Vote Yes

Guest concerned parent

Guest concerned parent

The schools are in poor shape, we need a football field and the track field two! Our children need these things, vote yes for the school budget. Our children desevre nothing but the best. Senshi and the other dukenet ones are poor examples of kearnys fine students, they were probably the kids shoved in the gym lockers. To bad some bleeding heart let them out.

Guest HonestAbe

For a parent, you truly have some SERIOUS issues...resorting to attacking teens, possibly your child's peers. Do you know what your child is doing at all times? As for our teen posters, they are voicing their 1st amendment rights and taking part in our community. Diversity in opinion is a great thing.

Now, as to the budget...I find it funny how the School Board budget is always couched in terms of "helping our children" when in reality the most money spent by the Board of ED never reaches our children. SAD. I'm not knocking teachers or other employees of the Board of ED but the majority of our tax dollars are not spent on our students or programs for our students. So...I urge you to attend the budget meetings and ask questions and don't settle for uneducated, belittling answers. Oh...by the way, who are the candidates for this year's Board of ED? Have they filed yet? Isn't it usually in January that candidates file? It's been pretty quiet and I haven't seen much or heard much about the canidates.

Senshi and the other dukenet ones are poor examples of kearnys fine students, they were probably the kids shoved in the gym lockers.

Heh. While I do fit in the lockers at school I've never been shoved in there. And I hate to tell you this, but you need a reality check. If you think we are a poor example of Kearny's fine students then you haven't seen Kearny kids in school. How many other fine Kearny kids do you see participating in their town discussions? Who are you to judge us, when you don't know anything about us.

The schools are in poor shape, we need a football field and the track field two! Our children need these things, vote yes for the school budget. Our children desevre nothing but the best. Senshi and the other dukenet ones are poor examples of kearnys fine students, they were probably the kids shoved in the gym lockers. To bad some bleeding heart let them out.

All the kids in Kearny who are into school spirit snort it up their nose in a powdery, white form. :D

Guest drug free

Not all kids, perhaps you should try drug testing some of our police officers and firemen!!!!!! nah you would have to probably test them more for alchohol!! seen a few pop out of our local establishments and get behind the wheel, but they are except from all the rules its do as i say not as i do.

Possibly some adults nah how about the whole damn population, would surprise you with the numbers who dib and dab a little. So, dont' just blame the youth of this country its all. B):ph34r:

Guest Disrespectful youth
Not all kids, perhaps you should try drug testing some of our police officers and firemen!!!!!! nah you would have to probably test them more for alchohol!! seen a few pop out of our local establishments and get behind the wheel, but they are except from all the rules its do as i say not as i do.

Possibly some adults nah how about the whole damn population, would surprise you with the numbers who dib and dab a little. So, dont' just blame the youth of this country its all. B):ph34r:

Don't your parents teach you about respect?

You deserve a slap upside your F'kn head, ya punk!

Possibly some adults nah how about the whole damn population, would surprise  you with the numbers who dib and dab a little.  So, dont' just blame the youth of this country its all. B)  :ph34r:

Don't your parents teach you about respect?

You deserve a slap upside your F'kn head, ya punk!

well..

that was just a tad out of line, now wasn't it?

all he said was that adults do drugs as much as children. whether he has proof or not, that's no reason to dispute his upbringing.

:ph34r:B):lol:

i of course was not mentioned, as a fat kid i'd never fit in any locker.

Guest Colddayinhell

Vote yes ...are you crazy ....yes the kids need all those things and more teachers ...but when the administration is cut to a 3rd of what it is we may save money and have enough to provide teachers and quality eqipment for them to do there jobs ....get a new board and fire all Administration and have them re-apply for the new positions that will force them to do some work.

The Board of Education should pay more attention to education. Doesn't the Town have a Recreation Dept. ? I object to having BOE taxes spent on things other than education. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, aren't schools for education?

Guest Guest who?
The Board of Education should pay more attention to education. Doesn't the Town have a Recreation Dept. ? I object to having BOE taxes spent on things other than education. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, aren't schools for education?

