next time the smoke clears you crazy fear no danger madmen. These changes may effect future and current mommas boyz. All in all, it's just another brick in the wall. To put it on your educational level, dem is my apinyuns.

HHS Educated people really do argue a lot. Fire fighters should all volunteer. Should All live in the town they volunteer in. Harrison is a joke, When the curfew was called for, there was no police around to enforce it. There were kids walking around in the dark texting. East Newark helped out Harrison immensly the night of the storm. Volunteers!!, Doing a better job with more care and professionalism than the paid firemen. And who gives a rats ass about some washed up ** **** ****** from Central ave. This town is a mess that gets worse as time goes by.

First E. Newark DID NOT help out immensely the night of the storm, another problem with this site anyone can say anything without any validation! & second you are an a$$, just goes to show you what kind of person you are. Firemen or policemen are there for people they don't know including the ones that hate them,which includes you. MORON!!

Guest Turbriskafill

The Firemen who posted as, "guest(s)," should full well know that IT IS about not wanting to live in Harrison. What Sponge Bob Hero Pants fails to realize how deeply his big mouth insulted his boss, the fine Mayor Raymond McDonough and the council members who ALL live in Harrison, some being lifelong residents. The Mayor refers to Harrison as, "My town," because he takes pride in the community and has concern for the people. The Firemen who expressed that they are too above the residents should remember that the politicians will take your disparaging remarks about the townfolk, including their families, to heart for the short period of future negotiations. There must be nothing like showing up for contract talks against your bosses who you have deemed as a lower form of life.

Mr. Sweeny in Trenton(D) has proposed a bill that will mandate regionalization and if towns or cities do not comply they will get no further state aid and a yearly fine. The Clubhouse sleepers can cry all they want about not being on the front page of the sensationalist newspaper, The Jersey Journal or Observer, but that's not going to help. Ranks and salaries are going to see drastic cuts in these mergers. Go march on Trenton all you want but you would be remiss in not knowing who the real bosses in the state of New Jersey. If Harrison changes it's name to Sweeneyville or Christietown it's still not going to help.

It was entertaining the first time the cowards rallied in Trenton. The next time they can sell hot dogs and fries at the rally to make-up for the disappearing longevity pay. Raises or promotions should br given for COLA or merit only, not for just showing up for 80 days a year of leisure. The DPW and HPD did a good job, but the firemen, Nah! Thems there is my opinions for the guys that hang their G.E.D.s in a frame on the firehouse wall.