Feeding Frenzy

Guest 2smart4u

"I rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammed inculcated upon our youth than see then grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principle. But the religion I mean to recommend in this place is the religion of JESUS CHRIST!" (Benjamin Rush, 1786). I wonder why he said that! B)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bewildered
"I rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammed inculcated upon our youth than see then grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principle. But the religion I mean to recommend in this place is the religion of JESUS CHRIST!" (Benjamin Rush, 1786).  I wonder why he said that!  :excl:

here is the actual quote:

Such is my veneration for every religion that reveals the attributes of the Deity, or a future state of rewards and punishments, that I had rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mahomed inculcated upon our youth, than see them grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principles. But the religion I mean to recommend in this place, is that of the New Testament.

The Selected Writings of Benjamin Rush. Edited by Dagobert D. Runes. New York: Philosophical Library, 1947.

Benjamin Rush was a Universalist. He also believed in forcible psychiatric treatment and bloodletting; He also taught that being black was an inherited defect.

"I rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammed inculcated upon our youth than see then grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principle. But the religion I mean to recommend in this place is the religion of JESUS CHRIST!" (Benjamin Rush, 1786).  I wonder why he said that!  <_<

"...whites should not intermarry with [blacks], for this would tend to infect posterity with the 'disorder'... attempts must be made to cure the disease." --Benjamin Rush

"I wonder why he said that! <_<" :P