Athletics get many kids into college that might not otherwise get in. High school athletics are also a very educational part of life.

yeah lets throw more money at em. Just look at the quality students this system produces. What was the schools report card these past years? How many go on to further their education? The sad thing is that the kids pay the price of a poor education. :ph34r:

The Board of Education should pay more attention to education.  Doesn't the Town have a Recreation Dept. ?  I object  to having BOE taxes spent on things other than education.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, aren't schools for education?

Athletics get many kids into college that might not otherwise get in. High school athletics are also a very educational part of life.

College should exist for education only!

Guest StudiesandObservations
If you have deep pockets than vote yes

It doesn't matter if the budget doesn't pass, the mayor & company will just quietly give them back the money.

No, if the Budget doesnt pass, the State will step in and impose it anyway, just like always.

Guest Guest

It doesn't matter if the budget doesn't pass, the mayor & company will just quietly give them back the money.

No, if the Budget doesnt pass, the State will step in and impose it anyway, just like always.

so, you're saying the M&C have no power to cut the budget when its been defeated. are you saying that the state will just restore the money? is that how the system works? or is that how the mayor has you convinced it works? wake up!

Guest Guest 99

Yes, that IS how the system works. :ph34r:

No, the governing body does have the power to cut the BOE budget. However, if the BOE doesn't accept the cuts, they appeal to the state and, if seen as warranted, the ENTIRE budget can be reinstated.

Guest StudiesandObservations

so, you're saying the M&C have no power to cut the budget when its been defeated. are you saying that the state will just restore the money? is that how the system works? or is that how the mayor has you convinced it works? wake up!

No, it has NOTHING to do with this Mayor, who i am not a fan of anyway, but for different reasons than this. In fact this same exact Scenario happaned under Henry Hill, Ken Lindenfelser, Pete McIntyre, Leo Vartan, and the one Mayor Between Hill and Lindenfelser, who's name just escapes me at the moment. It's a common occurrance.

Guest HonestAbe

If the Bd of Ed budget is defeated, the mayor and council can do several things including 1) approve the entire budget; 2) review the budget and propose several cuts to amend the budget or 3) vote down the budget. The latter has not happended in years. I don't understand why the mayor and council do not take a gamble and let it go down to the State. The State does not always believe that the proposed budgets are warranted and may order the Bd of Ed to cut its budget. This my friends is a game of chicken. The Bd of Ed uses is to scare the mayor and council "oooooo we're going to the state" and the mayor and council take it. Unbelievable.

Back to my original question, are there any candidates for this year's bd of ed election? Things appear to be so quiet. If someone knows who's running, could you please post their names? Thanks.

Let's take this thing one question at a time. What really happens when a school budget is defeated?

First, remember what it is that the voters defeat. It isn't the budget that's defeated. It's the tax levy to pay for the budget that's defeated. If the voters are unhappy with the tax levy and vote it down, it goes to the Mayor and Council.

Now, the Mayor and Council reviews the budget to see how the tax levy can be reduced. Cuts are suggested as well as revenue sources that may not have been included in the budget. Add up the cuts and new revenues and you come up with a new (lower) tax levy.

Now, the Board of Education looks at the proposed cuts and new revenue sources to determine if they can still deliver a "thorough and efficient" education with the reduced tax levy. If they feel they cannot, they appeal the budget cuts to the State.

Now, the State looks at the budget cuts to see if they feel a "thorough and efficient" can still be delivered. The State can then restore individual budget item cuts if the State feels that item is necessary to delivery a "thorough and efficient" education.

What has happened recently in Kearny? Of the last 5 budgets that were defeated, only one was appealed to the State - in 2001. In researching that budget I found almost $3 million in suggested cuts. The Town Council cut $1.8 million from that budget, prompting the BOE's decision to appeal. The State restored $200,000. In 2002 and 2003 the Town Council only cut about $500,000 - so these budgets were not appealed. Hope this helps.

Councilman Jim Mangin

ps - It's good to be back. Did you miss me?

Archived