A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

Guest James Peterson

Matt,

I read the article about you from the NYT on newsvine.com and felt the need to tell you that it was a very brave thing that you did and the whole nation is proud of you (well, atleast a good 55 percent of us.)

If you lost friends because of this matter, don't worry...they apparently weren't real friends anyways and are probably jealous of the attention you're getting for actually speaking up.

God bless, and thanks for defending the Constitution. B)

- James Peterson

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As difficult as this has been, it's best that you learn the world is full of small-minded, superstitious hicks, but there are rational humans around as well. Stay strong, keep fighting the good fight against primitive beliefs in non-existent entities. You have my utmost respect for your strength and determination!

Guest Bryson Brown

Hi Matt--

We really admire your strong stand--we desperately need people who have the courage to defend the rights of religious minorities, including especially the right of high school students not to be subjected to crude indoctrination and abuse in class. We're horrified that some people think their freedom of religion includes the right to tell a captive audience of young people that the non-evangelicals and non-Christians among them are going to hell. You're doing a great public service by revealing this teacher's ugly fanaticism for what it is.

Bryson, Linde & Tessa.

Guest Pierce R. Butler

Bravo, Matthew LaClair!

And best wishes also to David Paszkiewicz - in a future job at Bob Jones University, Jerry Falwell's school, McDonald's drive-thru, or anyplace other than a public institute of education.

Guest Bob O'H

Matt, count Finland in as another place doffing it's cap to you! I won't try and compete with the elegance of what others have written, but (as I guess you've realised), a lot of us support you for what you did.

Oh, and it's also a pleasure to see that there are some real Christians left in the US, being nice to people!

Bob

You did the right thing, school is no place for religious proselytizing... don't let anybody tell you that what you did was wrong. If it were a private, Christian school, sure.. but not a public school supported by the taxpayers and government...

Remember separation of church and state?

You and the rest of the country are seeing what religious fundamentalism is all about - it's dangerous and can easily lead to intolderance, hatred and violence - even from those who claim to believe in a loving god.

http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites...rootofevil.html

Guest Ophelia Benson, 'Butterflies

Well done, Matthew. No, all in all, taking a wide view, keeping an open mind, all things considered - no, I don't think a teacher of Consitutional history in a public school should be telling students that if they reject what JC said they belong in hell. That's my considered view.

Actually my view is stronger than that, but I thought a little irony might be refreshing by now.

My fullest support and respect for your position and legitimate complaint.

It's sad to see the "love of god" showing through some of these ad hominem attacks and threats.

their actions show their hearts, and out of the abundance of the heart, their mouths speak... and it's filled with venom (save for a few).

it takes guts to do what you're doing, and I and my family support you.

Guest Tim Webster

Gosh, when I think of how naive I was as a high school student, and compare my memory of how I was with the articulate and lucid person I just heard on WNYC radio, I am astonished. At Matthew's age, I was a conformist sheep, who was brought up to believe in the correctness of authority. Service in Vietnam changed that for me.

One of the heroes of my life is the late Sen. Sam Ervin, Democrat from North Carolina, a conservative and Constitutional strict-constructionist, who was chairman of the Senate Select Committee on the Watergate in 1973, and one of several players in that crisis who helped preserve the rule of law and process in this country against the excesses of the Nixon administration. Ervin left behind observations on the Constitution that are relevant to the present atmosphere:

"I believe in a wall between church and state so high that no one can climb over it. When religion controls government, political liberty dies; and when government controls religion, religious liberty perishes."

Thank you, Matthew, for acting boldly to maintain the traditions that have made this country what it is (was?), a symbol of liberty.

Guest AggroBoy

Good work Matt.

The way your teacher behaved was wrong, both morally and legally and no amount of personal attacks by your peers can change that fact.

I can't imagine how hard this must have been on you; it's never easy to stand up and be counted, but you should know that it's worth it. Every little act of belief in what's right contributes to a wider change in attitudes. Keep it up.

What I find impossible to understand is how the teacher in question has escaped without reprimand.

Hi Matthew,

We have our share of fundamentalists here in Norway - and Europe as well, but are quite appalled at the situation you have to face over there. Don't let them get you, and know that you have a lot of friends supporting you!

Guest Congrats from Belgium

Religion is the opposite of education and has nothing to do in a school.

Congrats from Belgium.

"Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church." (Unknown)

Guest Patriot
Matt,

I just wanted to show my support for you. Do not be saddened by the negative response of some of your neighbors, extremeists are ironically hateful that way. Just know that you did the right thing, no one should be subjected to that, especially at school. I had a teacher tell me once that I was going to hell. It was a hateful thing to say, but you just have to brush it past.

--Kirsten

Berkeley, CA

Berkeley, CA. ???? Now there's a bastion of radical-left Kool-aid drinkers and pot smokers. Your teacher told you you were going to hell ? And of course you did nothing to deserve that comment, right ?

Matthew,

Well done. I recognize how hard it is to speak up. I spoke up against religious indoctrination in public school when I was in the second grade. I never could have done it, but I had the Supreme Court behind me -- as do you.

-Mark

Guest Jordan Oezer

Matthew,

I want to commend you for helping to champion the separation of Church and State. You will undoubtably recieve alot of criticism, not just because you have the strength of character to stand up against those who choose to attempt to destroy many of the principles of our Constitution and Bill of Rights, but because you also have the gall to question someone in a position of authority as well. I hope you know that you have support from many many Americans, as well as people around the world who believe that knowledge is power, and will not suffer the oppression and fear-mongering of religous idealogues.

Thank you Matthew.

Guest marnita

Matthew! Thanks so much for standing up for reason and the separation of church and state.

I am just one of the many million proud members of the reality based community, who are out here wishing you all the best in the world!

Continue on with your leadership!

best, m!