High School Progress and Drawbacks Thread

Guest Hall monitor

Guest Hall monitor

High School Parents, Teacher, Counselors, and Students let's use this thread to keep everyone in town informed as to whats going on in the High School. This year more than any other, should be the one most closely monitored by us, Seeing that there might be some attempted questionable practices put into place. First off I am a father of a senior student attending Harrison high school.

And from what my child has told me about the lunchtime bathroom break being monitored by a newly christened''Special Cop''. My child reported that of the seven bathroom units in the bathroom that the special cop was only allowing one student into the bathroom at a time, Instead of the usual seven. This is great for the kids choice of a toilet, But seriously Will this practice work on full days when all the students are in the hallway?, Will lining the kids up, letting one kid at a time .go into a bathroom built for seven really work? I think we all know who is behind this debacle, I dread going to the school looking at the huge black bars that surround it. Is the new ''special cop and the bathroom restriction another step to make our kids feel like prisoners?

This week the kids go to full day sessions, let's see what happens. Are there any other parents concerned with this ? Please feel free to voice your concerns here as well as contacting Mr Shields. the schools principal. But please let's use this forum in a dignified manner. We might need to refer to it if any legal action is ever needed to be taken. Our children are worth the effort to monitor their school.

Guest Concerned Mother.

Good idea to start a thread with the intention of keeping parents better informed. There are some changes happening at the school that will need to be watched. Why does the school need 2 vice principals? that's 2 salaries that should only be one. Many people talk about the Board of Ed. not knowing what it is doing.And this goes to show the parents that those people are right. Let's hope they figure things out. I give hope to my daughter, I remind her to do well in school and to do a good job. And the board of Ed has to do the same.. Chances should be given to the new Vice Principals. May the better man or woman get the job.

Bayonne, in my opinion, from the limited information dispersed, just got the OK to lower its standards for grading. An "A" is now like an 85, a "B" a 75 and so on because of the teachers mediocrity. Harrison's school scores have consistently been lower than Bayonne and other towns/cities in NJ. It's not the students fault. They can only be as good as the teacher. More importantly, these small town BOE's, like Kearny and Harrison, have an agenda of jobs and salaries instead of education being the main focus. The special crutch, not advantage, given to those students is wholly unfair. Being LESS prepared to take on the challenge of college and the future job market is NOT an advantage. Stop worrying about your kids bathroom habits and join together to get the politics and nepotism/patronage out of the B.O.E. Poor leadership = a poor product. The poor product in this case, sickeningly, is the children's futures. The good Teachers and Administrators applying in these towns don't stand a chance when someone's kid, brother, friend, etc...also wants that job. Just look at the Chicago teachers strike. The two sides won't budge on the always present issue, money, and who suffers as usual? The kids. These towns/cities didn't get in the shape they are in by GOOD leadership. It's just business as usual with friends and family running the show, qualified or not.

The Harrison Town council and the Bored of Education should combine into 1 unit for several reasons. Neither has a member that is a true educator, none claim responsibilty for their actions, they are lifelong politicians and cronies, have the same methods of mismanagement and corrupt practices, and when they waste millions of dollars they raise taxes. It would be convenient for the Mayor to walk out of just one meeting a month if asked a question because he would be the Mayor/B.O.E. president.

What qualified the ex-JC concilmen to be a Vice-Principal. From what I see he has no background in the educational field. Where was the search for a qualified candidate statewide or from out of state to find a qualified Vice Principal or Principal. Applications? Interviews? Public input? There has never been a job application to fill out for the town of Harrison and the people think that's a great thing. Every employee does not have to be related to Hudson County politics. I realize that is just a fantasy, but there is a world outside of Hudson County. Call the Mayors secretary and ask her ($130,000/year) where you can get a job application for a job in Harrison. The only truthful answer could be that THERE ARE NONE. A successful Hedge Fund manager could ask for a job as town treasurer and the only question they would ask him is, "What coucilman told you to call?" PATHETIC

Guest Big Willie

This Topic was started and should remain focused on our kids and any disruptions in their education. Harrison High School students. No one cares about Bayonne , And for us the parents to try and gather evidence of things that are unfair, So we can possibly change the wrongs.We need to focus on the kids, Start your own thread if you are not a parent. The points you brought up are relevant but don't belong here.

My son's guidance counselor is doing a great job , steering him in the right direction. It's nice to see someone take theit job seriously and give a damn about the kids Thank you Mr Healy

Guest Educations Best

Big Willie, it seems that nobody cares about their kids education and it is reflected in their grades. One person spoke up about the bathroom and that's it. Anyone reading your post realizes that you probably didn't graduate high school so you are not someone to critique anything related to education. The progressive visionary Raymond McDonough has gifted the Town of Harrison with a fantastic campus, top notch faculty, and a B.O.E. that is second to none. Harrison H.S. is a college prep. institution that the residents should pray daily for this gift they have been given. An opportunity to take full advantage of this beacon of leadership does not arise often in life. The majestic rural feel of the campus is enough in itself to inspire any student to move forward to an Ivy League school such as New Jersey State University.

Donations should be pouring in to a fund to give quarterly bonuses to the B.O.E. members for their dedication and sleepless nights thinking of ways to better educate the children of Harrison if that is possible. It's hard to improve on a school system that consistently produces only the best. Get out that checkbook and be generous. Do not forget your generous donation to the yearly Mayoral cocktail party to show appreciation. Ask not what Harrison can do for you, but what can you do for Harrison?

Just like every department in town the BOE is corrupt from the crowned prince to his toad security guard *****! plz explain to me why and when did you post that job?? the xtra secretary to help out a washed up ******* ******. let not forget the ex chief and his lazy ass assistant who both roll around town gossipping. while we are at it what about the expense of this new medical transportation? if im paying top dollar i dont want some meadowlands snot nose kid telling me he only goes to st michaels hospital? really? same goes for the fact that they park in the handicapp spce at the bergen mall in front of the dunkin donuts to grab coffee all the time then go lights and sirens up to kearny to hang with that misfit crew. really mayor?? its bad enough ive had words with them when they block my driveway on cleveland avenue to wash their personal vehicles. every night you can catch them hanging out,blocking traffic, reallymayor? the funniest part the cops just walk by as if nothing is going on. not that they give a sh8t either. they hang on their phones outside or have their friends park in the chief's and mayor spot all night long. really mayor? same guys who when they want to stress a point would issue their mother. what a sad group of idiots and under the direction of a crook do we have working in town! :angry:

Edited by KOTW
Content.

• 2 weeks later...