Recruiting High School Athletes

exbluetider

I'd like to get a discussion going re:the recruiting of high school athletes. I read the article in The Observer regarding the basketball team at Queen of Peace. It seems that two young men transfered from St. Anthony's in Jersey City to play for QP. I'm trying to understand why someone would transfer from one of the elite programs in the COUNTRY to a program that, at best, has had mediocre success in a much less competetive environment. I'm sure if the question was posed to the AD at QP , the answer would be "we don't recruit", but you'd be hard-pressed to convince many people of that. It might be time for parents, who are paying to the tune of $5K-$8K a year to educate their children , to ask just that question. Is it any wonder AD's from other schools are upset with this policy. Further, when I was in high school, which is entirely too long ago to matter, a tranferred student had to sit for a year before becoming eligible to participate in athletics. The only caviate to that policy was when transferring from private to public schools, then a student could compete immediately.

I'm not pointing fingers, but only trying to get opinions of this practice.

The problem here is that you were or are from Harrison!!!

I'd like to get a discussion going re:the recruiting of high school athletes. I read the article in The Observer regarding the basketball team at Queen of Peace. It seems that two young men transfered from St. Anthony's in Jersey City to play for QP. I'm trying to understand why someone would transfer from one of the elite programs in the COUNTRY to a program that, at best, has had mediocre success in a much less competetive environment. I'm sure if the question was posed to the AD at QP , the answer would be "we don't recruit", but you'd be hard-pressed to convince many people of that. It might be time for parents, who are paying to the tune of $5K-$8K a year to educate their children , to ask just that question. Is it any wonder AD's from other schools are upset with this policy. Further, when I was in high school, which is entirely too long ago to matter, a tranferred student had to sit for a year before becoming eligible to participate in athletics. The only caviate to that policy was when transferring from private to public schools, then a student could compete immediately.

I'm not pointing fingers, but only trying to get opinions of this practice.

Guest In the know

The two kids in question left St. Anthony for QP because they weren't going to get the chance to play at St. Anthony

And they both transferred last year, so that makes them eligible this year

Hope this clears up the situation a little

One more thing. The transfer athlete is more common place now than ever, especially with the Parochial schools...kids bounce all over the place now and QP keeps its doors open because of transfers

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Dear Exbluetider, Your opinions are correct and the waters run much deeper than you know. Soon the truth will be known.

Exbluetider,

You would be even more intrigued if you had been at the Harrison vs. Emerson game on Friday afternoon to hear a young fellow from EN telling all in the stands that would listen to him that he is going to QP on a full ride for football and he doesn't have to do any class work or home work because he is a football player. I was appalled to hear this, it seems that the new QP football coaches are tapping into the Harrison resources because they are originally from Harrison and know what they are getting but they look past the trouble they may be stirring up.

If any of the QP coaching staff reads this and they don't want it leaked that they are recruiting they should tell their players to keep they mouths shut and not to go bragging in a very public forum about their easy life as a high school student.

God help these kids if they can't even succeed at getting a proper high school education...what will they do for a living because only 1% of high school football player make it to a D1 school and only 1% of them make it to the NFL so I hope these kids have real talent and somebody to take their SATs for them. Didn't QP have a running back a couple of years ago that they pushed through school because he was great on the field but he couldn't even get into Communitly College?